Ingredient Source 911

Anna Blume

I would use it. The worst that might happen is a bit of fermentation, and that's not a bad thing. I have a vague recollection of a famous chef who left chickpeas soaking for a couple of days in the fridge. They got a little fizzy, and when she cooked them, the flavor was wonderful. I wish I could remember who that was.

Three Stars has a homebrew shop.

Woah! This is amazing news. The closest LHBS is in Falls Church. I visited once and I don't think I would return again. It was tiny, nothing to browse, everything was kept int he back.

Maryland Homebrew is the best in the area, but don't get out to Columbia ... ever. http://stores.mdhb.com/StoreFront.bok

I will be checking out 3 Stars, thanks !

Gooseneck barnacles (aka percebes)? I saw a tweet from Rogue 24 that they are serving them. If I could get my hands on some of those guys and steam them, I would never have to buy my wife another gift. She became completely obsessed with them last summer in Spain.

Does anyone know where you can buy Trahana locally? We can order it online, but it will cost more to ship the product that the actual ingredient costs.

I would check with Yekta Market in Rockville, Aphrodite Greek Imports in Bailey's Crossroads, or Mediterranean Bakery in Alexandria.

Does anyone know where you can buy Trahana locally? We can order it online, but it will cost more to ship the product that the actual ingredient costs.

I would check with Yekta Market in Rockville, Aphrodite Greek Imports in Bailey's Crossroads, or Mediterranean Bakery in Alexandria.

I happened to be in Mediterranean Bakery yesterday and didn't see it there. I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for, but didn't see it on the shelves and an employee wasn't familiar with it.

Hi Everyone, if you see an email from a farm that has PYO tart cherries this weekend can you please post? I was planning to go to Homestead Farms.. but they only had them last weekend. I hope I didn't miss my jam opportunity for the year.

Hi Everyone, if you see an email from a farm that has PYO tart cherries this weekend can you please post? I was planning to go to Homestead Farms.. but they only had them last weekend. I hope I didn't miss my jam opportunity for the year.

Larriland says they won't start tart cherries until next week.

Great Country Farms in Bluemont has PYO tart cherries this week. My wife and 5-year old daughter picked a bunch yesterday. Call before heading to the farm on the weekend to confirm that they are still available.

• Like 1

Larriland says they won't start tart cherries until next week.

They have pick your own tart cherries at Hollin Farms in Virginia. We were there last week and they had tons. It is $10 per bag. Each adult has to buy a bag. Each bag is in the 4# range. But you also need someone really tall to be efficient. They call those machines cherry pickers for a reason.

I already checked that out, but didn't know what kind of packaging or in what section of the store it might be located.

Lekkerwijn, what are you planning to do with it? Make the soup described in the Wiki info

I bought the Greek cookbook Vefa's Kitchen at Costco on a whim. They have some interesting trahana recipes in there- both sweet and savory. Now that I can't easily locate the ingredient it makes me want to try to cook with it even more. Much like when I tried to track down fresh made clotted cream and tried to bribe an ag school graduate student with access to cows to make me some.

• Like 1

I messaged some farms on facebook also and if anyone is interested- Rock Hill Orchard in Mount Airy will have them this weekend. And Baughers in westminster should have them starting on the 28th.

Thank you for all the tips everyone!

That's sold in the US as superfine sugar. It's available in Domino brand at a lot of grocery stores. I've never tried making it at home but have heard that grinding granulated sugar in a food processor works. You want to get it very fine but not to the point of powder.

I want to make an English recipe which calls for caster sugar,which I understand is the same as "baker's sugar." Anyone know where I can find that in this area?

India Tree brand baking sugars are available at Whole Foods. I've seen them in other stores, too, usually gourmet stores but I can't recall specifics at the moment. They are quite pricey, though.

eta: try La Cuisine in Alexandria

That's sold in the US as superfine sugar. It's available in Domino brand at a lot of grocery stores. I've never tried making it at home but have heard that grinding granulated sugar in a food processor works. You want to get it very fine but not to the point of powder.

I stopped by Balducci's this afternoon, and they have packages labeled "Caster Sugar." Based on your comment I bought a package of Domino's Superfine instead, and saved about $4. Many thanks.

What's the recipe? If it's a cake, you should be perfectly fine using regular refined sugar. I use that for all my UK recipes that need caster sugar.

A recipe for plain, ordinary English scones. The only scones i can find around here (e.g., at the Swiss Bakery, or Starbucks, or Panera Bread) are always fancy--made with strawberries, or nuts,or some special topping. I wanted a simple, plain one, and the recipe I found called for caster sugar. I made them today using the superfine granulated sugar, and they came out fine.

