Rittenhouse Rye

Ace Beverage also just got the unstated-but-6-year-old Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond (they also have the 80 proof) back in stock, which has to be the most stupendous value currently available in a very good basic rye. Ace's shelf price is something like $13 but moreover, it's in very short supply throughout the northeast this month following back-to-back accolades on both coasts. At LeNell's in NYC last weekend, the only topics customers kept discussing were rumors of distant stores that might have the Rittenhouse in stock, and how far into NJ or CT they'd have to travel to find a bottle. If you run across it, stock up. Heaven Hill is said to only run one batch per year...indicative of rye's popularity compared to bourbon.

Rittenhouse bottled-in-bond is the only cocktail whiskey you'll ever need. Peppery for when you want drier whiskey, unctuous/caramelly for when you want richer whiskey, higher proof so it shows through. Beautiful.

And I'm having a delightful (neat) pour of the 80 proof right now.

Okay, so who around town carries the Rittenhouse bottled-in-bond rye whiskey? And who the Carpano Antica Formula vermouth? (I can testify from today's research that neither Chevy Chase nor Calvert Woodley carries either.) I'm currently drinking what may very well be the first Manhattan I've ever had, made with Old Overholt, Vya sweet vermouth, and Fee Bros. aromatic bitters, and I must say it's very nice. I've generally stayed away from whiskey-based cocktails because they're usually made with bourbon, which I dislike (actually, the aversion is stronger than mere dislike), and Scotch used in a cocktail seems, well, weird. This rye stuff isn't bad. I should think that a decent variant of this cocktail could be made with Irish as well.

On 9/19/2016 at 9:45 PM, Pool Boy said:

Rittenhouse has become my go to for many rye based cocktails.

Snd I went to three different Laurel liquor stores that were each out of this. GRRR. I am trying a Pikesville Rye as a result (as a cocktail base).

On 12/14/2006 at 7:33 PM, jparrott said:

Rittenhouse bottled-in-bond is the only cocktail whiskey you'll ever need. Peppery for when you want drier whiskey, unctuous/caramelly for when you want richer whiskey, higher proof so it shows through. Beautiful.

And I'm having a delightful (neat) pour of the 80 proof right now.

Can anyone confirm that Rittenhouse B-i-B 80-Proof Rye is as good as it was ten years ago? And does anyone know what it costs these days?

I think Wild Turkey 101 (both the Rye and the Bourbon) is one of the most underrated whiskys on the market, because people hear "Wild Turkey" and they think it's crap; it isn't - it is very, very good: good enough to have neat.

Better still, and not much more expensive, is the Wild Turkey Single-Barrel Rare Breed, which I just had the other evening. This isn't *much* better than the 101, but it's better, and surprisingly, despite its higher Proof, it comes across as being smoother (even though the higher alcohol content is evident). 

Look for both Wild Turkey 101s (not the 80s), and the Single-Barrel Rare Breed (which is something like 120 Proof - they also have a lower-Proof version, but just add an ice cube instead).

One question: Is anything made by Four Roses not worth buying? I'm often overwhelmed when looking at the Bourbon aisle, and there are bottles that I just can't remember are "really good" or "really overrated." I *think* Four Roses falls into the "really good" category, but I'm not sure.

5 minutes ago, mr food said:

agree on the 101. I keep a 1.75 on the bar at all times. Have you tried Bowman Brothers-the small batch bottling? To me, an incredible value but getting harder to find.

No, but I just made a permanent mental note - is it single-barrel, or just labeled small batch?