114 posts in this topic

Dewey Beach

We will be in the Dewey Beach area next weekend and are looking for a restaurant that would have great ambiance (Would great food too be to much to ask?).

Does anything like that exist in that area?

Bethany, Dewey Beach, Rehoboth

In between Dewey and Bethany, closer to Bethany, there is a lovely seafood restaurant (and market) on the bay side. I can't remember the name but I know it was open Thanksgiving weekend last year.

There are usually a couple of restaurants open in Rehobeth, more than you would expect. In the strip mall with the movie theater there is an Italian restaurant which is pretty good when you consider its location.

​Dewey Beach, Rehoboth

Rehoboth has much more quality and variety than Dewey when it comes to dining at the beach. Having grown up very close to Rehoboth, I think I've eaten at nearly every restaurant within a 20 mile radius.... If you're looking for good food, I suggest the following:

Blue Moon -- consistently one of the best in the area, this restaurant is located in a quaint converted beach house. Save room for the Moon Pie dessert!

http://www.bluemoonrehoboth.com/

Espuma -- describes itself as "eclectic Mediterranean" cuisine. Their website is a little over-the-top, but don't let that discourage you...

http://www.espumarestaurant.com/

La La Land -- the bubble machine out front will be your fist indication that this is a funky, whimsical restaurant. They have several indoor rooms and an outdoor patio (weather permitting) that create nice ambience.

http://www.lalalandrestaurant.com/welcome.html

They're all good, but my favorite is Blue Moon. I believe that BYO wine is allowed at all 3 and the corkage fee is reasonable (~$10). Enjoy!

​Rehoboth

I had a great birthday dinner with the family at Eden, which appears to be open during the off-season (or they need to update their page). I can also second Bigpinot's suggestions of 'Espuma' and "Blue Moon", with the caveat that I've never been (We were supposed to go to both, but in what became the story of that weekend, we couldn't in both cases for different reasons mad.gif ), but both were hugely recommended by my uncle who has a place there, and whose opinion I value as highly as anybody else here! I hear Dish! (Warning: Really whacked-out Flash website) is good, too.

​Bethany

I've enjoyed several good meals at DiFebo's which is about one minute west of Bethany Beach. I particularly enjoy the antipasto salad, the prosciutto platter and the pasta specials. They are open every day, lunch and dinner. It is very family friendly, and they'll do simple dishes for the kiddies, but it is still a white tablecloth place. They also opened up a more casual pizza and pasta place called Isabella's nearby, but I've not been there yet.

​Bethany, Rehoboth

Eden remains the best beach meal I've had with a good wine list and they were kind enough to waive corkage-good stemware so no need to BYOGs. The last time I ate at Blue Moon, it was pretty bad (brunch-I mean how do you screw up brunch?) . BBQ blues in Bethany is a pretty good value with decent BBQ and a good place if the kids are along. Sonoma (also BB) ain't worth it. LaLa Land has been around for many years so they must be doing something right. Dish was hit and miss and kind of diner like decor. We liked Fusion and again corkage was waived. Celesius was also pretty good but its been a few years since our last visit. There's a Chinese place across from these two places that we picked up some good carryout. Sidneys (sp) has great bands and the back room can turn into a pickup joint for every persuasion as the night goes on. We used to like Cloud 9 but the last few times, I've ordered a steak-$5 corkage but their list is ok. Overall, the more I eat at the beach, the more I prefer to dine in-get some spiced shrimp and a couple of steamed lobsters and you're good to go. Of course , there's always Nicola-mediocre za but those nicobolis!

Edited by porcupine

​Bethany

We'll be in Bethany Beach 6/9-14, and if anyone has a suggestion for a good, casual, kid-friendly seafood place I'd be much obliged. Seafood market suggestions a bonus. Our condo is a little north of the "downtown".

Also, how expensive are the grocery stores?

We'll be in Bethany Beach 6/9-14, and if anyone has a suggestion for a good, casual, kid-friendly seafood place I'd be much obliged. Seafood market suggestions a bonus. Our condo is a little north of the "downtown".

Also, how expensive are the grocery stores?

