Get Your Bryan Voltaggio Bobblehead!

DonRocks

Wait, he's taking over the concession stand, too?!?!?!?!?!?!

Fuck me, I might actually go now. I'm a sucker for Minor League baseball as it is......

I'm game. Anyone else want in? Happy to carpool to avoid some of the I-270 mess...

B1G1F tickets with a Kraft Singles wrapper!

I actually already pulled the trigger on a pair of tickets for myself and a friend, but feel free to join us in section 208 if you're so inclined! :)

(and yes - I DID pick my section based on proximity to the 3rd base concession stand)

If you're solo in a car, that's a long drive. 270 is murder during rush hour. If you wanted to get there for first pitch, I'd say you'd have to leave no later than 5:30, and 5 would be safer. It can take 45 minutes or more just to GET to 270 during rush hour.

If you want to Metro out to MoCo, I'll be picking folks up from some MoCo station probably around 5:30 or so and carpooling up to Frederick.

We are going, I forget where our seats are, but not in section 208, it might be the opposite end of the field (this is what happens when your husband who actually likes sports picks the seats or just hits best seats). But hoping to drive up in time to get a bobblehead!

We are going, I forget where our seats are, but not in section 208, it might be the opposite end of the field (this is what happens when your husband who actually likes sports picks the seats or just hits best seats). But hoping to drive up in time to get a bobblehead!

Please, please post a pic of said bobblehead, even if it's someone else's!

(i'll take "sentences i've never said before")

(for $1,000)

(alex)

What a great afternoon/evening. DR.com was well represented last night.

There will be more about the specific food on offer, the lengh of the line and the genuine warmth Chef Voltaggio and his team generated.

I hope this was market/menu testing for a new casual restaurant. Something small, but sparky: "9 Volt" or maybe more baseball themed: "AAA" or the like.

Well I had a wonderful time last night! We arrived at 6:30 which was too late to get a bobblehead and the concession line was packed so we went to our seats. A nice couple in front of us who clearly were more baseball fans than Volt fans gave me a bobblehead and then I got it signed after Bryan and his son threw out the first pitch.

Then stood in line with a really sweet couple from Great Brittan to get food. It was a long line, but you could watch the game from pretty much all points, and they were great company. Hubby had some fun seat companions back at his seat including Lydia R. I was really impressed with two of the appetizers. The Dippin dots gazpacho with rock shrimp was my favorite of the night. I love dippin dots, and the flavors in this dish were incredible, dots of cucumber, tomato with microgreens. The rock shrimp were not tough or chewy. Really amazing for a baseball game. I was also happy it appeared to be glutten free as I have to lower my glutten intake, and used up all that on the soft shell sandwich and parts of the desserts. Except for the unremarkable bun the soft shell was also really well prepared (I took most of the bun off) it wasn't breaded very much at all. It had great flavor and the accompaniments were good too. I am not sure what the sauce was but seemed to be like an asian slaw of some sort, I forget what it was called on the menu.

I also had the tune nicoise salad which was really good too, it had bites of spicy and savory and sweet. It had snap peas, peppers, hard boiled egg, ahi-tuna, microgreens I think and four different sauces in each corner. One mint, one more spicy and I am not sure what the other two were. I really liked this dish and again it was much more composed than normal ballpark food. I really enjoyed the flavors. I had a bite of the burger which was excellent and really juicy and bite of the lamb sausage which I thought was one of the least remarkable dishes, but much better than a regular hot dog. I didn't think the pulled pork was too different in any way than normal pulled pork, but then again I didn't eat the whole sandwich just a bite of the meat itself.

The desserts were great. The key lime pie was amazing. I loved the crust which was graham cracker, but was almost carmelized on the bottom. The custard was phenomenal. It was really the best key lime pie I have ever had (sorry Rays and shops in Key West). Hubby said it was a little fancy, but devoured it in all of two seconds after giving me a bite. I had the cobbler and it was chock full of blueberries and blackberries. It was really great.

This makes me hope and pray he opens a more "casual" restaurant that makes unique food like this. Kind of like the Central to Citronelle.

I have pictures on my iphone, will post them later, sorry most everything has a bite out of it as I was so hungry I couldn't remember to take pictures.

But the people I talked with made the night great. I am from Western Maryland and went to college just north of Frederick so it was fun to talk to people about the good press Volt has brought to the whole city. I have always loved Frederick, so am glad to see it getting more visitors. The game was packed. And unfortunately they lost, but it meant ticketholders can get a ticket to another game free. It was a fun place to watch baseball as there were no bad seats. And the kids running for fly balls were cute as can be.

gnatharobed, her friend, and I managed to order the entire appetizer/entree/dessert menu between the 3 of us.

Most of it I thought was good, but not great, on the restaurant scale. On ballpark scale, it was fabulous.

