Dress Codes

bilrus

It just does. It would probably take alot of pyschoanalysis to figure out exactly why. Deep down I resent imposing but not enforcing rules. I also resent people who think rules don't apply to them.

This sums up my feelings, too. I don't have a thought about the DC dining scene's dress codes, but when I'm at an all-inclusive Mexican resort, which is where I vacation about annually, I'm irked in many ways when I see people in shorts at dinner, where dress code is long pants and nice shirt. I'm suffering in long pants so why does someone else think they can be comfortable when I can't. My feeling is that these people feel they're above the rules - and restaurants/resorts/etc. don't want to kick them out because business is business. In a restaurant a cover is a cover. It's money in the till. How much is someone in cargo shorts and a Polo really affecting the rest of the room. Not so much, but it sure irks the shit out of some of us.

is there a solution?

I think there is. If the restaurant has a dress code, then it also must:

• Enforce the code,
  • Ensure diners are told of the code when they make reservations, and
  • Have a few such articles of clothing on hand by the front door.

When a diner arrives not dressed to the code, the restaurant then offers three choices to the diner, while making it clear it is because of the dress code:

• Wear this (hands diner a jacket or pants)
  • Sit in this dark corner away from others (if one exists)
  • Offer to make a reservation for another night...but no meal tonight

Clear communication and consistency are key here - as with other aspects that lead to a successful restaurant.

Also tell people about the freaking dress code. In the confirmation call, in the email, or smoke signals. If it is so bloody important that your staff will shame my guest for wearing something that might possibly be black dress jeans then I really think I shouldn't have to be a mind-reader to figure it out.

(Jean-George. I've grown much more bitter since December. I can't imagine dining at any of his establishments now...)

Also tell people about the freaking dress code. In the confirmation call, in the email, or smoke signals. If it is so bloody important that your staff will shame my guest for wearing something that might possibly be black dress jeans then I really think I shouldn't have to be a mind-reader to figure it out.

(Jean-George. I've grown much more bitter since December. I can't imagine dining at any of his establishments now...)

High end restaurants have had dress codes for a long time. If I think I need a reservation for a restaurant, then I automatically also look to see if there's a dress code.

At first I thought this doesn't bother me. Then I was reminded of a trip last summer to a dumb NJ beach bar, where I was turned away for not wearing long pants. I went back home (2 towns away) and changed, only to come in and see about 10 guys, in random groups, in shorts just like I was wearing originally.

Those guys were given a special pass that wasn't available to me. I get that special deals are given to regulars and all...but...why does the rule exist then EXCEPT to push down the commoners, the non-regulars? It clearly doesn't exist to make the room somehow look more dignified...because there are 10 guys in shorts. Or did they simply say "if we leave to go change, we're not coming back" then were let in based on the threat?

I have no expectation to be treated equally in every situation, but if there's a rule that I must follow, I'd expect there to be some apparent reason why someone else is exempt. This is especially true when the rule is based on aesthetics, where my legs aren't deemed appropriate but...others are?

I was mad that night but wanted to see the place. I won't be back.

I confess that I can't imagine Jean-Georges not having a dress code. A New York Times 4-star French place?

I also think that we as a nation should default more towards dressing well. I am old enough, I suppose, to be a fogey, but I've never heard anyone complain about a dress code who wasn't obviously underdressed on general principle (possible exception: the jayandstacy as related above).

C'mon, people! Let's try to make America a more beautiful place.

Also -- and this will mark me as a true reactionary -- something about a decent jacket and maybe even a necktie does tend to draw out the better manners in all of us.

• Like 1

I confess that I can't imagine Jean-Georges not having a dress code. A New York Times 4-star French place?

I also think that we as a nation should default more towards dressing well. I am old enough, I suppose, to be a fogey, but I've never heard anyone complain about a dress code who wasn't obviously underdressed on general principle (possible exception: the jayandstacy as related above).

Also -- and this will mark me as a true reactionary -- something about a decent jacket and maybe even a necktie does tend to draw out the better manners in all of us.

Yes! We have become a more brutal society in many ways. We've also become more obese, and I suspect that sloppy clothing covers lots of fat bellies.

