Does Fenty Deserve Credit for Ray's?

smithhemb

Yes, but Fenty's listserv shills are continually claiming the opening of this restaurant as one of his Administration's accomplishments. Reminded me of Reagan trying to appropriate Springsteen's "Born to Run" (but , alas, not as funny).

While I would LOVE to hear our dear Mr. Landrum's take on this, since I actually have to go vote on Tuesday, I do know that he is not STUPID. Perhaps he will enlighten us all on this, after the primary. Or not.

The Mayor's office of economic development (a great group of people, by the way) did provide a grant to the landlord/developer for facade improvements and signage. This occurred after I had already signed the lease and was in no way an incentive (obviously, since it happened after the fact) and I had nothing to do with the process whatsoever.

That being said, the mayor's office was genuinely gracious and generous in offers of support throughout the entire process of opening and provided much crucial on-going (non-financial) support on a continuing basis, backing up words with actions even up to and through today--especially through the efforts of Chief Lanier and the entire MPD to be engaged in long-term investment in the community. None of this has anything to do with the election, nor will these efforts decrease at all after the election has come and gone.

More so, I have had several lengthy discussions with the office of economic development, exploring ways to provide support to start-ups in developing neighborhoods and to first-time, community-based, business owners--the results of which I hope will soon be seen.

None of the above had anything to do with electioneering, and I truly believe it was all done with the a true dedication to the best interests of the city, even the part of the city east of the river.

Both Vincent Gray and Kwame Brown have also displayed, and continue to display, great, true, and genuine visible support of our endeavor and the surrounding community development--as much as concerned and dedicated citizens of Ward 7 as politicians.

The truth is, the only people who deserve credit for Ray's: The Steaks at East River are the loyal, committed employees and other members of the community who show up everyday to make it happen.

Michael Landrum wrote: "The Mayor's office of economic development (a great group of people, by the way)"

You might have a very different perception if, say, you encountered them trying to sell the heavily-used soccer field out from under your neighborhood's overcrowded elementary school.

and

"The truth is, the only people who deserve credit for Ray's: The Steaks at East River are the loyal, committed employees and other members of the community who show up everyday to make it happen."

No disagreement there! Thanks so much for your answer.