Peter Chang's New China Express

Peter Chang announced today that he will be opening a mobile restaurant in McLean, VA over the next couple of months. The working title is Chang Can Cook (C3) and will be housed in a 40 foot mobile unit that can be moved on a moments notice to a new location. The unit, sponsored by GE, will house an entire kitchen made to the Chef's specifications and will include prep tables, refrigerators, steam trays, woks and other items found in an Asian kitchen. Chef Chang was unavailable for comment at this time.

Peter Chang announced today that he will be opening a mobile restaurant in McLean, VA over the next couple of months. The working title is Chang Can Cook (C3) and will be housed in a 40 foot mobile unit that can be moved on a moments notice to a new location. The unit, sponsored by GE, will house an entire kitchen made to the Chef's specifications and will include prep tables, refrigerators, steam trays, woks and other items found in an Asian kitchen. Chef Chang was unavailable for comment at this time.

I cannot wait to try his most excellent speciality: loof lirpa

(yum)

He should turn it into a performance art setpiece called "Where's Chang Now?"

Sounds like Chang is turning into a Civil War buff, although he's spent so much time in the Old Confederacy that he now refers to it as "The Late Unpleasantness." Hmm, "The Late Unpleasantness" might go well with his Lake Windless Shrimp.

I thought "The Late Unpleasantness" referred to that part of a Chang-prepared meal where the staff is glaring at you simply because you've licked all the plates clean and there was nothing left but the woven bamboo squares that decorate the roast fish, and they kinda expected the bamboo squares to remain unchewed...

Sounds like Chang is turning into a Civil War buff, although he's spent so much time in the Old Confederacy that he now refers to it as "The Late Unpleasantness." Hmm, "The Late Unpleasantness" might go well with his Lake Windless Shrimp.

Maybe after a recon mission to Volt he spent a little too much time here.

(Wasn't sure where to post this, thought I'd seen a thread specifically about Peter Chang's place in Richmond, but couldn't find it -- sorry if this is in the wrong place.)

A friend and I plan to go to Peter Chang's place in Richmond -- to those who have been out there, would welcome recommendations on what to order for our much-anticipated feast. Thanks in advance!

(Wasn't sure where to post this, thought I'd seen a thread specifically about Peter Chang's place in Richmond, but couldn't find it -- sorry if this is in the wrong place.)

A friend and I plan to go to Peter Chang's place in Richmond -- to those who have been out there, would welcome recommendations on what to order for our much-anticipated feast. Thanks in advance!

He is still making the classic favorites that everyone loved in the old "pursuit "days, and it's hard to go wrong with those. That would include the scallion bubble pancakes, the fish and cilantro roll app, cummin lamb chops, and the roasted fish served with the little bamboo "fish net." Just about any fish casserole is good, as is just about any preparation that comes out with lots of sichuan peppercorn and cilantro scattered over the top. Look around at the other tables.

As always, a good bet is to consult your waiter. Even better, ask if Gen Lee, Chang's business partner (or his wife Mary) is there, and then seek their advice. If you'd like, PM me a few days before you go, and I'll see what I can do -- I'm always happy to put in a good word for any Rockwellian.

He is still making the classic favorites that everyone loved in the old "pursuit "days, and it's hard to go wrong with those. That would include the scallion bubble pancakes, the fish and cilantro roll app, cummin lamb chops, and the roasted fish served with the little bamboo "fish net." Just about any fish casserole is good, as is just about any preparation that comes out with lots of sichuan peppercorn and cilantro scattered over the top. Look around at the other tables.

As always, a good bet is to consult your waiter. Even better, ask if Gen Lee, Chang's business partner (or his wife Mary) is there, and then seek their advice. If you'd like, PM me a few days before you go, and I'll see what I can do -- I'm always happy to put in a good word for any Rockwellian.

Thanks so much -- really appreciate your suggestions and offer to call. Will let you know when we schedule the trip out there. Again, thanks so much!