Hagerstown, MD

1000yregg

Olironstomach, Gubeen, and I went out to Schmankerl Stube Bavarian Restaurant in Hagerstown for an over the top German luncheon. We preordered their Knusperige Schweinshaxe, a whole pork shank, slow roasted so the skin is crispy and the meat inside is fall off the bone delicious.
First off, the restaurant is very classic- from the waitress' outfit to the German music to the faded 1970s-80's Bavarian tourism posters.
We started with 1 liter & 1/2 liter mugs of Spaten lager and tried some appetizers. The Wurst sampler was really good, particularly the Weisswurst. We also had a plate of pickled herring with cream sauce and Gef�lltes Brot, a sourdough bowl filled with pork and Hunter's sauce.
The Knusperige Schweinshaxe was a massive hunk of meat- probably the size of my head. It came with sauerkraut, red cabbage with apple, and a bread dumpling. It was so good. I could only eat about a third of my plate though.
For dessert, we had some gooseberry schnapps, housemade Black Forest cake and apple strudel.
This place is well worth to drive out for.
pics

58 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, MD
(301)797-3354

Back in the 1990s we lived mid-way between Frederick and Hagerstown and, having lived in Germany, we loved Schmankerl Stube. We went there at least once a month. The whole place was like a set-piece, a throwback to a different era. The owner, Charlie Sekula, is a wonderful guy. And their beer, especially the Hacker Pschorr Hell lager, was great. The best time to go, IMO, is on a lovely spring, summer, or early fall day/evening when you can sit outside in the 'Bier Garten' at the rear of the restaurant. It's so reminiscent of outdoor dining venues in Germany from yesteryear. Of course, it's been quite a few years since I've been to S.S., but I can't imagine much has changed. Glad to hear that it's still going strong and that you enjoyed it so much. You've inspired me to arrange a return visit!

For lunch Hartle's on Potomac across from the cemetary. This is a Hagerstown institution that dates to at least the early '70's with the signature sub a "hot ham all the way." North of Hagerstown (Greencastle, PA?)Chambersburg, PA?)is the plant for Martin's Famous Pastry Shoppe which has several incredible brands of potato chips fried in lard including Gibbles, Kay and Ray's (dark potato chip) and the best of all, Curly Kettle. All three are difficult to find; the last two are impossible to find.

Hartle's used to sell Gibbles.

Has anyone been to Schmankerl Stube recently? I'll be in Hagerstown for a week at the beginning of October and am wondering if it's worth my time and money. I ate there once years ago and really liked it, but recent reviews on another not-to-be-named site seem to indicate quality may have gone downhill. ;) I'm staying in a hotel with a kitchen in my suite so I won't *need* to eat out. Thanks!

I notice there is a thread in Hagerstown with no mention of the fantastic fried chicken place in the AC&T gas station by the outlets.  This may be some of the best fried chicken ever, really, it's great.  And the potato wedges and mac and cheese don't suck either.  I have stopped at this place on my forays across Maryland since I was a young'n.  

• Thanks 1

Has anyone been to Schmankerl Stube recently? I'll be in Hagerstown for a week at the beginning of October and am wondering if it's worth my time and money. I ate there once years ago and really liked it, but recent reviews on another not-to-be-named site seem to indicate quality may have gone downhill. ;) I'm staying in a hotel with a kitchen in my suite so I won't *need* to eat out. Thanks!

I've been twice in the last year and a few times in the years before that.  It hasn't changed.   The owner is still the same nice guy and the food seemed as good to me as it ever was.

Maybe there are other newer German options out there (if so, where?) and the recent downgrades are more indicative of a different point of comparison.  Dunno- I don't see it.

Now, it is a little bit corny with the waitress costumes and the occasions when they serve buffet style from warming trays can take a bit of the charm away.  But that's the exception not the rule - and part of the charm are the uniforms and the German decor.  Go for it - where else you gonna go in Hagerstown?  (note - once you've eaten you can drive down Rte 40 to Turner's Dual Lanes for some hot duckpin action!  That's something you can't find too many other places.)

I notice there is a thread in Hagerstown with no mention of the fantastic fried chicken place in the AC&T gas station by the outlets.  This may be some of the best fried chicken ever, really, it's great.  And the potato wedges and mac and cheese don't suck either.  I have stopped at this place on my forays across Maryland since I was a young'n.  

Seriously?  An AC&T, like the truckstop gas stations?  (I guess someone's gotta have good fried chicken!)

What does the chicken compare to?  Is it crispy, spicy, anything unique?

Seriously?  An AC&T, like the truckstop gas stations?  (I guess someone's gotta have good fried chicken!)

What does the chicken compare to?  Is it crispy, spicy, anything unique?

