• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 DanielK

DanielK

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Louie's Backyard is probably the best restaurant on Key West. Stunning views, very good seafood, marred only by sometimes indifferent service. Fairly expensive, but in line with other upscale places on the island.

#52 laniloa

laniloa

grunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Keys Fisheries in Marathon was as good as ever when I was back there this fall. I sent a friend there about a month ago and he said he went back again for more the next day.

#53 Biscuit Girl

Biscuit Girl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'd second Keys Fisheries.  We don't get down to the Keys as much as we like but when we do several meals are at this place. 

"Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one."

Neil Gaiman 

#54 MC Horoscope

MC Horoscope

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Went to both Louie's Backyard and Keys Fisheries in May 2013 and really enjoyed them!

Do you smell veal and peppers?

#55 KeithA

KeithA

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

We were in the Keys for week and mostly ate passable, but overpriced fish.  Think high-end DC dining for a piece of plain fish with plain sides.  Unfortunately, we never made it to either of the two recommendations above so that was partly our mistake.  One place that is worth recommending was Morada Bay in Islamorada.  It is literally on a manicured beach with tables in the sand and nice chairs, picnic tables off to the side to watch the still bay waters - perfect for sunset and a place to let the kids run among the palms. They had a decent guitarist playing music too and since they have two stages it looks like this is a regular occurrence. The food was better than most other places but still pricey around $25 for the daily catch with 1 sauce and 1 side (extra $5-7 for the second side - so you pick starch or vegetable or like us split it between the couple). I really liked the blackened grouper with thaichili dipping sauce and pretty good coconut accented rice.

There is also a more fine dining sister restaurant next door called Pierres that we didn't try but we heard was popular.

One night we went to a locals place called Castaway in Marathon which is pretty forgettable except for the bread they serve - honeybuns.  These are small white bread rolls that are lightly fried (no extra coating, just drop in for probably less than a minute) and then served with a syrup jar of honey to dip in.  Simple, yet delicious.  I don't know if this is common or not, but something to try at home.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, Florida Keys, Key West, Key Largo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users