Starbucks, A Seattle-Based Chain And The Largest Coffee Company In The World

I just stopped at Starbucks, something I very rarely do as I don't like it much, for a regular coffee, (I don't know the official lingo for drip coffee at this joint which always makes it confusing for me)

They were out of it!!

She said if I wanted to wait, that she thought the coffee would be on them. I said no thank you and went to 7-11 (my usual coffee stop.)

Even my 9 year old son was confused as to why a shop that has built an empire on, (and mainly sells) coffee could be out of coffee..She did offer to make me an "Americano"

yeesh.

Speaking of pizza, last time I went to 2Amys, they said that they were out of pizza and I had to wait for them to make one for me. Instead, I went to Cici's where I knew that it would always be there waiting under heat lamps. (this is where my 2Amys-Starbucks analogy stops, though)

Say what you will about Starbucks but they do have a commitment to serving only freshly brewed coffee--a commitment that exceeds most independents (and 7-11's). They definitely have the capability of holding gallons and gallons of coffee on hand for hours and hours to meet your needs but they prefer to only brew the amount that is required to meet the expected immediate need (I believe they only hold brewed coffee for 30 minutes). It only takes a few minutes to brew a pot of coffee and it seems that you unfortunately happened upon their store during this time.

I like a good espresso and the occasional cappuccino, (espresso anytime, cappuccino before noon only.) Especially when I am in Italy, or I know that it's going to be a really good cup. However, those are rare occasions that I don't think Starbucks is prepared to deliver.

When I want regular, drip coffee,(which is about 10 times a day) it is just a drug.

That frappuccino thing with the chocolate and whipped cream is pretty good though.

I rarely drink coffee but I drink a lot of tea. No one has raised the bar nationwide for tea brewing yet, it's mostly still bags & hot-to-boiling water, delivered in a variety of configurations, wherever you go.

At Starbucks, I know that I will at least get a decent cup - Tazo, not Tetley's or something equally bland - that the water will be boiling hot, & that they will pour the water onto the teabag, not simply hand me a cup of lukewarm water & a bag. That's something even if it's not ideal.

I've found a very few places that do it better, & many more that do it much worse. For a reliable cup when I'm out & about, I'm generally happy to spot a Starbucks.

(Their banana-walnut bread, to me, also makes a fine late-afternoon snack to go with that cup.)

Follow KMango's suggestion upthread and head to the Grape + Bean in Old Town. Last time I checked, they had a Clover. Can't imagine they would get rid of it.

Starbucks bought Clover in 2008. My understanding is that the machine is no longer available for sale - Starbucks is using the technology for itself. I think the sale pretty much killed the enthusiasm for the Clover machines. Some shops did get rid of theirs (Stumptown, OR) .

The Clover process is a fun thing to watch, in the right hands. Not foolproof by any means - It's still the meat behind the machine that matters most.

I really loathe Starbucks, and today I had to meet a friend there (his choice), at the one in the Renaissance across from Acadiana. I got there a bit early, so I figured I would just grab a medium (I even loathe the term "grande") black coffee. I handed the lady at the cash register $2, and she kept looking at me like I was from another planet. That's because, as it turns out, that stinking cup of putrid burnt coffee with all of its 12 or 16 undrinkable rotten ounces now costs $2.37. Without even thinking, I asked her if the quality had gone up concomitantly with the price. She gave me the same look.

I really hate this place....

I handed the lady at the cash register $2, and she kept looking at me like I was from another planet. That's because, as it turns out, that stinking cup of putrid burnt coffee with all of its 12 or 16 undrinkable rotten ounces now costs $2.37. Without even thinking, I asked her if the quality had gone up concomitantly with the price. She gave me the same look.

She probably innocently gave you "a look" because you didn't give enough money to pay for your drink and then stared again as you questioned the hourly-wage-making employee to explain Starbucks' price increase. Can't say I blame her. I wonder if she is posting about you on the web somewhere... B)

(Sorry, but I see restaurant employees talked down to all the time. It strikes a nerve every time.)

She probably innocently gave you "a look" because you didn't give enough money to pay for your drink and then stared again as you questioned the hourly-wage-making employee to explain Starbucks' price increase. Can't say I blame her. I wonder if she is posting about you on the web somewhere... B)

(Sorry, but I see restaurant employees talked down to all the time. It strikes a nerve every time.)