I agree, and to be clear, I'm not against dress codes - even at that beach bar. I'm against saying there's one and and refusing my admittance, only to let me in once I comply only to see others who were exempt. Its even different from, say, someone getting a discount on their check...ok, maybe they're friends with the owner...and I got the advertised drinks at the advertised price. There was a deal, and I got it, there was an exchange of value.

But what do I get for the PITA of switching to long pants? Why did I bother to put the jacket on for the nice place? I was asked to do something extraordinary only to get nothing in return. Even the smallest kids know the feeling of being made a fool. That's the net of it...the person who followed the rule that isn't enforced feels like a fool in the traditional sense of the word.

I'm for consistency and clear communication. Typically, the latter begets the former.

I don't object to the dress code, I object to not being told about it. At the time, we couldn't find it on their website. I don't know if it is now. I called and complained to a manager after the fact and he acknowledged that it wasn't spelled out clearly. And the pants in question were on a woman so the whole "jacket and tie" thing wasn't an issue. The malicious delight the staff took in informing us of our failings was though. (And the same or similar outfits have been perfectly fine at Citronelle and elsewhere...)

I don't object to the dress code, I object to not being told about it. At the time, we couldn't find it on their website. I don't know if it is now. I called and complained to a manager after the fact and he acknowledged that it wasn't spelled out clearly. And the pants in question were on a woman so the whole "jacket and tie" thing wasn't an issue. The malicious delight the staff took in informing us of our failings was though. (And the same or similar outfits have been perfectly fine at Citronelle and elsewhere...)

I just looked on their website and can't find a dress code. Clicking all the way through to Open Table and around and around finally leads to a details page that says: "Jacket required." That doesn't tell me that women have to wear a skirt or dress or can only wear pants if they meet some specific criteria. I recall your writing about this before and this was for a lunch, which makes it seem even more harsh on their part.

It just does. It would probably take alot of pyschoanalysis to figure out exactly why. Deep down I resent imposing but not enforcing rules. I also resent people who think rules don't apply to them.

I know I've stated my opinion about this before, but here it goes. The restaurant is the one that creates the dress code. It is therefore the responsibility of the restaurant to enforce the dress code. If the restaurant chooses to NOT enforce the dress code, causing other patrons who follow the dress code to suffer, that's not the underdressed patrons fault. It's the restaurants.

I would be mad if I threw on a suit and drove to 1789 for dinner on a hot July day, only to find other patrons not adhering to 1789's stated dress code. But I wouldn't be mad at the diners.

Tbut when I'm at an all-inclusive Mexican resort, which is where I vacation about annually, I'm irked in many ways when I see people in shorts at dinner, where dress code is long pants and nice shirt. I'm suffering in long pants so why does someone else think they can be comfortable when I can't. My feeling is that these people feel they're above the rules - and restaurants/resorts/etc. don't want to kick them out because business is business. In a restaurant a cover is a cover. It's money in the till.

If the resort does not want to turn away diners that are not following the dress code, then they should CHANGE the dress code. It is the resort that is making you suffer while allowing their rules to be liberally applied, if at all

ETA- I am for dress codes at fine dining restaurants

This sums up my feelings, too. I don't have a thought about the DC dining scene's dress codes, but when I'm at an all-inclusive Mexican resort, which is where I vacation about annually, I'm irked in many ways when I see people in shorts at dinner, where dress code is long pants and nice shirt. I'm suffering in long pants so why does someone else think they can be comfortable when I can't.

You're suffering due to a dress code.

Forget about the inequity for a second, let me repeat that...you're suffering due to a dress code.

How is that good for anyone?

It's not good for you...you're uncomfortable.

It's not good for the restaurant...if you're not comfortable, you're probably not enjoying your meal as much as you could.

So how is having that dress code in any way a good thing?

Now I realize that this is a pretty isolated incident, but let me bring it back to DC....as uncomfortable as some of you are when someone isn't dressed appropriately, many of us are physically uncomfortable having to dress up.

I'm part of a generation that has never had to wear a suit to work, where business casual has always been the norm. I hate dressing up for dinner, and short of a really special restaurant, if I can't wear a pair of slacks and a polo shirt to a place, I probably won't go there.

