Tasty Travails

weinoo

Weinoo, have you considered doing any kind of personal favorite side-by-side? i.e., your top mezze place, top tacos, top markets, in each city, with a brief (or not) pros and cons of each?

Given that traffic between DC and NYC is not insignificant, it might get a lot of readership. Plus I'd be interested to see what we do better here in DC, at least in your opinion. :lol:

Wow, really? Please name 5.

Well, at lunch today, I almost froze to death in Haad Thai. And Queen of Sheba was pretty cold a few weeks ago.

In general, I believe a/c is seriously overused and really, nobody needs to be 65 degrees inside when it is 80+ outside.

Wow, really? Please name 5.

I'm too cold in nearly every restaurant in the summer months. The past two weeks have been an exception, as several places struggle to keep up with the demand of 100+ heat indexes. Once the heat blast is past, however, it'll be back to Chill City for me.

The good news is that, over the years, I have collected an entire closet of lovely pashmina shawls, so I'm 17 kinds of set once I become a little old lady.

Did you want me to count those 17 ways?

(one you lock the target)

(two you bait the line)

(three you slowly spread the net)

This post brought to you by Front 242 and an overly air-conditioned Mischieftain.

Ranting about celebrity chefs, after my experience at Good Stuff Eatery.

A couple comments on this amusing rant:

1) Bourdain became a celebrity because of Kitchen Confidential. This book is rough, raw, and not very well written, but in 2000, it was groundbreaking.

2) Perhaps an unintentional emphasis of your point about frying technique: The fries at Bouchon are frozen (or at least they were a couple years ago).

A couple comments on this amusing rant:

1) Bourdain became a celebrity because of Kitchen Confidential. This book is rough, raw, and not very well written, but in 2000, it was groundbreaking.

2) Perhaps an unintentional emphasis of your point about frying technique: The fries at Bouchon are frozen (or at least they were a couple years ago).

1) I don't think that made him as much of a celebrity to the general populace as his TV show (s). In the food world, though, without a doubt. In either case, it wasn't his cooking. I mean, I was eating at Les Halles before KC, and it was at best a 1 star - with great fries, however.

2) It's pretty well-know that frozen fries are used at Bouchon and probably at other places where the fries are great. Nothing wrong with a great frozen product, but they still have to be fried correctly...fresh oil at the proper temp, no overcrowding, etc. etc.