Palena Cafe, the old "Front Room" expands in Cleveland Park with Two Dining Rooms and Bars, and a Separate Kitchen - Closed

They opened the night before Thanksgiving to a packed house. The staff still seems a little shell shocked from Wednesday but they reported that Friday and last night were much better. At 7:00 it was packed.

It should be noted that I am an unabashed fan of Palena so I do have a bit of a bias. But on to the details....

Going to the new space tonight was like going home to the house you grew up in after your parents have remodeled. It's warm and familiar, and the people are the same, but nothing is where you remember it.

Those who worked at the old Palena are clearly enjoying their new home. It's fun watching them walk around in this mix between "Holly Shit, it finally happened" excitement and a sort of fog of "we are still Palena but we can't always find the champagne glasses because they are in a new place." The service isn't perfect and kitchen isn't yet up to speed and they know it. But they are in better shape than I've seen at other restaurants who are three days in. And the old timers on the staff are having a great time sharing their new digs.

The menu is still a Chef Ruta'esque menu but there are signs that Jonathan Copeland is running the kitchen. Deviled eggs, duck rillets and one other item start the menu. The deviled eggs are a perfect example how good basic American food can taste when made with farm fresh ingredients. The main menu has a number of choices which are familiar: the burger, roasted chicken, gnocci and Caesar salad. The fries are there too, but it's only the shoestring, not the lemon or anything else you would find in the cafe (which is still operating in its regular manner). New additions include a pate, an antipasti which includes buratta, a veal dish and a steak. Finally, there are about half a dozen vegetable sides which I think are all $7. Seasonal veggies are of course the highlight. I had cauliflower ragu with a small, round pasta. It's warm and comforting with Chef's classic tomato ragu with black olives.. The pasta to cauliflower ratio was higher on the pasta side than I would like though since it's a vegetable side dish. For a main I had the gnocci with meat ragu. The soft pillows of gnocci are the same ones found in the other two dinning rooms.

The final big new item is that there is a head to tail beef dinner which will be served family style. There is a minimum of 6 people and you have to give at least 24 hours notice but it only costs $50. I don't have any other details but already have plans to go.

---

Click here to read Palena Cafe posts written before Thanksgiving, 2010 (interspersed with the main dining room thread since it previously offered both menus).

It should be noted that I am an unabashed fan of Palena so I do have a bit of a bias.

And, had you not randomly met some guy sitting next to you at the bar many years ago, this website might not exist.

Edited by DonRocks

Thanks for the report. I take it you ate in the cafe part -- in the new space, yes? Or are there thre partitions now? The old Cafe, the new Cafe and the old back room? Is chef Ruta still cheffing at least one of those rooms (gosh I hope so)?

There are now three separate entities for Palena: the new space (don't know what they are calling it), the old cafe, and the backroom. The concept of the two old spaces haven't changed. The review above is for the new space. The entrance is the same as the old Magruder's entrance, facing the parking lot. There is a doorway where the bread station used to be in the main restaurant to go in between the two spaces. The new space is a separate, less formal dining space than the original cafe and backroom. Coming in the next few weeks will be the market, which will be in the front of the new cafe. Construction is still in progress there.

From what I understand, Chef is still in the old kitchen but was a definite presence last night in the new space. I'm not positive how the kitchens will work so I don't want to post anything that is wrong.

They opened the night before Thanksgiving to a packed house. The staff still seems a little shell shocked from Wednesday but they reported that Friday and last night were much better. At 7:00 it was packed.

Finally, after all these years, Palena Cafe gets its very own thread: They are wisely (*) not offering the dining room menu in either of the cafe areas anymore. There are two separate kitchens upstairs, and there is currently no overlap (or very little overlap) between them; the old downstairs kitchen will be for bread, pastry, etc.

If you've never actually seen Frank Ruta, now's your chance! He looks fit and lean, and I've never seen him as stoked (*) as he was last night.

Do not hesitate to order one of the least expensive bottles of wine on the list when dining here. The 2009 Baudry-Dutour Chinon Rosé ($35) may not seem intuitive, but the deeper you plumb this menu, i.e., if you want to try vegetables, seafood, pasta, and meat during the same meal, this is the wine that will take you "from head to tail." It's a Chinon (from the Loire Valley), thus made with 100% Cabernet Franc, the lighter-colored wine bled off the top of the vats in order to make the rosé (and to give their "regular" red Chinon more pigment). It's dry, weighs in at a healthy (but not excessive) 12.7% alcohol, and has all the components you need for the entire meal. Get this wine because it works with nearly everything.

A controversy has apparently ensued over Palena charging $3 for a basket of bread and grissini, whereas before it was complimentary. Keep charging it, I say, and maintain the integrity of product. Three types of house-filtered water (still, sparkling, room temperature) are free.

And you'll still get some of that bread if you order the right snacks. Smoky Tuna Rillettes ($5) comes as a spread, and brings back haunting memories of Underwood Deviled Ham (in a good way)! Deviled Eggs ($3) are three halves, spiced, peppered, and oiled just right, and remind me that the Ruta kitchen has become bolder in recent years with its subtle use of non-traditional spices.

