Rehoboth

Porcini House - Went for brunch. Eggs Benedict 2 ways and really quite good Bloody Marys.
3492954788_f0809af695.jpg
3492954744_c76cef3ec4.jpg

Espuma -- Still the best of the lot out there. We were going for interesting and got lobster night. Butter poached ad grilled with 8 accompaniments that were all good and some outstanding.
3492136367_0057f49191.jpg
3492136327_266459dbe9.jpg
3492136279_7ca25a46e1.jpg
3492954016_d6757d5d19.jpg

Rehoboth

Just FYI, when we were there a few weeks ago, it looks like Fusion has been closed and being re-invented as Salt Air. A new restaurant by Jonathan Spivak and others. Read on about it here.

To me, the menu looks like a dumbing down of what is offered (plus an awful lot of non-seafood, for a place called Salt Air) and an appeal to 'families' (kids menu????!).

It'll be worth a try just to see how it goes when I am there next....

Rehoboth

Another year and another trip to Espuma. Tried a different preparation of lobster this year...butter boached on top of some really excellent cous cous and some drizzled sauces of fennel, harissa and a tiny bit of balsamic. It worked and was delicious. Starters included a bacon tart (wow) and also a dish involving crispy mussels (delicious). Desserts involved a muffin/biscuit (somewhat savory) paired with nice strawberries and a little salt and basil ice cream as well as a napoleon involving chocolate, banana and I think peanut butter. A very good meal (the Patz & Hall chardonnay was way too oaky for me).

Gus & Gus also delivered for great boardwalk food, as always. Made for a nice lunch.

Of note it seems that the Greene Turtle is moving in to space right on or above the boardwalk.

Also, Nicola Pizza has massively expanded on to their existing space by taking what I think is a connected behind the scenes connection to a large two story building right on Rehoboth Avenue. It's huge.

Lewes

The Surfing Crab at 16723 Coastal Highway, just north of Lewes, is a friendly place worth checking out. I ate at the bar there last weekend and had a good $15 grilled tuna caesar salad. Good sized portion, fresh ingredients, I'd go back. They also were offering Smith Island cake which was chocolate cake with white frosting and that was a winner also. The big draw seems to be their all you can eat crab dinner. Its a casual place with picnic tables in a very clean air conditioned space.

Lewes

I enjoyed a large sandwich of homemade bread, fresh mozzarela and imported italian meats at Touch of Italy Salumeria & Pasticceria (33A Baltimore Ave). When you walk in it looks like they just sell deli meats, cheeses, pasta, and Italian cookes to go, but they actually make several sandwiches. As you walk in the door there's a narrow sign advertising the sandwiches right in front ofand above you. Don't just look there though. Turn around and look above the door and you'll see about 8 more sandwich options. I didn't notice this sign until I was walking out. There were at least 3 more sandwiches I would have tried from that list. They have a paper takeout menu that lists all these sandwiches, too. I talked to one of the owners on the way outside and he said the family is from New York and is trying to create a authentic Italian experience. I'll definitely be back there.

Another "secret" that locals seem to mostly know about is that Grub Grocery (owned by the Cultured Pearl owners) does daily lunch specials like Roast leg of lamb and 2 heaping sides for around 7 bucks. easily worth the price.

Rehoboth

Tuesday afternoons in the park behind the Rehoboth Visitors Center (just west of the traffic circle) - a nice farmers market with sandwiches, ice cream, etc, along with good-looking produce. I had never been to this market until today. Check it out if you are in town for a few days.

Rehoboth

Does anyone know a good source of live crabs in the Rehoboth beach area?

Hope this isn't too late. I think Jimmie Lynn's up Rte 1 towards the Lewes turn off sells live by the bushel. I know for a fact that Rehoboth Seafood market at the 1/1A split does, but I've been less impressed with their product in the last few years. You could also try Ed's in Dewey and see if they will sell them unsteamed. Aside from that most of the places I know are a decent drive away (mostly down towards OC where there are lots of options).

Rehoboth

Don't know if it is still there but there used to be a wing place a few doors down from Nicolas. Of course, a nic-o-boli is the best absorbent there is. Also the take away fish and chips place on Rehoboth Ave half a block or so below the beach.

There's always Hooters on Rehoboth Ave but I know you would never go there.

Fenwick; Bethany

We are in DE regularly and like to try new places. We just tried the Lobster Shanty in Fenwick which is owned by the folks at Nantucket, also in Fenwick Island. Also recently tried Off the
Hook, a new seafood restaurant in Bethany Beach. Both are recommended, but unfortunately neither take reservations so you have to time it right.

Rehoboth

Wanted to like Espuma -- the people were so nice, we were so tired of chicken wings and pizza. But the food felt uninspired, and at beach prices I wish I'd saved my money for a decent night out back in town. Decent deckle, OK lamb and cous cous and a dry "Three Day Pork."

Alas.

