Cava Grill, Quick-Serve Mediterranean In Multiple Area Locations - Undergoing Rapid Expansion

Hey All - Thanks for the kind comments and support.

Me and the guys all grew up in Montgomery County, so really proud to be part of the burgeoning culinary community in DC.  We will be opening in Westwood near UCLA and the new Village at Topanga project near Woodland Hills/Canoga Park.  We'll be looking at other neighborhoods so if anyone has friends or family in LA, feel free to throw suggestions!

• Like 1

So I was babysitting my 16 month old nephew this weekend.  On Sunday we hopped in the stroller and went down to Bread Furst.  I saw Mark, the place was packed, everything looked great, then the boy decided he wasn't going to let me hold him for the requisite time to make it through the line.  So back in the stroller, which keeps him really happy.  I ended up trekking up to Cava Grill on Wisconsin which was great because they are super nice and I could just push his stroller down the line, get my lunch, keep him happy and then go over to Janney and let him run around while I ate.  I love their super green options they have now and I like getting a half super greens half brown rice bowl with lamb meatballs.  I normally get hummus, eggplant and harissa, but I got red pepper hummus in case the boy wanted some.  I still adore Cava Grill and wish there was one in Ballston, Reston or Old Town.  So get on that Cava Grill.  I saved half and it was supposed to be lunch today, but it is sitting in my brothers fridge, oh well.

• Like 2

The Ashburn location opened this last week at the corner of 7 and Claiborne Pkwy, at the Belmont Chase development.  Convenient if I go into Whole Foods for dinner and don't find anything that looks good (which seems to be more common at this WF location but I digress).

Nothing to note different than the other locations, though I do think they would be well-served to create some sort of 'First time here?' card when opening new spots.  There are a LOT of options for first timers and the staff explanations of everything on the line means a ten person line takes twenty minutes to get through.

• Like 3

I do think they would be well-served to create some sort of 'First time here?' card when opening new spots.  There are a LOT of options for first timers and the staff explanations of everything on the line means a ten person line takes twenty minutes to get through.

I *really* hope they read this.

• Like 1

I LOVE me some Cava Grill, but the Tysons location on peak Saturday lunch time was maybe not a great choice.  The first guy on the line was having a really hard time getting orders right I told him I wanted greens and grains bowl half brown rice, half super greens.  I almost got a white and brown rice bowl, he also screwed up the couple in front of me who just went with it (salad bowl instead of greens and grains and rice bowl instead of pitas).  I asked for the side of pita, but it didn't make it in my bag, asked them to go light on the dressing and am not sure that happened either, the poor woman putting on veg toppings kept getting distracted by people interrupting her for other things and seemed frazzled by all of that.  I know it was peak time it just seemed really chaotic and I felt bad because it seemed to be taking a toll on their organizational system.  But same great food, I mixed the raspberry ginger and tea together and that was really refreshing.  I really can't pass up any opportunity to eat there as I love it, but I don't see it getting less chaotic anytime soon so hoping they get into the rhythm. 

I ate at the Penn Quarter Cava Grill yesterday and had an excellent lunch. My first time at the fast casual (I've been to Cava Mezze and liked it, and have bought the eggplant/pepper and tzatiki spreads at Whole Foods).

I heartily endorse the suggestion above that there be some kind of "first time here?" card or other explanation of what the choices are.  I looked at the online menu and this thread before I went, which helped, but I missed a few things that weren't on the online menu, that I didn't want to hold up the line asking about.  (Even around 2:15 when I got there, there was a line - I wonder how long it is at prime lunchtime?)

They apparently have a black lentil special for fall - I didn't order that (didn't know exactly what it was till I looked it up on their Instagram afterwards) but it looked intriguing.

Loved the variety of options available. I got a mix of arugula and brown basmati rice for the base, then half braised lamb (saw the mentions in this thread about how good it is) and half grilled chicken, three of the spreads (especially liked the roasted pepper hummos, which I hadn't tried before), and a bunch of the vegetable toppings (having mint as a topping is great - lots of flavor, and not something most places offer). They had a fall roasted vegetable topping that I kind of wanted but I do not like brussels sprouts and didn't think I could ask them to serve me a portion without (and it seems like it would be hard to pick them out of my lunch since you get so many different things - maybe I could ask for it on the side of the bowl), but the other three veggies were favorites of mine, butternut squash, cauliflower, and carrots.

It was all delicious.  I think in future I might just get the chicken and maybe a little of the braised beef, just having confirmed for myself that lamb feels a little heavy for me at lunchtime, but it was cooked beautifully.  The chicken was flavorful too and not overcooked as so many places do.  And it was an excellent mix of healthy vegetable and yogurt-based options to go with the meats and lighten them.