Restaurants know this, which is why so many places have relaxed their dress codes.

The problem is, once relaxed, it becomes unclear what is acceptable and what isn't.

What the heck does business casual actually mean?

I'd be fine going in a polo shirt and nice jeans to a place that calls themselves business casual, which I imagine would offend some folks here.

So to sum up...if a restaurant has a clear dress policy, I will follow it, or I won't go.

If it doesn't, then I don't feel bad dressing however I feel is appropriate.

As we know, we eat with our eyes as well as our other senses. Otherwise, why would chefs & kitchen staff take the time to put food on the plate in a visually pleasing manner, clean the edges, etc. I hear a lot of "I'm not comfortable wearing XYZ" and I wonder how many of these (typically) men have ever owned dress clothes that actually fit them properly and if this, in itself, is a huge part of the push-back against dressing up.

I, for one, look forward to a chance to dress up from time to time and go to a restaurant that is more special than the everyday grab-a-bite place in the neighborhood. It's just nicer, to me, when the other patrons of the restaurant see it as a chance for a small celebration as well and dress as such. I will say, if I'm heading out for a Korean place that grills at the table, of course I'm going to dress down to avoid splatters and stains on more delicate fabrics.

I, for one, look forward to a chance to dress up from time to time and go to a restaurant that is more special than the everyday grab-a-bite place

Which is exactly why I respect & still love The Prime Rib. Although I am usually the youngest male in there by 30 years (there are always 20-something females <_< ), it is Coat and Tie at dinner, and it is enforced.

I cannot think of another fine dining restaurant that has as restrictive dress code, and enforces it. And for the record, I once was taken there without prior knowledge, and I did not have a tie. Had to put on a loaner, which was horrendous. Although I hated that meal and felt like an imbecile, my only other option was to leave.

From my perspective, there are at least two reasons I can articulate why dress codes/dressing up is a challenge.

1. We don't always distinguish between eating and dining. There are ubiquitous, low-effort options for eating, ranging from pre-packaged sandwiches at gas stations to fast food to fast casual; and these options require very little in the way of manners or decorum. In fact, the fast food chains attract children with play areas and toy add-ons that teach little ones that playing (running amok) and eating are connected. A lot of people don't make much of a cognifive shift between the "eating" mode and the "dining" mode. If your normal world view is that you can drop in on Fast McCasual and Fake Neighborhood-vibe chain and Olive Garden wearing gym shorts, then it may be difficult to see that a different restaurant might require a different mode of dress. If you simply view every restaurant only as a place to get food, then the only difference is price and menu choices, not what you wear or how others may be dressed.

2. In general I just think manners are getting worse. At the core, manners are just ways of acting that make life easier and more pleasant for everyone. Waiting your turn, using an indoor voice, trying not to block aisles...these are just things we should do because the world is a nicer place when we do. But truly, I see a real degradation in manners. This "me, first" attitude is getting more and more prevalent. People just don't seem to care about how their actions affect others across situations. People just don't care so much about manners (and KT - I am a southern girl and having good manners was just about as important as religion when I was growing up!). So if you don't care, you don't worry about how failing to follow a dress code affects others, or the restaurant itself. The onus is on the restaurant to enforce, which is awkward, because once someone has crossed the threshold of a restaurant, the options for rectifying the situation are generally pretty bad.

I like that there are so many casual or business casual places to have a delicious and wonderful "dining" experience. I am most often dressed casually. I like to have a lot of options. I also like the "dressed up" places where putting on something fancier is part of the theater of the experience. And I like to plan for that and to be around others who want that same experience. So, frankly, I am a little bit sad when I go to a more "dressed-up" place and there's a table of folks in gym shorts using their outdoor voices. To me, it's not only bad manners, but it's like going to a play and having a character out of costume.

The problem is, once relaxed, it becomes unclear what is acceptable and what isn't.

What the heck does business casual actually mean?

I'd be fine going in a polo shirt and nice jeans to a place that calls themselves business casual, which I imagine would offend some folks here.

