7 minutes ago, mr food said:

There are several fish markets along Route 1 in Rehoboth. I grilled some delicious Mexican grouper from Big Fish Market this past weekend. Best deal might be the seafood at Giant-the guy knows his fish. 

We prefer Rehoboth Seafood Market, the little shack in the parking lot right next to Big Fish. They seem to have a better eye on truly local product than Big Fish.  

We'll have to check out the Giant this summer, thanks for the tip!

Any newer favorites? Anyone been to 208 Social, Bramble & Brine or Pig and Fish or Salt Air or a(Muse) lately? Planning on going to Rehoboth maybe next month.... thanks!

I can only say about Salt Air that if you don't get into Henlopen Oyster, it's not a bad spot. It's huge and they usually can seat you. Nothing to write home about but above the level of most of the joints in the area.

Henlopen gets crowded early (like at 5).  The locals hit it for happy hour and then it stays packed for the dinner crowd (and that's during the offseason, I don't go to the beach until after Labor Day).  Henlopen is great for sucking down oysters.  Their selection is better than any DC area restaurant that I know of. 

The other restaurant that I like in downtown Rehoboth is Lupo. 

Lupo remains our all around favorite and a dinner there this week confirmed it. Pasta now made all in house and it shows. Try the lobster bucatini; pasta is half price on Wednesday so $13 for this tasty dish. Unfortunately, the wine list while broad has crept up in price so I stuck to beer. I need to get back to Henlopen, last couple of visits I enjoyed the oysters but wasn't particularly impressed otherwise. I like Salt Air. The best crab cake in the immediate area resides at Woodys in Dewey. Typical DB loud  bar so always carryout for moi. $29 for two large cakes with basically no filler and two sides.

Any notable places in Dewey that are also dog-friendly?  We will be going in a few weeks, and on the day we arrive, we will have the pup in the car but can't get into our rental until 3 pm.  Would be nice to have a leisurely lunch somewhere close to Dewey town hall (where I have to get the doggie's beach license).

• Like 1

I'll report back with pictures and stuff later, but here is a short report - 

Bramble & Brine - really great. While away from the beach a goodly bit, it is worth the easy walk down the main drag. Really good cocktails, nice wine list. Very nice space. We opted for two starters each, then an entree each, and dessert. Honestly, the entrees, while good, were not up to the quality of the starters or desserts, but I am not really complaining - I just might order differently next time. Only other minor nit was the pacing was a smidge off as they got busy and the three FOH staff tried to keep up. In the end, this was a great meal and I will gladly go back.

a(muse) - We accidentally ate here (more on that below). What good luck we had though! A great waiter (who really knows his cheese, by the way) and a pretty eclectic and adventurous menu that wishes I had two stomachs. Cocktails were good enough, but they could use help there. Other than that (and a minor faux pas on the wine service), there was only a minor pacing issue when we got to the mains. But the cheese course more than made up for these minor bits. a jar of pickled good bits with grilled bread, dehydrated mustard and other stuff was good, but really meant to share for two IMHO. The sardines dressed up and presented in a can was wonderful. The tartare with house made potato chips was great. The smoked beef tongue on bread with plum and pickled shallots was super. The lobster 'risotto' could have used a little editing of the greens that came out on top but was really delicious and perfectly cooked. The cheicken came out with perfectly crispy skin and was underpinned by corn, hierloom tomatoes, and (too many) charred jalapeno peppers (again, that should have been edited down a bit), was quite good. And the waiter was quite knowledgeable about the cheese selections (they had maybe 15-18 choices, too) - and it made for a fantastic finish to the dinner. I'll be back.