One thing about me is that I'm a notoriously slow eater, and while noshing on these snacks, the Chinon somehow disappeared. So from the wood-fired grill, next in line was an absolute no-brainer: Octopus ($14), with chick pea purée, marjoram, and lemon. Wood-fired grill items come with a choice of one side (normally $7), and so I asked the inexplicably underrated Kelli Walbourn to recommend both a carafe of white wine (a 2009 Argiolas Nuragus di Cagliarai "S'elegas" from Sardinia ($12)), and our server Kelly (who recently came from Addie's) to ask the kitchen to choose an appropriate side (Roasted Broccoli with Pecorino Sardo). Want your octopus fork-tender? Then stay away from here and go to Cuisine Solutions. This is exactly what a great octopus tentacle should be: a knife-and-fork cut, with great chew and proper char. There were little "white things" in the broccoli dish that were clearly not the shavings of Pecorino, and so Kelli volunteered to go on a fact-finding mission to the kitchen - not surprisingly, they were the shaved innards of the broccoli stalks themselves. This has Frank Ruta all over it - head to tail, even with broccoli. And it was brilliant.

Remember the name Agnes Chin. She's Palena's new Pastry Chef, and the desserts here ($9) are as good as they've ever been. Autumn Sundae with pumpkin pie sorbet, gingerbread ice cream, pumpkin bread croutons, and brown sugar streusel; Almond Quince Cake with poached quince and almond milk ice cream; and Brown Butter Apple Tart with Earl Grey ice cream and bergamot caramel were all tremendous for their complexity, seasonality, and just plain old primitive hedonism. If I can make one small nitpick, it would be that there was a certain "sameness" to all three (there were six desserts on the menu) - these three movements were all marked Allegro con Gusto. And yet, there's not a single one I would have given up.

In what has largely been a multi-year decline in the DC dining scene (yeah, I said it), this is one opening that has me firing on all cylinders. Not only because we'll all have a better chance of getting a seat at Palena Cafe! But ...

(*) ... because this is only going to make the back dining room (now featuring 3 courses + dessert, $69; and 5 courses + dessert, $82) better, the key, freeing it from the shackles of cheeseburgers and roast chicken: We now have two supercomputers running in parallel, each performing its own function.

Cheers,

Rocks

We live in the area and moved here partly because of Palena--no joke. This was because of the amazing food and Chef Ruta's talent (of course) but also because we were floored by how a place that good could also be so laid back with allowing ordering from any menu in either part of the previous space (cafe or back formal dining room). We'd often dine in the Cafe and order things from the full menu. So, a few weeks ago, just before the new space opened, while dining in the Cafe, we saw the new, expanded Cafe menu and asked about it. We learned then that the restaurant menu would no longer be available in the Cafe and that it had to do with "rearranging the menus for better kitchen operations" with the new space opening imminently. Our initial reaction was one of real surprise and deep disappointment.

But, DR makes a great point which is the one our server at the Cafe in early November was trying to make; but less clearly. I'd love to think that the kitchens and strong processes could figure out a way to still allow any customer to order anything but I also appreciate the logistical challenges with that with now more than double the space to cover.

At the end of the day, we'll still frequent Palena so long as it does what it has always done: put fantastic, unpretentious food on the table at unpretentious prices. And, while we haven't yet tried the new space (sometime in the coming week to be sure), it sounds as if it is holding true to form.

Change is always hard but often good. I have to agree with DR's view on this and the $3 bread charge: Palena should do whatever it needs to do to ensure integrity of the food. Chef Ruta has earned that kind of loyalty many times over for a long time IMHO. Looking forward to trying the new space and some of those devliled eggs, wines and brocolli "innards"!

I have probably 30-50 or so back dining room experiences while maybe only 10 Cafe experiences, so take this in to consideration. While I also enjoyed the ability to order from both menus when dining up front, I never, ever, not for a single minute missed being able to order from the front cafe while dining in the back (could you even do that? I have no idea). Will current cafe regulars miss this? Yes. Will I miss it? No. I am embracing the fact that I now have three different experiences possible in the same place, though perhaps not always on the same night (I guess it is possible, and that might be something I try to do someday).

I won't poo-poo the idea, but I can see how others might be disappointed. I choose to look forward to how things are and qill be and to continue experiencing all that is Palena.

What I now really want to know is when the hell the market opens. I need to be the guy to place the first order. Sorry to say y'all will have to wait until the next day as I wil clean them out of EVERYTHING.

Oh and I plan to check things out for myself a week from today. I can't believe I haven't yet been! GAH!

I'm confused about the new configuration. Is the new space going to have the same menu as the Cafe, or will it have a separate menu? Meaning, separate from both the Cafe and the Dining Room.

I think someone mentioned that there are really three menus. There is supposedly a little bit of overlap between old cafe and new cafe. Not sure myself but i think that is right.

Motivated by just posting on this thread a few hours ago, we went tonight. My four observations with report:

1. Separation of Cafe and Dining Room menus is a-ok. DR and Pool Boy are totally in the right on the quasi-controversial issue about separation of dining room from cafe menus. Kelli confirmed for us tonight what has already been written here. It was done to ensure focus and to maintain the quality of everything that comes out of the kitchen. Based on what we experienced tonight, this was the right decision--it's working in the biggest of ways.

