Freddy's Lobster and Clams, Bethesda - Seafood Shack From the Owners of Grapeseed - Closed

Sorry I missed the celebration but happy anniversary!

I was a little disappointed to learn that it seems most of our favorite specials deals (cans & clams, lobster roll & draft, kids 2 for 1 hotdogs) seem to have gone by the wayside, and I have to agree that the service can be a little slow/spotty, but I'm still happy to have Freddy's in the neighborhood!

We still have plenty of specials: Kids eat free on Mondays; 1/2 price Burgers on Tuesdays; Twin Lobsters on Weds; All yu can Eat peel n Eat Shrimp on Thursdays; Happy Hour Mon-Fri 4-7 (which includes a 1/2 price draft with Lobster roll deal). Fried Chicken will be $5 off on Mondays as well FYI

The Birthday Party was a lot of fun, it was good to see a few DRers. Special Thanks go out to Pam and Alan from California Tortilla who allowed us to "occupy" their patio space for the party. Next time I really need to find a way to put the grills in the shade, I am certainly to old/fat/hairy to stand in the sun next to a fire all day.

Prices are up slightly. Wholesale Lobster and Clams went up last year and have yet to come back to last summer's levels. the shed should come on soon which should lead to lowering of prices. Clams, which do not shed, might be up for good. Someone is making money on them, not me.

Definitely not making money if you visit on July 4! Lobsters are $17.76. My mom and I enjoyed a nice one last Friday at lunch. I only wish the meters had a parcmobile option in Bethesda.

Seemed like a somehow appropriate price. Please wear red, white and blue

They say traffic kills..and it does, but the commute can also make you crazy...that coupled with an amazing offer and a much shorter drive is bittersweet as I say goodbye to Freddy's Lobster and Bethesda. Its always hard to leave a place you've help build, but I'm leaving Freddy's confidently positioned to continue its beer haven for Bethesda. After a motorcycle walkabout for the next week taking me wherever I decide to ride, I'll be moving to Willow in Arlington as the Wine & Beverage Director/AGM. I will be behind the bar as usual also, so I look forward to seeing many of you there at some point. My best to Jeff, Freddy's and all the great people that I have had the pleasure to serve and meet.

Went with our two kids last night, at their request. No complaints about the food or service, which were both good as usual. But hugely disappointed that Freddy's apparently did away with its old kids menu (which my kids loved, thus their request to go here last night). No more shrimp boats or clam boats. Now just a cookie cutter kids menu, no different from anywhere else (pasta, chicken tenders, grilled cheese, fish and chips (the only option consistent with the restaurant concept), etc.). That said, ended up ordering the regular-size clam strip platter for one of the kids (with substantial leftovers). But a very disappointing change, especially for my 8 year old, who questioned what the point was of having a typical kids menu in a place like Freddy's. "Unfair," he said (though not much seems fair when you're 8, from what I can tell).

The previous time we'd been to Freddy's, we'd been told that fried whole-belly clams were no longer on the menu. We were encouraged to write on one of their feedback forms about our dissatisfaction regarding this change, which we did--this was what J. has always ordered there and he loves them. I can only guess that enough other people did the same, because I got an email recently announcing that whole belly clams were back. Last night, we went to eat them. They were bigger, very tasty although the outer portion of the clam was a bit rubbery. The big surprise came when we got the bill. The clams were not on the menu, and given that all of Freddy's prices are reasonable, we didn't ask about the cost. The platter, which used to be $13.95 if I am remembering correctly was now $18.95, a rather substantial increase in cost. I assume that the cost of the product has been factored into the price, although these are definitely larger clams. A bit of a sting, and we may not be able to drop by for clams quite so casually any more.

The previous time we'd been to Freddy's, we'd been told that fried whole-belly clams were no longer on the menu. We were encouraged to write on one of their feedback forms about our dissatisfaction regarding this change, which we did--this was what J. has always ordered there and he loves them. I can only guess that enough other people did the same, because I got an email recently announcing that whole belly clams were back. Last night, we went to eat them. They were bigger, very tasty although the outer portion of the clam was a bit rubbery. The big surprise came when we got the bill. The clams were not on the menu, and given that all of Freddy's prices are reasonable, we didn't ask about the cost. The platter, which used to be $13.95 if I am remembering correctly was now $18.95, a rather substantial increase in cost. I assume that the cost of the product has been factored into the price, although these are definitely larger clams. A bit of a sting, and we may not be able to drop by for clams quite so casually any more.

