#301 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

^

Thanks! Just searching around Amazon, I see what I'm looking for under "glass bottle swing top". Now... figure out how to make nice labels.

I'm glad you brought this up because now seems to be the time to start these infusion projects for holiday gifts.

This is place I have long gone to for labels when I was bottling limoncello to give at Christmas time:

http://www.myownlabels.com/

I also got bottles from specialtybottles.com

Maybe the cranberry liqueur will be more successful than the faux plum schnapps I made from a WaPo article last year.  Nobody liked it, including me.

#302 Scott Johnston

Scott Johnston

Haggis the other pate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Giant White Beans:

Whole foods has a mariated giant white Bean salad that we are in love with. However, they do not sell the beans, anyone seen them? I will post a picture later, but they are an inch+ across.

No more wafer thin mints for me!!!!

#303 monavano

monavano

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

They could be large lima beans. I've seen them at mercados.

#304 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Like these?

#305 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

Giant White Beans:
Whole foods has a mariated giant white Bean salad that we are in love with. However, they do not sell the beans, anyone seen them? I will post a picture later, but they are an inch+ across.

Those are called gigante beans, and you can find them at Middle-Eastern markets like Yekta, next door to Joe's Noodle House.

#306 saf

saf

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Thanks! Just searching around Amazon

You can also get them from homebrew shops. That way you don't have to pay shipping.

Sarah In Petworth

#307 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

A pound of gorgeous, organic, kaffir limes is winging it's way to me from California, so I need some equally excellent lemongrass to make some curry pastes.  Has anyone seen any that was really fresh?  And for the really long shot, how about cilantro root? 

#308 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

I know that The Farm at Sunnyside was bringing lemon grass to the Dupont Circle farmers market a few weeks ago, and when they bring cilantro, oftentimes it still has the roots on. Last week they were selling young ginger, turmeric and galangal. You might contact them and see if they have any and can bring it next Sunday. They are located in Little Washington, VA. Dupont is the only DC area market they come to.

#309 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

^ Unfortunately, DuPont is a long hike for me.  Plus, the limes are coming tomorrow, and I'm antsy to make the curry pastes.   

#310 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

I've bought lemongrass from this inside vendor at Eastern Market.  I don't know that I'm the best judge of freshness of that ingredient, but they carry a lot of herbs, and they're always fresh and of good quality.  You could try calling them.  The number is in that link.

#311 Fishinnards

Fishinnards

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

A pound of gorgeous, organic, kaffir limes is winging it's way to me from California, so I need some equally excellent lemongrass to make some curry pastes.  Has anyone seen any that was really fresh?  And for the really long shot, how about cilantro root? 

Great Wall sells cilantro with and without roots (at both locations). Lately they have been trimming off the long parts of the roots, but they leave enough root to use, and the roots are big. They need to be washed well. The lemongrass at Bangkok 54 varies in freshness, but is usually fresher than other places with less turnover e.g. Shoppers Food etc. Though I haven't been in a while, I suspect Eden Center grocery may be a good source for lemongrass, due to high turnover.

I've taken to growing cilantro for the roots, as well. I also grow lemongrass, but it's all gone now. The freshness of just harvested lemongrass is hard to beat.

BTW where did you order your limes from? I need to do that.

#312 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

^ I ordered from La Vigne Organics in California.  With shipping, it was a bit over $20 for a pound, and that should be somewhere between 12 and 16 limes.  They had great reviews, but, just in case, I'll let everyone know how they are. 

#313 mleese

mleese

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

Wegmans in Fairfax sometimes has cilantro plants with roots attached (although they did not today). I think it depends on their supplier. I usually freeze the roots whenever I get cilantro with the roots attached.
  • Fishinnards likes this

#314 Fishinnards

Fishinnards

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

FYI Bangkok 54 has fresh kaffir limes today! A pack of 3 is $3.50. I bought 3 packs, so there is only one or two packs left, but they may get more.

#315 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

I got my box from La Vigne today, and it looks like this:

kaflime.jpg

I ordered one pound, and they sent a crate.  I think someone who ordered a crate is going to be pretty mad, and I've got to go start peeling. 

• zoramargolis and Fishinnards like this

#316 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Posting again to say that I wrote the vendor about the mix-up and heard nothing back, so it may be that this is the amount of limes one received for $23.50. 

#317 Fishinnards

Fishinnards

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Posting again to say that I wrote the vendor about the mix-up and heard nothing back, so it may be that this is the amount of limes one received for $23.50. 

Just curious, when I was playing around on the website, it would not allow me to check out unless my order was over $10 (before shipping), and I think the limes were less than $10 a pound. I had to put 2 Lbs in my cart to see what the shipping would be. How were you able to make an order for just 1 lb. and then check out?

#318 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Just curious, when I was playing around on the website, it would not allow me to check out unless my order was over $10 (before shipping), and I think the limes were less than $10 a pound. I had to put 2 Lbs in my cart to see what the shipping would be. How were you able to make an order for just 1 lb. and then check out?

Her picture doesn't look like 1 pound to me  :D

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#319 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

^^ I bought through Amazon.com.

#320 Fishinnards

Fishinnards

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

^^ I bought through Amazon.com.

Thanks! I just ordered some. Maybe I'll get a crate too!

#321 Fishinnards

Fishinnards

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Alas, I received merely a pound (14) of very good quality kaffir limes. They will join their friends in the freezer.

#322 hungry prof

hungry prof

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

Thinking about making pretzels, so I need food-grade lye.  Anybody know where I can find it, preferably in MoCo or NW DC?  Thanks.

#323 TheMatt

TheMatt

Man Among Men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thinking about making pretzels, so I need food-grade lye.  Anybody know where I can find it, preferably in MoCo or NW DC?  Thanks.

Well, I've seen "lye water" at Chinese markets before. I think it's used for noodles. A quick search around the net someone said if you dilute it 5x, it's about equivalent to pretzel-dip strength...but that's the internet saying that.

Frankly, I had too much "experience" with NaOH as a chem student to want it near me in a kitchen. Nasty stuff.

TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#324 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

Has anyone seen Meyer lemons yet this season?

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

#325 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

Has anyone seen Meyer lemons yet this season?

I've gotten them at Trader Joe's. Also have seen them at Whole Foods and Balducci.

#326 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

I'm pretty sure I've bought Plugra at Trader Joe's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users