​Bethany, Rehoboth

We really liked our dinner at Salt Air in Rehoboth. Both appetizers that we had were only average, but the entrees were great across the board, especially the roast chicken and any simply prepared fish that we got. The cocktail list was fine, although it was tough to find a non-sweet drink on it, but the wine list needed some work. Our server was nice, but flustered at times, he really didn't know the menu very well. I figure that he was new or just not personally any good, the rest of the wait staff seemed to be on top of their game.

We also enjoyed dinner at Patsy's in Bethany. Again, fish preparations were great, portions were large and the service was fantastic. We didn't even look at the wine list, it was our last night there and we were done drinking, so I can't speak to that. Prices were pretty high - they must make a killing because it was packed - but I didn't feel like it was a bad value for the money.

Fenwick; Rehoboth

I was down at Fenwick Island last weekend for my annual boys trip with friends from grad school.

We went to Touch of Italy in Rehoboth for lunch before going on the Dogfish Head Brewery tour. Their sandwiches were delicious- had the No. 2 - hot capicolla, handmade mozzarella and sun dried peppers. They also bake their own Italian bread.
pics

We had crabs at Fenwick Crab house- decent, good beer selection. Their crabcake was something to be desired. To make up for it, we had the delicious crabcakes from the Crabcake Factory in OC.

Another evening, after drinks at the House of Welsh (very old school place), we had the fantastic Quahog Chowdah at Nantuckets as well as some delicious PEI mussels with basil pesto garlic and white wine sauce.
pics

Rehoboth

That was exactly our experience. Some decent cocktails and pleasant quirky staff. But the entrees were very mediocre with the 3 day pork and the paella in particular featuring borderline toxic levels of salt. We beat it before dessrt and it was still $150 per couple.....

By contrast we had a very pleasant lunch at the Summer House one day - nothing fancy, just decent food prepared well

Decent crabs from Jimmy Lynns (thanks TedE)

lots and lots of great beer from Dogfish

Wanted to like Espuma -- the people were so nice, we were so tired of chicken wings and pizza. But the food felt uninspired, and at beach prices I wish I'd saved my money for a decent night out back in town. Decent deckle, OK lamb and cous cous and a dry "Three Day Pork."

Alas.

Rehoboth

That was exactly our experience. Some decent cocktails and pleasant quirky staff. But the entrees were very mediocre with the 3 day pork and the paella in particular featuring borderline toxic levels of salt.

I had the same experience with the salt level in the paella, next time I should man-up and say something I suppose. huh.gif The staff was lovely.

Rehoboth

We just returned from a wonderful Columbus day weekend at Rehoboth. Can’t beat wall-to-wall sun and 80F weather in October!
We always like to take our dog – so we like the patio at DogfishHead – for the beer, and the friendly staff who welcome our Border Collie. The food is less inspiring but passable for lunch. Saturday night we attempted to get into Salt Air but they were jammed by 7PM and already had a 90 minute wait (they don’t do reservations). We wound up at Cultured Pearl for Sushi and had a wonderful appetizer of Hamachi collar. We returned to Salt Air on Sunday and we were able to get a table with minimum wait. But that is not all – Sunday evening is $19 for any 3 courses off their menu !!!! Even on a 3 day weekend! Food was good and service was good and a reasonable wine list to boot.
The stand out of the weekend was the new place next to Salt Air – Henlopen City Oyster House. Great selection of fresh and briny Oysters, steamed clams and shrimp, and a fantastic selection of beers. They had an impeccably kept CASK Hop Devil, a dark, wood-aged beer from the new, local brewery Evolution as well as the DogfishHead “Bitches Brew” that even the DFH pub had run out of. The friendly and knowledgeable staff great oysters and beer make this a place to which we will definitely return. Soon.

Rehoboth

We've been going to Rehoboth for 30+ years; for the last 2 of those our absolute favorite restaurant there is Lupo di Mare in the Hotel Rehoboth, on Rehoboth Ave not far from Lingo's Realty but on the opposite side of the street. The chef here has magic in his fingers... everything just comes out great, even standard Italian fare is raised to a higher level. Prices are typical for Rehoboth but seem less because of the quantity and quality of what you get. I always have enough for lunch the next day. My favorite app is the fresh figs stuffed with gorgonzola, wrapped in prosciutto, grilled and drizzled with a good balsamico... Ab-Fab! Also the grilled octopus is delicious. Very authentic, typical food that you would find in Italy, where we spent this past summer. We also like the Back Porch, Eden, and Pig & Fish. Not wild about Dogfish, we have found the food to be dull and the wait to be long. Also underwhelmed by Espuma, thought it was overpriced every time we've gone although we liked the food (not loved). Can't wait to go to Henlopen City Oyster House based on the recommendation above, we'll try it this weekend!