Generally cheaper to bring food/wine from DC though no sales tax in Deleware. Stop for produce on the way down-plenty of places from which to choose.

​Rehoboth

I had a few good meals in Rehoboth recently:

Eden -- Good food & efficient service, though the restaurant was a bit noisy. Corkage was waived for me as well, on the condition that I let the waiter have a small glass of the wine (his idea - sounded like he's done this routine before...).

Celsius -- One of my new beach favorites. They have a prix fixe menu for $30 (I think), which includes soup, entree, and dessert. They also accept restaurant.com certificates, which makes the meal an even better deal. We enjoyed the food too - sort of a mediterranean-inspired bistro menu, if that makes any sense...

Lazy Susan's, on Rte 1, north of Rehoboth, is a great place for pick-your-own-crabs and beer. The restaurant doesn't take reservations and can get packed on the weekends.

Generally cheaper to bring food/wine from DC though no sales tax in Deleware. Stop for produce on the way down-plenty of places from which to choose.
Thanks! That was tentatively the plan but thought I should check. We'll bring the staples from home.

​Rehoboth

Any recent reports from Rehoboth? I'm heading down tonight for a few days.

I asked Kliman a similar question the other day:

Mt. Pleasant, DC

Is there any restaurant in Rehoboth that isn't
mediocre and overpriced?

Todd: Take a look at the July issue. [of Washingtonian Magazine]
I'm with you, by and large, about the fine-dining options.

But Espuma delivers. There's some smart, accomplished cooking coming from Jay Caputo's kitchen. You're not likely to come away feeling like somebody's been playing with too many ingredients in the back.

And a handful of new-ish places -- Fish On!, Northeast Seafood Kitchen, Blue Coast, all of them owned by the same company -- has figured out that what people really want from a nice meal out at the beach is simple, focused flavors and good, fresh fish.

​Rehoboth

We were in Rehoboth Beach a couple of weekends ago and we dined at Eden, Fusion and Chez La Mer.

Eden was my favorite, and not just because you can BYOW ($5/stem was the corkage fee this time). It has a unique feel to the room and they've expanded the upstairs significantly. But we chose to remain on the main floor with one of the booths with the gauzy fabrics dangling hthere to make the booths even more cozy. Very good service, quite good food. The highlight was actually the tableau of food underneath one of the entrees, a concoction of corn, bacon, tmato and various seasonings. Super.

Fusion was very good, and was my wife's favorte this trip. A bit more spartan, but with some interesting art. It does have some noise issues even without it being a full room. But leaving that aside, the food is quite, quite good. Very fresh and creative and a decently priced winelist, if a little spartan (eden's was better -- and better described along with fun section headings like 'Don't Hate Me Because I'm Pink') as they do not allow BYOW. Their desserts are fine, but we passed this year opting for some banana, brown sugar and sour cream crepes at Le Crepes Suzette over on Penny Lane.

Chez La Mer, which I thought had slipped a bit a few years ago was back in form, but perhaps not at its peak. But stil a very good meal. Inventive enough, but just well prepared food served simply and efficiently. A nice and french-heavy winelist, they also do not allow BYOW. But they do have 1/2 price wine nights on Mondays. Definitely worthwhile.

We've only been to LaLaLand once a few years ago and found it to be horribly overrated. Too crowded floor (tables way too close together), not so great service and a tad pretentious.

Espuma is on our hitlist for either late in the season if we make it back this year, or next season.

Has anyone ever stopped at La Quetzalteca, that Mexican joint on 404 just before Georgetown en route to Rehoboth?

​Rehoboth

It has been several years, but we used to go to Rehobeth Beach regularly. Eden is very good, the Back Porch is also good, especially if you can get a seat outside up on the roof. For dessert have them make the special back porch coffee, it is a show of flame and fun. Both permit BYOB.

If you like Sushi, the Cultured Pearl is very nice, good food and a great room but they don't allow BYOB and thier wine list is only OK. Chez La Mer is good seafood and a very good list, but as TJ said, go on Monday.

I had a bad experience at Celesius the last time we went (horrible service, the server was rude to our kid who was being very quiet and had asked for some iced tea, my nephew's salad came half way into the entrees, etc.) and the management, who I talked to as we were leaving indicated that they couldn't care less. Food was ok, but I won't go back, too many other good places to go.