My point wasn't about restaurant workers. My point was about a cup of coffee that costs about 15 cents to make, marked up nearly 20x to cover the faux culture and sickening chic vibe that Starbucks peddles. Restaurant workers in general view me as a gracious guest and extremely generous tipper.

As an FYI, said Clover is in the Bethesda Starbucks across the street from the Farm Womens Coop. I think there are like 5 or so (over-roasted) varieties to choose from.

I had my first and only Starbucks Clover brew about a month ago, at the Harrison Street location in Arlington. I got a Pike Place just because that's the coffee I'm used to, and I wanted to have some type of baseline for comparison. Verdict: it's better in the Clover - a more pure nose, and a less bitter finish. But is it the worth the extra cost, and more importantly, the wait? Not for me it isn't.

I want to try the Clover brewed Starbucks offerings too, I work near the Bethesda franchise that has one. Of course, now that the weather has turned to summer hell, I don't think I want to walk down there for a hot beverage and return to work a sweaty, hypo-hydrated mess.

My complaint about Starbucks: When I ask for beans ground for a French Press, and the staff member gives me something that, when I get home, turns out to be too damn fine!! I've gotten to the point where I explain what a course grind is, and of course, get a lot of "yeah, yeah" in return. I sometimes get close enough to notice a French Press setting on the machines!!!!Grrrrr.

B)

Their grind is very random. I like the Guatemala ground for a paper cone filter. You would think all their machines are standardized, but each Starbucks grinds it differently - Sometimes too fine, sometimes too coarse. My solution was to only buy the coffee beans at the one Starbucks that gets it right.

Last saturday morning, also at the Harrison St. location, I ordered a venti iced Kenya coffee Clover brew. On learning this was the first time I had ordered this, the barista exclaimed, "this will change your life." It was definitely better than a regular iced coffee, but not sure my life has changed in any meaningful way.

On learning this was the first time I had ordered this, the barista exclaimed, "this will change your life." It was definitely better than a regular iced coffee, but not sure my life has changed in any meaningful way.

I had a clover brewed coffee at Intelligentsia and Grape+Bean and it was indeed life-changing. The two times I've had it, the brew was like a deep steep tea or hearty-brewed french press that drew all the flavor out of the beans like a filter-pour is supposed to. I just wish the clover company didn't sell to Starbucks, but that is how the capital market world turns sometimes...

There is a direct parallel between this, and Starbucks out-marketing independent coffee houses, also Wal-Mart undercutting small shops into oblivion.

I made it a point today to go to Umami Tea and Coffee and give them my business, instead of going to Starbucks.

I've been thinkng about this ever since you posted it, Don, and trying to remember if there was a coffee house culture in DC before Starbucks opened. We had coffee shops, but that's not the same. I had a boss from Seattle back in the late 80's early 90's who introduced me to Starbucks via mail order, and remember clearly being roundly mocked by everyone I knew - even the "foodies" for mail ordering my coffee. Coffee came from a can, or 7-11, or the diner, or from the various drug stores with lunch counters (Yes, I'm old). M.E. Swing Co. was downtown, of course, but they were more of the coffee shop model. No one I knew drank espresso regularly. When the first Starbucks opened here (Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park) it was a novelty.

I've been thinkng about this ever since you posted it, Don, and trying to remember if there was a coffee house culture in DC before Starbucks opened.

There was always the Potter's House on Columbia Road. I was last there more than 30 years ago, but it definitely had a coffee-house feel, crossed with church.

I've been thinkng about this ever since you posted it, Don, and trying to remember if there was a coffee house culture in DC before Starbucks opened. We had coffee shops, but that's not the same. I had a boss from Seattle back in the late 80's early 90's who introduced me to Starbucks via mail order, and remember clearly being roundly mocked by everyone I knew - even the "foodies" for mail ordering my coffee. Coffee came from a can, or 7-11, or the diner, or from the various drug stores with lunch counters (Yes, I'm old). M.E. Swing Co. was downtown, of course, but they were more of the coffee shop model. No one I knew drank espresso regularly. When the first Starbucks opened here (Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park) it was a novelty.