2. How it works is why it works. My biggest concern, by far, with all of this, is that the quality would slip. After all, I'm vested. We moved to the area years ago in part because of Palena. We've been evangelists for it (more offline than on) for years, thinking Chef Ruta as good as any and better than most for the region. Quality hasn't slipped. If anything, it's gotten even better due to the focus. The new space is simply an extension of the Cafe. Same menu. Just more tables in new space. The open kitchen in the new space has two sections. The one visible is for the cafe. The one not visible (behind the other) cooks only for the dining room. Largely different chefs/cooks except, of course, for Chef Ruta, who was out on the Cafe side tonight. We made it a point to try things we hadn't had before to really test it. It'd be a crime to cram that into this point so...

3. Wow, everything is really pretty darn outstanding. Here's what we had:

• deviled eggs--to me, this simple $3 dish is a great proxy for everything Chef does. they're sophisticated without being pretentious. they're absolutely delicious. they're interesting and different from any deviled eggs I've had before. they might even be healthy, using a whole grain mustard, anchovy, chive, olive oil, and some seasoning to bind the yolk rather than mayonnaise. and, wow, the attention to detail. you'll notice right away that the eggs look visually different from most deviled eggs and that's because the whites have been carefully cut, leveled on bottom so they stand and shortened ever so slightly from a full half size.
  • short ribs--really outstanding. these were slightly seasoned and sauced in the way any enhancements should be--to complement and enhance great ingredients and not overwhelm. the ribs were perfectly tender in fall-from-bone style and incredibly tasty.
  • flat iron steak--probably the one thing, aside from the wine, that wouldn't compete with best-ever-had but, nevertheless, really good. while clearly a grass-fed flat iron, from a local farm the server of course knew, it was as much like a filet as any flat iron I've seen with a very smooth consistency and butter knife tenderness. great flavor and, of course, fired perfectly as requested.
  • rose recommended by DR--DR was right, this does go with anything including the eggs and the heavier beef dishes we had. Light and nice flavor.
  • brown butter apple tart w/ caramel ice cream--wow. this is a huge new milestone for Palena beyond the dish itself IMHO. If asked to identify any weakness at all with the restaurant over the past several years, I'd have cited desserts ever since Ann Amernick left. they were often very good but could be a bit inconsistent. As has already been written here, Agnes Chin is the real deal. the tart, with perfectly crispy, light yet rich pastry surrounding carefully chosen, thinly sliced, and carmelized apples is truly memorable. Paired with some bergamot caramel ice cream, this was probably the best dessert I've had at Palena in at least five years.
  • milk almond cake with quince--also excellent.

4. Future Plans sound wonderful. We've always felt kind of brilliant for choosing to live near Palena but that feeling was never as strong as it is now. The new space has the casual, non pretentious feel that always characterized the restaurant. But, new things coming include: lunch! Starting in the next couple of weeks, Palena will begin serving lunch. Have always wished they'd do this and can't wait for it to start. And, brunch! I'm betting the Palena brunch (also hopefully to start before yearend) will fast become the city's best. Finally, the market seems on track to open within a few weeks too.

Summing up, we couldn't have been more excited about what has been done...and what will be done...than what we experienced tonight. They have many new staff as would be expected given the more than doubling in size. And, the few new ones we met were every bit as fantastic as some of the all stars we missed. there's a new maitre d named Sean who joined a few weeks ago from Komi, as just one example.

The new Palena is a fantastic thing for Cleveland Park, DC and the region. May it be incredibly successful while still not crazed enough to prevent me getting a table with short/no wait at least on weeknights.

I checked out the new space on Monday and I will agree that the deviled eggs are terrific.

I thought the gnocchi was the least successful I've had there. It was gummy and the sauce was not up to snuff. The turnip-potato gratin was dry but I chalked that up to inexperience with the new ovens.

The new pastry chef is terrific.

And I have to go back because there will be hell to pay in my house if BLPreschooler doesn't get to try Palena's pizza soon. He has been tracking the construction as only a 3 year old can every time we are in the area. (Seriously, it has rivaled the ICC construction for him.)

But I suspect that will be it for a while. I appreciate that Chef Ruta has his reasons for dividing the menus and the dining experiences.

However, I simply don't have the money or time to dine in the back room. Ever. If I bring the 3 year old in to the back room, the critique here and on Tom's chat would be rightly indignant. (And rightly so. I think he's a charming dinner companion but he isn't going to sit through that type of meal especially without a burger or a fry plate to bribe him with.) I will say that my first dining experience at Palena was in the backroom and neither or nor Mr. BLB has ever had any interest or desire to go back and eat there again. The food was good but the experience didn't wow us.

But I do have the time and the money to stop in on a semi-regular basis (less now that I don't live in the hood or have weekly meetings around the corner) and have a course here and there from the back room menu plus something from the cafe menu. I can be in and out in an hour with the little guy in tow and have a civilized meal that satisfies all of our needs.

But that can needs to be past tense.

Because I can't do that anymore.

Is it crazy that I'm in tears over this change?

Sigh....

And, brunch! I'm betting the Palena brunch (also hopefully to start before yearend) will fast become the city's best. Finally, the market seems on track to open within a few weeks too.

