• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Johnston

Scott Johnston

Haggis the other pate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

Peter Chang announced today that he will be opening a mobile restaurant in McLean, VA over the next couple of months. The working title is Chang Can Cook (C3) and will be housed in a 40 foot mobile unit that can be moved on a moments notice to a new location. The unit, sponsored by GE, will house an entire kitchen made to the Chef’s specifications and will include prep tables, refrigerators, steam tray’s, woks and other items found in an Asian kitchen. Chef Chang was unavailable for comment at this time.
No more wafer thin mints for me!!!!

#2 KMango

KMango

Mischieftain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

Peter Chang announced today that he will be opening a mobile restaurant in McLean, VA over the next couple of months. The working title is Chang Can Cook (C3) and will be housed in a 40 foot mobile unit that can be moved on a moments notice to a new location. The unit, sponsored by GE, will house an entire kitchen made to the Chef’s specifications and will include prep tables, refrigerators, steam tray’s, woks and other items found in an Asian kitchen. Chef Chang was unavailable for comment at this time.

I cannot wait to try his most excellent speciality: loof lirpa

(yum)
-KMango

"Everyone expects me to do certain things. It puts a ceiling on your progress. You’re blocked by your pride. To get good, you have to throw your board around and fall." -Rodney Mullen

#3 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

Now that's Chang I can Believe In!
Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#4 Scott Johnston

Scott Johnston

Haggis the other pate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

My understanding that there will be a fall east coast tour, Richmond, Atlanta, Chattnoga, etc.
No more wafer thin mints for me!!!!

#5 sphere777

sphere777

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

My understanding that there will be a fall east coast tour, Richmond, Atlanta, Chattnoga, etc.

He should turn it into a performance art setpiece called "Where's Chang Now?"

#6 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

Now that's Chang I can Believe In!

Yes, We Chang!
Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#7 Twinsdaddy

Twinsdaddy

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

He should turn it into a performance art setpiece called "Where's Chang Now?"

Sounds like Chang is turning into a Civil War buff, although he's spent so much time in the Old Confederacy that he now refers to it as "The Late Unpleasantness." Hmm, "The Late Unpleasantness" might go well with his Lake Windless Shrimp.

"Consider the source" -- Jim Bouton, Ball Four.

#8 perrik

perrik

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

I thought "The Late Unpleasantness" referred to that part of a Chang-prepared meal where the staff is glaring at you simply because you've licked all the plates clean and there was nothing left but the woven bamboo squares that decorate the roast fish, and they kinda expected the bamboo squares to remain unchewed...

Perri Kennedy
I'm filled with pork. Or shrimp. Or pork and shrimp.

#9 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

His sous chefs are going to be William Spooner and Chang's very own doppelganger-cum-superpartner, Tiger Woods.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#10 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

Sounds like Chang is turning into a Civil War buff, although he's spent so much time in the Old Confederacy that he now refers to it as "The Late Unpleasantness." Hmm, "The Late Unpleasantness" might go well with his Lake Windless Shrimp.

Maybe after a recon mission to Volt he spent a little too much time here.
How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#11 Soup

Soup

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

I'll state the obious, 4/1?

#12 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis?

#13 KMango

KMango

Mischieftain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Re-discovering an April Fool's joke on 4/24...priceless.

Good way to re-live the confuzzlement (confusion + puzzlement) of the day's antics!
-KMango

"Everyone expects me to do certain things. It puts a ceiling on your progress. You’re blocked by your pride. To get good, you have to throw your board around and fall." -Rodney Mullen

#14 Soup

Soup

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Re-discovering an April Fool's joke on 4/24...priceless.

Good way to re-live the confuzzlement (confusion + puzzlement) of the day's antics!

slow on the uptake.

#15 Cook&Bottlewasher

Cook&Bottlewasher

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Richmond Peter Chang's for lunch tomorrow! So thrilled! http://www.huffingto...ng_Bang_Chicken

#16 Night Owl

Night Owl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

(Wasn't sure where to post this, thought I'd seen a thread specifically about Peter Chang's place in Richmond, but couldn't find it -- sorry if this is in the wrong place.)

A friend and I plan to go to Peter Chang's place in Richmond -- to those who have been out there, would welcome recommendations on what to order for our much-anticipated feast. Thanks in advance!

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate -- you know somebody's fingers have been all over it." ~Julia Child

#17 johnb

johnb

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

(Wasn't sure where to post this, thought I'd seen a thread specifically about Peter Chang's place in Richmond, but couldn't find it -- sorry if this is in the wrong place.)

A friend and I plan to go to Peter Chang's place in Richmond -- to those who have been out there, would welcome recommendations on what to order for our much-anticipated feast. Thanks in advance!

He is still making the classic favorites that everyone loved in the old "pursuit "days, and it's hard to go wrong with those. That would include the scallion bubble pancakes, the fish and cilantro roll app, cummin lamb chops, and the roasted fish served with the little bamboo "fish net." Just about any fish casserole is good, as is just about any preparation that comes out with lots of sichuan peppercorn and cilantro scattered over the top. Look around at the other tables.

As always, a good bet is to consult your waiter. Even better, ask if Gen Lee, Chang's business partner (or his wife Mary) is there, and then seek their advice. If you'd like, PM me a few days before you go, and I'll see what I can do -- I'm always happy to put in a good word for any Rockwellian.

#18 Night Owl

Night Owl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

He is still making the classic favorites that everyone loved in the old "pursuit "days, and it's hard to go wrong with those. That would include the scallion bubble pancakes, the fish and cilantro roll app, cummin lamb chops, and the roasted fish served with the little bamboo "fish net." Just about any fish casserole is good, as is just about any preparation that comes out with lots of sichuan peppercorn and cilantro scattered over the top. Look around at the other tables.

As always, a good bet is to consult your waiter. Even better, ask if Gen Lee, Chang's business partner (or his wife Mary) is there, and then seek their advice. If you'd like, PM me a few days before you go, and I'll see what I can do -- I'm always happy to put in a good word for any Rockwellian.

Thanks so much -- really appreciate your suggestions and offer to call. Will let you know when we schedule the trip out there. Again, thanks so much!

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate -- you know somebody's fingers have been all over it." ~Julia Child

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users