Cedar Cafe, Moroccan- and Jordanian-Owned Lebanese Counter and Carryout in Burke

Lady Kibbee and I were looking for something quick on the way home tonight. Cedar Cafe never disappoints.

Cedar Cafe is a spare lunch (or dinner) counter on the corner of the Rolling Valley strip mall where Shopper's and Staples occupy the larger spaces. It offers a medium-sized Lebanese menu, along with a few related grocery items and packaged goods. Dinnerware is plastic, but the place is clean and nicely appointed.

The special tonight was the stuffed cabbage (also called "malfoof"), five cigar-shaped cabbage rolls stuffed with rice and meat, which came with a nice fresh iceberg lettuce salad dressed with oil and lemon juice, a yogurt-mint-cucumber sauce for the stuffed cabbage and a half pita, for $11.99. I liked it very much and would order it again.

We also ordered the mixed mezze, your choice of six of the items in the display case for $9.50. We had a kibbee football (really good), tabouli (fresh and refreshing), baba ghanouj (good), hummos (very good), lubieh (green beans in tomato sauce, and very good), tomato and avocado salad (not sure it's actually Lebanese, but it was good), artichoke salad (good), and Lebanese-Syrian potato salad (dressed with lemon and parsley, and exceptional). OK, that's eight items, so I paid a little extra.

The ingredients were fresh, the flavors were very good and the food was actually quite remarkable for a lunch counter. As I said, Cedar Cafe never disappoints.

http://cedarcafeonline.com/

We went home and ate to our fill and satisfaction for about $24. Not bad.

• Like 1

I love Cedar Cafe for what it is -- Moroccan and Jordanian ownership serving up Lebanese fare for American clientele, more or less. Today I picked up takeout of tabbouli (very good), avocado/tomato salad (excellent, but not very Middle Eastern), sauteed spinach (very good) and artichoke salad (excellent). I wanted to dive into the chicken shwarma getting ready to be spit roasted -- nicely prepared with noticeable chunks of real chicken stacked vertically along a spit, with specks of fresh herbs peeking through the various layers. Next time....

• Like 1

I love Cedar Cafe for what it is -- Moroccan and Jordanian ownership serving up Lebanese fare for American clientele, more or less. Today I picked up takeout of tabbouli (very good), avocado/tomato salad (excellent, but not very Middle Eastern), sauteed spinach (very good) and artichoke salad (excellent). I wanted to dive into the chicken shwarma getting ready to be spit roasted -- nicely prepared with noticeable chunks of real chicken stacked vertically along a spit, with specks of fresh herbs peeking through the various layers. Next time....

Kibbee, does Cedar Cafe also serve Moroccan and Jordanian items? (I realize there's a substantial overlap, but I know each country also has their own specialties). Thank you for bringing this to eveyone's attention.

• Like 2

Well, Cedar Cafe isn't the place to go for Moroccan or Jordanian food, per se. You might catch a cous-cous special that they'll try to pawn off as Moroccan on occasion, but it's mostly Americanized Middle Eastern food from the hummus, baba ghanouj, filafel and cooked kibbee-kabob-shawarma families. It's tried and true lunch counter Middle Eastern fare for the masses,

• Like 1