A number of years ago they tried brunch for a while. It was divine. They had a fontina and artichoke panini that I still dream about. And great bloody mary's. Great times were had there, especially with my old benefactor.

Sigh....

No, it's not crazy. I'm very excited about the new cafe, but one of the things I loved about the old cafe was that it gave those of us who couldn't afford the back room to try out a dish or two. It was also the perfect choice when one of you wanted fancy food and the other just wanted a chicken or burger. I'm sad that won't be an option any more.

What I really want to know, and I know I'm not the only one who has thought about this, is which menu will host the magic soup in August?

I thought the gnocchi was the least successful I've had there. It was gummy and the sauce was not up to snuff. The turnip-potato gratin was dry but I chalked that up to inexperience with the new ovens.

Sigh....

Hmmm. The gnocchi critique is a tad concerning as that's one of several things I've always been certain is the best to be had for hundreds of miles (or further). Didn't have that tonight, as tempted as I always am, in order to try new things. Hopefully just an unusual aberration.

Interesting you mention the turnip-potato gratin. I'd meant to comment on that in my full report post. I had it with the flat iron and was a bit torn. First off, the "gratin" is a taleggio; one of the world's (or at least Italy's) great cheeses that's widely available in my view. The heat and slight dryness (I actually quite liked it) is probably as much due to it being served in cast iron as due to new ovens. Love cast iron; nothing else is like it for heat retention and crisping. I wish it was used more in more kitchens. Maybe slightly less time in the oven since it cooks for awhile more once out. Maybe a slightly larger portion or smaller iron container to better retain moisture. Not sure.

Crazy about the change? No but you and others should really come around on this; especially for those who haven't yet tried it since the expansion opened a couple of weeks ago. I'm with everyone who's commiserating about the rule about separation of menus but the reason for it does really make sense and is very much evident in the new cafe lineup. It was a tradeoff with keeping the old, more flexible system versus putting out even better food and more choices to more tables. The latter choice has to be the right one. I won't go on about this more--already have in a previous longer post.

Well, fuck. There goes my favorite restaurant.

Ditto,

I'm the dining solo person who ordered from the back room or "tasting menu" (with the exception of trying the burger and the chicken once each). So what am I supposed to do now? No consomme, which was my 1st course by default "own personal religion in a bowl" (love that quote). I don't want to sit in the back room solo, too formal. Why take up the space when there's a seat at the bar?

The cafe is fine if that's what you want, but it's not what I want. I want to dine and I want to dine while not feeling uncomfortable or formal.

Sorry Don, but I don't see how being able to order from the "tasting menu" from the "old" bar sets the kitchen back, there are two "lines" in the kitchen so the cafe and tasting plates are being prepared in separate parts of the kitchen.

Double fuck!

....I'm very excited about the new cafe, but one of the things I loved about the old cafe was that it gave those of us who couldn't afford the back room to try out a dish or two. It was also the perfect choice when one of you wanted fancy food and the other just wanted a chicken or burger. I'm sad that won't be an option any more.

I don't think the back room is all that more expensive than the cafe from my own experiences. My tab in the front often rivaled my back dining room tabs because we ordered quite a bit (could never restrain myself). That said, I suspect that the back and front menus will allow for more options of either experience, making each perhaps a bit more focused, more unique, and more exciting. I won't try to convince folks who are truly disappointed by this change, but it really makes sense to ma and will not affect my experiences there whatsoever. I'm ready to embrace what each menu has to offer.

Oh, I want the market to open. Now.

Ditto,

I'm the dining solo person who ordered from the back room or "tasting menu" (with the exception of trying the burger and the chicken once each). So what am I supposed to do now? No consomme, which was my 1st course by default "own personal religion in a bowl" (love that quote). I don't want to sit in the back room solo, too formal. Why take up the space when there's a seat at the bar?

The cafe is fine if that's what you want, but it's not what I want. I want to dine and I want to dine while not feeling uncomfortable or formal.

Sorry Don, but I don't see how being able to order from the "tasting menu" from the "old" bar sets the kitchen back, there are two "lines" in the kitchen so the cafe and tasting plates are being prepared in separate parts of the kitchen.

Double fuck!

Understood, but I really never, ever, neverever, evernever feel like the back room is formal. I do hear you on the solo dining experience though, and it'd be great if the bar diners were allowed to pick the back menu (it'd probably have to be either or though).

Is the bar still in the same spot or did it shift to the new space in the remodel?

Because the Cafe area is now a LOT bigger than it was before. Apparently in the past it didn't put the "formal" kitchen line out to be able to serve a few seats from the "formal" menu, but now there are too many seats in the Cafe to continue to do that.

In all my years of dining out I have never known a restaurant to improve, or even maintain the same quality, after expanding or branching. Never. I truly wish Ruta and his staff all the success in the world, because they deserve it, and it won't hurt the dining public, either. But I'm too cynical to believe that Palena will ever be as good as it once was.

As others have written, the charm was in being able to walk into a pleasant, casual space and get some of the best cooking in the city. And I mean cooking, because Ruta produces dishes that are tasty and satisfying (and creative and immaculate), while other well-regarded restaurants turn out food that is more intellectually interesting than simply enjoyable.