Blue Moon is fun, and Sydney's Side Street serves late, often has jazz, and serves wines and Port by the flight. Food is ok but nothing to write home about.

​Rehoboth

Just returned from Rehoboth yesterday. Hits included a revived LaLaLand and the new Retro Cafe on Wilmington for brunch. Misses included the declining Celcius and Summer House. Oh, and the ubiquitous Grotto Pizza continues to be unimpressive (try telling that to my folks).

The Summer House, chosen by my parents, is apparently under new ownership. When they picked the place, I objected pointing out that I had done shots with friends there only a summer ago. "You want to eat there??" I asked. They did. Mom, Dad, Aunt and Uncle liked everything about the place; I attempted to get through the meal without sulking. It's noisy, there are TVs everywhere and the food was very whatever. Folks liked the soft, warm bread (which was undercooked really) which comes with olive oil and shredded parmesan. I tried sprinkling the cheese atop the bread but couldn't get it to stay. I gave up.

Spinach and artichoke dip was popular with the crew, as were the salmon entrees and crab cakes. My ribeye was excessively salted and cooked to medium well (I ordered medium).

The Summer House is not significantly cheaper than restaurants I think are a step (or three) better. I very much needed a beer, however they don't offer any - any!! - on tap so I had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc from their very questionable wine list. Beringer White Zin anyone?

​Rehoboth

We celebrated my boyfriend's birthday at LaLaLand. The biggest surprise? Bartender David (aka Leopardhead) was in a lovely mood. Seriously, I usually warn people I take there for drinks that he's known for and loved in spite of his cantankerousness. No need this trip.

The takeaway for me from this latest LaLaLand meal was that the food was much improved, while the presentations remain stalled in the era that loved stacks, columns, garnishes and other embellishment. Perhaps this is meant to cater to the average tourist (aka my parents, aunt and uncle), perhaps not. Either way, this recent meal left my relatives, prone to groaning when I pick LaLaLand because of its "high falutin'" menu and high prices, raving.

In the end, we had a few more friends join us (LaLaLand handled the increase from 6 people to 8 with grace). At least five people ordered the lobster main. I'll try to recall details, but there were lots of glasses of wine and cocktails too. biggrin.gif

My starter of Korean-style spare ribs with red cabbage (instead of the advertised kimchi) was delcious, a hearty portion. My boyfriend's gratin of escargot disappeared quickly and when he asked if I wanted a taste, I could tell he didn't mean it so I was kind and declined. I did, though, get a taste of Mom's great goat cheese torta with pine nut crust and a red beet emulsion. She looked at me timidly when the dish arrived, questioning the beets, but then she loved it all.

Caesar salads at LaLa are H-U-G-E and come with a delicious buttery parmesan crisp. Dad was nice enough to give his to me. The soup of the day was a white gazpacho; a crab bisque was also available and enjoyed by one of my friends.

I have been getting burned by veal lately, but I ordered the veal porterhouse anyway. It had tremendous flavor, but was a little tough in spite of being cooked to medium rare. Its sides were killer - gnocchi with truffle butter and sauteed favas.

Too full for dinner at the end of it all. We paid the bill and walked it off, all the way over to Ben & Jerry's followed by drinks at the Frogg Pond (karaoke is Sunday nights presently; Monday is live music).

​Dewey, Rehoboth

Big Fish Grill (Rehoboth): 2 huge softshells for $22 crispy and clean. Grilled rare tuna also huge, perfecty cooked, a little underseasond for me, but fresh and meaty all the same. The sides were weird. Huge mash and tiny veggies . I couldn't get addtional recs for seafood so I felt we did well considering...
Dewey Grill (duh): right across from the Starboard. It's a 'health' food bar which we didn't realize. wasn't a huge fan of their ceaser dressing, but I can be picky. However the bf loved, loved their turkey burger on whole wheat bun (thank goodness, since he asked if the chef had something against a 'real' burger nicely :-) and that's when he was told it was a 'health' food place.) I'd recommed for a quick bite close to the beach and bloody marys were good too.
Northbeach: (Dewey): Picture perfect setting. Sunday's special mammoth frozen drinks 5.75 (prob 16-20oz) I guiltily had 2. Get the fried fish sandwich. Half the heat hot fish goes on the sandwich, half goes in your companions mouth. It says a dijon tartar sauce, but after asking about it the waitress said it's just regular - which it was (poor girl - who was a really great waitress - gets requests for the "dijon tartar" for other food, and nobody believes her when she says it really the same as the other tartar on the menu, it's these stories of 'guests' in restaurants that doesn't make me miss the biz).

