[it's whatever you want, since you started the topic!] laugh.gif

The cheeseburger at Palena kicks more ass than a Cossack dancer in a crowded elevator.

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Palena (mdt) - pre-Thanksgiving, 2010
Palena Cafe (Donrocks) - post-Thanksgiving, 2010
BTS (Burger Tap & Shake) (squidsc)
Smashburger (destruya)

Red Apron (destruya)

Et Voila! (hmmboy)]

Is the lobster burger at Citronelle eligible for consideration? Or is this category limited to beef?

Blast...beaten out by mere moments! Yeah, the lobster burger deserves consideration. Hear good things about the tuna burger, too.

Palena burger, certainly!

At the risk of being run out of town: Lindy's. Southwestern Burger wub.gif

I know, I know...

Speculative or Theoretical Awards: Breadline, Galileo.

Well, now that I started this thread, what qualifies is: any sort of protein (no veggie burgers need apply) that has been chopped, formed into a patty and seared on both sides and placed between the two sides of what will pass in the industry for a hamburger bun. After that, anything goes. Bonus points will be given in cases where juice runs down your chin on the first bite.

(Mark Slater @ Apr 27 2005, 04:46 PM)

Just out of curiosity, why does every bleepin' food board on the internet have to have a bleepin' burger thread?

Oh, you want a MINIburger thread, you say??

Where did that come from.

I think Mark may have been having the same sense of deja vu as I was, in that this same topic started on Chowhound sometime this afternoon.

Of course, as far as I can tell, Mark never actually said this.

Ferhat Yalcin said:
If This was west cost  no  doubt to say `In-n-out burger rocks`

dry.gif I've never understood the fascination with In-N-Out. Good burgers, but not worth driving an hour+ to get one (and I know people who have!). I actually prefer Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Cheeseburger to In-N-Out. Of course, after eating either, I feel as if I am about to keel over for the next day or so! ;)

But back to DC-Area burgers (on which I have nothing to add because I have not eaten a burger in the almost 2 years we've been back here)...

I had the Palena burger last Friday and it was the same old same old to me - which is to say it was pretty much perfect.

In the local chains category, I'll nominate Chadwick's and Clyde's burgers as far superior to Five Guys.

I had the Palena burger last Friday and it was the same old same old to me - which is to say it was pretty much perfect.

In the local chains category, I'll nominate Chadwick's and Clyde's burgers as far superior to Five Guys.

Which Five Guys have you tried? I enjoy Five Guys, although it really depends on which one you hit.

But isn't that really like comparing apples and oranges?

I think of Five Guys as being a very good fast food burger. I think an offering from a sit-down restaurant, usually bigger and served on chine is an altogether different thing.

I think of Five Guys as being a very good fast food burger. I think an offering from a sit-down restaurant, usually bigger and served on chine is an altogether different thing.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. What are they these days? $3?

Definately more upscale fast food than downscale resto.

Sure they're different categories, but I was comparing them as local chains. I've had pretty good (but not great) burgers at the Five Guys in on Route 1 in Woodbridge and poor ones at the Georgetown and Chinatown locations. Never really cared for their fries at any location. I do think there's something to be said for a fresh McDonalds cheeseburger at 5am on a Saturday morning, though.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. What are they these days? $3?

Definately more upscale fast food than downscale resto.

Well, the cheeseburger is $4.39 and a regular fries is $1.89, putting you at a dollar or two under the price of a cheeseburger and fries at most downscale restaurants.

So is the burger at Palena still good or not as impressive as it used to be? A dinner decision is pending based on recent evaluations.

I do like the burger at Mortons, and the burger at Chef Geoff's (especially on the last Monday of the month) is pretty good. But I can't make a claim about "best" easily.

Also, I've heard there's a wagyu burger at Landmark Restaurant in the Melrose that is to die for. Sonoma will also apparently be featuring a wagyu burger, significantly closer to home...

K

At one time, Washingtonian Magazine rated the burger at Sam & Harry's as the best in town. Of course that was before Palena opened up.

It sounds like there be be a couple of categories here: The fast food burger (a la 5 guys), the sit down burger (Paleana) and the seafood burger (Citronelle). What other places belong in these categories. Or is this too much segmentation? I get the feeling that the sit down places will beat the fast food places most every time. And which category would the burgers at the Tune Inn fit?