I think most if not all white collared workers know what "business casual" means. They most certainly should know that business casual does not involve wearing shorts or flip-flops. They most certainly should know that a collared shirt is required - which includes a polo shirt. There was a time when I'm certain business casual doesn't include jeans but I'm less certain of that these days - financial types and IT types might well have differing points of view on that point. A little effort goes a long way, thus I don't have a problem with a job applicant in a cheap suit but I do have a problem with someone who shows up to an interview with a nose ring, visible tattoo, or not wearing a suit.

P.S. My interpretation of any type of "casual" for restaurant purposes includes unripped jeans.

I think most if not all white collared workers know what "business casual" means. They most certainly should know that business casual does not involve wearing shorts or flip-flops. They most certainly should know that a collared shirt is required - which includes a polo shirt. There was a time when I'm certain business casual doesn't include jeans but I'm less certain of that these days - financial types and IT types might well have differing points of view on that point. A little effort goes a long way, thus I don't have a problem with a job applicant in a cheap suit but I do have a problem with someone who shows up to an interview with a nose ring, visible tattoo, or not wearing a suit.

P.S. My interpretation of any type of "casual" for restaurant purposes includes unripped jeans.

I think you're right on, but I'd still rather see restaurants be as specific as possible. I'm in my typical nice jeans and a collared shirt today, and looking around for RW options. I checked the website of Ris, and it said:

"RIS is an upscale neighborhood café. Proper attire is requested."

What the heck does that mean? To me, it sounds like a non-jeans type request, and I'm going to go elsewhere....possibly to Rasika West End again, which is probably just as formal as Ris, but says nothing about attire on their web site.

Much confusion.

Now I realize that this is a pretty isolated incident, but let me bring it back to DC....as uncomfortable as some of you are when someone isn't dressed appropriately, many of us are physically uncomfortable having to dress up.

I'm part of a generation that has never had to wear a suit to work, where business casual has always been the norm.

I am probably in your generation, unless you are not in your twenties, and there are tons of people who have to wear suits to work. Heck you have to wear a suit to work at Nordstroms, Lord and Taylor (maybe even Macy's?), any law firm, any lobbying firm, a lot of government agencies (local, state, fed), a good majority of offices these days still require suits, most teachers at least wear blazers and ties, I have never seen a finance guy not wearing a suit, my insurance broker wears a suit, my doctor wears a suit (although he takes the jacket off and puts his doctor jacket on when seeing patients), my dentist wears a suit, most psychologists I know wear suits, a lot of GMs of restaurants wear suits, lots of sommeliers wear suits. So a lot of people are still required to wear suits daily, even in your generation, although you might not.

I am probably in your generation, unless you are not in your twenties, and there are tons of people who have to wear suits to work. Heck you have to wear a suit to work at Nordstroms, Lord and Taylor (maybe even Macy's?), any law firm, any lobbying firm, a lot of government agencies (local, state, fed), a good majority of offices these days still require suits, most teachers at least wear blazers and ties, I have never seen a finance guy not wearing a suit, my insurance broker wears a suit, my doctor wears a suit (although he takes the jacket off and puts his doctor jacket on when seeing patients), my dentist wears a suit, most psychologists I know wear suits, a lot of GMs of restaurants wear suits, lots of sommeliers wear suits. So a lot of people are still required to wear suits daily, even in your generation, although you might not.

Can we at least accept the general assumption that formal wear is worn less than it was 20 years ago?

Incidentally, I just had lunch at Ris...yeah, I wasn't going to, but Rasika was packed, and Ris had an almost empty bar that I felt fine sitting at...and in a packed dining room I saw no suits, two men in sport jackets, and everyone else in nice shirt/slacks. I was the only one in jeans. Mea culpa.

Great lunch, btw.

You know, if Eve didn't require a jacket for dinner, we probably would have been there by now. Not because I don't own a jacket or enjoy wearing one, but because my wife is so turned off by how ALL of their websites are written. Do they suffer by not having me as customer? Absolutely not.

Also considering the fact that I would never wear a jacket while eating, I almost always disrobe before sitting down.