Side note - We originally were slated to go back to Espuma, Jay Caputo's place that we had been to several times ofver the past 10 years, always with good results. It had been about 3 years since we had been back and we were looking forward to go again and got reservations. We show up and the place was not open. On the first Saturday night after Labor Day. No sign on the door. Website is still up. Open Table shows them still open and taking reservations. But you call the number and nothing. We found our way that evening, to a(muse) instead, and were happy that happened. Still this bugged me. So here I am googling around to see WTF is going on. I knew Caputo, the chef/owner, took over the old Chez La Mer space after it closed to create Porcini House. We had a memorable brunch on the roof deck there maybe 6 years ago. That must have closed as some Fenwick Island place called Papa Grande's is there now (to decidedly sub par reviews). ANYway, Caputo got involved with another Rehoboth Beach place called Beachside Bar & Grill (opened a bit over a year ago, and he left almost exactly a year later (about 2 months ago), which is still there, but he is no longer involved with it. Caputo has apparently moved to another restaurant instead, no longer having any interest in any still operating restaurant in Rehoboth Beach (since yes, Espuma is permanently closed (happened sometime between September 4 and yesterday from what my sleuthing tells me)). He now heads a place called Pilot Town Fish Company in nearby Milton, DE. 

Honestly, I know restaurants come and go. They even close without warning. But if you shut down, do the courtesy to your pending reservation holders to cancel their reservations and otherwise eliminate other elements of appearing OPEN. <sigh>

I'm not going to repeat gossip but there's more to the story behind espuma closing. I like a(muse) but overly foodie for moi. Too many ingredients that don't meld well in some dishes. We had a lovely dinner Saturday at Lupo in the Rehoboth Hotel. This remains my overall favorite in RB.

Prior to Lupo, we had cocktails at Bramble and Vine. Palma took excellent care of us despite being somewhat slammed and new to the establishment. She (and I agree) does not like their policy of measured pours for all drinks. Slows things down and my old fashioned while well made needed more bourbon.

We dined at Blue Hen recently-liked not loved it. Service was off but friendly.  First time I've seen rabbit on a beach menu. Charcuterie platter was pretty good. Very loud space-I hate yelling at my dinner companions. We'll probably get back at some point but not a top priority. We did have at good meal at Dewey Beer Company in Dewey-duh. Short menu but all dishes well prepared. Team service well done and there are a few parking spots on the side. My niece and nephew enjoyed the beer brewed in house. Wine list not overly priced-Cline rose a bit sweet but refreshing on a hot day. 

Just noticed this thread. Some quick hits from our August beach visit:

1. Po Boys in Milton: Should be a must for everyone who spends more than a day or so at the beach.

2. Vanderwende Farm, Route 404: Consensus was the ice cream not as good as Hopkins Farm. The cows were great, though.

3. Palate, Route 1: Nice adult setting and clientele. Food on the adventurous side and very good. Crab bruschetta was a standout.

4. Lupo: Excellent as always

5. FINS: Solid seafood joint. Good if you want that beachy vibe.

6. Jimmy's Grille, Bridgeville: Still a great spot for a meal on way to or from the beach. Love the fried chicken, baked goods, and wide array of sides such as corn pudding. Can't speak to the other locations (And have seen pretty mediocre reviews of them).

• Like 1

Was back in Rehoboth last weekend - beautiful weather.

Cafe Pappillon - Great crepes. Savories are good, but their more desserty crepes are even better. I especially recommend the Brown Sugar, banana and sour cream one. It would be even better if they pan caramelized the bananas in butter, but I digress.

a(Muse) is still quite good and we dined al fresco because the weather was perfect. Solid cocktails. Their pimento cheese starter was good and spicier than I expected. Their sweetbreads were good and I've never had them spicy before. Softshell crab with chow chow was good for sure. Duck entree and especially the halibut were very good. Will definitely be back.

Henlopen City Oyster House - Noisy and crowded early (but if you do not want to wait for a table, early  arrival is a must). Decent cocktails.Oysters were very good (tried 8 kinds raw), as were the oysters rockefeller. The fish dish we had (I think it was red fish) was quite good. The Bouillabaisse was fine, but the broth was too tomatoey and not nearly 'fishy' as one would hope. The shrimp were complete rubber (note: to do the shrimp right, drop them in after plating and wait a few minutes - they'll cook enough in the broth just so). I'd go back for the oysters and fish for sure.