​Bethany

Bluecoast in Bethany Beach. Not bad, small-ish bar, but a big lounge area. Service was surprisingly plesant considering the amount of tourists which I am sure can grate on them throughout the crush. OK wine list, overpriced but not outrageous, bottle of Calera Pinot Noir ran us $48.00 bones. Fried Lobster Tails, 4 small tails, 2 biters basically, $17.00.
Hour wait, then once we hit the table, clean space, lots of elbow room.
Fried Oysters, plump and not dried out, Wife had the Chilled Romaine with spicy blue cheese dressing and bacon. Not bad, a little over=dressed on the greens.
Entrees were hawiaan spiced Tuna for the wife, and I had a rare tenderloin with asparagus.

Let me just say this, finally someone cooks asparagus that has crunch. Its supposeed to have that cigar ash taste and not be limp.
Overall, good place. Pricey...yes. But its suppossed to be that way.

Georgetown

Has anyone ever stopped at La Quetzalteca, that Mexican joint on 404 just before Georgetown en route to Rehoboth?
I ate there once, out of curiousity. It's definitely authentic (all of the employees were clearly latinos) and I think I was the only gringo in the place. Food was nothing special, unfortunately, given the relatively large population of latinos who live in and around Georgetown.

​Rehoboth

The Retro Cafe has moved to the larger space next door and the old Retro Cafe is now the GreenMan Juice Bar and Bistro. The GreenMan's menu didn't do much for me, so breakfast yesterday and today has been at Retro. It's OK. I'm not as jazzed about the food as I was last year. The service has suffered during the expansion--that much I know. The owner who also plays the role of server seems 100x as harried as he did last year. My nutella pancakes today were pretty good. My scrambled eggs yesterday required two tries--the first batch came out in little crumbles even though I'd asked for them "easy." Oh well...I'm not at work, at least.

My non-foodie family enjoyed The Pig + Fish Restaurant which is new. I'm not a fan. Our appetizer of hummus, sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese ended up being a mix of the three, rather than a sample of the three. It had an odd, but not inedible, curdled texture. I was starving so I ate it. My main, a tobasco-smoked pork tenderloin, showed up well done instead of the medium I requested. But the real problem was the semi-sweet maple-tinged sauce accompanying it, as well as the soggy asparagus and beyond-crisp carrots.

Better luck next meal.

Appetizers at LaLaLand last night were very, very good. The menu hasn't changed since last year (which is unlike the place), but what we had was even better than last year's visit. Thai spring rolls featured a crispy, greaseless crust, and the Korean BBQ style ribs were really tremendous, tender and full of flavor. I didn't try the calimari, but my friends made it disappear quickly.

We moved on to Ristorante Zebra for main courses. Pretty good, and I like having the option of ordering pastas in a half portion or whole. My carbonara ($10) was suprisingly un-rich. It was fine, but not tremendous. My friend had a much better dish of pappardelle with mushrooms and truffle oil. No room for dessert.

Fenwick Island

We'll be on Fenwick Island next weekend for a buddy's engagement party, and hanging around for an extra coupla days. Apart from breakfast at Jimmy's Kitchen (mentioned in the OC thread), what else in the area is worth checking out?

Fenwick, Bethany

I recommend Crabcake Factory (on 12000 Coastal Highway- ocean side) for their delicious jumbo lump crabcakes.
For breakfast, The Fractured Prune around 120th has great, hot, fresh doughnuts.
For more upscale, try bluecoast (no caps means shi-shi) in Bethany Beach- first come first serve, but pretty nice food.
These are all pretty close the the place in Fenwick.

Here is a post from our trip last year.