And I didn't know about the fresh juice drinks until I got there - I had a cucumber lime mint drink that was so good.  Very cucumbery and fresh tasting. Yum.

Today was my first time trying Cava Mezze Grill in Fairfax & I thought it was delicious. I was also happy that my son didn't want his default lunch, all you can eat sushi from Samurai across from GMU. I got a salad & grain bowl, romaine & black lentils, chicken, tzatziki, crazy feta, tomatoes & cukes, more cukes, olives, feta, & mint (I think she forgot that, I didn't taste any) w/ just a little Greek vinaigrette. Very tasty, & the pink grapefruit soda I had was good, too. & then we had to face the hell that is the Fairfax Costco....

First try at the Cava breakfast options at DCA over the weekend...  I thought the potato option for the bowl (instead of rice or salad) was really smart, and the chicken sausage worked well for breakfast.  Having said that, overall it feels like they haven't totally figured out how to make breakfast work.  The seriously rubbery eggs at the end of the line were sort of an awkward add-on, and most of the options trend toward their usual lunch options.  Since I'm not a big breakfast food guy, this would work well for me but then they don't have the dips or nearly as many topping options as other Cava locations have for lunch and dinner.  One thing that I think makes this concept work so well later in the day is that its hard to make a combination of options provided that really don't work together - I'd stay away from the pickled onions at breakfast...

I'd go back again just because its something unique, but hopefully they're continuing to 'tweak' the early day offerings.

This past Sunday night, Merrifield location was working like a finely tuned machine.  I didn't realize MK hadn't either ever been to a store location or it had been a really long time (I normally get food here and bring it home to him)  anyway he navigated the line pretty easily.  After eating, he too (not just me) said we should have one in Ballston, to which I cracked up, as I say this ALL the time.  He got a large pita with meatballs of some sort, I got a salad with chicken, we both were really happy.  It was a nice quick bite before our movie.  I was surprised my salad held up as leftover for the next day, as it had light dressing, but it actually did well (spinach, super greens mix) and was still good the next day.  

• Like 2

I want one here, Mt. Vernon area, south end of Rt. 1- that'll never happen....if they put one in at the PX on Belvoir, it would clean up. There's a similar fast/casual/Med place right off post, Baytna, across from Wegmans in Lansdowne Center, but it doesn't have as much variety in the toppings.

Thanks Brian!

It means a great deal.  Our team works hard every day to put forth great food and service for each customer visit.  As everyone on this board knows, especially the operators - it's not easy!!

We always appreciate the feedback on this forum, positive or negative.  It keeps us informed of how we are doing in our efforts.

• Like 1

Hey Don,

We only have Happy Hour at our full service Cava Mezze locations.  Arlington County does not allow specific drink specials advertised on social media, websites or exterior signage.  Only inside the restaurants.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Brett

That is a crazy dumb law.  Virginia had an overall law that banned ads for HH.  I thought it was changed, but if Arlington has retained it, too bad for Arlington bars and restaurants.  I believe there is or was an independent website that lists or did list HH's and specifics for each place.  Did it get banned?  Was it monetized with payments from the bars/restaurants?   I thought it was an incredibly ridiculous law.

I ate at the Penn Quarter Cava Grill yesterday and had an excellent lunch. My first time at the fast casual (I've been to Cava Mezze and liked it, and have bought the eggplant/pepper and tzatiki spreads at Whole Foods).

I heartily endorse the suggestion above that there be some kind of "first time here?" card or other explanation of what the choices are.  I looked at the online menu and this thread before I went, which helped, but I missed a few things that weren't on the online menu, that I didn't want to hold up the line asking about.  (Even around 2:15 when I got there, there was a line - I wonder how long it is at prime lunchtime?)

They apparently have a black lentil special for fall - I didn't order that (didn't know exactly what it was till I looked it up on their Instagram afterwards) but it looked intriguing.

Loved the variety of options available. I got a mix of arugula and brown basmati rice for the base, then half braised lamb (saw the mentions in this thread about how good it is) and half grilled chicken, three of the spreads (especially liked the roasted pepper hummos, which I hadn't tried before), and a bunch of the vegetable toppings (having mint as a topping is great - lots of flavor, and not something most places offer). They had a fall roasted vegetable topping that I kind of wanted but I do not like brussels sprouts and didn't think I could ask them to serve me a portion without (and it seems like it would be hard to pick them out of my lunch since you get so many different things - maybe I could ask for it on the side of the bowl), but the other three veggies were favorites of mine, butternut squash, cauliflower, and carrots.

