Freddy's Lobster and Clams, Bethesda - Seafood Shack From the Owners of Grapeseed - Closed

Quick review:

• Fried clam bellies were excellent.
  • Cold lobster roll very good, nearly all lobster, barely dressed, but a pretty small portion, and oddly lime instead of lemon.
  • NE Clam Chowder good, but needed to be a little chunkier - ratio of soup to stuff was a little high. The mini pack of oyster crackers was too small and stale.
  • Onion rings were fine - nice and crisp - but the breading was a little thick and the onions on the bland side.
  • Fries were just meh.

Will definitely be back.

Daniel, did you get the Rhode Island (clear) or creamy clam chowder?

We went late this afternoon and I had a cup of the clear chowder, which I liked but my wife thought was a bit salty. I like the clear chowder, and it had more herbs in it than the one we get in Libertytown at Liberty Road Seafood and Steak, which had been my favorite in the area until Freddy's.

Concur on the fried clam bellies! This might not be so good in the carry out version. Fresh and hot, though, they were pretty good. We had to add salt and pepper. The frying flour could be a little more seasoned for our taste, but maybe we are off.

Asked the bartender about the Portugese steak and it sounds like a winner. He said we should try the pork and clam stew. The sausage is made in-house. He said it's a hearty stew. I would like to try these dishes, though of course the main attractions will be the clams and lobster.

I love Portuguese pork & clam stew, but they only have it at dinner time, so I couldn't try it today for lunch. I had the creamy chowder, which I thought I was making clear by saying NE chowder - is that not how they differentiate?

I love Portuguese pork & clam stew, but they only have it at dinner time, so I couldn't try it today for lunch. I had the creamy chowder, which I thought I was making clear by saying NE chowder - is that not how they differentiate?

Yes.

New England: milk/cream based, white

Manhattan: tomato based, red (not served at Freddy's)

Rhode Island: clear

Stopped in for dinner last night, 8 of us (4 adults/4 kids) and were able to snag one of the picnic benches outside at around 6:15 pm. Not very crowded when we arrived and never seemed to get too busy while we were there. Between all of us we sampled a fair amount of the menu.

Good:

Lobster Rolls - had both the warm and cold. Both were excellent but as others have noted a tad on the small side for the price.

Fried Clam Belly - A pretty good size serving - lost count of how many exactly as everyone was trying, including the kids.

Lobster Stew - A good amount of lobster. Blueberry muffin went to the kids so I did not try.

Ice Cream - According to the waiter made in-house.

Beer List - Nice addition to a pretty woeful beer scene in Bethesda.

Average:

Fries - Tried a couple and not very impressed. I try not to eat fries unless they are top notch - not worth the extra calories. Probably would not get the fries again.

Onion Rings - Again too much breading for my taste.

As other have mentioned not a cheap night out but a great addition and we will be back often. I know they are going for the lobster shack theme but it would be nice if they would add some plates and silverware instead of the plastic knives and forks and the cardboard containers. A few minor hiccups-out of calamari, out of the wine one person ordered and waiter had a tough time with selecting a beer for one person. Looking forward to trying the steamers once/if they get added to the menu.

[*]Cold lobster roll very good, nearly all lobster, barely dressed, but a pretty small portion, and oddly lime instead of lemon.

My wife had the cold lobster roll and thought the lemon zest was overpowering. I tried it and agreed. We though that the roll would be better with a hint of lemon/lime rather the the amount they used.

The NE clam chowder is good and the seafood is fresh, but for a place that serves so much of its food fried I was expecting them to be better at it. From the fish to the fries to the onion rings, everything came out a bit soggy and greasy. Hopefully it was an off night. Will go back to try it again -- I really want this place to succeed.

I agree with most of the other posters, but the one thing I'd really like to see is a lighter choice of sides for the platters.

The fries and onion rings are both far too heavy to work as a side for fried foods.

How about the option of corn on the cob instead?

Grilled asparagus is available instead of fries and rings, for a small surcharge. i have been trying to stick to a True new England clam shack experience, That apparently Bethesda is reluctant to accept. since this restaurant is in Bethesda I have altered the experience and added a number of items that have no business in a clam shack. Oh well...

It is not corn season.

here is Woodman's menu woodmans menu I feel they do they best job at fried clams and other things. I learned a bunch of stuff studying them. They don't actually have corn on the cob out of season. They have been in business for almost 100 years without 'Healthy sides" I don't think I will live to see the 100th anniversary of Freddy's but at least there is a business plan that worked for them.

here is JT Farnham's Farnhams menu. Well lookie there they have MELTED BUTTER as a side

here is the Clam Box's Clam Box Menu They have Dill Pickle as a side.