Don't flame me for writing that. Clearly it's an opinion and statement of personal preference, not an objective fact.

Enjoy his food in the back room? It's just not the same. It may not be formal, but I found it to be cold and uninviting, which is why I haven't eaten there in years. Not to mention...

..we will be able to share dishes in the back room? I hope so, but I doubt it. MrP and I often share dishes in order to control our weight, which lets us get to eat what we want without getting fat again. That's easy to do in informal spaces, and damn near impossible to do when there's a fixed-price menu or tasting menu. And even if we did each order three courses in Palena's cafe, the portions were reasonably sized enough that we wouldn't suffer for the indulgence (though it always warranted a day or two of semi-dieting after). Are they the same size in the back room? I sure hope so. That will help. I also hope I misunderstood: can dishes be ordered a la carte there?

I'll admit, I come across as not liking change. But really, it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Palena was as close to perfect (for me) as a restaurant has ever been. How can these changes improve on (my perception of) perfection?

I'll keep going, of course, and I hope in a few weeks to be able to post I WAS WRONG, and you can then serve me crow, and I'll eat it (especially if it's topping a plate of Ruta's gnocchi) with a smile.

We'll see.

Motivated by just posting on this thread a few hours ago, we went tonight. My four observations with report:

I too was motivated by Dons post yesterday and decided to head over to Palena Cafe to check out the new space.

I had visited a few weeks ago and was eager to go back during the week when there would be less of a wait. At first, I was hesitant to review/write anything about Palena since their Bar Manager/Mixologist is now blogging on EatMore DrinkMore, but everything was truly fantastic, so i figured why not give credit where credit is due.

We started off with some amazing cocktails. The Manhattan was truly exceptional. I am not sure I am going to be able to order a Manhattan anywhere else.

The autumn sparkler tastes like a Thanksgiving in a glass. Think of pumpkin pie prosecco. It is the perfect fall seasonal cocktail.

On Don's recommendation we got the bread basket. My only complaint is that it was enough bread to feed an army (only two of us dining) and I would feel weird about asking to bring the leftover breadbasket home. It is a shame to let bread that good go to waste. The bread was fantastic and certainly worth $3.

Deviled Eggs - WOW. Who knew deviled eggs could be so good?

We ordered the Chicken and the Burger. Both have well documented histories of deliciousness, so I don't think I need to elaborate.

I am pretty sure this has never happened to me the past, I have never ordered seconds of a dish at restaurant until tonight. After one bite of the brussel sprouts, I decided we would definitely need another portion and went ahead and ordered more.

Sadly we did not leave room for dessert, we'll have to go back.

Went to Palena for dinner tonight and ate in the new space. I love sitting in the back and being able to see all the goings-on in the kitchen. And the room smells amazing.

Split the deviled eggs with my dining companion. I had a glass of the rosé and the chicken, he had a Belgian beer and the burger. We both thought they were even better than the last time we'd had them (a month or so ago). Buttermilk panna cotta with grapefruit curd for dessert, which was so good we were nearly speechless.

Drove home smiling all the way.

Looking forward to eating from the other menu in a week or two. I love the staff, and have the utmost respect for Frank and the business he's built. I'll continue to support the restaurant no matter what the configuration because the food is fucking good, the service is outstanding, the prices are affordable, and everyone is treated with respect.

Because the Cafe area is now a LOT bigger than it was before. Apparently in the past it didn't put the "formal" kitchen line out to be able to serve a few seats from the "formal" menu, but now there are too many seats in the Cafe to continue to do that.

I will repeat....there are two separate lines in the new kitchen one for the LOT bigger cafe and one for the SAME size back room. Not trying to pick a fight here but I'm being denied "MY" Palena experience and that makes me crazy.

I will repeat....there are two separate lines in the new kitchen one for the LOT bigger cafe and one for the SAME size back room. Not trying to pick a fight here but I'm being denied "MY" Palena experience and that makes me crazy.

I would think that Chef Ruta gets to define what the Palena experience is. And it seems that his definition of the Palena experience is one menu for the cafe, served by a large line in the kitchen, and one menu for the back room, with food prepared by a line not big enough to also serve the cafe.

Just saw this on Palena' facebook page.

We've grown! We have added more Cafe

seating, another bar, and the Cafe menu now features items from our wood burning oven

and grill as well as four draft beers. Starting December 7th the Cafe

will be open for lunch from 11:30-2 Tuesday through Saturday.

If Saturday night is any indication this place has surely not started with small crowds. I really enjoyed reading the new menu and never once thought about the back room dishes after seeing it. I will certainly need more trips to explore it in depth and I wonder how often it will change. We enjoyed the squash soup, country pate, grilled beef heart, and gnocchi.

The desserts are exceptional! The Autumn sundae is out of this world.

I love the staff, and have the utmost respect for Frank and the business he's built. I'll continue to support the restaurant no matter what the configuration because the food is fucking good, the service is outstanding, the prices are affordable, and everyone is treated with respect.

'nuff said.