Back Porch Cafe - Excellent service and a great dinner all around. Really good food, nice selection of wines and attentive service and fun. Their cocktail menu is quite limited, though. Just ask for something else that is not on their list and they'll do a fine enough job. I'll be back.

Rehoboth:

Had dinner at the Blue Hen on Saturday.

The a5 wagyu NY strip and the  seared foie gras were delicious.  

The smorgasboard (poached lobster tail, beet cured salmon, smoked salmon, smoked scallops, trout roe, tuna conserva, poached shrimp) was not my cup o' tea.

The fried chicken was heavily battered and pretty good - something the kids would eat if nothing else catches their fancy (as it turns out, they scarfed down 2 orders of the wagyu beef).  They also liked the mac 'n cheese, and I'm happy eating some collards.

Bethany last weekend. Dinner at Patsy's in downtown Bethany was very good.  4 of us all had different dishes and there were clean plates all around.  I have a tempura fired whole fish and it was so good I wish I had two.  My wife had blackened Tile Fish, well prepared and tasty though light on real hot seasoning.

I am heading to Rehoboth in September so I was doing a little recon here for anything new. What I did find out however is that Bramble & Brine and 208 Social are both permanently closed. 208 Social was fantastic. I never made it to B&B.

Lupo has a few 2 tops outside so we ate indoors early.  They did a good job of spacing the tables.  The pastas were al dente, the rapini was garlicky, not fancy but well executed.

We stayed at Hotel Rehoboth, where Lupo is housed.  Very nicely furnished but the windows are not sound proof at all.  Bring ear plugs if you plan on staying here.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 11:21 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Lupo has a few 2 tops outside so we ate indoors early.  They did a good job of spacing the tables.  The pastas were al dente, the rapini was garlicky, not fancy but well executed.

We stayed at Hotel Rehoboth, where Lupo is housed.  Very nicely furnished but the windows are not sound proof at all.  Bring ear plugs if you plan on staying here.

Glad to hear Lupo is still good. During our recent visit to RB, our Sodel choice was Matt's Fish Camp in Lewes. Here is what I wrote on Yelp: 

4/5 stars
9/8/2020

Really enjoyed our dinner from Matt's with one glaring exception: the heirloom tomato salad was just awful. Big random chunks of cottony tomatoes were appealing to neither the eye nor the palate. Everything else was up to Matt's usual standards. Just avoid that salad!

Lewes, DE

We did a change of scenery escape half week in Lewes, DE, renting a super cute Airbnb situated along the main drag of Lewes.  It had its own entrance with a key pad entry, second floor walk up, with a large bedroom on the third floor.  One of the owners of the apartment also owns the store on the ground floor.  Basically, zero contact.  Lewes has a mandatory mask wearing policy throughout the historic district and the vast majority of people were in compliance.  It was also March midweek, so there weren't that many people around....quiet.  Most businesses were open with varying hours so make sure you check business websites for the lastest info.  That said, pretty much everything was closed by 8 or 9pm.  So plan accordingly!  Did I mention...quiet.

The restaurants were objectively...ok.  Solid for a small beach town and you will be able to eat decently, but perhaps not great.

Agave Mexican:  One of the few places open everyday of the week.  The queso and chips was good, weirdly very good tortilla chips.  We ended up with three bags and they stayed good all week.  They speacialize in off-the-wall guac combinations.  We went with shrimp and garlic, think guac mixed with diced up shrimp.  Unfortunately, the guac needed a hit of salt and lime.  The veg quesadilla was fine and the fish tacos were nice, except for the underseasoned fish.  The to-go margaritas hit the spot.  I wouldn't say Agave is great Mexican or authentic (despite what their website claims) but it did the trick.