Scratch that Grilled asparagus side offer we are going with Dill Pickles and Butter.

Everyone can check out the prices on these menus, by the way. These place are in Essex and Ipswich Mass. They use the same Clams and Lobsters we do and don't have to pay $1 a pound in freight to get them. Or pay to have the buns shipped down The fact that we, Red Hook, BGR Joint and others are giving people a lobster roll and fried clams at the prices (15,16 bucks , clams for 12) we are, is actually quite a bargain. While everyone should be value conscious, Value should be judged on more than ounces per dollar.

Part of the "true New England clam shack experience" is sitting outside overlooking the water, with the smell of the salt air and the sounds of the shore birds all around you.

I won't complain about Freddy's lack of authentic ambiance if you don't complain about crazy folks asking for lighter sides. B)

Jeff, I wish you the best in your latest venture. I recognize the research you have done and continue to do in order to create the experience you were aiming for at Freddy's. I also know you don't price items haphazardly but rather based on a formula you have determined offers a fair price to the customer and to your enterprise. Chef Tom

(full disclosure: Jeff and I worked together at two places: Uptown Bakers-original location and Cashion's Eat Place)

I'm already on record as a Freddy's bull but wanted to support Chef Tom in supporting Jeff on this.

Woodman's in Essex, MA is where I was formally indoctrinated in the wonders of great clam rolls. In fact, Woodman's claims to have invented the fried clam and, while that claim is a bit contested, it's likely true. In any event, if you like fried clams and are ever up that way, great recc to try Woodman's especially given the history.

On the pricing, has to be about empathy and Jeff took some time to provide the information that hopefully helps to better understand his costs and why prices are what they are. I haven't yet tried the Freddy's lobster roll (did try most everything else) but the price didn't strike me as out of alignment with market as the other local, and non-local, options make clear.

At the end of the day, restaurants that provide good service and great food fairly priced to drive reasonable profit do well over the long term. It's early days but seems like Freddy's is really trying to do the former and hopefully that'll ensure the latter.

[disclosure: I have no history with Jeff and woudln't know him if I passed him in the street. Didn't even make the FF list pre-open B) Just someone who loves a great clam (or lobster) roll and appreciates what I think Jeff & Co are trying to do.]

Part of the "true New England clam shack experience" is sitting outside overlooking the water, with the smell of the salt air and the sounds of the shore birds all around you.

I won't complain about Freddy's lack of authentic ambiance if you don't complain about crazy folks asking for lighter sides. B)

Chris often smells "saltier" than he should. We offer both pigeons and crows on occasion, for ambiance, not eating.

Honestly, we are trying to bring as much of the new england shack experience to you. so if the ambiance isn't 100% authentic I appologize. However, if I can bring a close approximation of new england to people and save them airfare, car rental and a hotel room, I would think that would be worthy of praise rather than criticism. I am hoping there are enough people with fond memories of trips to Maine and other parts of the NE coast that they might want to be reminded of that from time to time. that said we need to keep the doors open so we have asparagus all over the place, until corn season...

We eat again at Freddy’s last night and found the cold lobster roll was much less lemony (if that is a word). I like it and more importantly so did my wife.

I was also reading the back and forth on the price at Freddy’s and my wife I both think that the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food.

I've only been here one time since the opening and my overall impression was positive. I especially liked the lobster stew. The portion served was generous and the broth was very buttery and sweet. I also had the whole belly clam platter with fries and found the clams to be excellent although I did add salt and pepper to them after tasing the first one. The blueberry muffin was sweet and moist and I also thought the fries were pretty good. I'm happy to see a place like this opening in this part of Bethesda and hope it has a successful future.

Just had lunch there, liked it a lot. Warm lobster roll, fried clams with the bellies. I dig the fries, so either they changed them or I have bad taste--little super crunchy string fries. Solid beer selection (spectacular for Moco).

I haven't had a two hour two beer lunch for awhile, I need to get back in the habit.

Went last night for 3 reasons:

1. introduce the SO to my new fave spot in Bethesda and, especially the fried clams she favors

2. try the lobster roll once and for all to compare with the other decent options in town

3. partake of Gillian Clark's fried chicken since it was the opening Wednesday night for that collaboration!

The Scorecard

1. (B+) Done. Check. Mission accomplished.

2. (A+) Loved it. Hmmm, comparing to red hook, kinkeads, etc, I"m sure of two things. First that, while it's not identical in ingredients or prep, it's totally at or above that level and the price seems fine/good for the potion I got. Second, that I'm not sure which I prefer and will just need to do more research in the months to come.

