Cava's Dips

Pat

Cava's dips including the harissa are available at Whole Foods. I've bought a few of them from the Whole Foods near me including the harissa which is not as "mild" as it says on their website. I used it as a spread for sandwiches, and it was spicy.

I bought a container of the harissa at the Old Town Whole Foods today. I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend. It took me some time to locate the spot where their products were, but I did find them. There were several of their products in the refrigerated case on the dairy aisle.

I bought the crazy feta again recently. I love the crazy feta but haven't bought it since last Nov or so. It's much smoother in texture than it used to be. It used to be chunkier. Now it's more of a spreading texture. I liked the old way better! Anyone else noticed this?

It seems like once a month at the Friendship Heights and Tenleytown whole foods there is a cava dip tasting. So I've tried pretty much all of them. I really like the tzatziki and the harissa. Not a fan of the eggplant and roasted red pepper (I wish they'd make a good babaganoush instead).  The traditional hummus is pretty good - I especially liked the newish caramelized onion hummus. I personally don't care for the other hummus varieties but that maybe because I'm more of a hummus purist (who is a sucker for onions in anything).  Crazy feta is ok, but I found it to be too spicy that the other flavors were masked.

No, but next time I am at WF I am buying the harrissa.  I am addicted to it in the Cava Mezze Grill rice bowls.

That harissa is wonderful.  I just bought some at Whole Foods today, along with their roasted garlic hummus.  I'm seeing the Cava products stocked at more and more places, but never the garlic hummus variety, which is the one I love.  I feel lazy that I've stopped making my own hummus, but that's so good.

FWIW, on Capitol Hill, I've seen some Cava products at Yes! on Barracks Row, one of the Canales stands at Eastern Market, and I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of their things at Safeway at 14th and D, in the deli refrigerated section.

(I'm not fond of the crazy feta.  It seems like something I would like, but it doesn't do it for me for some reason.)

Since I lament frequently and often on twitter that there isn't a Cava Mezze Grill by my house (yes, I know they have a real restaurant in Clarendon), I have taken to imitating those bowls and making them at home.  They really just aren't the same without the good dips.  

Since I lament frequently and often on twitter that there isn't a Cava Mezze Grill by my house (yes, I know they have a real restaurant in Clarendon), I have taken to imitating those bowls and making them at home.  They really just aren't the same without the good dips.  

A complete list of Cava's retail offerings can be found here.