Jerry's Seafood: Almost directly across the street for our Airbnb, so we went for it.  Overall, pretty mediocre.  The fried calamari suffered from steaming in the to-go container, but was otherwise nicely fried.  The crab bomb was disappointing, lots of mayo involved, served with half cooked "seasonal" vegetables and stiff, leaden mash potatoes. 

Half Full Pizza:  Our take was fancy &Pizza style pizza.  Not great but not terrible.

Nectar Cafe and Juice Bar:  Decor is beach cottage hip.  Good freshly made juices. Perfect for grab and go for the beach.  We ordered a juice every day.

Notting Hill Coffee:  These guys make a good cup.  Nice selection of rotating pastries.  Picked up some roasted coffee beans to go.   

The Station on Kings:  Super cute cafe, home goods, and gardening store just outside of town.  Good sized patio and outdoor area for dining.  Order at the counter and they bring your food out.  Good fried chicken sandwich, veg quiche, and baked goods.  Definitely our favorite place to eat while in Lewes.

Big Oyster Brewery:  Good sized brewery/brew pub with a well stocked grab-and-go beer case by the front door.  I picked up their Dang! and Hammerhead IPA.  Neither are outstanding but both are solid beers that I would be happy to drink while in Lewes. 

Other stuff

Lewes Beach - Lewes has a nice public beach for walking along.  It's not a particularly wide beach, from dune to waterline, but it is a long crescent shaped beach, over a mile and half long.  Low tide was nice with lots of sand bars and tidal areas.  It was the middle of March so the beach was empty.  Can't beat sitting out and eating lunch, with the beach to yourself on a 65 degree day.    

Prime Hook State Wildlife Preserve:  About 20 minutes back up the bay.  A nice wildlife preserve with several walking paths.  A good way to spend a couple of hours out in nature.

Cape Henlopen State Park:  Very nice state park.  Head north to The Point for beaches on either the bay side or the ocean side.  The ocean side beach is lovely.  Head south for the excellent Gordon Pond nature trail.  It's our understanding that during the summer weekends/holidays the beaches get crowded, especially the surf fishing beaches where people drive their trucks on to the beach.  

Waves Car Wash:  Yeah, a weird recommendation but damn my car needed a bath.  $10 for a no contact exterior wash:  you pay at a drive thru kiosk and stay in your car the whole time.   

• Like 4

On December 4, my wife and I enjoyed a nice meal at Henlopen Oyster House in Rehoboth. Naturally, the oysters were of the highest quality, and we enjoyed a few dozen of various kinds. The house special kumamoto oysters were very nice, but we also had some plump and briny Chesapeake oysters that we thoroughly enjoyed.

After we downed about 4 dozen oysters, we veered into other parts of the menu, and I went for the fried cod cheeks. They were delicious, and fresh out of the fryer, so they were hot. We both raved about this treat and pledged to order the cod cheeks whenever we see them on menus in the future.

Rehoboth and Bethany

Years ago, there's a Mexican place on Route 1 call La Tolteca.  They served the type of Mexican combinations I grew up eating in Atlanta.  Now it's called La Tonalteca - they no longer have a 3 item combo like burrito, enchilada and taco.  (La Tonalteca's been there for years, the name change or takeover happenede many years ago)  We stopped in on the way there and it just didn't taste all that good.  The fajita is a beef stir-fry as opposed to grilled steak that's sliced.  

Having not had a decent Italian sub for years (tried Italian Store, A Litteri, Di Pascuale's in Baltimore), I went Casapulla's.  I had been to Al Casapulla's near Bethany and their Italian was terrific.  Casapulla's in Rehoboth makes the sub the same way and it was delicious.  

Wanted to go to Henlopen Oyster for dinner but it had a 45 minute wait so we went to Salt Air.  Salt Air is a distant second to Henlopen Oyster.  Their "Bolognese" is just marinara with ground beef. 