3. (F) Struck out. Didn't check facebook and went based on old info that GC would be there last night/Weds. Ai ya! Tonight can't go. Hopefully will be every Thursday from now on but will check the GC and Freddy's FB pages in the future.

Editorial: Shouldn't DR.com always deserve the latest and greatest info too? B) More than 3000 members, untold numbers of silent stalkers and hands down the highest quality discussion of any food-related site I've come across for this region...or any other

Went last night for 3 reasons:

3. partake of Gillian Clark's fried chicken since it was the opening Wednesday night for that collaboration!

3. (F) Struck out. Didn't check facebook and went based on old info that GC would be there last night/Weds. Ai ya! Tonight can't go. Hopefully will be every Thursday from now on but will check the GC and Freddy's FB pages in the future.

Editorial: Shouldn't DR.com always deserve the latest and greatest info too? B) More than 3000 members, untold numbers of silent stalkers and hands down the highest quality discussion of any food-related site I've come across for this region...or any other

The info was on DR

My husband loves, loves, loves this type of food. And after reading all the reviews I am looking forward to getting up there sometime soon (DR Night?)! Would not travel all the way for burgers or pizza or even steak frites!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words, the constructive critcisms and most importantly the patience as we break in this new restaurant. It takes awhile to iron some things out in practice, since oftentimes what you thought would be the case simply doesn't happen. Sometimes you have to order different equipment when a dish you didn't think would be super popular, is. and vice versa.

We have already changed the menu and other things numerous times as we work through this pesky supply and demand thing. We have added a bunch of menu options and will be getting to Steamers and whole lobsters shortly. First I want to perfect the fried stuff. Not as easy as it sounds. I want this stuff to be spot on , every time, and timing the whole menu can be trickier than you might think. I also have clam and fish cakes to get right without upsetting the balance of the fried stuff that I want to be the centerpiece of the restaurant.

I also wanted to say that Gillian will be doing fried chicken on THURSDAYS. She has prior committments on a bunch of wednesdays , so it just makes sense.

Again thanks for everything in the first few days.

Jeff

FYI - Gillian will be doing fried chicken on Thursdays. with Fries and coleslaw. Puffier in the deep fryer as opposed to the cast iron, but she is working it out, and it sure tastes good.

Awesome! And to think Medium Rare still hasn't pulled the trigger on a possible collaboration with a wine purveyor (Weygandts) across the street.

Freddy's and Gillian Clark has to be one of the most kickass collaborations in town. May it last a long time...or at least until GC gets her next spot on K St open!

Not a Chain. Freddy's is named after my Grandfather. I dug clams with him. He's dead. I made the sign myself.

Stop by I can show you around

Jeff

Do you have the soft shell clams from Ipswich? I used to be able to buy them at the wharf in SW for about a decade beginning in the mid-1960's; they are sweeter than the clams from this region and not at all chewy.

Do you have the soft shell clams from Ipswich? I used to be able to buy them at the wharf in SW for about a decade beginning in the mid-1960's; they are sweeter than the clams from this region and not at all chewy.

The fryer clams have been alternating in availability from Ipswich and local. There seem to be advantages of both. I like the salinity of the northern clams, and I like the fact that the locals are a day or two fresher out of the water. Ipswich doesn't produce enough clams any more for the demand year round, so it gets to be quite a crap shoot some days. And this is a day-to-day purchasing setup. Steamers, when we start them, hopefully this week, are being worked out. You have to find a purged product. Unpurged are quite gritty and not that pleasant. I am looking for local, since they don't travel well (hence "softshell").

So, anyway, we are on about a 60/40 local / Ipswich ratio. I can always look on the tag and let you know.

Jeff

I rarely eat lobster - too rubbery and either fishy or bland. I never eat lobster rolls - too much mayonnaise, can't even taste the rubbery lobster. So I went to Freddy's and ordered a cold lobster roll, and you know what? It was fantastic. Tender, flavorful chunks of meat lightly dressed in only a little mayo. Wow. I love it when something comes along and changes a lifelong dislike. Thanks, Jeff.

Also, the cheat sheet in the booze book is a nice touch.

I rarely eat lobster - too rubbery and either fishy or bland.

That is the perfect description of overcooked and/or old lobster. A lively lobster cooked just to the point where the meat starts to turn opaque produces meat that is sweet and tender (but it appears you now know that).

The fryer clams have been alternating in availability from Ipswich and local. There seem to be advantages of both. I like the salinity of the northern clams, and I like the fact that the locals are a day or two fresher out of the water. Ipswich doesn't produce enough clams any more for the demand year round, so it gets to be quite a crap shoot some days. And this is a day-to-day purchasing setup. Steamers, when we start them, hopefully this week, are being worked out. You have to find a purged product. Unpurged are quite gritty and not that pleasant. I am looking for local, since they don't travel well (hence "softshell").

