Growlers

dcs

Yep, I got one at Cap City in Shirlington. Sweetwater Tavern (Merrifield for sure, presumably others as well) also sells them. I believe I've seen them at Shenandoah Brewing Company in Alexandria, too.

This article in today's New York Times got me wondering where I could get a growler in the DC metro area. Maybe we could use this thread to keep a running list. Anone know?

I have to borrow a moment to pay homage to early growler advocates Theo DeGroen's Baltimore Brewing Co (R.I.P.), which imported those great aluminum-handled swingtop growlers in the early '90s, probably through the family's Grolsch connections. I used to pick up growlers of their Märzen from Snowden River Liquors in Columbia.

When gubeen lived around the corner from Bierkraft, referenced in the NYT article above, the big thing was that they could fill growlers with beer that had been run through their "Hop Back" device - basically a multi-stage copy of Dogfish Head's "Randall the Enamel Animal" hop infuser, also built out of water filtration components. But I see that they're also filling growlers with real ale now. Niiiiiiiiiice.

Are we talking growlers only of local beer, or growlers in general? I got a growler of Bell's Oberon from Whole Foods (P Street) last spring; I think they carry other producers occasionally too.

When I think growler, I think more of the refillable kind. I checked out the Whole Foods Bowery beer room last time I was in NYC. It would be pretty sweet to have something like this in DC. I wonder if there are any laws against filling growlers in DC proper, though?

Also, in Philly there's a new place I stopped in at called Hawthorne's that fills growlers. Their specialty is hard to find beers. We're talking growler fills of Lost Abbey, Russian River, Ballast Point, etc... pretty unbelievable selections.

Also, in Philly there's a new place I stopped in at called Hawthorne's that fills growlers. Their specialty is hard to find beers. We're talking growler fills of Lost Abbey, Russian River, Ballast Point, etc... pretty unbelievable selections.

I just stumbled into The Charleston Beer Exchange (in Charleston, SC) that does this (aside from just selling some incredible bottles...that store was just amazing.

(ol_i, you can throw this post over to Traveler if you want ... and use the info for your own purposes! :angry: )

Growlers are illegal in DC. Other than DC I get them all over the place. I keep about six empties around the house. The brewpubs all have different and seemingly inconsistent rules about filling growlers. For example, Rock Bottom requires Rock Bottom growlers. I have gone back and forth on this with their home office and it boils down to a lable/legal issue. In other words what's written on the growler must match what's in the growler. So Rock Bottom won't put their beer in a Gordon Biersch growler. Rock Bottom also does not put its seasonals in growlers I think because they are limited production beers and management wants the beers to stick around as long as possible. Also, a few retailers sell growlers from kegs, the only one that comes to mind is in Charlottesville but I think there are some closer in.

Other places that sell growlers in no particular order: Franklin's in Hyattsville, Rock Bottom Bethesda and Shirlington, Growler's in Gaithersburg, Gordon Biersch Tyson's and Rockville, Cap City Shirlington, Sweetwater - Sterling, Merrifield, Centreville, Blue & Gray Fredericksburg, Dogfish Head, Rehoboth and the Baltimore places already mentioned. There are many more - register at www.ratebeer.com and you can find just about everywhere in the country that sells growlers.

Cheers!

Wholefoods Fairlakes has growlers. It is a pretty amazing set up. I was there for the first time a few weeks ago. They had about nine very good beers on draft. You can bring your own growler or buy one from them at a nominal charge. They are the screw top growlers like cider jugs so nothing fancy. I brought my own and got a growler of Stone IPA for $9.99. I am used to paying a little less for the beer at my local Rock Bottom but it is still a pretty good deal. The beer stations are at the raw bar, the barbeque bar and the cheese bar. Overall it is a great store but not in my neck of the woods so I will probably never go there regularly but if I am anywhere near there and I have an extra half hour to spare I will definitely go there for the prepared foods alone. The regular wine and beer selection is pretty good too but I would not go very far out of my way for them.

The Smuggler's Pub in Telluride, CO has them: $9.50 or $6.50 for a refill. A guy on the gondola offered to trade me his weed for the oatmeal stout growler I was carrying, until he realized he'd left it in his other pants. On account of he was high. Also, his snowboard was literally broken in half. Possibly because he was trying to impress a girl... and was high.

God I love it there.