Appetizers:

Dippin Dots shrimp ceviche - very clever, very tasty. A few icy bites, but I'd order this again

Tuna "nicoise" salad - tuna was way overcooked. sauces were tasty

Truffle popcorn - fine, nothing special

Entrees:

Shrimp wrap - I liked this more than others. Not exciting, but well prepared

Pulled pork - very tasty - liked the dressing on the sandwich

Soft shell crab sandwich - very good, as previously noted

Lamb hot dog - dish of the night for me, which is too bad, because he bought these, not housemade

Burger - overcooked and forgettable

Desserts:

Key Lime Pie - nice riff on the classic.

Chocolate covered banana - not FROZEN as expected, but in which case he should have used firmer bananas - mine was approaching overripe

ice cream sandwich - nice cookie, forgettable ice cream, melted too fast

Peach cobbler - was actually BLUEBERRY peach cobbler, and the peaches were completely overwhelmed by the berries

P.S. Weather was delightful, game was sloppy (as was expected for A ball), the Keys 2B/SS have no speed/range (and thus no hopes of seeing the show), and since they lost, everyones tickets are good for another weekday game this season ("Guaranteed Win Tuesday" promotion).

First off, I'm glad that I accidentally got there early last night - I ended up at the front gates an hour before they opened, and my friend and I were in the first 25 or so folks to get into the ballpark, meaning that I was also one of the first people to get served.

Why is that important (besides the obvious)? The line for food went from the stand on the 3rd base side all the way around to the foul pole on the 1st base side, and never really thinned out much beyond that. Hearing people at the front of the line, they said they had been in line for an hour and a half for food. I had planned on going back in the line later for dessert items, but I just don't have the patience to wait that long for any sort of food item, especially when you start thinking that they'll possibly either stop serving or run out by the time you get up front.

Speaking of the food, DanielK said it best - if you went expecting elite restaurant cuisine, you were disappointed (and, frankly, way unreasonable with your expectations). If you were looking for a gourmet riff on ballpark food, you were happy.

Of what I had:

-The shrimp ceviche with gazpacho "Dippin Dots" was really clever, and had good flavor. Probably the best example on the menu of Bryan being playful with the blend of gourmet and ballpark.

-The tuna "nicoise" had good flavor, but as noted, the tuna itself was way overcooked. It was served in a plastic sushi-style container, and I suspect steaming in the box had more than a little to do with this.

-I liked the lamb hot dog fine, but I was more of a fan of the condiment (chow chow, I believe?) on top than the hot dog itself.

-My friend wanted to do the soft-shell crab sandwich, which I tried despite not liking soft shell crab. This didn't do anything to change my mind, but I'm not sure anybody could.

-The pulled pork sandwich was my winner of the night. Pretty much exactly what I want out of such a sandwich (minus the boring purchased bun, but only a lunatic would bake bread for this kind of event).

Apparently Bryan was on the local news saying that he'd like to run a concession stand again one night. Can I buy my tickets now?

I will echo the previous comments. Went with my daughter and we had a great time last night. It was really nice that most of us were all in the same section. Next time we do a game we will have to go as a group and get "Donrockwell.com" on the jumbotron.

Glad we got there early (about 5:30) so we were able to get bobbleheads. Most of us were in line together for food so the hour plus wait for food passed quickly. When we left in the 7th inning the line for food was still wrapped around the stadium.

Lamb Hot dog and soft shell crab were my favorites (took off the forgetable buns).

Burger had temperature issues.

Daughter thought popcorn rocked!!

What happens in baseball parks during the off-season? VOLTink, concession food will be their take on ballpark food, beverages by Flying Dog and Brewers Alley, kickball, and music too. deets here

Volt Ink. spelled backwards is Knit Lov.

Do you know what? I don't mean to be dim, but I just realized (maybe for the first time) that Volt is named after Bryan Voltaggio.

(#anddon'tgetmestartedonHarryGrove.)

(#ithinkdifferentlythanmostpeople)

Other possibilities for area chefs wishing to capitalize on their names:

Arm

Fur

Kink

Ok

Bub

Fab

Coop

Stef

Cash

Rich

Pasta

Mill

Sun

Mon

Pow

Vanda

Burr

Ha (L'Auberge)

He (Grapeseed)

Karo

Rut

Bail

Chit

Sing

Drew

Art

Other possibilities for area chefs wishing to capitalize on their names:

Arm

Fur

Kink

Ok

Bub

Fab

Coop

Stef

Cash

Rich

Pasta

Mill

Sun

Mon

Pow

Vanda

Burr

Ha (L'Auberge)

He (Grapeseed)

Karo

Rut

Bail

Chit

Sing

Drew

Art

(psst: don't get Rocks started on the possible combinations of merged restaurants....)