I agree - before Starbucks, there was 7-11 or Dunkin'. Hell, before Starbucks, I used to mail order Starbucks' coffee beans from Seattle. However, the only two independent coffee shops in Falls Church that I can think of (Two Sisters Drive-Thru (yes, there was one) and Stacy's) didn't survive, and it was primarily because of places such as Starbucks and Cosi although I think Stacy herself was the driving force behind her shop's success and she sold the business profitably. Now, it just so happens that neither one of them had particularly good coffee, so that's another issue (I heard from a non-industry friend, by the way, that some sort of wine cafe is opening in the old Stacy's place which would be awesome - no details, and I haven't confirmed). Between Vienna (Jammin' Java) and Del Ray (St. Elmo's), which covers a *lot* of miles, I can't think of too many other truly awesome independents with character coming out the wazoo (which both of those have). But you're all right - Starbucks put the coffeehouse on every corner. What a pity how bad their beans have become over the years (although Pike Roast is an improvement, as is the expensive Clover system, as is the free WiFi). And the whole vibe of sip-in Starbucks (stroller-pushing yuppie parents in sweat clothes) is so vanilla mall-ish that it makes me squirm just thinking about it. When I hang out in a coffee house, I want long hair, tats, and angst-ridden novels, dammit - that or vagabond college students doing their homework. Murky in Clarendon was absolutely wonderful; Northside Social still okay, but less so. Just rambling here.

Yesterday my family was quite happy to see Starbucks open. I joked with my dad that it seems it was parent-child day at Starbucks - me and my dad, a father and daughter ahead of us, a mother and son behind us, another father and son behind them. And then the five of us at my brother's, all drinking Starbucks, because he doesn't have a coffee maker (indeed, when at home he only makes Via) and it was the only place in the area open.

Thanks, Starbucks, for giving us the caffeine we needed to make it to the bloody mary and eggnog time of the morning (i.e. immediately after finishing our coffees).

I agree - before Starbucks, there was 7-11 or Dunkin'. Hell, before Starbucks, I used to mail order Starbucks' coffee beans from Seattle. However, the only two independent coffee shops in Falls Church that I can think of (Two Sisters Drive-Thru (yes, there was one) and Stacy's) didn't survive, and it was primarily because of places such as Starbucks and Cosi although I think Stacy herself was the driving force behind her shop's success and she sold the business profitably. Now, it just so happens that neither one of them had particularly good coffee, so that's another issue (I heard from a non-industry friend, by the way, that some sort of wine cafe is opening in the old Stacy's place which would be awesome - no details, and I haven't confirmed). Between Vienna (Jammin' Java) and Del Ray (St. Elmo's), which covers a *lot* of miles, I can't think of too many other truly awesome independents with character coming out the wazoo (which both of those have). But you're all right - Starbucks put the coffeehouse on every corner. What a pity how bad their beans have become over the years (although Pike Roast is an improvement, as is the expensive Clover system, as is the free WiFi). And the whole vibe of sip-in Starbucks (stroller-pushing yuppie parents in sweat clothes) is so vanilla mall-ish that it makes me squirm just thinking about it. When I hang out in a coffee house, I want long hair, tats, and angst-ridden novels, dammit - that or vagabond college students doing their homework. Murky in Clarendon was absolutely wonderful; Northside Social still okay, but less so. Just rambling here.

There is the cool little Armenian coffee shop in Westover. I love that place, very nice vibe. There isn't a lot of coffee shop culture, although Sidamo has that counter-culture (not the coffee the actual phenomenon) feel. But I definitely don't think of DC as coffee culture type place. Is it because we all have offices and free crappy coffee (we have pods in my office, some are better than others) that we are now fairly used to? Also there are so few independent coffee shops many of them get so crowded. I used to go to those types of places a lot in law school. Now it is more the places by courthouses or government buildings that I have meetings at and need a place to do some work. I think many people don't have the time to have a coffee culture. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.

But we have the lovely Misha's right up the street, but I drink my free, right here in front of me coffee most of the time. I really don't prefer the current taste of Starbuck's Coffee, I also don't like the amount of calories in so many of their specialty drinks. Although in areas that are less urban it is REALLY nice to be able to go somewhere and have non-dairy milk options. I really appreciate that in say Strausburg or etc.

