Where Do You Get Your Thanksgiving Turkey?

silentbob

Bump.

Some discussion above on Thanksgiving birds suggested capon instead of turkey. Where can you reliably find capons around here? I'm probably going to do something for Thanksgiving other than a roast fowl, but would consider a capon if I could be confident of finding one. Anyone?

Bumpity, bump, bump.

I am hosting Thanksgiving for 6-8 persons this year.  I normally cook quite a bit of the Thanksgiving meal, but conquering the turkey is not normally my domain.  It is this year.  (I don't even have a roasting pan that big, but will steal it from my Mother.)  So I have some questions on what turkey to buy.  It looks like Eastern Market and WFM were generally preferred in the turkey category.  Is this still true?  Any idea of their respective price points?  What size turkey should one buy for 6-8 people (assuming we do like a little bit of turkey for leftover sandwiches).  What about Wegman's??

I don't really want to spend lots of money on a super fancy bird, but would like a decent one.

For anyone else who might be thinking about their turkey purchases, I'd like to recommend P.A. Bowen, although I should give the disclaimer that I am basing my recommendation on being familiar with their farming practices and having eaten their chicken. I have not actually yet had their turkey. However, their chicken is the best I've had from a local farm and their farming practices are pretty much ideal. I've taken a farm tour there with the owner (Sally Fallon of WAP "fame") and farm manager and am a big fan (plus they make great cheese!).

Ktmoomau, may not work for you as I imagine they're not cheap, but wanted to mention it in case others are interested.

We got ours from Harvey's Market at UM last year.  I think Eberly provides the fresh birds (same as their chicken).  It wasn't supermarket cheap, but I didn't feel it was too ridiculously expensive.  About on par with other farmers market birds we've had in the past; I thought the quality last year was better, though.

Zora - For comparison, how much per pound was a Polyface bird?

We got ours from Harvey's Market at UM last year.  I think Eberly provides the fresh birds (same as their chicken).  It wasn't supermarket cheap, but I didn't feel it was too ridiculously expensive.  About on par with other farmers market birds we've had in the past; I thought the quality last year was better, though.

Zora - For comparison, how much per pound was a Polyface bird?

Can't remember what I paid last year, but this year they are $4.99 a pound.

I love Maple Lawn, they used to be a Whole Foods supplier but i don't know if they are any more.  And if they are, its not region wide.

Truck Patch is a superb traditional bird.  Mt Pleasant, 14th and U, and Bloomingdale 1st and R markets.

Glad you like them, Dean!  Truck Patch is taking orders for Thanksgiving Turkeys at all three markets.

I'm getting mine from South Mountain Creamery again.  The turkeys come from Sensenig Farms in Lancaster County, and I've been satisfied with them in the past. This year, they have an option to order an extra turkey to be donated to one of the three area charities for distribution to families in need.  (It's listed as "donation turkey" under the "holiday" menu on the site.)  The DC option is Martha's Table.

I'm getting mine from South Mountain Creamery again.  The turkeys come from Sensenig Farms in Lancaster County, and I've been satisfied with them in the past. This year, they have an option to order an extra turkey to be donated to one of the three area charities for distribution to families in need.  (It's listed as "donation turkey" under the "holiday" menu on the site.)  The DC option is Martha's Table.

That's really a great idea!

The Whole Ox in Marshall, VA has 5 different varieties of turkey including the famed "Kelly Bronze".  I had never heard of a Kelly Bronze, but they sent out an email last week raving about it and calling it the Cadillac of Turkeys.  Here's an article from the Post on it: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/why-2-farmers-think-a-british-turkey-belongs-on-your-thanksgiving-table/2015/09/24/2172464c-6173-11e5-b38e-06883aacba64_story.html

Of course it's a mere $12 a pound and they're only available in 19-21 pound sizes!

http://thewholeox.com/thanksgiving-2015/

Ok.... so practical question:

I ordered a bird from Mom's Organic Market that can feed 14-18 people.  I know form last year when I go in they will try to give me one on the bigger side if I ask and if they have it (although I used the biggest pot I had for brine last year and it barely fit).  Right now I have 14 people confirmed for Thanksgiving.  BUT there are four people that could potentially show up last minute.   I was thinking maybe I should just get another breast just in case?  Then if they don't show up, I can just freeze it?  I am not sure MOM's has turkey breasts, but they likely do at Thanksgiving?  If not I assume Whole Foods has them?  (I know Wegman's carries them no matter the time of year and wish I could get out there, but it isn't looking that likely right now.)

