M&S Grill, Downtown, Reston, and Baltimore

Had lunch there a week ago, a French dip, came with FF, boiled meat, I swear, and fries that seemed like they had gone thru 4 or 5 fries, $15.95, the most laughable food I've seen in a while, the place is around 13th and G nw. Anyone else had their fare?

Had lunch there a week ago, a French dip, came with FF, boiled meat, I swear, and fries that seemed like they had gone thru 4 or 5 fries, $15.95, the most laughable food I've seen in a while, the place is around 13th and G nw. Anyone else had their fare?

My office is just a block away, and occasionally have to go there for work. I find it consistently terrible.

Is that the M and S Grill? If so, it's part of the McCormick and Schmicks chain. I remember having lunch there 5 years ago, and it wasn't awful then.

Yes it was M and S Grill...in any case it was terrible when my wife and I ate there.

Let that be a lesson. Avoid national chains. In almost all cases, the kitchen is indifferent at best, and horrific at worst.

That said, there are two exceptions. The first is that the bar at the chains usually don't suck too much. Just don't order any food there. The second is that our local chains, which are not national chains, don't suck as much as national chains. These include Clyde's, GAR, PassionFoods, Andres and a few more. Although I happen to think GAR sucks like a national chain, but if you're ever in one of their bars, see the first rule above.

Although I happen to think GAR sucks like a national chain, but if you're ever in one of their bars, see the first rule above.

I agree with you about the national chains and the local chains with the exception of the above. Seems a bit harsh. I had dinner with my family at Artie's last weekend, and I thought it was pretty damn good. I hadn't eaten at a GAR restaurant for a couple of years. The hyper-enthusiastic service feels a bit forced, but the place looks great, the menu was straightforward and appealing, and everything we ordered came promptly and correctly. My wife freaked over the desserts, and my steak was cooked correctly and well seasoned. Sure, the chocolate waffle was nothing on a par with Heather Chittum's creations, and my ribeye was certainly not hand cut by Michael Landrum, but the meal was by no means soulless.

Not particularly cutting edge, sure. But "sucks?" Really?

went to the downtown location (13th Street) for a department lunch. Food was pretty much lousy...ok, it was much lousy.

The garden salad was comparable to something you might get from a Giant salad bar.

Apparently a "po-boy" these days is a toasted sub roll filled with four badly deep fried oysters, a couple strips of bacon, and a scattering of diced tomatoes.

The fries were fine in a frozen fry kinda way.

That is all.