I'm a big fan of the whole-bellies as well. That and lobster are what I order most of the time at Freddy's and encourage other people to do. Both are pretty consistently great though maybe one out of five times they'll under fry the clams so they come out closer to white than to golden brown. When that happens, maybe best to ask for another order but sometimes no time for that. Such a small thing but I also miss the bits of green onion that used to be in the cold lobster (roll) when they first opened. Maybe I'll fill out a form also :)

Still think this place is top of the pyramid for the two things in their name foodwise. Also, of course, they may have the most extensive beer program in MoCo but I"m not a big beer drinker so can't say.

What a treat it was to dine here on Sunday afternoon.

On a whim, with a groupon expiring early next month, we decided to divert from our errands and give Freddy's a try. Sunday was a beautiful day, and it was the perfect day to sit at the window counter fully opened to the outdoors. This was our first visit--I was hoping to bring my Dad here for his bday in May, but was trying to figure how we could do that since it did not appear as if anything on the menu would appeal to my Mom or sister. We were mistaken in thinking most of the food was "fried" and a limited menu means not a good selection when the extended family dines out. We were pleasantly proven wrong, however. I can see my Mom happy to order the mussels, salad or lobster. And my sister who doesn't eat shellfish could easily order the haddock or other fish sandwich.

Mr. S had a very fresh Haddock sandwich and I had a very tasty arugula, fennel and parmesan salad topped with lobster. Had we planned in advance, we would have shared a cider (on tap!) but we'll have to plan for that next time. The beer selection is quite good as well. The shoestring fries were difficult to resist-perfect, with no grease at all.

Hopefully we can plan a trip soon with friends to have the opportunity to try some more menu items when there are more of us dining to share "tastes." And I'm looking forward to letting my Dad know he can get whole belly clams for his birthday!

We were here on Saturday night -- they were slammed, and we heard someone mention groupon, so that's probably why. Food was delicious, and we didn't have service problems we had a previous time (when everything in my husband's order was wrong), but the people next to us were impatiently waiting and inquired a couple times about their food. We got everything very quickly - loved the lobster roll, the mushroom side dish (slightly heavier on the oil than I prefer, but so tasty), and the blueberry cobbler.

Family was back this weekend. Lobster roll and some of the other menu items as good as ever. But continue to be very disappointed by the changes in the kids menu pointed out back in my October 2012 post. And two bucks for a small bag of Lay's potato chips (no more Cape Cod's even?) for one of the kids to go with the clam strips we ordered for him off the regular menu struck us as a bit much (not to mention unfortunate).

Man it's been too long since I've had a lobster roll here. Need to rectify that  this week methinks. Anyone been recently?

No, but only because I've been eating in the bar area next door at Grapeseed instead.

• Like 1

We were there Saturday night, about 8:30. Walked by Grapeseed and noted that the front room/bar area was sparsely populated. Considered going in, but we were in the mood for something more casual.

We both ordered the lobster bisque, which was thin in both flavor and texture -- I wouldn't order it again. Our warm lobster rolls hit the spot. I have a weakness for onion rings and I think theirs are among the best I've tasted. As usual, there was a nice range of beer selections on tap. This was our third visit and we will likely be back.

Went for lunch.

Cold lobster roll - still delicious.

Lobster deviled eggs - Yesss!

Shore shrimp - pretty good.

Fish & Chips.....ok. The slaw was ok, mainly because the texture was right and decent flavor. The fires are very good. The fish was proper temp and tasty, but the batter was all wrong - too skimpy and it fell apart in my hands - it needs a proper fry while staying not too bready. This erred on the side of too little breading and too little frying.

"Freddie's Lobster And Clams Closes, To Reopen As New Concept" by Andrew Metcalf on bethesdamagazine.com

Well, that's too bad - maybe Pop's Seabar or Fishnet can fill the gap.

Cordell Avenue has had a tough go of things.

If the new owners (or Jeff) want to contact me (donrockwell@dcdining.com), I know chefs at various levels looking for work. If any chefs out there haven't told me they're looking for work, now's your chance (held in strict confidence, no charge).

