Caffe Amouri, Independent Coffee Shop in Old Town Vienna - 107 Church Street NE

darkstar965

While out in Vienna recently, I got a recc on a nearby coffee place for a quick pickup that I'd never have found otherwise and thought I'd share.

Caffe Amouri is about 7 months old and is at 107 Church St NE in Vienna in a pretty non-descript strip mall. I'm guessing this is probably the best coffee spot in that immediate area and maybe top 3 in NoVa.

I instantly give points to coffee shop purveyors who roast on site since you know the java is fresher that way and most don't do this due to the cost.

Coffee was excellent. Owner very nice and there's a brand spankin' new, yellow and gleaming steel fairly high tech roasting machine right in the front of the cafe. My only pick, a minor one, is how they positioned and use the machine. It's set up like one might expect at a science museum and reminded me of the Way Back Machine. It has a velvet rope around it, a few scattered coffee burlap sacks for effect and it's connected to a laptop with its own stool. But maybe not so cool to run it during the day as they do since it's right next to the tables and makes a ton of noise.

Amouri has a thread on Yelp (like every other retailer on the planet it seems) but I wanted to point it out here since it's very good and may help someone out that way desperate for a quality cup.

I instantly give points to coffee shop purveyors who roast on site since you know the java is fresher that way and most don't do this due to the cost.

Coffee was excellent. Owner very nice and there's a brand spankin' new, yellow and gleaming steel fairly high tech roasting machine right in the front of the cafe. My only pick, a minor one, is how they positioned and use the machine. It's set up like one might expect at a science museum and reminded me of the Way Back Machine. It has a velvet rope around it, a few scattered coffee burlap sacks for effect and it's connected to a laptop with its own stool. But maybe not so cool to run it during the day as they do since it's right next to the tables and makes a ton of noise.

Is the coffee roaster officially operational? Last time I checked there were permitting issues and the roaster was just on display, not in use. However, that was a few months ago.

I'm glad you started a thread on this place, as the coffee is excellent and the owner and staff are extremely friendly.

Is the coffee roaster officially operational? Last time I checked there were permitting issues and the roaster was just on display, not in use. However, that was a few months ago.

I'm glad you started a thread on this place, as the coffee is excellent and the owner and staff are extremely friendly.

It definitely seemed operational earlier this week--owner and staff attending to it, beans spilling out of it and lots of noise. All in, I'd guess it the best coffee to be had in the Vienna area but I can't be certain since I'm more up on DC than outer VA.

I just stopped by Caffe Amouri last Friday. I agree that the coffee is probably the best in the immediate vicinity. I live right behind Jammin' Java and have had their coffee a few times, but maybe I hit it on off days or just ordered the wrong stuff, but I prefer to go there for the shows over the coffee.

There is a new place at the corner of Park and Maple in Vienna called "Plush" which serves coffee and gelato. I haven't been yet, but it's on my list to try. People seem to enjoy the gelato.

I accepted the challenge and visited today. Great latte, decent bagel, pleasant vibe, friendly service, and fast wi-fi. Big thumbs up.

Sadly, it's rather far on a weekday morning so I can't rush back. This doesn't fit the Needed Falls Church Independent Coffee Shop Niche!

I accepted the challenge and visited today. Great latte, decent bagel, pleasant vibe, friendly service, and fast wi-fi. Big thumbs up.

Sadly, it's rather far on a weekday morning so I can't rush back. This doesn't fit the Needed Falls Church Independent Coffee Shop Niche!

Great you enjoyed it but of course understand on the distances. Dolcezza's coffee "cube" by the Angelika in the Mosaic District may be your closest, decent-quality option. Those two, Caffe Aficionado by the Key Bridge and Northside Social are the only four in all NoVa of which I'm aware that really have the quality of the DC independents. There are of course others with a place to read, nice people and other features but not the kind of coffee I think you and I both value. MoCo suffers from the same thing.

Hopefully that changes. With all the great shops still sprouting in DC, surely some coffee entrepreneurs will see an opportunity to locate places with the traffic that are underserved. Falls Church, Reston and much of NoVa being such an area.