Rehoboth

We've been going to Rehoboth for 30+ years; for the last 2 of those our absolute favorite restaurant there is Lupo di Mare in the Hotel Rehoboth, on Rehoboth Ave not far from Lingo's Realty but on the opposite side of the street. The chef here has magic in his fingers... everything just comes out great, even standard Italian fare is raised to a higher level. Prices are typical for Rehoboth but seem less because of the quantity and quality of what you get. I always have enough for lunch the next day. My favorite app is the fresh figs stuffed with gorgonzola, wrapped in prosciutto, grilled and drizzled with a good balsamico... Ab-Fab! Also the grilled octopus is delicious. Very authentic, typical food that you would find in Italy, where we spent this past summer. We also like the Back Porch, Eden, and Pig & Fish. Not wild about Dogfish, we have found the food to be dull and the wait to be long. Also underwhelmed by Espuma, thought it was overpriced every time we've gone although we liked the food (not loved). Can't wait to go to Henlopen City Oyster House based on the recommendation above, we'll try it this weekend!

We also love Lupo di Mare. We eat there almost every time we're at the beach. Last weekend we decided to check out a few places in Lewes for the first time and really enjoyed Kindle and Fish On. Fish On is owned by the same group that owns Lupo di Mare. It was definitely worth the short drive to Lewes from Rehoboth. My husband loves mussels and orders them nearly everywhere we go and their version was especially enjoyable due to the spicy broth. I tried the steamed shrimp and scallop dumplings and while the flavor was good, I found the wrappers to be a bit limp and slimy for my taste. I had a crab pasta special for my main and my husband had the night's biggest winner with the pan roasted salmon. It has a sherry maple glaze that seemed like it would be too sweet, but it wasn't at all and the salmon was perfectly cooked. I would definitely order that the next time we're there.

Rehoboth

Had a very nice dinner at Lupo di Mare. BTW, what does Lupo di Mare mean? Wolf of the sea or catfish? I was a tad disappointed that they didn't have razor clams or lobster bruschetta. Instead, we had some excellent grilled artichoke and some interesting shaved Brussels sprouts drizzled with truffle oil. My spaghetti with clam sauce was pretty good as was my wife's sausage and red pepper linguine. The side of boccoli rabe; however, was a mess of overcooked greens without much other flavors.

Rehoboth

Went last weekend, hit up Espuma again -- great meal.

Wanted to get to Cultured Pearl also this year, but decided to head out early to head back home.

I'd heard rumors that Porcini House had closed, but it was clearly open when we walked on by.

Rehoboth

Kliman's quick rundown from his chat:

* Salt Air Kitchen. I think this is the best place at the beach, right now, for a good and relaxing dinner out. The dishes are built with local produce and, often, local fishes and meats, and the kitchen is smart to get out of the way and not fuss too much with the bounty.

* Espuma. More creative cooking, with hits and misses. I've had terrific dishes here, and some not-so, but I don't think I've ever left here feeling disappointed. And sometimes, I've left quietly elated.

* Nage. Better than the DC location. A vast array of wines available in small pours, and the cooking, when it's on, can be very good. Creative comfort food.

* Eden. I like it best for composing a meal of small plates. Good grilled things. The wine list isn't gouging, and there are some interesting picks.

* Northeast Seafood Kitchen, in Bethany. Focus on the top half of the menu, like the fried Ipswich clams. The rewards aren't as great when it comes to the bigger plates. And save room for the chocolate cake with a pitcher of chocolate sauce.

* Cafe Azafran, Lewes, for tapas. Cozy setting, very inviting, and the cooking, while not exacting as you might like, is generally very satisfying.

* Kindle, in Lewes. I like that it doesn't try too hard. Uncomplicated, uncluttered plates, and it generally pulls off what it attempts. Steak tartare, steak frites. At lunch, an excellent BLT with avocado.

* Bethany Blues BBQ. Pretty prefab, and service is scattered, but I like the ribs. And I like the long list of bourbons.

* Casapulla South. Superlative hoagies. Even the tuna fish hoagie is fantastic.

* Louie's. For pizza by the slice only. Make it pepperoni.

Rehoboth

Based on this thread, we booked a table at Salt Air Kitchen last night. I was a little worried because they've been getting a lot of disappointed reviews on Yelp and CH, but we figured we'd give them a chance. I started worrying when we showed up for our 6:30 reservation. Henlopen Oyster next door had a line out the door, and Salt Air was only 30% full. Right away they told us that they were a little behind and we ought to wait at the bar. We thought this was odd as they seemed slow. We enjoyed some drinks at the bar, and after 15 min we were seated.
We decided to get a bunch of appetizers first to share. These came out shortly and they were pretty good: pinchos with chorizo, figs, house canned sardines, quail with sunchokes, watermelon salas, and a great lump crab dip.
At this point it was a good experience, but then the night then turned sour.
First, our wait time between starters and entrees was about an hour. We had three different people come by saying it was going to be just a few minutes. They all asked if they could bring anything for us. We just wanted our food.
When the entrees arrived, I had ordered a half roasted chicken. It looked beautiful on the plate, but I was a little worried when it did not come apart easily with my knife. Right away, I pulled the leg, and noticed redness and red blood in between muscle fibers. I'm comfortable with a little pink or blood stains in my chicken, and so was one of my dining companions who is a great cook, so I asked the waiter to come check on this plate. Immediately he was very defensive, and he said that because the bird was brined this was normal. He then walked away. I had to get him a second time, and I asked him to send the chicken back. He did so, but then he returned and told me to speak with the chef-owner on my way out so he could explain the blood. He said we were still wrong about the chicken.
My tablemates all enjoyed their food, but everyone was frustrated with the service. The swordfish was good, the crab cakes were mostly backfin but were ok. When they all finished, I did not have my chicken, so I asked the waiter, after having to get up to find him to just cancel the chicken.
This then started an odyssey with the bill which had to be corrected three times to remove the chicken and then fix the 20% gratuity that was tacked on for our group of 7 which was still calculated pre-chicken. We eventually got the manager to remove the mandatory gratuity.
Salt Air may have promising food, but the service, where all the complaints online address was just awful, I would not return and I would in fact discourage people from going.

