Muscovado Sugar?

brr

La Cuisine in Alexandria has two different types.

I have been puzzling over the various types of "raw" or unrefined cane sugar in recent months. I had a recipe for a syrup that required demerara sugar, which I finally tracked down --and it is expensive. But I wonder--how different is that from muscovado, turbinado, and sucanat? And what is it that makes them different?

I have been puzzling over the various types of "raw" or unrefined cane sugar in recent months. I had a recipe for a syrup that required demerara sugar, which I finally tracked down --and it is expensive. But I wonder--how different is that from muscovado, turbinado, and sucanat? And what is it that makes them different?

Check it out.

I bought some turbinado sugar and made my oatmeal pecan raisin cookies this weekend.  I've made this recipe oodles of times, but this was the first time using turbinado sugar instead of regular, white granulated sugar.  The recipe typically yields 36 cookies.  This batch barely squeaked out 27.   There was a lot more moisture in them and they had to bake 4 minutes longer than usual.  Plus, they typically spread a bit and I was expecting, with higher moisture, a lot of spread, but surprisingly, I noticed almost no spread at all.   I couldn't tell any difference from a flavor perspective, but with the other flavors of the cookie, it would be difficult to pinpoint a different taste from the sugar used.  I will have to try it in a fairer comparison (a plain butter cookie or a yellow cake) to see if I like it enough to pay the difference in price for the turbinado v. regular granulated.