Took the kids to Bethany on the following day.  Had brunch at Bethany Blues BBQ.  We ordered the special, chocolate Belgian waffle.  A normal cold waffle came out and we had to ask for syrup.  The menu says kids items comes with a side of fresh fruit.  We didn't get it and we asked for it.  The response is it doesn't come with fresh fruit.  WTF - then fix your menu.  The St. Louis ribs were edible.

Lastly, we went to Confucious because the kids wanted dumplings.  I find the place expensive and mediocre.  6 smallish dumplings for $11.  $12 for 5 pieces of rubbery salt and pepper squid.  

Back in November (sorry for not posting sooner) we had a nice lunch at nalusurfbar.com. I was pleasantly surprised. I think all in our party of 5 ordered tacos, so we didn't go deep into the menu, but everyone was pleased with their meal. Choice of beers on tap was limited but good (of course they had one or two Dogfish brews) and the cocktail list was decent. We also dined at the Dogfish restaurant that week and the food there is fine for what it is, but if I had to choose between the two, I think I would opt for Nalu.

My better half and I have been going back and forth between Silver Spring and Rehoboth for many years.  We are super fortunate to have a place to lay our heads at both places, and spend more time dining out along the Delaware shore than the DC areas the last several years. 

Henlopen Oyster House has been one of our favorites since the owners split off from Fins more than a decade ago.  Chris and Joe have run a great ship ever since, with very little staff turnover in the last 5 years or so and it shows.  The folks there make you feel at home, and we have never had a bad experience in the time we have spent there.

That being said, there are many great things happening along the Delaware shoreline.  And there are quite a few spots in Lewes and Rehoboth to pick from.  SoDel Concepts has garnered a very nice collection of establishments, both organic and acquired (Lupo, BlueCoast, Thompson Island, Fish On, Matt's Fish Camp, Catch 54, Papa Grande's, Surf Bagel, Crust and Craft, among others).  And they have a very creative pastry chef staff that creates some very tasty ways to begin or end your meal, depending on your vacation vibe while in the area.  Heirloom, Raas, Kindle, Agave and Half Full are all wonderful spots to land for a great meal in downtown Lewes, and Pig & Publican along with Harvest Tide Steakhouse are just on the beach side of Lewes as well.

And Rehoboth/Lewes is not the only destination.  The Fenwick Island area has supported a couple of shining stars.  Our Harvest and One Coastal are setting new trends in preparation, presentation and mixology on the coast.  

So many spots to make a great weekend, or week-long destination of some very nice dining options.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lewes, DE

Back from several days in Lewes.  The town seemed a little more lively this year, but by 8pm or so still eeire quiet.  For the most part, many of the shops and restaurants have survived.  Jerry's Seafood has closed and is being replaced by an oyster bar, and whatever restaurant was located in the large house when you first turn onto 2nd Street is now Bramble & Brine, which appeared to be modernish Southern American.    

Notting Hill Coffee - Good coffee and excellent sticky buns.  Worth a morning visit.

Agave - Good margaritas and queso and chips.  Their guacs with added stuff are just not great.  Pine nuts and goat cheese add nothing to guac and the basic guac itself needs salt and lime.  Their veg offerings are not good, the veg burrito was a hot mess and the rice and beans a little undercooked.  The fish tacos are tasty in a way overstuffed and messy fashion.  Maybe their meat dishes are better?

Half Full - This place should be better than it is.  The pizzas are pretty much like &Pizza in style but the bottom crust is pale and limp, yet the side and top crust has char...it's like they need to fix their oven temps or somthing.  Their style of pizza needs to be crispier and it's not. 

Touch of Italy - We overlooked this place last time.  Vibe is kinda like if Vace had a wood fired oven and small dining area and bar.  At the entrance is a small area with a handful of Italian groceries and then a counter with olives, cheeses, and a dessert case, the restaurant area has maybe 8 or so tables and is to the right.  Good chewy pine nut cookies.  We ordered some fried calamri to go and it was a solid effort (it was packaged in a to-go container so that never helps with fried food) with a pretty good marinara sauce.  I'd say this place is worthy of further exploration. 

