On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Guest All Dented

This unmoderated, unedited thread can be used by anyone and everyone who wants to get together for dinner, meet for a drink after work, rabblerouse, cavort and just enjoy the pleasures of each others company.

Feel free to post here as often as you'd like!

Going to see the Nats on Monday or Tuesday isn't possible for me. HOWEVER, I learned something in the last few days that some of us might want to note: on September 11, the Nats will be playing at RFK and it is also the first home game for the Deadskins. There should be a lot of Nats tickets available. I told Craig that I wanted to go the Nats game that day, since avoiding football in most instances has become a goal of mine. Using the Metro should be an interesting proposition. (Note: I was since my youth a football fanatic. Moving here ruined that for me. Instead I discovered baseball, a much better alternative.)

Please keep me in mind, the next time somebody here wants to go.

DID ANYBODY SEE TODAY'S GAME???

GO NATS!!!!

Barbara

[posted on eGullet 2003-2004, edited for currency...]

"O rus, ...."

-- Horace

"O Rus'!"

-- Pushkin, from Eugene Onegin

"Oh, Rus!!!!'

-- Tom Power of Corduroy, after Bill complained about soggy pizza crust.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em. Plus, I'm not expecting Corduroy to be a pizza parlor either.

I should stick with all the dozen other great things I've had out that kitchen.

DID ANYBODY SEE TODAY'S GAME???

We went with friends... the weather was gorgeous, our seats okay (way out by the left field foul pole, but they cost us nothing, so no complaints), taking the metro was no problem at all, the game decent (both teams had fielding problems), and the food... :lol:

The hotdogs "were not ready" until sometime after the game started, the pizza was deemed surprisingly acceptable by Mr. mktye (although the crust was definitely a bit soggy ;) ) and the pretzels were a predictable waste of perfectly good flour. Other foods observed, but not eaten by our group were: nachos with shockingly (even by ballpark standards) neon-orange cheese; french fries (the spiced batter-dipped kind -- like curly fries, but these were not curly); chicken fingers which were apparently good enough that the gentleman in front of us was compelled to interrupt his singing during the 7th-inning stretch to take another bite; and that oh-so-strange pelleted ice-cream-like substance.

The biggest downside of the game was a PA system that was far too loud and relentless. It turned what should have been a relaxing Sunday afternoon into an assault on the eardrums and gave the impression that the announcer was afraid we would all get bored and leave if we were not "interacting" in some way every thirty seconds. Take earplugs, seriously.

mktye's remarks made me think of a couple of things (and, no, I still haven't figured out the quote business--I'll have to buy Rocks another drink and get him in a headlock, I think):

If any of you read Tom Boswell's weekly WP online baseball chat, you would know that a whole lot of folk are complaining about the PA system and the LOUDNESS and all the unnecessary music. He promises to talk to the powers-that-be about that.

AND NOW SOMETHING FOR ALL OF YOU: Years ago, I think we were at the 7-11 when somebody was "dressing" a Big Bite, Craig dubbed that stuff that you pump out on your dog or "nachos" as EVOTS--Extra Viscous Orange Topping Substance. By using this acronym, you can avoid misusing the prefectly good word, "Cheese."

You're welcome.

We went with friends...  the weather was gorgeous, our seats okay (way out by the left field foul pole, but they cost us nothing, so no complaints), taking the metro was no problem at all, the game decent (both teams had fielding problems), and the food... :lol:  

I'll vouch for the cotton candy, although they only had pink, no blue or purple. Light, fluffy, enough sugar to get you through all nine innings. The popcorn isn't half bad either, as long as you avoid the butter.

Anybody know what the rules for tailgating are? I bet we could put together one hell of a spread, if we can get a couple of spots in the lots of course.

I'll vouch for the cotton candy, although they only had pink, no blue or purple.  Light, fluffy, enough sugar to get you through all nine innings.  The popcorn isn't half bad either, as long as you avoid the butter.

Anybody know what the rules for tailgating are?  I bet we could put together one hell of a spread, if we can get a couple of spots in the lots of course.

Ooh, I forgot about the cotton candy -- it appeared they only had purple on Sunday... :lol:

I don't know about official rules, but our friends drove and said that they witnessed a lot of tail-gating where they parked (in one of the closer-in lots). They got there about an hour before the game and said there was plenty of parking available.

Perhaps I'll join you - I could use a glass or two of wine.  Scott leaves tomorrow on a 3-day business trip and I will have the kids all to myself. :lol:

Ohhhhh, I may just join you too, if I get all my work done today. If it's just the three of us though, we should make you come north a little.

I could do something this evening, but I'm out Friday (turkey and mushroom hunting season). Vidalia has the Tuesday wiine tasting and I think there is an event at Mendocino. If Stephanie has to be at Komi at 7, Vidalia would be better than Mendocino. Or someplace else? I still can't figure out what is going on with the Bis discussion above.

When are you going to be there? Guess who's fronting the door starting at 6 pm??