I "treated" myself to a Kona made on the Clover this morning ($4.47 for a Grande (!)), and it's just not very good - bitter, acidic, and just plain unpleasant. I'm choking it down as a "liquid caffeine pill" and nothing more. In fact, I'm going to go dump some sugar in right now and nuke it - meh, I wish I had some cream at home.

With apologies to artisan roasters and independent coffee houses everywhere,

Rocks

The most expensive coffees are usually the ones that are hardest to source. They are rarely the ones that taste the best.

That's interesting. On someone else's nickel at the Mandarin Oriental in San Francisco, I once had the $40 a cup coffee that comes from Indonesia and is crapped out of weasels....it tasted no better than percolated Maxwell House....

In the late 90s and early 00s, I was Starbuck's Best Customer. Or, at least their best customer here in the DC area. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration also but, suffice to say, I got more free drinks than I could ever count from all those plastic cards that melted from my overuse in airports, cities and towns.

Then independents started popping up. Maybe Murky wasn't the first. Quartermaine preceded them to be sure. But, as I discovered those places, my Starbucks visit frequency declined markedly. I think I still have enough points in Quartertmaine's system for a free car given that I never used any for free french presses or cortados.

Then, the next era, which is still current, was the boom in independents, some of them roasting on site. At least one of them roasting frequently, in small batches, onsite (Thanks Joel). At the same time, beans from quality roasters like Counter Culture, Inteligentsia, Ritual and MadCap started appearing in places like Chinatown, Dolcezza, and Filter. And, amidst all of this but unseen by many was Starbucks' re-entry with the clover system.

Nowadays, I will occasionally go to a Starbucks. And, if I do, it's usually due to convenience/limited time and being able to find a clover location on my smartphone. I've had some clover brews just like the one Don descibed. Blecchh! And, I've had some that were respectable; very different from the liquid drano served on a different day. To me, it just seems to reinforce that price and brand are totally unreliable indicators. It's all about the proprietor. Because the proprietor has near-total control over the beans and, as important, the methods used to roast and create whatever drink. Bean roasting and espresso drink creation are both art and skill. It's just exceedlingly tough for a large company (even one with lots of cash and growing numbers of clovers) to do this well. And, from a business perspective, they probably shouldn't do it that well because, with 4000 locations, they can get paid bigtime not doing it so well.

I'm thankful and deeply appreciative of the great independents we now have around DC. It's a different and better place thanks to them.

I was at the Starbucks at Pentagon City this morning while waves of customers were coming in for coffee/food before starting work, and for early morning coffee/food while at work.

The waves of customers were intense. Long lines ensued.

This particular Starbucks simply did a great job of responding to the particular needs and wants of their early morning customers. The staff stretched out behind the counter. A new staffer manned the microwave, preparing and nuking sandwiches. A staffer manned the line, taking orders, filling food orders from the counter and preparing some food. Two staffers worked the cash registers. Two staffers were preparing more complex morning drinks.

At the end of one or more busy waves of customers the manager and the new staffer at the microwave high fived. More busy waves came in. The staff worked like a well oiled machine.

Frankly I found it impressive. That Starbucks is very focused on meeting customer needs, and in this case its fast service. Its a chain; as big as they come in the food business. I tend to go to two starbucks most often, one near where I live and one near where I work most of the time and they both have great customer service.

I have no idea if it is system wide. I do know they easily outperform so many other places, that might have dramatically terrific food, are owned by local folks, are neighborhood treasures, etc...but some of these places don't come close to meeting customer service needs during busy times, and some do.

Restaurants that specialize in "fast food" or "semi fast food" are supposed to be set up for big rushes during mornings or lunches. Some accomplish this, some don't. Some local owners/managers incorporate speed and efficiency with absolutely terrific food, and some are less aware of this element. ( I think the Earl's in Clarendon has a very efficient staff).

Anyway Kudos to this particular Starbucks for meeting customer needs.

• Like 1

As my daughter just pointed out, is there any other chain this massive that thrives without any significant advertising?  Maybe I am oblivious (no doubt), but I cannot recall seeing any recent advertisements.  Yet, they are everywhere.  That is some business model.

Maybe I just need to redefine my conceptions of advertising.  This and that.

Edited by dcs

I would council long-term caution: Starbucks used to be *great* twenty years ago - I used to actually mail-order their coffee beans from Seattle (this is before they had any area locations - seems like another lifetime ago, doesn't it?)