It was all delicious.  I think in future I might just get the chicken and maybe a little of the braised beef, just having confirmed for myself that lamb feels a little heavy for me at lunchtime, but it was cooked beautifully.  The chicken was flavorful too and not overcooked as so many places do.  And it was an excellent mix of healthy vegetable and yogurt-based options to go with the meats and lighten them.

And I didn't know about the fresh juice drinks until I got there - I had a cucumber lime mint drink that was so good.  Very cucumbery and fresh tasting. Yum.

Since I went the first time a couple months ago, I've been back three more times.  Such a delicious lunch!

I love the black lentils and would eat them year-round (I think they're a fall/winter addition, but they'd be great to keep).  I've been getting the roasted veggies on the side so I can pick out the brussels sprouts, and they're a great option.

The only problem I have with the downtown (Verizon Center) one is that the line is too long, so I have to go really late (or early, I guess) for lunch if I don't want a giant line. But that's just a measure of its success. The servers move the line along well.

Cava took me a few tries to find a flavor combo I enjoyed.  I find this is common across many of the recent fast casual places - Shophouse, Cava, Beefsteak, etc.  I've given Beefsteak tries and still can't find a combo that I find 'works' and have given up.  Cracking this code has to be one of the core elements of having a successful new concept in this market - there's only so many times I'm willing to pay for a bad lunch when it seems like the restaurant should be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for you.

You know what? You just increased the revenues of a fast-casual chain by 5%.

Once or twice a year, they have a "Free Tasting Day" or a "Five-Dollar Unlimited Tasting" where customers can come in and experiment with various flavor combinations in sample sizes - as many as they wish, in order to find a favorite.

It's good public relations, it's great marketing, it will lead to regular customers, and now that I've written this, it won't surprise me one iota if you see it somewhere in the next year. In fact, I'm not even going to move it out of this forum, because I want places that sign on here to reap the benefits of this idea.

I wish they would have some standard items that you could order.  I get too flustered with all the options and the pressure of not holding up the line.  It was much simpler when they first opened and had limited options.

Anyone want to share what they commonly order.

I get the same thing every time:

-Salad bowl with super greens

- Tzatziki, Crazy Feta and Harissa

- Chicken (I used to get the pork gyro but they discontinued it :angry:, at least at the Tenley shop I most visit)

- Tomatos / Red onions, Pickled Onions, Cabbage slaw

- Sriracha Yogurt Dressing on the side

The one thing I absolutely LOVE and it addresses the whole "holding up the line" thing - you can place your order online and walk right up front and pick it up.  I find it to be amazingly convenient during crazy lunch rushes.

You know what? You just increased the revenues of a fast-casual chain by 5%.

Once or twice a year, they have a "Free Tasting Day" or a "Five-Dollar Unlimited Tasting" where customers can come in and experiment with various flavor combinations in sample sizes - as many as they wish, in order to find a favorite.

It's good public relations, it's great marketing, it will lead to regular customers, and now that I've written this, it won't surprise me one iota if you see it somewhere in the next year. In fact, I'm not even going to move it out of this forum, because I want places that sign on here to reap the benefits of this idea.

In the last 2-3 years I've seen 2 examples of places giving away food for free.  Both places drew enormous lines.  In one case the placement in one media source caused awareness to explode.  The word "FREE" really travels.

Hard/hard to tell how effective the marketing was in the long term.  I have a good insight into one of the efforts and the net result of new customers was "probably" marginal....but they didn't do things to measure in full, and I know from consistent efforts on things "like this" its hard to pinpoint.  From my perspective its worth an effort, but no guarantees on the long term value.  

I wish they would have some standard items that you could order.  I get too flustered with all the options and the pressure of not holding up the line.  It was much simpler when they first opened and had limited options.

Anyone want to share what they commonly order.

I get:

base: arugula and black lentils

spreads: red pepper hummus and tzatiki

small pita on the side (they ask when I get the spreads if I want that)

protein: grilled chicken and/or roasted vegetables (cauliflower/butternut squash/carrots/brussels sprouts)

toppings: tomato & cucumber salad, a little feta, a little kalamata olives, mint, lemon wedge

dressing: tahini

My most common order:

Base: Half supergreens, half brown rice.

Spreads: Harissa (it's pretty spicy sometimes if my stomach is a little on the hmm side I skip this and get eggplant), hummus, red pepper hummus.

Protein: Either lamb meatballs or grilled chicken.