Fenwick

Took the lads to Catch 54 in Fenwick Island, right on DE Rt. 54 west of Ocean Highway. It's operated by Matt Haley's SoDel Concepts, a local operator with restaurants all over coastal Delaware. They tout farm and ocean to table, so I was looking forward to it. Tough to get a good piece of fish at home, for some reason.

We went a few years ago and it was nice; crowded but friendly, and the food and service would have cut it in most places. Apparently, they suffered a fire in the Spring, so when we went upstairs I thought something didn't jive with my recollection of the layout.

Anyway. I started out with as nice grapefruit cooler and Blue Point and PEI oysters. Oysters were fresh and briny, although I admit to bring utterly spoiled by BlackSalt. I got some nice sea salt topped Parker House rolls to keep the boys occupied; they even tried the herbed sweet cream butter that came along.

Dinner was a generous piece of buttermilk fried catfish (a special) served over a zingy potato salad with a side of cucumber & red onion salad. Really nice; fish wasn't great at all, the potatoes had body without being heavy (hey - they're potatoes) and the cucumber salad was slightly sweet and refreshing. The little one went with cavatappi with butter, and the big one didn't see anything in the kids menu interested him, so he opted for a medium rare bacon cheeseburger - a man-sized half pounder with white cheddar and tomato relish. He proclaimed it "spectacular" and made a pretty good go at it. Quality burger, served on a burred grilled brioche.

Can't beat the view; right on Little Assawoman Bay overlooking a
inlet. I really enjoyed it, with two observations:

a) I don't purport to understand restaurant economics at all, but couldn't you serve slightly smaller portions, charge a dollar less, and still make the same money? This isn't a knock on the prices at all; they were eminently fair. I could have eaten 75 percent of that meal, paid one dollar less, and felt full and like the meal was still reasonably prices.

B) the restaurant had a lot of open tables. Maybe it's the economy, or maybe we just picked a quiet weeknight, but the last time we went, we waited for easily 45 minutes. Same part of the season. I hope they make it because the food and location are totally worth the trip.

I got to get text to speech working on my phone. My thumb hurts.

Cheers!

post-4177-0-80284100-1340287519_thumb.jp

Rehoboth

Lady Kibbee and I were bound for Henlopen City Oyster House last night, but the wait was a good hour. So we headed down the street to Planet X, and I'm glad we did. After a perfectly fine round of appetizers -- seared scallops and smoked wild salmon rolls, we had the absolute best crab cakes I've ever eaten. And I've eaten in Fenwick Island and Annapolis and Baltimore and everywhere else crab cakes have bragging rights, but beyond a doubt these were spectacular. Two nicely sized all Maryland lump crab with no apparent filler and just plain wonderful. I will return this week for those same crab cakes, and maybe more than once.

Two nights ago, we ate a pleasant sushi dinner at Cultured Pearl. There certainly is an interesting selection of sushi rolls at this place, and the live music adds another dimension of interest. The hamachi collar/cheek was a very nice way to start the meal, followed by three of the more interesting rolls.

Rehoboth

Dinner at Jake's Seafood tonight on Baltimore in Rehoboth. Great meal, but the place was packed and the service was slow. Nonetheless, the crab bisque was sinfully good, the crab cakes were on a par with most of the best I've had -- but Planet X still had better crab cakes -- and the Rockfish stuffed with Crab Imperial was really nice....but sat under the heat lamp a bit longer than it should have and was somewhat dried out. So, aside from the service and timing, this is a high-quality seafood restaurant with overall reasonable prices.

Let me re-emphasize -- the crab cakes at Planet X are the best I have ever had.

Rehoboth

Salt Air is probably the best restaurant in Rehoboth these days. this is based on consistenly good meals over several visits. We spend quite a bit of time here so have made the rounds and Salt Air is #1 in our book. Google Rehoboth Foodie for a pretty good run down on dining in this area.

Rehoboth

When you go to the beach with your kids the trip clearly cannot be all about food. Although we did not get to every place I wanted to try during a recent long weekend in Rehoboth, we did manage to squeeze in some pleasurable meals along the way.