I had ended my relationship with Freddy's a while ago. i had stayed on a first as a menu consultant, but my partner and I had different thoughts on the way the business model should run, so we parted ways. You can figure out upthread when prices jacked up, that wasn't my idea...

Last week my former partner, the current GM and a bartender from Grapeseed, apparently stuck a deal where Patrick and Laura (Grapeseed employees) would take over Freddy's and make it into some sort of upscale comforty food type place. I wish them luck.

I don't need a chef or kitchen people at all here at Grapeseed, we've been cookin up some nice stuff here lately on our own.

I do need a manager and a bartender , i guess

I had ended my relationship with Freddy's a while ago. i had stayed on a first as a menu consultant, but my partner and I had different thoughts on the way the business model should run, so we parted ways. You can figure out upthread when prices jacked up, that wasn't my idea...

Interesting.  So hopefully that means my kids shouldn't hold you responsible for the changes to the kids menu there either.  Had been one of their favorite Bethesda restaurants for a while.

you got it. I was the only advocate for a properly themed kids menu. I was the advocate for keeping the New England theme overall, when I started losing votes to keep it that way I moved on. It was sad to see some of the goings on. I still feel lobster rolls, clams,  chowders can work. Probably in a space with a smaller footprint and a much lower rent.As it was, the winters were too much of a drag to overcome in the warmer months. I had envisioned a Very Simple place serving those things mostly with a great beer selection. it seems not many people want Just those things in the dead of winter.

• Like 1

So sorry to see this place go. I have really fond memories Freddy's. A few years back, we had a friend in her mid-80s, Emily, who had a fall and had to be hospitalized and went to rehab in the Hebrew Home in Rockville. Emily loved dining out and discussing restaurants. One of her favorite things was lobster so while she was in the Hebrew Home, I brought her a few lobster rolls from Freddy's. Since lobster isn't exactly kosher, I had to put down a plastic table cloth and provide all utensils ets., and when she was done we had to wrap everything up and toss it in an outside garbage bin. Emily LOVED it. Her face was just glowing. She talked about it for weeks! Unfortunately, Emily never left the Hebrew Home and passed away a few months later.

• Like 5

you got it. I was the only advocate for a properly themed kids menu. I was the advocate for keeping the New England theme overall, when I started losing votes to keep it that way I moved on. It was sad to see some of the goings on. I still feel lobster rolls, clams,  chowders can work. Probably in a space with a smaller footprint and a much lower rent.As it was, the winters were too much of a drag to overcome in the warmer months. I had envisioned a Very Simple place serving those things mostly with a great beer selection. it seems not many people want Just those things in the dead of winter.

Haven't been here on the board in awhile but, after running into Porcupine recently at Rose's, cheering the return of Frank Ruta and Aggie Chin from exile to Georgetown and then having to figure out a fast Plan B for a planned lunch this week at Freddy's, wanted to weigh in.

Freddy's and Palena share something important in terms of the backstories and I'm not exactly sure what it is.  In both cases, they were truly best in class at what they did from a product standpoint.  There's no chef better than Frank Ruta. And there was no lobster roll the equal of what Jeff was putting out at Freddy's in the first year or so. And, in both cases, the signs of trouble appeared to some regulars several months before announced closings. The rising prices were just one harbinger.

I join with everyone who'll miss Freddy's.  Fresh lobster rolls and whole-belly clams, generously portioned and fairly priced (until the final months after Jeff had exited) aren't available in this market now.  I agree with Jeff that there is a market and that a smaller footprint and simpler, more cost-effective menu, could work with a truly unique and compelling bar like he had here.  The location for this also wasn't ideal since all the foot traffic is in and around Bethesda Row where Luke's, a less-good product, is exactly that kind of small footprint with plenty of walk-in business.

Was really bummed to see the closed signs on the doors this week since I hadn't already heard.  Had hoped the awesome beer selection might subsidize the rest of the business but clearly wasn't enough given the other challenges. And, big thumbs up on DanielK's idea in hoping a great lobster roll and/or clam roll might appear on the Grapeseed lunch menu!

P.S., "Upscale comforty food" doesn't make a ton of sense to me in that location at all but what the heck do I know?

• Like 1