Toppings: cucumber and tomato, banana peppers, pickled onion.  (Sometimes I add slaw and/or olives)

Dressing: Tahini

I also love their juices and teas and normally get a glass that I fill half tea, half juice.

My husband likes the pita:

Pita, hummus and crazy feta, braised something (I don't know if it is beef or lamb, he doesn't go as often as me), cucumbers and tomato, slaw, banana peppers, lettuce.

• Like 1

I went to the Cava at Foxchase on Duke Street last night to bring home some dinner.  My first time at one of their locations.  I checked out the menu online, but didn't come here to check out the flavor combos others order.  I didn't do too badly, but I think I made a mistake ordering the grilled meatballs.  I got a bowl with black lentils, supergreens, hummus, tzatziki, harissa, tomato-onion salad, eta, olives and the dill dressing.  I enjoyed it but thought the meatballs were a little tough for a salad; I'm sure they work much better in a pita sandwich.  I was torn between those and the braised lamb and I picked wrong.  I also used their online nutrition calculator and the whole bowl was just a smidge over 550 calories.  So, a very healthy, tasty dinner and I'll be back to switch up my combo for an even better bowl.  My only problem was that the young woman at the head of the line spoke with a heavy accent and, for the life of me, I just could not understand her.  But with pointing and charades, we got through to each other.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EpicuriousGeorge said:

Yes. They must have some real money behind them. Also the spicy lamb meatballs will make you forget it is fast casual.

I believe Ted Leonsis and Steve Case are among their investors. 

I'm very glad they opened one in Silver Spring. :)

I LOVE Cava as a fresh, quick option for a workday lunch! I always order in advance to avoid the massive line. I always get a salad bowl with eggplant&red pepper, roasted red pepper hummus & tzatziki as the dips, chicken as the protein, diced cucumbers, tomato and onion salad, and kalamata olives and both the yogurt dill and sriracha greek yogurt. it's always a filling, healthy lunch and staff is always friendly.

The Cava Grill in Silver Spring is donating 100% of sales from 6pm-10pm tonight to the Red Cross' relief efforts relating to the Flower Branch Apartments explosion and fire. Apparently two of their team members were affected.

Here's the text of an e-mail they sent:

This past Thursday, an explosion and fire broke out at the Flower Branch Apartments complex in Silver Spring. More than 30 people were injured, including three firefighters, and nearly 100 people were forced from their homes. Among those evacuated were two of our Silver Spring team members.

The Red Cross was immediately on the scene, setting up a shelter a few blocks away for a safe place where families could reconnect with one another. They provided beds, food, counselors, and caseworkers for all of the victims. 

Join us at our Silver Spring Cava Grill tomorrow night, Tuesday, August 16th, between 6pm - 10pm for dinner. Cava will donate 100% of sales during this time to The Red Cross' relief efforts, supporting the residents of the Flower Branch Apartments and our two team members.

• Like 2

Salad with shredded lamb, hummus, red pepper hummus, quinoa, banana peppers, olives, cucumbers and tomato with light yogurt dill dressing- pretty darn good.  I was trying to not eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I did.  I had never had that dressing before, I normally get tahini, but it was really good too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Delicious said:

I got a chicken pita sandwich that I thought was a ripoff compared to their salads, due to the small pita and chintzy application of spreads. Or I could just be being pissy. Who knows at this point. 

Sounds like a little of both! :lol:

Though one can cause the other.

I went to get a salad and they were out of romaine lettuce, due to weather and quality issues. So, they couldn't source lettuce?! We're thru the looking glass, people! Also, there's a Giant right across the street with copious amounts of high quality romaine. You know, if they actually gave a shit. This place sux.

15 hours ago, Dr. Delicious said:

I went to get a salad and they were out of romaine lettuce, due to weather and quality issues. So, they couldn't source lettuce?! We're thru the looking glass, people! Also, there's a Giant right across the street with copious amounts of high quality romaine. You know, if they actually gave a shit. This place sux.

Tough crowd...  Occasionally restaurants run out of ingredients.  Depending on how you interpret the punctuation on their menu (placement of the comma leaves the question open), it seems they may advertise using organic romaine.  Perhaps the Giant was out of organic?  They also stress local farms and advertise which farms their produce comes from.  Sure, they could have put up a notice.  Or, Bob the manager is the only one entitled at the local branch level to spend money, and Bob was out that day.  Jim had called Bob's boss to get authorization to go over to Giant to buy the non-organic, non-local romaine lettuce, but that takes some time.  If they'd been out of romaine for a week, none of these really apply.  But if the romaine ran out that morning, perhaps they thought customers would be ok getting a salad with one of the four other greens options available...

• Like 2