(italics mine)

Went with friends yesterday evening specifically to see the new space, sit in the new space and try the new Cafe menu. Here's a brief review--

Love the new space. Seats are comfortable (only tiny nit is the 'seat' part of the banquets is some kind of vinyl(?) and can get pretty warm over a long meal). View of kitchen is cool (and I saw live, in the flesh, Chef Ruta -- I can now die happy). Can't wait for the market to open. Also can't wait to see the new signage. If you all didn't know, you now enter on the parking lot side of the combined space.

Drinks list seems, at a glance, abbreviated. Could just be that way for the Cafe, not sure and didn't ask. Love that they do carafes now. But generally, I BYOW my own wine from the cellar and pay corkage. ;-)

Menu is reasonably short, but expanded from what it once was. Snacks, Salads/Soups/Starters, Pastas, 'From the Wood Fired Oven', and 'From the Wood Fired Grill'. While I think those folks hooked on the ability to order from both menus will still be disappointed, I think there is enough new stuff to make them at least kind of sort of happy.

Staff is great as always. Kelly (is it Kelly or Kelli, I am not sure) greeted us warmly yet again and our server (dang it I can't remember her name) was wonderful. The rest of the staff friendly, helpful and accommodating.

Now, the food.

Cod cakes (fried little cod balls) with a pepper sauce. These were good, particularly the sauce, but this was my least favorite of the evening.

Smoky tuna rillette -- great charred bread to go with really, really good smoky tuna rillette and tiny cornichons. Absolutely delicious. Only nit would be that there could have been one or two more slices of the charred bread.

Sardines en saor -- So good. I love sardines and this prep was divine. And so simple.

Devilled Eggs -- cut vertically, so yolk was centered. And the spices were quite interested. Really good egg, probably only 'medium' and not large or extra large. Really, really excellent.

Crostini of cannelini beans, escarole and anchovy -- my favorite 'snack'. Just perfect. Order this.

Frito Misto - this is the updated version of the fry plate from before with broccoli, onion, lemon, oysters, rockfish and panisse (what the hell is it? I have no idea -- just creamy delicious good)

Line caught swordfish with lemon, olive and bay -- Wow. My wife had this and I tasted it and it made me stop in my tracks. Fish prepared perfectly is usually unexpected. Not at Palena, they always get it soooo right, but it still takes my breath away.

Octopus with chick pea puree, marjoram and lemon -- I am a total sucker for octopus (ar-ar). I have to order it when it is on the menu. Rocks nailed this. Perfectly to the tooth and nice char, and never to the point of obviousness. So freaking good. What I would probably kill for is to see them do a *smoked* octopus of some sort at some point. This had smoke in it based on their prep, but I crave utter smokiness and I can only imagine how awesome a smoked octopus would be from Chef Ruta and team.

Roasted brussels spouts with pancetta and walnuts -- So simple, so unassuming, so devastatingly good.

Potato with rutabaga and Tallegio all in gratin form -- I had a miserable experience with rutabaga in my distant youth that I have veered away from any mention of it to this point in my life. I took the plunge and I am so happy I did. Potatoey, cheesey good with an earthiness that snuck up on you. I am hooked.

Tried the apple tart with bergemot ice cream -- OK, a new notch up in the Palena experience. Recommended! I also got a tastes of the 'sundae' that my wife had with quenelles of chocolate and eggnog ice cream and some buttery crumbles.

I'll be back to try more and more. And they're open for lunch now!

----------------------------------

Now, one minor nit, and I am trying not to panic, but it looks like the 'back room' menu has changed as explained upthread...3 Courses plus dessert (also an optional cheese supplemental course), OR you get a 5 courses plus dessert from a set menu (also with an extra cheese course supplement if you desire). Choices are good! Except, in the past, I have been the 4-courses from any 'section' plus dessert kind of guy with endless possibilities for combinations. My wife and I generally try to sample as much of the menu as possible, and now it seems like there will be fewer options for this. I will have to ask and see if you can pick any of the courses on the 5-course menu to use in the 3 course section (or vice versa) next time I am there. Not gonna complain at all, it is just new to me and I need time to digest!

The chicken is still the chicken. Almost. They need to work on crisping the skin, there wasn't as much as there used to be. I like the skin. A lot.

But if you can forget about the skin it's still the same Palena chicken.

If you miss the old fry plate get the frito misto. There's fried lemon and fried onions and other new good things like fried broccoli and real fish sticks in it now.

They still make a damn good sazerac.

Steak was good but you can get a good steak anywhere.

Pasta with two cheeks is damn good.

Oh, and the burratta. Don't skip the antipasti.

It's still not the old cafe, but it's getting there. Having the right people around helps.

Word of warning-I've now sat along the back wall 2 or 3 tables from the kitchen twice. It's a great view of the kitchen but you will feel the heat of the oven.

I love that Palena does lunch service now. Yesterday I had the Minnestrone and a Cheeseburger. The minnestrone was more like a greens and beans soup (with black eyed peas- great touch). Cheeseburger as delish as ever. It makes me wish I didn't work downtown. But while I am staycationing for the next two weeks I am going back for lunch again- the Chestnut Soup is calling my name.

But while I am staycationing for the next two weeks I am going back for lunch again- the Chestnut Soup is calling my name.