Morning was the time for long walks before the kids awoke. The first stop was usually The Coffee Mill for some liquid fuel. It is in the Rehoboth Mews alley between Baltimore and Rehoboth Avenues. They stock a relatively large variety of coffee beans and teas, but all we had were cappuccinos and whatever drip coffee they were serving, which we enjoyed. The store looks more like a small shack, but the place appears to be a local institution. Curiously, their own website expresses confusion over whether the shop first opened in 1984 or 1992. I seem to recall the sign on the outside advertising that they have been open for 19 years; that would mean they opened in 1993 (unless the sign was one year old). Regardless of when it opened, the coffee was good and kept us going until our next stop, which was usually The Point Coffee House and Bake Shoppe.

The Point is so named because it is located at the point where Route 1 meets Route 1A. They may have the most bare-boned website I have seen. I can also recommend the cappuccinos and drip coffee here as well, although they do not have quite the selection of beans as the Coffee Mill. Although this place has some good looking baked goods and an interesting sandwich menu, we never actually ate anything here, so I cannot tell if looks were deceiving. I think this place is relatively new, because I found something called Oby Lee Coffee Roastery on the Internet at the same address. ARLnow.com reports that Oby Lee may be opening a new shop in Clarendon.

After more coffee at the Point, it would be time to head over to Pasqualini's Bakery. This place looks a little run-down and is almost hidden behind the equally shady looking Crystal Restaurant on Rehoboth Avenue near the drawbridge. (In fairness, we did not go in the Crystal Restaurant and I understand they serve a quite respectable breakfast). Pasqualini's has an assortment of pastries and dougnuts and some crumb cake that was voted best in Rehoboth by our kids. I think if I wanted a cake, I would give these folks a try. They had a number of interesting looking cakes in their cases.

Speaking of crumb cake, I favored the ones sold at Dinah Lingo's Grocery, which had a larger chrunchier topping. Lingo's grocery also had a large number of fresh pastries and breads out in the mornings and there was a sign in the Village By The Sea alley between Baltimore and Rehobeth Avenues that they would soon be opening a bakery in that location.

Our morning walks typically ended with spinach and feta crepes at Crepes by the Sea on 1st Street. This appears to be a new place. They served up some respectable crepes but never seemed very busy, so if you get a chance you may want to stop by. I wish them well.

After seeing the lines forming outside the Royal Treat for breakfast, we gave them a try one day. The Royal Treat serves standard breakfast fare and delivered well prepared food, but I am not sure I would stand in the line that forms at the front door of folks waiting for a table (we got there early). There is only so much you can do with eggs and pancakes. The only oddity here is that most egg dishes do not automatically come with home fries, which need to be ordered a la carte. If you visit, you should be warned that it is cash or traveler's checks only.

With all that walking and eating out of the way, it would be time to hit the beach. But, inevitably, hunger would soon return.

Sitting at the bar at Obie's by the Sea I mentioned to the bartender that i need to satisfy a request to find a place that served grilled cheese and french fries. He said he understood and gets the same request from his son at least once a week. He suggested we head over to Arenas in the Village By The Sea alley. That was good enough for me. The place is obviously popular and was mostly full during both of our visits. The food portions for some items are generous if bordering on preposterously large. Three of us could barely make a dent in the shrimp nachos appetizer we ordered. On another visit, the pulled pork special on the chalkboard was actually two sandwiches. All in all a decent lunch place, even if they did serve us frozen mozzarella sticks during one visit.

On another afternoon, I slipped out to the bar at Jakes for a couple of beers and a late lunch. I agree with the comment above about the seafood bisque. It was incredibly rich and jam packed with fresh seafood. Coupled with a half dozen blue points and a couple of pints of a Yards ale, it made for a satisfying lunch. We made it back for dinner that same evening and I particularly enjoyed Rose's Rockfish, which is a simple preparation broiled in a white wine sauce with chopped tomatoes, celery, and onion, It was almost a stew, with a nice rustic feel.

One night I tried to vector the group to Stingray, a self-described sushi bar and asian latino grill that was highly recommended by the bartender at Jakes, but we ended up at The Cultured Pearl instead. The kids have recently taken to sushi, but their tastes are still limited. Nevertheless, I did get at least one of them to try something that was not tuna or salmon. I also had a few tastes of the shrimp and vegetable tempura, which I thought was particularly well prepared.

On our final evening we ended up at Ristorante Zebra. It is in a pleasant location in a Victorian House on a quiet street directly across from Stingray. I found the interior decorations to be somewhat odd for an Italian restaurant, with paintings and murals with zebra and giraffe motifs. The first five photos on this page are pictures of the interior. The food was solid and traditional if unremarkable. I would definitely venture back. There were some families with children, but I was left with the overall impression that this is the type of place that you bring your parents to (or your grandparents). BTW, we found that the half portions of pasta were more than ample as mains, especially if you had appetizers, but I have a suspicion we may eat lighter than most.

I would like to give a final hat's off to Bin 66, the only liquor store in downtown Rehoboth. It does not have an extensive selection, but I was able to find some wines that I had previously purchased from Arrowine to enjoy back at the hotel in the evening.