There is another thread on DR that discusses Greenberg Smoked Turkeys.  After reading that I ordered their smallest bird -- 6 lbs-- and it was delivered pretty quickly.  It arrives fully cooked, so all you have to do is slice it.  I can't tell you how delicious this was.  In fact, I just made turkey broth using the carcass and it was incredible.  Might be something you want to consider.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2016 at 4:05 PM, LauraB said:

There is another thread on DR that discusses Greenberg Smoked Turkeys.  After reading that I ordered their smallest bird -- 6 lbs-- and it was delivered pretty quickly.  It arrives fully cooked, so all you have to do is slice it.  I can't tell you how delicious this was.  In fact, I just made turkey broth using the carcass and it was incredible.  Might be something you want to consider.

Thanks, unfortunately my Hubby's grandmother passed away, so I didn't get a chance to do this.  I SO wish I had.

I am traveling for the funeral, but coming home late tomorrow night.  I called MOM's to make sure I could still get my turkey and it was a really irritating phone call.  First I asked if I could pick up my turkey late- Wednesday, they said I could.  So I said that was great, I needed a turkey on the large side and asked if they could set mine aside for me, so that I could pick it up late- after minutes on hold, they said no, it's first come, first serve for size.  They told me if they made an exception for me, they would have to make one for everyone- I hate this saying- just because you make an exception for one person, who had a family member pass away and needs to come home later than expected to attend a funeral- does not mean you have to make an exception for everyone.  You could quietly set my turkey aside, say we are sorry for your loss and will make sure you Thanksgiving goes smoothly don't worry about this part of your week, and let me pick it up a day later than I expected.  So then I asked if I could pay for it now, so I could get my large turkey and have a friend pick it up, or I could pick it up on Wednesday.  No, no phone payments.  AND I was told explicitly if I waited until Wednesday, I wasn't likely to get the size I wanted, those went quick.  They were not very kind on the phone just in their tone.  I told them I was so sorry that my family circumstance was inconvenient for their process.  To which they finally said, no we are sorry, in a tone that I knew they were not sorry.  They will let me have a friend pick up my reserved turkey tomorrow am instead of pm, but there is no way for me to pay for it.  Thank goodness I have a best friend who is amazing and is going tomorrow morning and will pay for it and I can pay her back.  MOM's doesn't know this, but last weekend Hubby's great uncle died, and his uncle was diagnosed with bone cancer this week and is very far along, and it's just shitty month, and I am really looking forward to some joy at Thanksgiving with all my family and friends.  The stress to get to that day though and their lack of real common sense customer service means I will not ever purchase a turkey from them again.  

I'm sorry things are so bad right now, Katelin. I hope Thanksgiving brings some joy.

My turkey arrived overnight sometime from South Mountain Creamery. I ordered a 10-12 lb. turkey and the one that arrived on my doorstep weighs in at 11.22 lbs.  As in the other years I've ordered them, this is sourced from Sensenig Turkey Farm in Lilitz, PA, Lancaster County.  

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 4:05 PM, LauraB said:

oh, yeah.  Been doing that for some years.  Greenberg smoked turkey for a "different kind of turkey (w/ or without a roasted turkey) and then greenberg turkey stock prepared slightly differently than stock made with the roasted turkey carcass.  Two stocks with an opportunity to vary the flavors/thickness.  Oh yeah.  

On 11/4/2015 at 9:04 AM, Bart said:

The Whole Ox in Marshall, VA has 5 different varieties of turkey including the famed "Kelly Bronze".  I had never heard of a Kelly Bronze, but they sent out an email last week raving about it and calling it the Cadillac of Turkeys.  Here's an article from the Post on it: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/why-2-farmers-think-a-british-turkey-belongs-on-your-thanksgiving-table/2015/09/24/2172464c-6173-11e5-b38e-06883aacba64_story.html

Of course it's a mere $12 a pound and they're only available in 19-21 pound sizes!

http://thewholeox.com/thanksgiving-2015/

Did you get one? Or has anyone tried out these birds? Thinking of trying it out for Thanksgiving this year since we will be home and not at the in laws as usual. 

On 10/21/2017 at 2:13 PM, lion said:

Did you get one? Or has anyone tried out these birds? Thinking of trying it out for Thanksgiving this year since we will be home and not at the in laws as usual. 

Don’t know about Bart, but we get our Turkey from the Whole Ox and have done so for years. We usually get two - a larger local turkey and a smaller Kelly Bronze. I’ve been very happy with both the birds and the store!