Starbucks, A Seattle-Based Chain And The Largest Coffee Company In The World

59 from my lovely spot on the Hill...but I wonder how many are on the Anacostia side of the river???

opps that's right just one...

Safeway-Wash DC #1445

2845 Alabama Ave SE

Washington, Washington DC 20020

note: I don't live on the Anacostia side of the river, just close to the Anacostia side of the river.

Edited by Tweaked

This exercise is both fantastically amusing and pathetic all in one.

82 Surrounding my office

Only 12 surrounding my house. I'm going to send Starbucks and e-mail offering them the use of my garage. 12 is waaaayyy too low.

edited because my typing sucks

Edited by B.A.R.

I guess I'm out in the vast wasteland--12 stores near home and 18 near work (Merrifield). The latter includes two stores in the Pan Am shopping center at Nutley and 29--a stand-alone store and one in the Safeway several yards away. :lol:

Now, if only I liked their products. They'll do if I'm desperate, but give me a good independent coffee place (and there are not too many out this way that are good), or a Caribou Coffee, and I'm set. :P

damn- this is hiliarious.

73 within 2 miles of work (downtown DC)

64 within 2 miles of home (Friendship Heights).

I am not *gasp* coffee drinker (I prefer my caffeine in the diet coke form in the AM), so I only go to starbucks to get the mocha drinks. But after we bought the house, I tried to cut those out of my budget. I saw a story a few months ago on how much $$$ people spend on Starbucks per year. Crazy.

72 within five miles (Van Ness)

14 within two miles

I have often thought there weren't enough because there isn't one right here at Van Ness when I want a Chantico fix.

Of course, I can still fit into my jeans so being farther away from Chantico is probably a good thing....

There are 4 within 2 miles of where we are house hunting....

Jennifer

I'm a 73 within five miles, just like my neighbor booklovingbabe. And I second her thought because to my knowledge and based on my walking-comfort level, there's only one (and it's in Cleveland Park, about 3/4 of a mile away). I suppose I could walk to the one near Politics & Prose, but that's more than a mile.

There is only one within fifty miles of my hometown which is where I often find myself wishing for one. That lone shop isn't FAR-far, but it's not convenient for dropping in either. There are some seriously bad knock-offs (and no quality local shops) in Scranton. And my mother makes really bad coffee.

Edited by JLK

I'm a 73 within five miles, just like my neighbor booklovingbabe.  And I second her thought because to my knowledge and based on my walking-comfort level, there's only one (and it's in Cleveland Park, about 3/4 of a mile away).  I suppose I could walk to the one near Politics & Prose, but that's more than a mile.

There is only one within fifty miles of my hometown which is where I often find myself wishing for one.  That lone shop isn't FAR-far, but it's not convenient for dropping in either.  There are some seriously bad knock-offs (and no quality local shops) in Scranton.  And my mother makes really bad coffee.

Then get yourself one of these to take with you.

post-37-1130522330_thumb.jpg

Five miles from both my house and my work there are 74.

Even if I take it down to 2 miles there are 48 near my work (Farragut/Dupont area) and 25 for my house (Columbia Heights).

It is worth noting though that of those 25 the closest Starbucks to my house is in the Howard U Student center, which is at least a 10 block walk from my house. So the other 24 must really be on the outer limits of the 2 mile thing.

i have 75 within 5 miles of my work (washington circle) with the closest being in my building. 47 within 2 miles.

and 59 within 5 miles of my house (cap. hill-ne).

man, i think the last starbucks i've actually been in was the original one at pike place market in seattle (wife wanted to pick up some beans to take back to her mom). i hate coffee (taste and smell), so i avoid coffee places.

Only 22 out here in the Silver Spring boonies. Folks, this is frightening!