​Bethany; Rehoboth

My long, well thought out post will forever remain lost due to some technical issue that I will never be able to explain. So, here is the short version.

Henlopen City Oyster House is the best restaurant in Rehoboth, killer choices at the bar, amazing food, overpriced wine list (for the beach) that at least has good selections.

Maureen's in Bethany is easily our favorite place to grab dessert, which generally consists of ice cream.

Surf's Up still makes great steak and cheese subs.

Rehoboth

I have a history of eating poorly in Rehoboth Beach - e.g., too much mediocre fried fish, and too many places attempting a hip nightclub vibe along with overpriced food.

Did better this weekend with a couple of places that were new to me.

Shorebreak Lodge (http://shorebreaklodge.tumblr.com) for dinner - don't mean to oversell it, but it was a nice place attempting a (sorry) "foodie" vibe, striving for simplicity and good preparation.

For breakfast, Greenman (http://www.greenmanjuicebar.com/ordereze/Content/2/Summary.aspx) - juice bar, quiches, waffles, etc. - a little cramped but a friendly place that makes you feel better than if you'd eaten too many greasy potatoes at the Crystal Diner.

Rehoboth

I've never eaten at a(muse) in Rehoboth, but my girlfriend sent me these photos. She loved it, and I'm looking forward to trying it at some point this summer.

11 course tasting for $111...at A(muse). Momofuku Ko's 10 course dinner is only $125 (and they have 2 Michelin stars). If the clientele is mostly from DC, maybe they won't realize how expensive this place is.

Rehoboth

Had lots of seafood this weekend, starting with Henlopen City Oyster House in Rehoboth. I started with a sampler platter of oysters, 8 for $16, one of each kind they carry. I decided not to touch any of the condiments (mignonette, horseradish, and cocktail sauce) and just slurp them down. I'm actually surprised at how briny they all were, but they were fresh and tasty. Next I had some steamed middleneck clams with garlic, butter, and some red chili flakes - again, fresh and tasty. Next I had some fried oysters ($9) - why are fried oysters cheaper than freshly shucked oysters? Very nice oysters. Finally I had a heaping platter of fried clam strips that I could not possibly finish ($8). I'm pretty sure the clam strips were made in-house but it wasn't anything spectacular. For simple seafood preparation, Henlopen is very good. I did overhear that they will stop serving lunch at the end of March (during the high tourist season).

For dinner I went to a(Muse). Unfortunately I didn't find the seasonal menu all that exciting. My first dish is kale, which turned out to be a salad. I was thinking something braised because raw kale is not really edible in my book. I took a couple of bites and stopped eating. My server noticed that I didn't finish it and offered to replace it with something else. I must acknowledge that's a very hospital thing to do, although I didn't get anything else and paid for the kale because I ordered it. I also didn't think to ask her how the kale was prepared. I did ask about the fluke and the perch. Fluke was served "crudo style" but it was cooked - so I'm not sure why it's served crudo style. At first I thought it was cooked by heat but in retrospect, it could've been cooked by citrus juice (but it wasn't very citrusy tasting). The fluke wasn't bad, just not what I expected. The third dish was a whole perch - simply seasoned (salt) and grilled nicely - but ultimately boring. After 3 dishes, I added a potted chicken, which was pretty good and with some bread, filling.

post-4391-0-52618400-1362941457_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-86370500-1362941474_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-49911800-1362941486_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-91304000-1362941496_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-92282700-1362941510_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-01092300-1362941525_thumb.jp

Bethany Beach

Even though my family has been coming to Bethany Beach on and off for 20+ years, we have never really gone to any "fine dining" establishments in town. Maybe we hit up Patsy's once or twice, but we usually head up to Rehoboth to get our fix. But, now that we have a one year old, and even the 20 minute drive each way can seem daunting, we searched for a local spot that would be on par with what Rehoboth has to offer.

After some quick research, we settled on 14 Global, right next to the post office off of Bethany's main drag. It is tiny and crammed, but the food was spot on, WAY better than we expected. Duck confit and shaved asparagus salad, venison sliders, corn pone bread, short rib and lobster tacos. All were pretty much home runs. Well made cocktails, solid wine list. Service was mostly good as well, although a bit scattered as the night went on (servers were leaving as the crowd dwindled). The only downside to the meal was dessert - peanut butter cheesecake with bananas and chocolate - and it was a BIG downside. It was almost as if it came from another restaurant, completely unappetizing. Whatever, I had eaten ice cream every day so far at the beach, don't need another dessert anyway. So, in the end, this is a huge plus for the Bethany Beach area.

Later that night we stopped by Beach Liquors - southern tip of Bethany proper, right off Route 1, next to the CVS - to get some red wine for sangria the next day. I figured we would find something serviceable, but was SHOCKED to find an awesome wine selection. They even had a temperature controlled room with a lock on it to keep the good stuff (and there was a lot of it). Prices were cheap, compared to many stores in Northern Virginia, and I am telling you that the variety was super impressive. I may stop back by to stock up on the way home.

Two unexpected gems in Bethany.