That's sold in the US as superfine sugar...I've never tried making it at home but have heard that grinding granulated sugar in a food processor works. You want to get it very fine but not to the point of powder.

I've done this in the processor and it works!

And, Pat, I am too tired to check where you advised me on Giant for pinenuts, but in my neck of the woods, no luck! (Aurora brand is same old same old type). I will try another store. Thanks for tip.

I picked up a small and rather pricey bag of sago starch this spring from a historical (Colonial era) reenactment victualler, with a mind to making sago pudding a la the Aubrey-Maturin novels, but ended up fascinated instead by the Indonesian dessert kueh lapis. Most of the kueh recipes I found online consciously substituted tapioca starch for true sago - a starch extracted from the pith of the sago palm and used as a staple food in New Guinea - which suggests the relative difficulty of finding the real thing even in Asia. My local Lotte and Super H carry plenty of tapioca in flour and pearl form, but no sago. To make matters worse, in Indian cuisine, sabudana is used interchangeably to refer to both tapioca and sago, and products consisting of one are apparently commonly mislabeled as the other, or both.

Now honestly, I don't know that there's a big practical difference between using sago and using tapioca, both of which produce an elastic, jelly-like consistency. But does anybody know where I can buy real sago in this area?

Looking for Katz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc vinegar. I know I've bought it locally but can't recall where. For that matter, can anyone recommend a store with a wide selection of interesting vinegars?

Not sure about that particular item, but Mediterranean Bakery usually has quite a variety of vinegars (and jams and hot sauces, etc.).

The olive oil boutiques (such as Olio in Old Town or Ah Love Oil and Vinegar in Shirlington/Mosaic Dictrict) have flavored vinegars, though they may be mostly balsamic-based.

No, but Costco has Christmas decorations out :rolleyes:

I know.  I've been trying to ignore them. :)  I suppose it's my punishment for forgetting to drop a bag of cranberries in the freezer last year.

Edited to add that, moments after I thought about my lack of freezer cranberries, it occurred to me I could freeze the habaneros until the cranberries come in.  Doh!

I know.  I've been trying to ignore them. :)  I suppose it's my punishment for forgetting to drop a bag of cranberries in the freezer last year.

Edited to add that, moments after I thought about my lack of freezer cranberries, it occurred to me I could freeze the habaneros until the cranberries come in.  Doh!

I've got a couple of bags of cranberries in the freezer, if you want them.  They are from last year (and maybe the year before). Someone in my family (?) gets excited when they show up fresh at the local supermarket--eventhough we have no idea what to do with them. Anybody who would like them is free to PM me.

I've got a couple of bags of cranberries in the freezer, if you want them.  They are from last year (and maybe the year before). Someone in my family (?) gets excited when they show up fresh at the local supermarket--eventhough we have no idea what to do with them. Anybody who would like them is free to PM me.

Thank you!  I wish I saw this post earlier.  Unfortunately, I already gave my money to Whole Paycheck where they are five bucks for a little bag in the frozen foods.  I'll do better this year and remember to freeze extra.

If you are looking for something to make with yours, this liqueur is amazing.  I know it sounds a little odd, but it makes a great margarita (sub for triple sec) and a nice Cosmopolitan too.  I make it every year around Halloween and it is gone by Christmas.

Thank you!  I wish I saw this post earlier.  Unfortunately, I already gave my money to Whole Paycheck where they are five bucks for a little bag in the frozen foods.  I'll do better this year and remember to freeze extra.

If you are looking for something to make with yours, this liqueur is amazing.  I know it sounds a little odd, but it makes a great margarita (sub for triple sec) and a nice Cosmopolitan too.  I make it every year around Halloween and it is gone by Christmas.

This sounds really delicious. Do you have a source for nice presentation bottles for gifting? Any recs?

What brands of vodka do you use or can you recommend that balance decent quality with price?

I'm thinking about making this, and limoncello for holiday gifts this year. It'll be a new adventure B)

^ You don't need to use a high quality vodka.  I have used good ones and cheap ones, and by the time the fruit steeps, any nuance will be gone and you won't be able to tell a difference.  Just go for higher proof for a better extract.

I buy the lorina lemonades and save the bottles.  I think World Market carries some bottles if you want to buy them empty. :)

^

Thanks! Just searching around Amazon, I see what I'm looking for under "glass bottle swing top". Now... figure out how to make nice labels.

I'm glad you brought this up because now seems to be the time to start these infusion projects for holiday gifts.