Heirloom - The last night we booked a table at Hierloom.  We started with a nice cheese board featuring four goat cheeses and it came with numerous chutneys, pickles, dried fruits and nuts.  If you like a well presented cheese board, definitely consider their offerings.  The blood orange Negroni was a nice cocktail but lacked the bitter punch of a good Negroni, so was it really a Negroni or just a nice cocktail?  The Mushroom Scrapple was just ok, the scrapple itself didn't have much flavor other than being "savory" and it did paired well with the french toast, but if you had put the plate in front of me without telling me what it was, would I be like ahhh, a mushroom riff on scrapple?  No, not really.  The Housemade Espresso Chittara Pasta...well lets say I know that the hot honey thing is all the rage right now, but unless you are watching the movie Elf, pasta should not be sweet.  The pasta itself was nicely made and I would consider ordering the pasta again if it was presented differently.  The Butter Basted Maine Monkfish was all over the place.  The monkfish was nicely cooked although underseasoned...and then it came with sweet potato and cauliflower hash, wilted Baywater Farm arugula, roasted shallots, sautéed oyster mushrooms, crispy celery root, caper cream...and the caper cream was overly salty, so the dish ended up being salty and bland at the same time.  I hate to knock a restaurant too hard with all the industry struggles right now, but given the price point and that they tout their James Beard credentials on the menu, I was expecting better. 

The Station on Kings - For the second year in the a row, by far the best place we visited.  The store is super cute with an Instagram worthy modern barn vibe.  The food is casual and straightforward but made with high quality ingredients and nicely plated.  And the bakery/dessert counter is great.  Plus they have a cool little garden center and nice patio seating.  I'd say the only draw back is it is on the outskirts of Lewes and not a convenient walk...or else we would have visted everyday. 

Cape Henlopen State Park - This is truly an excellent state park.  Really nice wide, long beach on the ocean side and a cool bayside beach along The Point, especially at low tide.  Good walking/hiking trails, I recommend the Gordon Pond nature trail (we saw migrating Tundra Swans, so cool) and the Walking Dunes trail with the Salt Marsh Spur trail, make sure you check out the other worldly Great Dune area (accessilbe via The Walking Dunes trail).  Entrance fee is $10 for out-of-state.       

• Like 4

Thought I'd check in a couple weeks after a brief trip to Dewey:

Dewey Beer

Had a quick lunch here after arriving in town.  Food was fine as fried beach fare, service was very friendly and I loved my 4oz taster of Swishy Pants.  Later returned for cans of Great View No Wifi.  Both very good examples of the hazy/NE IPA style.  They have many others if that isn't your thing.  

Lupo

Extensively reviewed on this site--ended up having to do carry out for reasons beyond my control.  All enjoyable examples of Eggplant Parm, Caccio E Pepe, etc.

Go Fish

Solid fish and chips, survived a 10 minute car ride admirably.

Nicola Pizza

I read it's on its way out, or at least down the road and out of the main Rehoboth drag.  Too bad, because I thought the personal pizza I shared with 9-yeah old on the sidewalk was greasy, cheesy heaven.   Cannolis were a little too sweet. 

Kaisy's Delight

Worth it for a well-made espresso with La Colombe beans alone.  Kaisy itself was interesting, maybe a tad sweet for my taste, but kids and yeahwife loved them.   Whole experience reminded me of getting aebleskiver in Solvang, CA. 

The Ice Cream Store

Should you wait in line in April for ice cream at the beach? If it's the place, yes.  

Vanderwende's Creamery

Pleasant stop on the way home, near the MD border.  

General impression of Dewey is that it remains very "quiet" in April, with very little in Dewey itself open, so be prepared for many quick trips up to Rehoboth.  