It sounds like there be be a couple of categories here: The fast food burger (a la 5 guys), the sit down burger (Paleana) and the seafood burger (Citronelle). What other places belong in these categories. Or is this too much segmentation? I get the feeling that the sit down places will beat the fast food places most every time. And which category would the burgers at the Tune Inn fit?

Maybe there should be separate bar burger and yupscale burger categories instead of one sit down group.

With Citronelle's lobster burger, having a "Best Seafood Burger" category would be as predetermined as a North Korean election.

Also, Sign of the Whale.

Oh yeah, absolutely still there, and still pretty good! That is to say, it's as good as it was when I moved here a few years ago. Prices have slowly ticked upwards, though, but I suppose that's bound to happen.

howEVER: They have recently moved away from peanut oil to cook the fries. ;)

I was just there the other day, actually. Was going to get a Southwestern, but instead opted for the "National's Special": a big quarter pound hot dog topped with BBQ (I just sez the other day, "Shogun", I sez, "More things need to be topped with BBQ!" :lol: ), with regular fries and a little bag of peanuts! Also got a deal on a large soda if you get it with the combo. Forget offhand how much it was, but it was a pretty good deal!

Also, I've heard there's a wagyu burger at Landmark Restaurant in the Melrose that is to die for. Sonoma will also apparently be featuring a wagyu burger, significantly closer to home...

K

They feature the Wagyu burger at Mendocino on brioche -- quite tasty even without the bun. I agree that it is truly difficult to judge "THE BEST" burger. Do have strong opinions on "THE WORST"

Oh yeah, absolutely still there, and still pretty good! That is to say, it's as good as it was when I moved here a few years ago.  Prices have slowly ticked upwards, though, but I suppose that's bound to happen.

howEVER: They have recently moved away from peanut oil to cook the fries. ;)  

I was just there the other day, actually.  Was going to get a Southwestern, but instead opted for the "National's Special": a big quarter pound hot dog topped with BBQ (I just sez the other day, "Shogun", I sez, "More things need to be topped with BBQ!" :lol: ), with regular fries and a little bag of peanuts!  Also got a deal on a large soda if you get it with the combo.  Forget offhand how much it was, but it was a pretty good deal!

What does a National Special go for? How about the Southwestern?

I could make this a really long story about the true roots of the Palena burger,(and the hot dog for that matter). About how even before Palena opened, my wife and I had would have an on and off need to find the best local burger, but I'll stick to the Palena burger.

There seem to be two main issues...the size of the bun, and the juicieness.

First the bun..before putting the burger on the Cafe menu we tried several variations on ratio of meat to bun. I ultimately decided that me being a "sopper", I wanted enough bread in my hand first to handle the meat, and second, to sopp up any juices that might, and does, drip on to the plate. Even to sopp the oil that we drizzle on the pickles. A good quality bun is the key here..(by the way, the bun is more of a Parker House roll dough and not the brioche bun of which it is routinely referred. Brioche seems to have lost all of it's noble distinction..but that is another issue), fresh baked daily, lightly grilled then topped with the garlic scented mayonnaise.

The meat: We started off a little smaller than we have now (the bun has stayed the same size) and after much Q&A and customer feedback, we opted to go a little heavier. We are not trying to be cheap here, it is just that we are trying to make a really good burger. Too much meat could be bad as well. We make every effort to control what we can..Bun-recipe, mayo-recipe, same ingredients to make them, same cheese, we have been buying the same meat now for months(we grind it ourselves every day)..but lately there does seem to be some difference, not only of the burger meat, but even the Kobe style beef we buy and the veal..could be a seasonal thing. another factor that comes into play is who shaped the burgers that day..everyone tries doing it the same, but making it a bit too compact does offer some variation.Although we all pay just as much attention to building the burger and with the same passion as we do say, the boudin blanc, some variation does seem to occur.

In terms of bar burgers, I've always been a fan of the New Yorker at the Penn Ave. Pour House on the Hill - grilled mushrooms, onions, and cheese with a 1/2 lb patty that I always get medium rare. It's the best thing they have there (which, honestly, isn't saying much) but it's one helluva burger.

to be fair, re: five guys, the last time I had one of their burgers was about 10 years ago and it was at one of the original locations. i can't imagine the quality has dropped too much though.

Frank, I'm wondering if you do anything to the meat before grilling, such as adding any seasonings?