Chestnut soup only available at lunch (for now). I've had it twice. Today it was merely excellent; last week -- the best soup I've had this year.

I went solo for lunch last week for the first time. I had a salad that was perfectly dressed (that included anchovy) and fried sardines. Got the bread, which was wonderful, mainly to have available to sop up the broth of the Brodetto. The calamaretti in the broth, in particular, were extraordinary -- not undercooked, not overcooked, just perfection. I could have eaten an entire pot of this.

What I want to try is the beef feast. I can only imagine.

Got the bread, which was wonderful, mainly to have available to sop up the broth of the Brodetto.

Yes, it is a mistake to decline ordering the bread basket just because they're charging $3. Every table should have one. Agnes Chin (who I assume is baking the breads) might actually give Ann Amernick a run for her money!

there's a 'the sky is falling!!!' and 'change. . . we fear change' vibe to a lot of the posts here.

an initial negative reaction [especially one without actual personal experience] doen't make any sense to me. ditto for a positive one. as already explained, it takes time for a new space to really find its stride and get all the systems and kinks worked out.

then again, i'm the one responding to month-old posts. and the current conversation is way more grounded in actual experience rather than reactionary conjecture.

so, basically, yeah.

Had a very nice lunch yesterday in the new Cafe. I really like the space, nice to sit near the kitchen and watch the chefs' work their magic. The service was good, but still a bit rough around the edges - our waitress told us that all of the wait staff in the new Cafe is new to Palena, so they are still learning - very friendly and trying their best. Started with the tuna salad which was is a very refined, composed salad consisting of a good size chunk of soft-cooked tuna with a bit of greens, radish, and some really good white beans on the bottom. Overall a nice dish, but I'll likely try something else next time. My friend had the Caesar salad, which I tried and was very good and rather large. It is a romaine heart with some pieces of hardboiled eggs and lots of lemony caesar dressing with capers. My friend said there was also some sour pieces of grapefruit? in it too. The waitress originally encouraged me to get the chestnut soup minus the scallop, since i don't eat shellfish and expressed interest in the dish, but the chef clarified that the shellfish was not removable. I always hear wonderful things about Palena's soups, but as a kosher-style eater (no pork or shellfish), I've yet had the chance to try one. Crossing my fingers that Chef Ruta may add kosher-style friendly soup in the future.

For main course we both had the gnocchi, which right now has mushrooms, shredded cheese, and chives on it - and sit in a pool of butter. Despite the slight heaviness of the butter shelacking, the dumplings themselves were small and light - or as my wife put it when she had the same dish a week or so ago, "little pillows of heaven." On the side we had the bread basket, which was $2 at lunch, it was a generous helping of crusty white bread and a brown/oat? bread with a sweet, nutty flavor. Overall, a nice side to munch on if you want extra carbs, but nothing knock your socks off. Unlike the really good bread I had last time at 701 which had yummy cornbread muffins, foccacia, etc.

For dessert, I had the chocolate semifreddo - which was very good. Kind of like really good chocolate ice cream with the consistency of chocolate mousse - it seemed to have a slight coffee flavor too - befitting its cute presentation in a coffee cup. Can't wait to go back and try some more. I'm intrigued by the open face fish sandwich - anyone tried it yet?

Also, I just checked the menu on the restaurant website and it is already out of date/changed. They really do mix things up there and as in the past it looks like their website is not keeping up with the menu changes. Most of the lunch menu online is what was on the menu yesterday, but the weekly specials were different and several items were add/missing/modified.

The chestnut soup is ... rustic I think is the best word to describe it. Very hearty, tomato based I think and filled with substantial pieces of chestnuts. Honestly, not at all what I was expecting from Palena, and not really to my taste though the seared scallop was wonderful. I had the gnocchi as well, and agree about the unnecessary heaviness imparted by the butter, though overall it's a nicely flavorful dish with the mushrooms and chives. The $2 breadbasket is great as others have remarked, and well worth it (more than enough for two people, and mine had at least 4 different types of bread, including pumpernickel, white, whole wheat, and sourdough). I'd say the highlight of my lunch was probably the bread pudding I had for dessert. A cupcake-sized portion, spiked with rum, and served with a beautiful pastel pink and orange sauce made from blood oranges and grapefruit that gave it a zippy acidity to balance the lusciousness of the pudding. Really, really good stuff.

Coincidence. we were there as well, arrived just before 2 pm.

Well then, a belated hello! We actually arrived late due to traffic and were there just before 2 as well. I think we were the last to leave, however. Also spotted hillvalley enjoying a lunch there.

Another fine meal enjoyed, and once again I am overstuffed. We shared the bread basket, I ordered the Pork Frittes, and Mr. S had the Cobia with sunchokes and (can't recall the entire prep) Mine came with a salad and Mr. S ordered one for an app. I am always pleasantly surprised by the amazing flavors that just a "salad" can deliver, when done the right way. :) . Ordered the brussell sprouts, which had to be substituted at the last minute. The broccolini that was brought out instead was unfortunately too smoky from the wood grill to eat by itself. When eaten with the meat though it was a very fine combo. I'm too sleepy from the food to recall all the details but we will definitely return to try some pizza and/or panini for a lighter lunch. Today was not only a belated semi-birthday celebration, but it was our lunch AND dinner so we ordered a bit on the heavier side.