Whole Foods in Reston also sells growlers. Quite impressed by the selection and price. 64oz of Bell's Best Brown Ale was $9.99 (of which, $3 is the growler deposit). Not bad...

The Fair Lakes Whole Foods sells them as well.

It's definitely the best-smelling grocery store I've ever been in.

The Fair Lakes Whole Foods sells them as well.

The chalkboard outside the Clarendon Whole Foods this morning announced that they are now filling growlers, but damned if I could see where when I whipped through the place at 8am.

The chalkboard outside the Clarendon Whole Foods this morning announced that they are now filling growlers, but damned if I could see where when I whipped through the place at 8am.

behind the cheese counter!

Another addition to the list: Our new local brewery Port City is selling growlers from their tasting room on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons / evenings (see website for details).

Another addition to the list: Our new local brewery Port City is selling growlers from their tasting room on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons / evenings (see website for details).

And has just started opening the tasting room and filling growlers on Wednesday evenings too. Picked up some Optimal Wit and some Essential Pale Ale.

And has just started opening the tasting room and filling growlers on Wednesday evenings too. Picked up some Optimal Wit and some Essential Pale Ale.

Will Iota fill growlers from other places? And does Whole Foods Old Town have a growler filling station?

Will Iota fill growlers from other places?

You should call them to verify, but when I was in there they definitely made it sound like purchasing their container was optional. I did not, however, directly ask that question.

As I just posted in the D.C Brau thread, you can go to thier brewery, on Bladensburg Rd. NE, and buy growlers for $16, and refill them for $10. Growlers are NOT illegal in D.C.; according to this City Paper article, D.C. actually had no laws dealing with growlers, but the issue has been addressed.

It's interesting that the City Paper article says there are no laws dealing with growlers but DC Brau's website says the following:

If you are bringing your own growler to fill, we can only fill screw-top growlers. Due to DC law, we can not fill flip-top growlers as they do not meet the regulations for a "sealed container".

So I wonder why their interpretation of what makes a "sealed container" causes them to only fill screw-tops. I cannot fathom any reason why a screw-top would be more of a "sealed container" than a flip-top. They say that they're shrink-wrapping the growlers, so perhaps they can't physically shrink-wrap a flip-top for some reason?

Whatever the reason, at least I read this before I attempt to make the hike out to the brewery while lugging my growler.

So I wonder why their interpretation of what makes a "sealed container" causes them to only fill screw-tops. I cannot fathom any reason why a screw-top would be more of a "sealed container" than a flip-top. They say that they're shrink-wrapping the growlers, so perhaps they can't physically shrink-wrap a flip-top for some reason?

They use a plastic ring about an inch high and seal it with an industrial hand held heater. Comes out like the clear seal around the lid on normal jars/plastic containers. No way it would work on flip tops.

I believe that D.C. Alcohol Beverage Regulatory Agency had to create laws for growlers due to D.C. BraĂĽ's inquiry.

Yes, the extant laws addressed "sealed containers", but I believe the wording may have been vague; no telling how long ago those particular laws were written or updated.

D.C. BraĂĽ simply didn't want to run afoul of any potential interpretation that might expose them to legal penalties.

They use a plastic ring about an inch high and seal it with an industrial hand held heater. Comes out like the clear seal around the lid on normal jars/plastic containers. No way it would work on flip tops.

ah, that makes sense--thanks! I was thinking it was more wide swaths of plastic wrapping rather than the normal plastic rings.

I'm getting into this discussion late in the game, but has anyone mentioned Growlers to get a growler? If you're looking for empties, you can also check out local homebrew shops. I was looking at getting them wholesale, but they are still damn expensive unless you order in bulk. Check out Maryland Homebrew.

If you're looking for alternative places to fill a growler, we fill them for $10.

I'm getting into this discussion late in the game, but has anyone mentioned Growlers to get a growler? If you're looking for empties, you can also check out local homebrew shops. I was looking at getting them wholesale, but they are still damn expensive unless you order in bulk. Check out Maryland Homebrew.

If you're looking for alternative places to fill a growler, we fill them for $10.

I'd also check out KegWorks.com They also carry growler accessories. Worth a look, if only for comparison shopping.