I have not been in a number of years but when I worked downtown I regularly enjoyed the hamburger for lunch at Sam & Harry's.  Big, juicy and crusty on the outside.  Nice buns too.

See, the bun is where most places drop the ball. Almost always it overwhelms the meat.

Maybe there should be separate bar burger and yupscale burger categories instead of one sit down group.

With Citronelle's lobster burger, having a "Best Seafood Burger" category would be as predetermined as a North Korean election.

Also, Sign of the Whale.

I actually prefer the tuna burger over the lobster burger, which is odd because I generally prefer lobster over tuna (but good, because the tuna burger seems to be available much more frequently).

Oh yeah, absolutely still there, and still pretty good! That is to say, it's as good as it was when I moved here a few years ago.  Prices have slowly ticked upwards, though, but I suppose that's bound to happen.

howEVER: They have recently moved away from peanut oil to cook the fries. :lol:

Oh that's too bad.

When I worked at the Kennedy Center I would walk over there about once a week. Always got the one with onions, mushrooms and A-1 sauce and ate it while walking back. I ruined several good shirts that way.

Oh that's too bad.

When I worked at the Kennedy Center I would walk over there about once a week.  Always got the one with onions, mushrooms and A-1 sauce and ate it while walking back.  I ruined several good shirts that way.

The 'Robert', If My Memory Serves Me Correctly :lol: Number Seventeen, I believe.

A fine burger indeed.

I just returned from my first Five Guys burger in several years. I'd previously only been to the Springfield location and I remember them being better than what I had today.

But this was pretty tasty and appropriately greasy, if a bit dense. My memory is of a slightly crispy, loose patty and today I only had a few bites that had that same texture.

I had heard stories about long lines at lunch at the Reston/Herndon loaction so I've stayed away so far. But that wasn't a problem. I'm sure I'll be back sooner the next time.

I really shouldn't read threads like this just before lunch, but I really did enjoy my Five Guys burger from the Chantilly branch. Great food as fuel.

As I was standing in the long line contemplating my burger (darn those long lines and people who phone in orders for their entire offce / congressional district) I pondered another element of a good burger. The stuff. It's the reason 5 guys is my favorite local burger place, a good mix of addons. And the jalepeno / onion combination should keep the boss away.

On the subject of "stuff" the fried lemon slices that come with the Palena burger are a perfect side to the burger.

What does a National Special go for? How about the Southwestern?

National's Special: $5.50 (Discounted jumbo soda: $0.95 w/ combo)
Burger, Southwestern or otherwise, single: $3.80 (With three or four that are $4.20)

Those are take-out prices; I'm pretty sure it's 10% more upstairs (also a new development).

I definitely agree with the burger at Palena , top notch.
miniburgers are just ok and five guys close to suck. Stoney`s ; never liked.
My own burgers started to kick ass getting better everytime.

If This was west cost no doubt to say `In-n-out burger rocks`

I love Five Guys, but I have noticed that the quality varies widely, and seems to correlate pretty strongly to the percentage of adults running the place.

Locations that I've had good fortune at: Georgetown, Herndon, Woodbridge, Alexandria Old Town, Alexandria Route 1

Locations that are not so good: Howard University, Reston

The best I've had are at Colorado Kitchen. I don't know what exactly it is they do to their meat, but it is unbelievably flavorful. Fries are great, too, and I'm a sucker for a novelty soda. I think they only have burgers on Sunday though, is this still the case?

Hmm, two of the three major food groups:  grease and salt (the 3rd being sugar).

Add some of her pineapple upside down cake and you will be covered! :lol:

Must get back to CK to try a burger.

Those five guys with some grilled onions and some relish on top with a huge bag of fries is the best on a sunday after trying one on the night before at the Raven or some other similar dump.

But I just had a wonderful burger at Charlie Palmers for lunch the other day. The bread was soft and the meat....ooooh the meat. it was on the rare side (which is the best way in my opinion) and with some really sharp cheese on the top.

good god that was a treat

Doesn't Charlie Palmer have a $20 lunch special? I know somebody [expense account steak house genre] does...might be Smith and Wollensky.

Charlie Palmer does have a very good $20 3-course lunch special, but the burger is not avialable as part of it.

I actually prefer the tuna burger over the lobster burger, which is odd because I generally prefer lobster over tuna (but good, because the tuna burger seems to be available much more frequently).

Have you tried TenPenh's tuna burger? Mmm-mmm good (and available daily!).