Hopefully about 6 or 6:30. Will there be a spot at the bar? Looks like it'll just be me-- everyone else wants to go to the remote parts of the city like Dupont Circle and Georgetown.

Hopefully about 6 or 6:30. Will there be a spot at the bar? Looks like it'll just be me-- everyone else wants to go to the remote parts of the city like Dupont Circle and Georgetown.

I hate to see a man drink alone -- I'll try to make it too. I guess since I'm coming from a "remote part of the city" I should get off at Union Station?

Spot at the bar is a toss-up, but experiences teaches that something will come up eventually. I can possibly put a "reserved" sign on a table in the bar area until 6.30 for you lot. If outside is available, do you want it? There are, like, four tables in the patio and they tend to go quickly, but you never know.

Spot at the bar is a toss-up, but experiences teaches that something will come up eventually. I can possibly put a "reserved" sign on a table in the bar area until 6.30 for you lot. If outside is available, do you want it? There are, like, four tables in the patio and they tend to go quickly, but you never know.

The best seat in the house, of course. Or at least the best you can do for a guy wearing a fuschia mesh t-shirt, seersucker bermuda shorts, and black wingtips with knee-length black socks.

The best seat in the house, of course. Or at least the best you can do for a guy wearing a fuschia mesh t-shirt, seersucker bermuda shorts, and black wingtips with knee-length black socks.

On second thought, maybe I'll stay home tonight. :lol:

Al Dente (Dented?) always promises, but never delivers.  He was NOT wearing his assless chaps at Corduroy last Friday.  I'm SO disappointed. NOT :lol:   ;)   :P

My chaps were at the dry cleaners, so I apologize. I was however, wearing my longest black socks this evening. For the record, I did wear my Fat Albert hawaiin shirt Friday night. So there.

Was pleased to participate in the first (?) HH resulting from this particular thread on this particular board. Our inimitable hostess H@D, Nadya, graciously accomodated, Mr. Dente, Mr. Gastreaux, Hannah and myself at the Bistro Bis Bar (henceforth -- BBB) for an evening of stinky and other fine cheeses, small apps, and good wine -- although Mr. Dente at one point in the proceedings reverted to some form of reputedly Belgian Beer -- and gazing at the important politicos swirling about the place. Mr. Gastreaux made a point of making sure we knew what high company we were in.

Was pleased to participate in the first (?) HH resulting from this particular thread on this particular board.  Our inimitable hostess H@D, Nadya, graciously accomodated, Mr. Dente, Mr. Gastreaux, Hannah and myself at the Bistro Bis Bar (henceforth -- BBB) for an evening of stinky and other fine cheeses, small apps, and good wine -- although Mr. Dente at one point in the proceedings reverted to some form of reputedly Belgian Beer -- and gazing at the important politicos swirling about the place.  Mr. Gastreaux made a point of making sure we knew what high company we were in.

It was great having y'all there! Thanks for stopping by and contributing to my reputation as The Woman of the World Who Knows People gallopin.gif

Grr! Wish I could be there! Have fun

Was pleased to participate in the first (?) HH resulting from this particular thread on this particular board.  Our inimitable hostess H@D, Nadya, graciously accomodated, Mr. Dente, Mr. Gastreaux, Hannah and myself at the Bistro Bis Bar (henceforth -- BBB) for an evening of stinky and other fine cheeses, small apps, and good wine -- although Mr. Dente at one point in the proceedings reverted to some form of reputedly Belgian Beer -- and gazing at the important politicos swirling about the place.  Mr. Gastreaux made a point of making sure we knew what high company we were in.

Anybody going to the grill today?

Out of kindness of my heart, I suggested to my new boss that I make a run and get sandwiches for both of us....this is what replied:

"I do not particularly like sandwiches for lunch. I find it bad combination of foods."

Do you think that bodes well for our future working relationship?

blah.gifblah.gif

Heather:

If you're talking jelly jars with Fred Flinstone on 'em, then all I can say is: BRING 'EM ON!!! :lol: You might have to push us out the door, but not because our 90 minutes are up.

Besides, Busboy says you are a better cook than he is.

Heather:

If you're talking jelly jars with Fred Flinstone on 'em, then all I can say is:  BRING 'EM ON!!!  :lol:   You might have to push us out the door, but not because our 90 minutes are up.

No, just little pretentious French tumblers from Williams-Sonoma. But we have some Dragon Tales jelly jars for the kids. ;)

Besides, Busboy says you are a better cook than he is.

That's a filthy lie.

Speaking of steak tartare, and after a particularly nasty day at work, I am thinking of heading into the city and trying Circle Bistro's version this evening.  Anyone up for a glass of wine or three?

I couldn't get to the grill today either. I'll be there tomorrow too.

What time for Circle Bistro? I was going to hit Oyamel for happy hour, but I've been wanting to try Circle Bistro, too so I'll do that!

I couldn't get to the grill today either. I'll be there tomorrow too.

What time for Circle Bistro?  I was going to hit Oyamel for happy hour, but I've been wanting to try Circle Bistro, too so I'll do that!

At the rate I am going now I will not get there anytime before 6:30p.