El Chilango, Taco Truck in Rosslyn Owned by Jesus and Juan Santacruz - Opening a Restaurant at 11th and V Street

I visited Jesus' taco truck for the first time a couple days ago, and I have to say it's really good. Really really good. It reminds me a lot of the tacos I've had in Mexico which is honestly the highest praise I can give. I've tried the pastor (spicy pork), chorizo and asado (grilled beef) so far. The best is the pastor. Oh have I missed pastor tacos. Other fillings are tongue, and chicken. Have not tried those yet. I also see Res (beef) on there, I'll have to ask about that. By the way, no other options. No veggie, no fish.

Its pretty cheap, $2 per (cash only), and they are open every day 11am-8pm. Win all around.

We missed District Taco's closing time at the Courthouse Farmers' Market by justthismuch, so after some hand-wringing (I *really* wanted tacos) and research, we hit this truck. We were not disappointed. The offerings haven't expanded, but boy, they hit the spot. We tried the al pastor, asada, chorizo, and chicken. They come with onion and cilantro, with cucumber, radish, and lime on the side, plus a spicy red salsa and a tomatillo salsa. The gentleman cooking them had trouble remembering how many we had ordered of each, so I was the lucky recipient of a bonus al pastor to eat while we waited - perfect, since I was starving. The chicken was a little dry, but was fine after the tomatillo salsa and some lime. For $16, this was a great lunch.

Overall, I would say that it was well worth the walk from Rosslyn (Wilson and N Oak) to get some tacos today. I had four tacos - beef, pork, tongue, chorizo - and I would say that the tongue was the hands down winner. I also liked the pork a bit more than the beef, although it had some dry spots to it, and I can say that I wouldn't order the chorizo again. It wasn't that the chorizo was bad, I just tend to like it more as a complimentary flavor as opposed to the main flavor. The green and red sauces that came with the tacos were excellent and Jesus was more than welcoming, we even got a free taco for our group. The pricing was a bit off - we found out later that some people were charged $3 for each taco and others were charged $2 per taco - but we are guessing that was nothing more than a math error somewhere along the way.

I don't see that anyone has mentioned Jesus's special "relish" - relish in quotes as I'm not sure just what to call it. Sliced onions, diced habaneros, dressed in lime juice for a quick pickle: the heat is just gorgeous, not very hot but nicely warm, the onion is sweet, and the lime gives the perfect tang. It isn't left out for you to help yourself but if you ask for it he generally seems to have it on hand in the back.