So, anyway, we are on about a 60/40 local / Ipswich ratio. I can always look on the tag and let you know.

Jeff

Don't know which they were last night, but they were very, very good (and huge, almost to a fault); and they were fried very nicely. I'd only suggest just a bit more seasoning . . . . Also enjoyed the onion rings and lobster stew. And the extensive beer list.

In any place such as this, consistency -- especially in frying -- will be the key. But this was a very encouraging first visit, and the prices were not out of whack for what we got. Looking forward to the steamers and fried chicken!

I was at Freddy's last weekend and got some pictures of the lobster roll and the lobster stew. I liked the lemon zest in the roll, and did not find it overpowering. I look forward to returning to try the whole belly clams.

Nice pics. We went last Friday. Was very excited to have something like this so close to home. And will definitely go back, especially with steamers on the way (thanks, Jeff!). Thought the ambience was great in terms of trying to recreate the Maine clam/lobster shack experience in Bethesda. Love the "real" open lobster tank. (Need some yellowjackets and mosquitos for true authenticity, though very happy to take a pass on those.) Fried clams and squid were great. Will try again, but wasn't completely impressed by my lobster roll, though. Maybe it's just your shot, but mine didn't look quite as fully loaded and with large chunks of lobster as the one in your photo. And I actually thought the lobster was rather lacking in flavor. Given the other reviews out here, maybe just an anomaly. As I said, will try again.

Oh, and the homemade key lime ice cream was awesome!

Have been in about 4 times in the past week (I both live and work in the Woodmont Triangle). I'll admit it's mainly because the spousal unit was in for a week from Michigan, and he's become addicted to the Rhode Island style calamari. Freddy's unofficial nickname here is "the front porch".

I'm looking forward to the addition of steamers etc. Hot humid weather reduces my body's tolerance for deep-frying. Fortunately, it has no problem with lobster rolls or the Booze Book. B)

Had dinner here on memorial day night, had the fried clams with belly and 2 lobster rolls, hot with butter. Everything was great, including the fries, which were hot and crispy. The lady friend, (born and bred in Maine) felt that everything was spot on. We certainly had a better time than the grumpy, old couple sitting behind us, though it was enjoyable listening to them. i truly like the diverse beer list, and both of us are looking forward to steamers. Well worth the drive from Falls Church.

Stopped in for a quick lunch today. While I really wanted a big pile of fried food and a beer, I had to consider that I have a lot of work with a tight deadline so I opted for the cold lobster sandwich and side of asparagus. It was delicious and the perfect amount to leave me satisfied for the rest of the afternoon without going into a food coma.

If there was an issue with overzesting the lobster roll, that seems to have been resolved as it was subtle in mine, which was overflowing with large chunks of lobster. I might have liked a bit less mayo in my sandwich, but I think that's just me. The bread though was a pleasant surprise - I usually find myself pulling off chunks of bread and discarding it from sandwiches, but this was the perfect ratio of meat to bread and the bread held up despite the weight/moistness of the lobster.

And I know Jeff included asparagus despite his wishes to honor the traditional clam/lobster shack, but damn it's good - really well seasoned and grilled perfectly.

The beer list looks great (as did some of the cocktails, which called to me with their refreshing sound on this ridiculously hot day) and the service at the bar (Gabe) was friendly and efficient. Although take the latter with a grain of salt as I was the only person in the bar. :) He was kind enough to remind me to check out the lobster tank before I left though, which I only remembered a few blocks away in my car. B)

Some subpar cell phone pics:

IMAG0024.jpg

Look at how my sandwich overfloweth:

IMAG0025.jpg

Oh, it was $18 for my meal with the asparagus upcharge, a price I find quite reasonable considering that Panera is now offering a lobster sandwich for $15. Yes, you read that right, Panera. Lobster roll. $15. :D

Scratch that. I went to Panera for breakfast today and the lobster roll is $16.99, not $15 like I originally thought. So anyone who complains about the price @Freddy's is getting a punch in the face from me. Or publicly ridiculed. Okay, more likely I'll just make fun of you in my head. I know, scary, right?

Freddy's got my lunch biz today on a whim & I would up dining with zoramargolis & her husband. B) The lobster roll was stuffed full of chilled lobster and had just the right amount of lemon and mayonnaise, but needed a little salt. The bun (top-split, natch) was flabby & could have used a few seconds more on the grill to really crisp the sides. Mr. Zora generously shared a clam belly and it was outstanding - sweet, perfectly fried, and easily the best I've had in the area. Matchstick fries were just OK. I didn't try the coleslaw, but note that the $2 side order consists of a 4 oz. cup containing about 2 oz. of slaw. A buck an ounce seems steep for shredded cabbage.