I hate to change the subject away from the dress code thing, but the line about being turned off by Restaurant Eve's (and the rest of their empire's) websites caught my eye. What does your wife dislike about them?

I think I may be with her. Not so much the website (although I see some of it there too) but their menus and other written things like facebook pages. For some reason, I really get turned off and annoyed by the cutesy wording on the menus at Majestic and Society Fair and the rest of them for that matter.

From the Majestic:

Shannon ‘Red’ Overmiller - Chef

Edwin Tannahill - Sous Chef

Nathan Hatfield - The Baker

Maria Chicas- The Oracle- Sommelier

Selchuk Once- The Shadow

Chrissy Wilson - The Siren- Sommelier

Daniel Orkwis - The Wizard

It shouldn't bother me, but it does when I see titles like wizard, shadow, siren and oracle. I'm sure some people love that stuff, but for me it's such a turn off I have to use all my powers of restraint not to get up and walk out when I see that.

Or, from Restaurant Eve:

Todd Thrasher

General Manager, Sommelier & Liquid Savant

I can barely handle "mixologist" as a title, but "Liquid Savant"?!?!? Check please!

Or maybe it's all the flash stuff that makes the websites user unfriendly?

I'm not JuneBacon's wife, but I find the attire section of the Eve website offputting. I had enjoyed dining at Eve a few times, including the Tasting Room, until I saw the attire comment. It really rubbed me the wrong way. As a woman whose weight has varied widely throughout my whole life, I'm happy to have decent clothes that match whatever size I am at a given time. Being told that I am expected to look "spectacular" to dine with them sets my teeth on edge. I do what I can and maybe sometimes might pass for stylish-ish, but I don't like that being a requirement for eating somewhere.

"The Attire Request

In our restaurant gentlemen wear jackets. In the Chef's Tasting Room, you will find gentlemen in jackets and ties. It is certainly not our place to mandate how one dresses - however, being comfortable in your surroundings while dining in a fine dining atmosphere is a priority.

As it should be, one will find the ladies that dine with us take the time look spectacular and dress in fine garments for dinner. If you are joining us in the bar, you will find guests slightly less formal and many pair jackets with stylish jeans."

I'm not JuneBacon's wife, but I find the attire section of the Eve website offputting. I had enjoyed dining at Eve a few times, including the Tasting Room, until I saw the attire comment. It really rubbed me the wrong way. As a woman whose weight has varied widely throughout my whole life, I'm happy to have decent clothes that match whatever size I am at a given time. Being told that I am expected to look "spectacular" to dine with them sets my teeth on edge. I do what I can and maybe sometimes might pass for stylish-ish, but I don't like that being a requirement for eating somewhere.

"The Attire Request

In our restaurant gentlemen wear jackets. In the Chef's Tasting Room, you will find gentlemen in jackets and ties. It is certainly not our place to mandate how one dresses - however, being comfortable in your surroundings while dining in a fine dining atmosphere is a priority.

As it should be, one will find the ladies that dine with us take the time look spectacular and dress in fine garments for dinner. If you are joining us in the bar, you will find guests slightly less formal and many pair jackets with stylish jeans."

I don't read anything at all weight-related in this request; they're simply stating that if you attend the Inaugural Ball, you should dress accordingly. I was once sitting at the bar, and asked Cathal if I could buy something off the Tasting Room menu - his response: "If you want to fly first class, you have to buy a ticket." There's nothing wrong with this.

That's funny. I always assumed at work and everywhere else, dress codes were put in place for benefit/education of men. My experience is that 99.9999% of women always dress professionally. It's those dopey men you have to spell it out for....collared shirts, no jeans, no hats, shave and shower before work, etc.

I don't read anything at all weight-related in this request; they're simply stating that if you attend the Inaugural Ball, you should dress accordingly. I was once sitting at the bar, and asked Cathal if I could buy something off the Tasting Room menu - his response: "If you want to fly first class, you have to buy a ticket." There's nothing wrong with this.

You'll note that the description for men is about what items of clothing they wear. For women, it is about how they look and the quality of their garments.

You'll note that the description for men is about what items of clothing they wear. For women, it is about how they look and the quality of their garments.

