Westover Market Beer Garden, Outdoor Beer Fiesta on Washington Blvd. with With Six Taps, Rotating Food, WiFi, and Occasional Music

I couldn't find a topic on this neighborhood joint (and I've been spending a lot of time there) so I decided to add one. This place is a big reason for my jump back on the beer bandwagon. They always have a great beer on tap and really nothing beats drinking outside on a nice day. The place is a little crazy with children during the early hours but eases in to an older crowd as it gets later. There is actually some decent food at the deli counter depending on the day, and if you want beer to go Westover simply has one of the greatest selections in the area, including kegs.

are you aware that they are having issues w/ the county and licensing? there is a "Save the Westover beer garden" facebook page, but it seems like things are pretty complicated now as far as live music (it was not loud, not late, and usually homegrown talent).I also heard that they have to limit the number of people allowed at one time until this gets resolved. what were your observations?

As far as the moms listserves have voiced, they are all for the beer garden being saved. Many families congregate there, enjoying the atmosphere and taking advantage of the courtyard to allow kids to run around.

Arlnow.com has a more extensive scoop on this.

It's probably true they have to limit the number people, but that is due to zoning issues. There is an occupancy capacity based on the number of bathrooms and size of space, which applies to all places serving food, I believe.

During the times I have visited, the beer garden gives a very community-like atmosphere and very relaxed too, with people hanging out, listening to music, eating and talking. Very comforting for me, but that is only 1 observation.

According to this afternoon's Facebook page (Save the Westover Beer Garden), there was a meeting today btwn the owner and the county, and their license was rescinded for even the 9 person occupancy! they have to comply or 30 days, or face fines. It is truly a shame that a small business that is trying to breathe life into a community asset, is having such a difficult time with the county. this is not the Arlington way!

Can someone tell me what this is, other than a grocery story gone awry? For years, they had shelves-full of dozens, perhaps hundreds of beers, all waiting for expiration-date, and now it sees like there's a lot more, especially considering the added quantity.

I'd love to go, but in the past, my experiences have been (like in 7-11) walking up to the cooler, finding a decent beer, and checking the expiration date (sometimes expired). Then, carrying it up to the register, and purchasing it to take home. So what's the great thing about this?

Can someone tell me what this is, other than a grocery story gone awry? For years, they had shelves-full of dozens, perhaps hundreds of beers, all waiting for expiration-date, and now it sees like there's a lot more, especially considering the added quantity.

I'd love to go, but in the past, my experiences have been (like in 7-11) walking up to the cooler, finding a decent beer, and checking the expiration date (sometimes expired). Then, carrying it up to the register, and purchasing it to take home. So what's the great thing about this?

Ooops.

I don't know about past iterations because I've only been in the last few months..... It seems like a great neighborhood haunt. As far as the "Wall of Beer" I think there are a lot of great beers on the wall that you can't find just anywhere, it's nice to be able to bring home a beer you have only seen on tap somewhere or to try something new. They also have a healthy supply of kegs if you want them. As for the beer garden itself, it's an awesome place to have a good beer outside on a nice day in a casual setting. They always have something good on tap, which changes daily. (And of course I think the butcher is great as well for obvious reasons.) So is it a grocery store gone awry? Yeah, but it's kind of great in a strange way.

FWIW, the last time I went last week it WAS still open. I know there is a lot of chatter on the "save the westover beer garden" facebook page though. Seems like there is a good amount of community support.

They have a good beer selection that's only occasionally wacky-priced. My brother has found it much easier to get kegs from there than Total Wine, it appears

They have a damn good butcher.

And the patio was an incredibly fun and friendly place to watch football the other weekend.

I enjoy supporting them; I don't think they are perfect, but they are enthusiastic and friendly, and that helps with a lot.

If anyone cares, Westover Beer Garden v. 2.0 will be named Sehkraft Beer Garden and Haus (sehkraft means "vision," as in eyesight -- not sure that's what they meant). This was announced in July, but it's topical because the brewpub has a hearing tonight about its music permit. The County Manager is recommending that the permit be issued, but that their request that they be allowed to keep their doors open during performances be denied. Here's a link to the permit application.

On a related note, the space still appears to be empty, so I doubt the planned March opening will happen.

[ETA: Updated with additional info.]

Had an emergency stop at Westover yesterday, which was a Monday. The beer garden was hopping. The store, the actual store, has more beer than ever. For example, the case that used to hold cheese, now holds more beer. Amazing. Wine prices are outrageous. I think it's like an entire 1/3rd beer now.