Love the space, and can see spending some time here with a beer & a box of fried clams some evening.

Freddy's got my lunch biz today on a whim & I would up lunching with zoramargolis & her husband. B) The lobster roll was stuffed full of chilled lobster and had just the right amount of lemon and mayonnaise, but needed just a little salt. The bun (top-split, natch) was flabby & could have used a few seconds more on the grill to really crisp the sides. Mr. Zora generously shared a clam belly and it was outstanding - sweet, perfectly fried, and easily the best I've had in the area. Matchstick fries were just OK. I didn't try the coleslaw, but note that the $2 side order consists of a 4 oz. cup containing about 2 oz. of slaw. A buck an ounce seems steep for shredded cabbage.

Love the space, and can see spending some time here with a beer & a box of fried clams some evening.

It was indeed a pleasant surprise to bump into Heather and catch up over lunch at an outside table on a beautiful "California weather" day. I liked my chilled lobster roll with mayo--the lobster's texture was perfect and the flavor was sweet but seemed muted. J liked it a lot, and he has eaten many more lobsters in his lifetime than I have. Perhaps I'll try a hot one next time. J's fried clams were fantastic, but he regretted choosing the onion rings because they were extremely greasy. Heather is right about the coleslaw. When I exclaimed incredulously about the stingy portion that I paid $2 extra for (the portion that came with J's clam platter was mingier--half the size of the side portion), the young waiter brought out another small cup of slaw for me. My first time there, so I don't know about other sides, but really, the portioning needs re-evaluation. And while they're at it, they might tweak the recipe--maybe a slightly less heavy hand with the celery seed and a bit more mayo.

Asked the bartender about the Portugese steak and it sounds like a winner. He said we should try the pork and clam stew. The sausage is made in-house. He said it's a hearty stew. I would like to try these dishes,

Thanks! That goes double for me. Anybody tried the Pork and Clam Stew yet?

I took the Alentejana (Pork and Clams stew) off the menu for now, no one ordered it. It was delicious but I think it maybe in the fall/winter. I am trying to bring some non fried things but still pay homage to New England and I thought people would be quicker to embrace the idea of the hertitage of the Portuguese in New Bedford, Gloucester and other fishing areas of New England. I guess it is summer and Lobster rolls and Fried Clams are where it's at. I will feature more Portuguese things later in the year.

We have 40 pounds of steamer clams coming in today and they will be a special until we run out

I took the Alentejana (Pork and Clams stew) off the menu for now, no one ordered it. It was delicious but I think it maybe in the fall/winter. I am trying to bring some non fried things but still pay homage to New England and I thought people would be quicker to embrace the idea of the hertitage of the Portuguese in New Bedford, Gloucester and other fishing areas of New England. I guess it is summer and Lobster rolls and Fried Clams are where it's at. I will feature more Portuguese things later in the year.

We have 40 pounds of steamer clams coming in today and they will be a special until we run out

Since you asked my opinion as a consultant, I can tell you that the Alentejana is a dish for repeat customers; not first-timers. The "thrill" of the lobster roll and fried clams must be satisfied before ordering that stew. Put it back and you'll see sales of it pick up as regulars come in for their nth visit.

That will be ten dollars.

Since you asked my opinion as a consultant, I can tell you that the Alentejana is a dish for repeat customers; not first-timers. The "thrill" of the lobster roll and fried clams must be satisfied before ordering that stew. Put it back and you'll see sales of it pick up as regulars come in for their nth visit.

Seconded. I had to satisfy my jonesing for lobster rolls and fried belly clams first. After a few visits of those, I would have graduated to the pork and clams stew.

I agree. However, stews and such in restaurants have to be cooked in large quantities, and don't last forever once stewed, plus the clams were dying waiting to be cooked in the dish. Ergo, I will bring it back when the temperatures start heading down and people start thinking about stews.

And , I will keep my ten bucks

I stopped by for lunch today. The fried belly clams were outstanding and immensely satisfying. I enjoyed the cold lobster roll a little less -- the mayo sauce isn't quite spot-on, and it was a little small for the price (there was less meat than in Choirgirl's photo). The quality of the lobster meat itself was excellent. I didn't care for the hot lobster roll, but that's just a matter of personal taste. The fries were good but not superlative. In general, I felt everything was about 10% over-priced, particularly given the bare-bones nature of the setting.