Port City Brewing Company is now selling neoprene growler koozies! I picked one up today. I'm not sure if $14.95 is expensive or not, but they fit most growlers and have a handy carrying strap. Considering I spent the entire day running errands and having about 8 or 9 stops, I think me and the jug of Essential Pale Ale will spend some quality time on the patio tomorrow.

Chocolate City Beer is now selling growlers at their (very small) brewery on 8th Street NE near Catholic University. We stopped by this past Saturday, which was their first day selling growlers. They had only their Cornerstone Copper Ale available, but indicated that they hoped to have other beers available in the near future. They'll be open on future Saturdays in the afternoon going forward. Cost is $6 for the growler, $10 for a fill.

Yet another reason to love living in Atlanta - growlers-a-plenty! Numerous local beer-sellers have rotating taps for growler filling. The place we went just today (called Ale Yeah!) sells the actual growler container for $4.99 (64 ounces), and the refills cost anywhere from $8.99 to $16.99, depending on the beer. They have 8 taps, and they change them sometimes daily - for example, a local brew that was newly available THIS MORNING was sold out when we arrived around 2 PM. Another place in town, Hop City, has 16 rotating taps. The growler is simply emblazoned with the store's logo (not a particular beer), so you can wash it out and bring it in to refill it with whatever you'd like next. Hooray beer!

A little update on this thread. In the last legislative session in Maryland, a bill was passed which would allow retailers in Baltimore City to fill growlers. This bill was specifically geared towards Max's Taphouse which has 140 draft lines and 5 cask lines. Based upon this legislation, Peter Franchot took an opportunity to review the laws on growler pours. Based upon his review, he determined that the type of producer license Flying Dog has did not allow for the re-filling of growlers (they can fill a growler once when it is a "new" bottle). He came to this conclusion because the other classes of producer licenses (like the one that Growler's in Gaithersburg has) specifically permitted the filling and re-filling of growlers. His interpretation was probably wrong, because FD's license does not specifically prohibit the practice. Needless to say, FD has taken a conservative approach and has ceased filling growlers. They are currently working with a local house/senate representative to have the law changed. They anticipate the new legislation being passed in the 2013 session.

Can't believe no one mentioned Sweetwater Tavern!

Besides Sweetwater, the new Whole Foods Pub in Clarendon has growlers as well as Lost Rhino Brewing Company in Ashburn. I normally wouldn't trek all the way to Ashburn, but I got to taste about 8 of their beers and take a tour and am now pretty smitten. I don't like beer (*gasp*), but I got a whole growler of their Saison Breast Cancer Awareness brew and it was gone in a jiffy.

So the big news in the recent amendment to DC's liquor regulations is not Sunday sales (meh, that only benefits the lazy who don't stock up ahead :). The exciting part is GROWLERS!

Growlers, which are reusable containers holding up to 64 fluid ounces of beer, may now be sold for off-premise consumption at brew pubs, liquor stores, and full service grocery stores. The sale of growlers of beer for off-premise consumption was previously limited to the District’s three licensed breweries.

Hopefully we'll see some stores getting the proper licensing to do this in the short term. d'Vines (or d'Vinos, I can't remember which one) had a tap system the last time they thought this was made legal (when DC Brau was allowed to sell and the legislation was ambiguous); I'm assuming they held on to that. The P Street Whole Foods recently installed their bar, so they have the taps ready to do this as well, and we know at a corporate level they support growler fills.

I was in the Columbia Heights d'Vines last night and they are in the process of building out the tap system for growler fills. There was no time frame given other than "when it's done", but I was told there would be up to 25(!) taps when complete. Part of the build out looks like they are putting in some nitrogen chambers and fill-from-the-bottom devices (these allow you to evacuate the air in the empty growler with nitrogen and then fill it from the bottom up, seal it without introducing oxygen into the growler to prolong shelf life). You can buy their own branded growlers now and they will give you $0.50 off each fill for the first year the system is in place. The Adams Morgan d'Vinos is apparently not getting a tap system.

Growlers really seem to be taking off, and not just at the usual places I'd expect. Near me in Adams Morgan, both Metro Wine & Spirits and Sherry's (places I'd classify more as "liquor stores") have recently got growler systems up and running.

In the recent Maryland legislative session a new law was passed to allow sale of growlers (and pints) by producers like Flying Dog. This is good news as many of their one off isoteric brews will be available for home consumption. You will also be able to enjoy a pint in their tap room. Law goes into effect July 1.