I adored the food at Eve but I found myself grinding my teeth after a visit. The website irks me. The public persona of one of the principles is like nail on the chalkboard to me. So I stopped going. Once in a while I think about heading over for lunch and then I stop. Life is too short.

• Like 1

From my perspective, there are at least two reasons I can articulate why dress codes/dressing up is a challenge.

1. We don't always distinguish between eating and dining. There are ubiquitous, low-effort options for eating, ranging from pre-packaged sandwiches at gas stations to fast food to fast casual; and these options require very little in the way of manners or decorum. In fact, the fast food chains attract children with play areas and toy add-ons that teach little ones that playing (running amok) and eating are connected. A lot of people don't make much of a cognifive shift between the "eating" mode and the "dining" mode. If your normal world view is that you can drop in on Fast McCasual and Fake Neighborhood-vibe chain and Olive Garden wearing gym shorts, then it may be difficult to see that a different restaurant might require a different mode of dress. If you simply view every restaurant only as a place to get food, then the only difference is price and menu choices, not what you wear or how others may be dressed.

2. In general I just think manners are getting worse. At the core, manners are just ways of acting that make life easier and more pleasant for everyone. Waiting your turn, using an indoor voice, trying not to block aisles...these are just things we should do because the world is a nicer place when we do. But truly, I see a real degradation in manners. This "me, first" attitude is getting more and more prevalent. People just don't seem to care about how their actions affect others across situations. People just don't care so much about manners (and KT - I am a southern girl and having good manners was just about as important as religion when I was growing up!). So if you don't care, you don't worry about how failing to follow a dress code affects others, or the restaurant itself. The onus is on the restaurant to enforce, which is awkward, because once someone has crossed the threshold of a restaurant, the options for rectifying the situation are generally pretty bad.

I like that there are so many casual or business casual places to have a delicious and wonderful "dining" experience. I am most often dressed casually. I like to have a lot of options. I also like the "dressed up" places where putting on something fancier is part of the theater of the experience. And I like to plan for that and to be around others who want that same experience. So, frankly, I am a little bit sad when I go to a more "dressed-up" place and there's a table of folks in gym shorts using their outdoor voices. To me, it's not only bad manners, but it's like going to a play and having a character out of costume.

[i have a problem with this post:

1) It isn't an angry rant

2) It is thoughtful and accommodating

3) It seems unaffected by personal issues

In other words, it has no place in this discussion.]

In a generally positive note, completely off topic I have been in a sling for a few days, and people have been really truly exceptionally nice, hostess at district common carried my drink to the table, people all over opening doors, offering to carry stuff for me. Really, really nice. It has been kind of refreshing to see that kind of kindness.

In a generally positive note, completely off topic I have been in a sling for a few days, and people have been really truly exceptionally nice, hostess at district common carried my drink to the table, people all over opening doors, offering to carry stuff for me. Really, really nice. It has been kind of refreshing to see that kind of kindness.

When something like this shocks people from complacency, you realize that our technological society is the leading cause of apathy, just like industrial food (combined with our sedentary, technological society) is the leading cause of obesity. It's not the individual's fault; people didn't all of a sudden become genetic, scrotal zeppelins in the past twenty years. Blame the cigarette food manufacturing companies and television the internet.

You know, if Eve didn't require a jacket for dinner, we probably would have been there by now. Not because I don't own a jacket or enjoy wearing one, but because my wife is so turned off by how ALL of their websites are written. Do they suffer by not having me as customer? Absolutely not.

Also considering the fact that I would never wear a jacket while eating, I almost always disrobe before sitting down.

FYI, not everybody wears a jacket in the Tasting Room at Eve. Last month I saw a couple of men wearing khaki's and a polo shirt. A year ago a couple was seated next to us and the man was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers. Both of these meals were mid-week so perhaps they enforce it more on the weekend.

On 8/17/2012 at 2:18 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

I adored the food at Eve but I found myself grinding my teeth after a visit. The website irks me. The public persona of one of the principles is like nail on the chalkboard to me. So I stopped going. Once in a while I think about heading over for lunch and then I stop. Life is too short.

Just noticed this.  I've had the same reaction. 

• Like 1