Curry Mantra, Owner Asad Sheikh's Indian in Fairfax - Falls Church and Vienna Locations Have Closed

I was thinking something similar to the above about prices.  I already kind of thought of it as more high end Indian in terms of pricing, not that it wasn't worth it, I thought their food was really good, but my Hubby thought it was pretty overpriced for what it was.  But we will see I guess.  If the food is only slightly more expensive, but done in a high end way it could be interesting.  

I was thinking something similar to the above about prices.  I already kind of thought of it as more high end Indian in terms of pricing, not that it wasn't worth it, I thought their food was really good, but my Hubby thought it was pretty overpriced for what it was.  But we will see I guess.  If the food is only slightly more expensive, but done in a high end way it could be interesting.  

I suspect the owner will retain his best employees and reassign them, temporarily, to his other two restaurants.

Although I'm in a minority, I think that the best of these cooks are putting out better cuisine than Rasika (*), and second only to Passage To India in the area, so the odds of a "hit" at Curry Mantra and London Curry House are probably going to go up beginning this Saturday.

(*) Yes, I said it - somebody needed to.

• Like 1

Not surprised to hear about the CM3 in Vienna. I was there about 1.5 months ago, and when I left I thought to myself, I'm never going back. Why, when for 2 dollars more, I get a much better lunch buffet experience from Handi in Falls Church. The food has been slipping. I felt the location of CM3 was a mistake as that strip mall doesn't get the same type of traffic compared to 123/Main Street areas. 

• Like 1

We didn't love that our server appeared to take some of the food straight from the lunch buffet for our vegetarian thali platter, as my assumption was that anything ordered from the main menu would likely be made to order (and, indeed, some items were clearly lukewarm in temperature), but everything was tasty.  Sauces had good but not overwhelming heat, spicing was well-controlled overall.  So I suspect we'll be back if in the area.

Popped into my local Indian spot for takeout tonight, and learned that Curry Mantra is under new ownership. I don't have many details, but I understand the new owner, who I met briefly, is Nepali. That was evident in a one of the listed specials (new to Curry Mantra) which was Momos. They also offered onion bhaji, which is one of my sentimental favorites because of my time spent living in England.

Looking forward to some menu changes, even if they may take some time to appear.