Rehoboth

With most restaurants jammed the night of July 3rd, we stopped by Cabo (in the old Porcini House location) for some Mexican food. It is almost impossible for me to believe that this place is owned by the same person/group as Espuma because Cabo, in a word (or maybe two), is downright awful.

We got there early (5:30 PM) because we had our one year old with us. Service was comical from the beginning, several servers running around like chickens with their heads cut off in a restaurant that was maybe 30-50% full the entire time we were there. It was crazy, they weren't just auctioning off plates at the tables, they would walk into a room (I would say that our room had eight tables, four of which were taken) and say, "Who ordered the burrito?" Are you freakin kidding me!? Do you know how many people in a room in a Mexican restaurant might order a burrito or a taco or an enchilada!?

Anyway, drink orders (a variety of margaritas) were placed within minutes of sitting down, but took a while to come out. They tasted awful. They weren't too sweet, which was good, but lacked any real flavor whatsoever. Our appetizer was a dip trio (guacamole, queso, salsa) seemingly straight out of a jar served with maybe 20 tortilla chips. It took us a while to get some more, but I'm not sure why we bothered when the dips were so bad. Dinner came a cool one hour and twenty minutes after we ordered it, awesome when you have a one year old with you. All the food was terrible.

One of our servers (we seemed to have about five, but no one was actually focused on anything) finally realized that it was a shit show and came over to apologize to us. She told us that there was only one chef in the kitchen, the rest of the staff called in sick. Maybe you should put a sign at your host(ess) stand that says, "Be forewarned that we only have one chef and a bunch of clueless servers tonight, your experience will suck, but we will still charge you the same amount for your food as if we actually had a clue what we are doing." When she gave us the check, she brought a random drink out to us (not one that we had ordered before) and said that it was "on her" because the night was so bad. Gee, thanks.

Third time in my life that I have not given a tip - the previous two were a Waffle House in Kansas City and The Crabhouse in Fair Lakes (before it became Joe's Crab Shack). Cabo was the worst of all those experiences.

PS: This is a serious question. If you kitchen staff is essentially MIA on a night, do you still open the restaurant, pretend that everything is OK, all the while knowing that your customers are going to be screwed?

Decided to book a last-minute trip to Lewes for the July 4th weekend - did you know Dogfish Head has a hotel now??? I'm pretty excited, especially since pup gets to go, too.  We'll have to get up early and stay up late to get him some beach time, but it will be worth it to see his happy little Muppet-face.  :lol:

Other than the Dogfish Head brewpub, any thoughts on places to get some decent beer and food?  Outdoor/dog-friendly seating is an extra plus.

Decided to book a last-minute trip to Lewes for the July 4th weekend - did you know Dogfish Head has a hotel now??? I'm pretty excited, especially since pup gets to go, too.  We'll have to get up early and stay up late to get him some beach time, but it will be worth it to see his happy little Muppet-face.  :lol:

Other than the Dogfish Head brewpub, any thoughts on places to get some decent beer and food?  Outdoor/dog-friendly seating is an extra plus.

I wonder if this is owned by the brewpub, or if they just lease out their name like they do with the DC-area restaurants.

I remember lambasting them for rip-off pricing on their growlers, but then they wrote me and said they have no managerial control over the restaurants; only a naming agreement.

And my empty growler still sits on my kitchen shelf.

It is my understanding that the hotel is owned by the founder of Dogfish (so, Dogfish).  He said he was seeing all these people coming to his brewery from out of state, so he felt like there was a market for another hotel in the area.  Apparently they gutted an existing motel and really spent some time/effort on the design - I am looking forward to checking it out.

Rehoboth

Jake's Seafood (downtown location) was recommended to us as one of the best seafood places in Rehoboth. To be honest, we left rather disappointed. The meal started off promising, with a really tasty Seafood Bisque. It tended toward the thick side, but I'm not against that. It also had quite a bit of fish in it. The mains were where the problems lied. My fried flounder fish sandwich was basically tasteless. It was a battered and fried piece of flounder, but it didn't taste like anything. Moreover it was served on a terrible bun, that was a puffy piece of nothing. Even the tartar sauce was bland. The lack of taste was a common refrain around the table. Oy!

Bethany Beach

Off The Hook. We had a great meal here. This is a small restaurant that seems to cater more to locals than tourists. It's a farm to table type restaurant, which I always interpret as good, fresh food, with small portions. Well, the portions at this place were enormous. I focused on the seafood, getting mussels as an app and a cioppino for my main. Both had ample mussels/fish, and a tasty broth for dipping. The cioppino itself had mussels, clams, salmon, monk fish (?), shrimp, and slices of chorizo. That's a lot of fish! The homemade rolls (toll house?) served in a touch of oil were a nice compliment. Prices were reasonable. Everyone left very satisfied.

Rehoboth

Had two very good and moderately priced meals in Rehoboth this past week.  Henlopen City Oyster House never fails to please as I had some delicious oysters as well as a pretty good clam po'boy.  We also went to Pig & Fish for the first time and really enjoyed it.  The fish and chips were awesome as was a refreshing cold Thai melon soup.  Both places also have excellent craft brew options that paired well with the food.