Best coffee in DC area, IMO, can be found at the Bucks County Coffee Roasters kiosks at Union Station and in the Reagan Building. Truly outstanding beans, roasted perfectly, and not overpriced. The website coffeereview.com gives Bucks County coffees consistantly high marks, having given the Kenyan AA one of their highest marks ever--95 points--a couple years ago. Their Guatemalan Free Trade Organic is my all-time favorite bean--better than any of the more exotic Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain, etc.,--so much so that I'm willing to take the Metro to Union station every couple of weeks to pick of a pound of that and the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe--my wife's favorite.

If you haven't tried their coffee, check them out.

9 within 2 miles of my house/office...not ashamed to say I like Starbucks, it's one of the few chains that actually raised the level of quality/awareness of coffee, I would say much the same as Whole Foods formerly Fresh Fields did in the supermarket category...I now make most of my own coffee, but I actually like Price/Costco's offerings as well, and they're a HUGE chain!

Wow, only 9 within 5 miles of my house (northern Silver Spring), and two of those are in Safeways. A 10th is under construction in Beltsville.

I've only been to Starbucks twice - once in Burtonsville and once in Vancouver (because there are 84 Starbucks within 5 miles of the Wedgewood Hotel). I'm more of a tea drinkin' gal.

Edited by perrik

16 within 5 miles of vienna (home)

Shockingly there are actually 6 in the city of Vienna, Austria. I cannot understand how this purveyor of burnt tasting double mocha lattes could survive in the land of fine coffee. Thankfully, there are no Starbucks in Italy.

Shockingly there are actually 6 in the city of Vienna, Austria.  I cannot understand how this purveyor of burnt tasting double mocha lattes could survive in the land of fine coffee.

I don't understand this. Their coffee does not taste burnt to me. Regular roast (not dark) all taste sour or bitter - and not bitter in a good way. I almost always order a cafe americano or a short latte, so I can't speak to their sweet offerings.

Shockingly there are actually 6 in the city of Vienna, Austria.  I cannot understand how this purveyor of burnt tasting double mocha lattes could survive in the land of fine coffee.  Thankfully, there are no Starbucks in Italy.

Vienna, VA smartass :lol:

home = 10

work = ZERO!

honestly, there are no commercial food purveyors within five miles of where I work. I'd actually welcome a Starbucks there. And I hate Starbucks.

Does anybody remember The Onion article titled "Starbucks to Open Branch in Restroom of Existing Starbucks"? :lol:

:lol:   We were just talking about that Onion piece today.  I love the Onion.

Last time I checked, I couldn't access it without paying; looks like something's changed:

"New Starbucks Opens in Rest Room of Existing Starbucks": http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030

Also, "Starbucks to Begin Sinister 'Phase Two' of Operation": http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28657

Enjoy!

Historic Inns of Maryland wants to convert the old King of France Tavern on Church Circle in Annapolis into a Starbucks. The tavern was located in the lower level of the Maryland Inn (circa 1780s), and was a regular haunt for the late Charlie Byrd and Eva Cassidy (it was a wonderful place to enjoy her special style.) Right now there's only one Starbucks in the city - at the city dock, but there are also a Seattle's Best, and three or four independent's in the historic downtown area.

Is this next to Treaty of Paris?

The King of France Tavern was indeed next to the (truly mediocre, overpriced tourist trapped) Treaty of Paris restaurant. The tavern closed a couple of years ago and is just used for storage at the moment. A real shame too - it was a great spot for listening to live jazz - much more intimate than the Ram's Head Tavern stage. And that green Starbucks awning will be one of the first things people will see when they enter Historic Annapolis, round State Circle and head up Duke of Gloucester Street. The biggest hurdle will be the Historic Preservation pooh bahs needing to approve it at their meeting next month.

Didn't know where else to post this, but this looks intriguing:

http://www.slate.com/id/2133754?nav=wp

Personally, I've never liked their coffee (it's always tasted "burnt" to me, I don't know how else to describe it) but I'm sure that there are lots of folks who partake of their wares  regularly.  Give this a try and let us know if it works!

Joe, I don't think anything could help their coffee. It has alwauys tasted burnt and bitter to me also.

Edited by RaisaB