1993. Starbucks' Cleveland Park store was their first east coast location, making them a nationwide chain for the first time.

Twenty years ago, they started importing Saeco machines direct from Italy under the Estro name, so they'd have something more than mugs to sell in their stores, thus kicking off a brief lawsuit with Saeco USA over importation rights.  (I had talked one of my roommates into buying a Baby Gaggia in '92, so affordable pump espresso machines were still on my mind then.)

• Like 1

In news that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who actually likes coffee, you can't good a good cup from Starbucks even if they have a Clover.  The beans are still poorly roasted, so it really doesn't matter what method you use to extract them.  The coffee is still going to suck.

...hey, I was desperate, so sue me.  #neveragain

I have succumbed every now and then to a soy Mocha Light Frappacino.  Not because it resembles coffee at all, no really it is kind of the closest thing I can find to a lactose free milkshake without making a lactose free milkshake.  And the calories aren't horrible for what is essentially a milkshake.  

I have to say I _have_ had good coffee at Starbucks.

I've had good and bad experiences with Clover coffee at Starbucks. I've sought out a Starbucks when traveling to get a morning fix before meetings. I've had decent drip coffee there and also poor coffee. They generally over-roast and blend the hell out of their coffees -- they have to with so many locations to reach -- and consistency fails them (and me) in many cases. Starbucks is among the last places I would go for coffee, but it still outclasses most diners, cafes (not "coffeehouses"), and many restaurants. 

I say all this as someone who has been to most coffeehouses of note in DC area and prepares my coffee at home as pour over or on a GS/3. I'd rather have my home coffee or visit one of the area's great coffeehouses, but the are few and far between. Starbucks helped reboot coffee culture in the US, and I respect Starbucks for what it is. Chipotle it tasty, but I would never call it good Mexican dinner (or even Mexican at all).

As Marge said "Homer, it's easy to criticize." Homer: "And fun too!"

PS: And I'm talking about coffee (or espresso) here. Not 14 ounces of milk, flavored with 2 (4?) ounces of not very good espresso. And I am rather partial to the "Vivano" strawberry smoothy. At least you can find out what's in this smoothy, unlike a lot of independent sandwich shops. 

I've been wanting to try the Clover brewed coffee, so I managed to get a coveted parking space today at the one Starbucks in Falls Church with a Clover machine. Someone was pulling out of a shaded spot, in what has to be one of the stupidest parking lots in town. I didn't have to brandish a weapon or anything to park!

So I went in and saw the chalkboard of special coffees. I bought a pound of Gold Coast and ordered a vent of Clover-brewed Komodo Dragon. "Do you take milk in your coffee?" "Sometimes" "Well, this will be filled to the rim, take a sip rather than spilling any out if you want room".

I watched the machine at work, which was entertaining. I didn't bother to stop at the sugar/milk bar, and drove home. I picked it up, and took a sip while waiting at a light. Oh yes, this doesn't need any additives! I'm sipping it now, and very much enjoying it. I wish every Starbucks had a Clover.

I watched the machine at work, which was entertaining. I didn't bother to stop at the sugar/milk bar, and drove home. I picked it up, and took a sip while waiting at a light. Oh yes, this doesn't need any additives! I'm sipping it now, and very much enjoying it. I wish every Starbucks had a Clover. 

It certainly makes the most out of their beans.

Thanks (Don?) [Yes:)] for inserting that link.  It might be the prominent placement I've noticed in stores is because they're introduced (or are specifically promoting) the plastic "thermoform" packaged type.  It's interesting to see the difference in ingredients between the water- and non-water-packed types.  

Speaking of ingredients, I was in a Starbucks this morning, and saw on the counter a 2 1/4-pound plastic-wrapped package of "caramel sauce" (the stuff they use in their Caramel Macchiatos, etc.). 

The #1 ingredient was Corn Syrup.

Guess what the #2 ingredient was?

High Fructose Corn Syrup.

The #1 ingredient was Corn Syrup.

Is this really surprising? Caramel = burnt sugar   :)

For the record I avoid HFCS and CS almost always. Problem is, you don't always know. But caramel is still just sugar.

Also, I love the Clover machine. Sad that SBUX bought it out. It's still worth it to get a cup, especialy if you can watch the machine in action.