Rehoboth

Snuck away to the beach for a couple of days a week ago and had two pretty good meals in Rehoboth- Henlopen City Oyster House had delicious oysters( several varieties to choose from), excellent steamed soft shelled clams which are not easy to find down south here), and I asked for the soft shelled crabs to be sautéed and they were delicious .
Second meal was at a new restaurant out on the highway next to the Food Lion- Michys Relaxed Dining- free parking, they take reservations and have really good food- from burgers to pork chops to steak - warm bread and good desserts. Friendly service, owner /chef good informal atmosphere and worth the drive out of congested Rehoboth for a really good meal.

Bethany

I'll second the recommendation for 14Global. The cocktails were very good and occasionally original. I enjoyed The Dragon, which was essentially a rocks margarita with habenero-infused tequila, and it lasted me the entire meal. Others in my group got different cocktails and were mostly impressed. If I were to knock the cocktail service, I'd say the fact that each drink came out about 2-3 minutes after the previous one seemed off-putting. Do you wait to taste yours until everyone gets theirs? Do you drink yours while everyone stares at you wishing they had a drink, too?

We ordered a couple of apps to share. The crab dip was enjoyed by all, but to be honest it doesn't stand out in my memory (from 4 days ago, admittedly). I have to comment on the "Corn Pone Bread- Aged white cheddar & bacon infused pone, with agave & cinnamon lime butter." Now, maybe I don't know what corn pone is, but when I grew up in SC it essentially meant "cornbread." 14Global's corn pone is a rectangle of fried, thick corn mush which is soaked in sweet butter. I ate it and I liked it, but it was really more of a dessert. I expected cornbread with a side of sweet compound butter. Not so much.

The gluten-free eater in the group was very happy with the number of options she had and enjoyed the scallops she ordered. I had the "Pan Seared Halibut- Alaskan halibut, served with a sweet peach and spicy habanero compote, with a puree of celery root and Yukon potato accompanied by pan roasted purple cauliflower". I don't say this often, but the fish was oversalted! I love salt, but this was too much. The "compote" had a nice bite to it, but it was very, very sweet and when combined with the very salty fish, the components didn't complement each other well at all. Mrs DrX had the "Black Garlic Crab Ravioli- Black Garlic infused pasta filled with lump crab, shallot, ricotta, and mascarpone cheese, with asparagus & lemon-dill cream sauce" which she didn't stop raving about until the next day. The flavors were terrific and the pasta was cooked perfectly.

Rehoboth

Two weeks ago, we went for  a long weekend. I have nothing new to add to the many laudatory posts on the Henlopen City Oyster House. It continues to be very good. I was impressed by their raw oyster service and discovered a new favorite: Stadish Shore from Duxbury, MA (http://www.standishshoreoysters.com/).

The entrees we had at The Pig and Fish were every bit as good as those at Henlopen City Oyster House. We focused on the fresh catch section of the dinner specials menu. They offer about a half dozen different fish and shell fish with two preparations from which to choose. We enjoyed halibut with polenta cake and pesto. The fillet was a generous portion, and well prepared, justifying the $28 price of entry. The polenta  cake was also good and too large for me to finish. We sat in the front room where the bar is. It can get loud when crowded (all hard surfaces). There is a back room that is probably quieter. 

We're heading out to Bethany Beach for a week this Saturday.  Any recommendations on low to mid range places in Bethany, Rehoboth, Fenwick Island?  Yes, we're travelling with two teenage boys and my MIL so high end places are out.      Thanks.

We're heading out to Bethany Beach for a week this Saturday.  Any recommendations on low to mid range places in Bethany, Rehoboth, Fenwick Island?  Yes, we're travelling with two teenage boys and my MIL so high end places are out.      Thanks.

in Betheny-Betheny Blues BBQ. Good food and perfect for families. Keep in mind most places at the beach don't take reservations. Rehoboth-Big Fish Grill, Salt Air, Lupos Italian Kitchen, Fins for oysters, food is mixed however.Henlopen Oyster House. EDIT: I guess I was too late but good for next trip.

in Betheny-Betheny Blues BBQ. Good food and perfect for families. Keep in mind most places at the beach don't take reservations. Rehoboth-Big Fish Grill, Salt Air, Lupos Italian Kitchen, Fins for oysters, food is mixed however.Henlopen Oyster House. EDIT: I guess I was too late but good for next trip.

Thanks for the suggestions.  We did fit FINS which we liked a lot, including the oysters.

Our family is about to take our annual beach trip to Bethany beach.  I'm wondering if anyone has a go-to suggestion for a fish market? Anywhere along the beach in Maryland or DE is fine (I'm willing to drive a bit for great quality fish). 

I should add that I live around the corner from Black Salt in the Palisades and grew up along the coast in Florida, so I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to fresh seafood.  I just feel like I've never been able to find a consistently good fish market close to Bethany.... I'm really just looking for a spot that gets daily fish delivered from local fishermen.