Cape Henlopen State Park

Large, lots of things going on, from some forest that I imagine would be rough in the summer, to military history including some sizable guns. Don't miss the point overlook.  

• Thanks 1

Keep the President's schedule in mind. If he's visiting his Rehoboth home, Cape Henlopen is basically closed. Add Michy's relaxed dining, Henlopen Oyster House and DiFebos to the reliable restaurants list. Salt Air gets mixed reviews and they just had an upheaval with their staff but we've had pleasant experiences there. Skip pizza here. Try a meatball sub from Frankie and Louies for a gut bomb tour de force. Nicola pizza ain't great but their signature nicoboli and spinoli (with spinach) are a local delicacy. A cold winter has meant great local oysters. Starboard Raw in Dewey along with the various Fins locations have happy hours and are our gotos.

Rehoboth

We usually go to Lewes for lunch but didn't see anything new or particularly good there so we ended up at Matt's Fish Camp.  I started with some nicely shucked oysters served with mignonette and cocktail sauce.  I didn't make the kids try them since it would just be a waste of money as they said they'd probably throw up.  Instead, they had some steamed clams and peel and eat shrimps.

We all shared a fried shrimp platter, which came with fries and cole slaw.  We also added two sides of smoked gouda mac 'n cheese and some kind of shredded brussels.

The shrimps were cooked perfectly in both preparations, and nicely seasoned.  The only thing lacking was the cole slaw, which didn't have much flavor. 

Dinner was at Lupo Italian Kitchen.  In addition to the regular menu, they had some daily specials including a rabbit terrine.  We had that and some fried calamaries to start.  We then had three pastas: cacio e pepe, mushroom campanelle, and rigatoni bolognese.  The bolognese was the big winner with al dente pasta and a flavorful sauce.  The cacio e pepe was too salty but that was probably my fault by adding more cheese table-side before I even tasted the pasta.  Neither the cacio e pepe and the campanelle were al dente so that's another slight knock.  Still the only Italian place that I'll eat at at the beach.

Also bought an Italian sub at Casapulla's on Saturday for taking home on Sunday.  It definitely came in handy as there was an hour long delay on the Bay Bridge because they shut down the east bound lanes for people to walk/run across the Bay Bridge.  Stupidest idea ever but that's just my opinion.  We ended up eating the sub in the parking lot of the Queenstown outlets.

10 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Dinner was at Lupo Italian Kitchen.  In addition to the regular menu, they had some daily specials including a rabbit terrine.  We had that and some fried calamaries to start.  We then had three pastas: cacio e pepe, mushroom campanelle, and rigatoni bolognese.  The bolognese was the big winner with al dente pasta and a flavorful sauce.  The cacio e pepe was too salty but that was probably my fault by adding more cheese table-side before I even tasted the pasta.  Neither the cacio e pepe and the campanelle were al dente so that's another slight knock.  Still the only Italian place that I'll eat at at the beach.

Is this affiliated with Lupo Verde?

47 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Although I don’t know the answer to this, “Lupo” is a very common family name in Italy (it means “Wolf” (which is of course a very common family name here)).

The pictures and descriptions on their website look really good for a beach restaurant.

'In bocca al lupo' means good luck in Italian - literally in the mouth of the wolf, which I'm not sure really makes much sense at all.  By wayward circumstance that began with a Spanish I first class taught entirely in Spanish with everyone in the room clearly speaking Spanish already (including two Puerto Ricans in the room!), I ended up studying Italian and even getting a degree in it.  Totally worth it to read Dante as it was written.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

It definitely came in handy as there was an hour long delay on the Bay Bridge because they shut down the east bound lanes for people to walk/run across the Bay Bridge.  Stupidest idea ever but that's just my opinion.  We ended up eating the sub in the parking lot of the Queenstown outlets.

Say hi next time. I ran the 10k across the bridge yesterday and went to the Queenstown outlets afterwards. 😆

• Like 1