Eat Wonky, DC Food Truck

Eat Wonky is having a "soft opening" of sorts, per their twitter feed (driving around). Official start on Friday, 9/3.

They were in my neighborhood last week. I walked past the truck and noticed two things (1) $7 for a Wonky Dog (um wow, that's a lot of money for a hotdog ) and (2) the fries didn't look appetizing enough to order. Just my observations not based on taste...

$7 for a Wonky Dog (um wow, that's a lot of money for a hotdog )

Well, sure, you're paying for the ambiance and the chance to show that...hey, I'm actually eating from a truck! Just like the cool kids!!

Either that, or it's a really, really, really, really, really good hot dog.

$7 for a Wonky Dog (um wow, that's a lot of money for a hotdog )

The price for the hot dog includes french fries so it's not quite as terrible as it seems.

What's not clear to me is if it's a hot dog and fries on the side, or hot dogs and fries together. The latter has potential. However, the inclusion of hot dogs at all on the menu seems a curious decision. After all, we aren't exactly hurting for street cart hot dog availability ...

Now when is someone going to import the Spudrito to DC? Perfect street truck food.

The price for the hot dog includes french fries so it's not quite as terrible as it seems.

What's not clear to me is if it's a hot dog and fries on the side, or hot dogs and fries together. The latter has potential. However, the inclusion of hot dogs at all on the menu seems a curious decision. After all, we aren't exactly hurting for street cart hot dog availability ...

Now when is someone going to import the Spudrito to DC? Perfect street truck food.

Thanks for clarifying... my comment was based on the sign in front of the truck which had hot dogs and fries listed separately. What's a spudrito? I could google but I'm feeling lazy this Sunday night.

What's a spudrito?

I misspelled - it's spuderito, simply defined it's a french fry burrito - from Rick's in Pasadena CA. Fries, cheese, hot sauce. Wonderful thing where the sum is definitely greater than the individual parts.. Perfect street truck food. Someone definitely should try this here.

After all, we aren't exactly hurting for street cart hot dog availability ...

I must disagree, there was a time not very long ago when the DC area had ample pizza options, but they pretty much all sucked, that has started to change. Hot dogs are at a similar place where pizza was just a few years ago, as far as I can tell all of the street cart hot dogs are not worth eating, if someone actually sold one that was decent I would heartily celebrate its arrival (and hope it does not come with fries on it).

I've attached their menu and a picture of the grilled cheese.

Here's a review with pictures of more menu items.

The wonky dog is actually only $6 and the wonky fries (aka poutine) are served right on top. When the menu says it's a jumbo dog, they ain't kidding. It's easily the largest hot dog I've ever seen. And by itself, the cost is only $3.

The whoopie pies are also delicious. The hazelnut-nutella flavor seems to have a lot more filling than the other two types.

post-66-062878900 1283972292_thumb.jpg

post-66-090184400 1283972680_thumb.jpg

I've attached their menu and a picture of the grilled cheese.

Here's a review with pictures of more menu items.

The wonky dog is actually only $6 and the wonky fries (aka poutine) are served right on top. When the menu says it's a jumbo dog, they ain't kidding. It's easily the largest hot dog I've ever seen. And by itself, the cost is only $3.

The whoopie pies are also delicious. The hazelnut-nutella flavor seems to have a lot more filling than the other two types.

OK, this is a food truck I might be inclined to check out. They seem to have a northerly orientation, with the poutine (looks good from the menu pic) and the whoopie pies, which are a Maine staple.

Also, regarding the poutine-topped hot dog, I've had poutine at a stand in Dania, FL, that is run by Canadians and caters to the huge Canadian tourist population, so I am confident in its authenticity, and they had several poutine variations including one with chopped hot dogs.

Interestingly, Corner Bakery now has whoopie pies too -- the mocha ones look good. But as Jerry Seinfeld might say, "What's the deal with whoopie pies?"

Interestingly, Corner Bakery now has whoopie pies too -- the mocha ones look good. But as Jerry Seinfeld might say, "What's the deal with whoopie pies?"

The new lobster truck also has whoopie pies. I haven't tried them, but a few people have told me they prefer Eat Wonky's version.

The two pictures I posted above seem to be popular downloads, so below are shots I took of the wonky dog and the wonky fries.

post-66-086847900 1284127977_thumb.jpg

post-66-085577400 1284127983_thumb.jpg

The new lobster truck also has whoopie pies. I haven't tried them, but a few people have told me they prefer Eat Wonky's version.

The two pictures I posted above seem to be popular downloads, so below are shots I took of the wonky dog and the wonky fries.

Thanks -- lobster roll plus whoopie pie also sounds like a classic Maine lunch.

One of these Maine-centric trucks needs to add some wild blueberry pie to the menu. As great as regular blueberries are, wild blueberries take it to another level. In certain parts of Maine, both bears and people walk around with blue hands.

The Eat Wonky truck was parked across the street from my building today so I gave them a try.

Verdict: Pretty good. I got the Wonky Fries (poutine) and the grilled cheese, also made with squeaky cheese (cheese curds). $11 total and my stomach is now quite full. Probably should have tried the hot dog instead of the grilled cheese. My heart is probably not doing so well at the moment. The cheese really does squeak, too.

The guys in truck asked me if I've ever had poutine before and were impressed when I told them I've had it down in Dania.

I will go back to try the hot dog and a whoopie pie, which do look good.

Dear god, they've managed to make the Wonky Dog even more insane. I had the BBQ Mashup today. Wonky Dog + Beef Barbeque on top. This is the kind of meal that makes you think that Lipitor should have gone over the counter years ago, much like the heartburn medicines. The barbeque wasn't that great; I prefer pulled pork to sliced beef, but holy cow it was a hot mess of food. It wasn't bad, but I think next time I'm just getting the poutine. Or maybe the poutine plus a dog; it looked to be a good one although it was the cause of some of my heartburn after this meal.

Really, though, the best thing here in the poutine. And it is very good.