I had the pleasure to visit Palena for the first time after a wonderful zoolights evening with my visiting sister and girlfriend. Of course it was fantastic. I had the gnocci- wonderful, and tried a ravioli dish- decent. Of course the burger shone most brightly. The beer and wine selection was quite good, but they were out of a couple beers on draft that I'd wanted to try. Will most definitely be back if only for the burger (and I want to try the famous roast chicken). Some day I'll also make it to the back room for extended courses.

ate at Palena for the first time tonight. Everyone in my party of six was terribly disappointed in the meal. I feel as if we were in a different restaurant than the one I have read about in these posts and in other reviews. The portions were tiny (scallops and sea bass), the hamburger was completely unremarkable, the brussel sprouts were cold, and the chicken was bland. The server was inattentive and never asked how anything was. I had to flag him down for a drink. I had high expectations but tonight's meal was far off the mark.

I love dining out with my brother, a food and wine guy with great taste. And I love that he's been coming to town so often on business lately because not only do I get to see him a lot, but I've also been able to show him a wide swath of DC's dining scene and branch out myself to places I don't get to often. For no particular reason, I'd only been to Palena once, and it was years ago. Despite recent grumbling over the restaurant reconfiguration, reviews are almost entirely positive, so it was at the top of my list for his next visit.

I don't really remember well what it used to look like, but I was kind of surprised by the sort of corporate hotel look, or, as my brother said later, "It's a restaurant in a strip mall, and, uh, it kind of looks like it." The bartender made me a fine manhattan, and after a spell we ordered some munchie dishes and a split of bubbles. A waiter (not the bartender) presented the bottle, opened it, and poured my brother a taste. "It's fine, thanks, but it's room temperature."

Okay, this could have gone any direction. Later that night at Ripple, it went in the right direction. But at Palena, the waiter's response was, "We keep all of our wines at 48 degrees sir." Period. Stare at us, expectedly. Um, okay. But there's no chance in hell that bottle is at 48 degrees. It's room temperature, dude, which, since you're holding it in your bare hands, you should be aware of. By this point the bartender popped over and said he would put it on some ice. Unfortunately, we ordered the bottle to go with the food, which had just arrived. The bartender kind of looked at us dispassionately, and no other options were suggested. Bro said, well, maybe just pour us a wee bit to start and put it back to chill? Sure. [brother said later that he just should have sent it back, but he said it was the only bubbly split on the menu, the bartender seemed totally in the weeds, and since I'd talked the place up so much, he didn't want to make a big deal about it (ouch).] The busy bar and tender made it difficult to get refills for the rest of the bottle; much time was spent with empty glasses.

The house-made burrata with olives and sweet potatoes (!) was incredible. Who'd think to put those things together? And who could make them all work together in a bowl? Awesome. What a dish. The fry plate was expertly cooked--the fish, especially, was beautifully moist--but unfortunately the batter and the sauce gribiche lacked any seasoning at all.

By this point, the very small bar was packed, so we asked the host, who was behind the bar directly in front of us, for some salt. Rather than handing us one of the salt shakers we pointed at that were RIGHT THERE NEXT TO HER, she walked across the dining room to the kitchen, and brought us a mise dish of sea salt crystals. Which is thoughtful, but our fry plate was rapidly getting cold, and I don't think large crystals are the best way to season non-liquidy food at the table.

That's when we gave up the ghost, finished our food, and got our check to test our fortunes elsewhere. Nothing was terrible, but nor was anything--except the burrata--satisfying. And that place is way too expensive for meh food and detached, DIY service. Looks like it'll be another few years before I try again.

By this point, the very small bar was packed, so we asked the host, who was behind the bar directly in front of us, for some salt. Rather than handing us one of the salt shakers we pointed at that were RIGHT THERE NEXT TO HER, she walked across the dining room to the kitchen, and brought us a mise dish of sea salt crystals. Which is thoughtful, but our fry plate was rapidly getting cold, and I don't think large crystals are the best way to season non-liquidy food at the table.

That's when we gave up the ghost, finished our food, and got our check to test our fortunes elsewhere... And that place is way too expensive for meh food and detached, DIY service.

Those bastards.

Since qwerty has the unmitigated gall to gore a sacred cow, I will just add that I have been to Palena twice this year--once for dinner in the dining room and once for lunch in the new space--and I will only go again if somebody else (other than Dame Edna, that is) is paying. I truly do not understand the love this place is getting on this board. The food was meh and was terribly over-priced, particularly that lunch. It made me regret not just going to Nam Viet for a bowl of pho.

Those bastards.

This is pretty unfair, isn't it? The example of the waitress walking all the way to the kitchen to get salt may not be an example of "detached, DIY service" but qwertyy lists several other examples that fit that description pretty well: the wine being served at the wrong temperature, the unhelpful, shoulder shrugging response from the waiter when questioned about the temperature, the lack of options offered by the bartender after the food had already arrived while the wine originally ordered was being cooled down, the glasses sitting empty much of the time they were there...that's four right there.

I found qwertyy's post quite thoughtful, and any negative conclusions well supported by a detailed description of the experience.