Ok, so the chicken place pre-dated the AC&T and the Outlets, it was in a previous place, when the outlets came in and that area got crazy they built the big and fancy AC&T, but I assume the chicken place didn't want to leave and probably owned the land (I assume this all) anyway most AC&T's don't have chicken, it's not like Royal Farms or something like that.  There just happens to be a chicken place in this one.  There will be lots of truckers and travelers who are in the know waiting to get their styrafoam box of goodness.  We normally would hop in a booth right there, sometimes though all the booths are filled and we would eat outside.  The sides are pretty good too.  (And the car wash at the gas station is great when driving back and forth from Garrett County.)

This is put in the fryer, not Maryland style cast iron skillet, always fresh because most hours of the day they have a line.  I would say style wise it's like an unspicy popeyes, but better juiciness on the inside.  It's a lot like country style fried chicken.  It doesn't have any sauce covering it or anything, it's just an amazingly good version of a classic. And cheap.

Go for it - where else you gonna go in Hagerstown? 

Nothing. :P I'm there for a week long class and it's going to be pretty crazy between the class itself, some evening events, and homework, but I'm thinking come Thursday I'm going to be desperate for a change of scenery from my hotel room (I'm there through Sat but my practical and exam are Saturday so Friday night will I'm sure be spent studying). Anyway, assuming that's true, which I expect it will be it sounds like this is still worth the stop. Thanks for the feedback!

Any recent meals people can report on? Headed there tomorrow to meet my mom for lunch. My mom is gluten free and has a lot of dietary restrictions in terms of seasonings, preservatives, etc. so simply prepared quality ingredients work best. Was looking at Rik's Cafe, but my mom wasn't thrilled or brunch at 28 South, which is a risk because there's no menu online. Input appreciated.

Any recent meals people can report on? Headed there tomorrow to meet my mom for lunch. My mom is gluten free and has a lot of dietary restrictions in terms of seasonings, preservatives, etc. so simply prepared quality ingredients work best. Was looking at Rik's Cafe, but my mom wasn't thrilled or brunch at 28 South, which is a risk because there's no menu online. Input appreciated.

Not recent, but Schmankerl Stí¼be is at least as good as Old Europe - Bulls & Bears is a place your mom might like, as its a very American-type restaurant (I've never actually eaten there, but it's a Clyde's-like saloon) - your mom might find something like a steak, or a chicken breast - the good part is that these two are within walking distance, so they're sort of "right where the action is" in Hagerstown, if there is such a thing - you can drive to one, poke your head in, and if you don't like what you see, move on. I suggest a reservation at Schmankerl Stí¼be, but they may not be open for Sunday brunch anyway.

We ended up at 28 South. They offer their lunch menu in addition to brunch on Sundays. Our server, who was fantastic (and took my mom's many special requests in stride, or really better) said much of the food is made in house, burgers are ground there, etc. We both had burgers, which were quite good. I also really enjoyed my well seasoned crispy fries. My mom raved about her salad dressing (maple fig I think?), multiple times, she really loved it. :P

It was a simple meal so nothing more for me to report on, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back based on this meal.

I was actually surprised, there were a few promising looking spots right in that area, in addition to the German place of course. And we saw a fantastic symphony performance at The Maryland Theater afterward.

Been meaning to post this for a while, but if you are around in the evenings, best to stop by Krumpe's Do-Nuts (yes, they spell it that way) for hot donuts. The place is hidden in an alley (I believe Do-Nut Alley) and only open 7pm-2am. Place has been around for decades (my parents have been going there for at least 40 years). Quite a novelty to eat fresh donuts in an alley!

Also not far from Hagerstown is some great beer at Cushwa Brewing in Williamsport. Not sure how long they've been in their business park location (maybe 2 years?), but they have some great stuff. They often have a local food truck on the weekends (and some local packed snacks all the time). Note to visitors: don't bring growlers cuz they won't fill them. They only do crowlers so they can assure freshness of their beer.

I was driving through Hagerstown, and stumbled upon a  strip mall BBQ joint called Lt Col  Big Jim's BBQ.   It was delish. Its a no frills BBQ spot that serves just BBQ, and a substantial variety of sides.  I had the Rib Sandwich , mac & cheese and cole slaw.(7.99 + 2 sides and a drink for an upcharge of  $2.99). It was so good, I wished I would have ordered some to take home with me. If there is one type of food that is lacking in my life, BBQ tops that list. I would love to take stateside road trip and try as many BBQ spots as possible.  Are there any other noteworthy BBQ places in this part of Maryland?

On 6/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, JoyS said:

Also not far from Hagerstown is some great beer at Cushwa Brewing in Williamsport. Not sure how long they've been in their business park location (maybe 2 years?), but they have some great stuff. They often have a local food truck on the weekends (and some local packed snacks all the time). Note to visitors: don't bring growlers cuz they won't fill them. They only do crowlers so they can assure freshness of their beer.

I was at Cushwa two weeks back myself and really enjoyed it. While many of the beers are the of the moment style of 8% (and higher) hazy IPAs, there was a biscuity lager I enjoyed (and forget the name of). Also the namesake Cush may be listed as a NEIPA but had the initial bite, smoother finish, and more reasonable ABV (6.5) of a feisty pale ale.