Santiago, Chile

lekkerwijn

I've been to Santiago twice on short trips and ended up eating at the same places (by accident) both times. One is a steak place called Eladio's ( 3 locations and I don't know which one we went to) and one is a seafood restaurant in the market called Donde Augusto. Both very good and recommended by my Chilean family members. If the Hyatt still has a Thai restaurant, that's good too. The central market is fun with a lot of places to get fresh seafood.

Anything with avocado on it is good, and I was especially fond of the Churrasco sandwich- thin sliced steak, cheese, avocado and mayo.

I will be on a 10 day business trip in Santiago, Chile at the end of the month. The thought of meals in a Crowne Plaza hotel is totally unappealing. Any suggestions for places to eat around the city? All price points appreciated, safe neighborhoods a must.

I will be on a 10 day business trip in Santiago, Chile at the end of the month. The thought of meals in a Crowne Plaza hotel is totally unappealing. Any suggestions for places to eat around the city? All price points appreciated, safe neighborhoods a must.

There isn't much problem with safety in Santiago. With reasonable precautions you pretty much have the run of the city.

That said, unless things have changed since my last visit, which admittedly has been a few years, the Crowne Plaza isn't in the most interesting area (it's in Providencia, which is aged). The development has been to the further to the east, toward the mountains, in Las Condes, Lo Barnachea, and Vitacura; that's the really new area where things have been happening, and where the monied folks are who support good restaurants. The metro has been extended out that way which should help, but it's a big area. Taxis are plentiful and cheap however.

You should certainly spend one or two evenings exploring Bellavista on foot. It's the Bohemian area, and it's not too far from your hotel, just across the river. Plenty of restaurants.

I would agree that Santiago is a very safe city. I would also second the recommendation to head to the fish market - try the picoroco (a large barnacle) it is unique! and also try the national dish of Congrio (conger Eel) from one of the market restaurants (such as Donde Augusto).

I was also very impressed with the food at the hotel we stayed in Restaurant Bristol in the Hotel San Francisco which was a "fine dining" twist on Chilean cuisine. These are both downtown - we also explored Bellavista as well as heading out to Las Condes area which is the more modern / affluent area with many more options. Also good is Borde Rio which is a modern complex by the river which - although it kind of looks like a strip mall at first - has some good restaurants (I think Zanzibar was the one we tried)

31 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Going skiing in Chile next weekend, and have a day on each end in Santiago. Any suggestions? Staying in Bellavista. Was told Galindo was pretty good. Fish market/Mercado central sounds lovely. 

Man, I am envying your vacation plans this year.  Make a good trip report, this is on Hubby and I's list.

34 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

We are a "lifestyle" oriented practice, slightly over-staff the practice, thereby sacrificing income for sanity ... So, a lot of vacation, which means a lot of trips! Tuscany and likely China to close out 2016 :)

Love it. That's one of the reasons I went the government route and not the big firm route after law school.

To get back on topic, I've sadly never been to Chile so don't have any recommendations for you. :-)