Kimko Seafood, Korean Sashimi Featuring Live Octopus and Live Lobster - 10176 Baltimore National Pike in Ellicott City

Some Korean-American friends took me to Kimko Seafood in Ellicott City this weekend for Korean style sashimi. This place was mentioned under a different name, Bethany Seafood in a post by howchow a while ago. It's known to have lobster sashimi. I also found out from my friends that they often serve San Nakji, live octopus sashimi.

Unfortunately, when we arrived they had run out of the octopus for the week.

We ordered the large sashimi platter/dinner for the 5 of us. I believe it was $200. You start off with a small cup of congee, and then they brought out 20 different plates of bonchon. This included a large seafood pancake, fishes prepared in various forms- grilled/fried/raw, seaweed, edamame, potato salad, grilled chicken gizzards, rice with roe, seaweed soup, salmon collarbone, clams, and octopus.

The sashimi platter is served on a meter long plank. Korean style sashimi is also eaten with kochujang, the red chile pepper sauce, as well as soy sauce and wasabi. My friend told me Koreans also prefer to chewier pieces of sashimi, the most popular being halibut.
The lobster sashimi is pretty incredible. They take a fresh lobster from the tank, dispatch it, and right away, bring the tail split open and cut up topped with some roe. The remainder goes into a soup at the end of the meal. The meat is sweet, had a little bite at first, and then melts into the mouth.

I also loved the fresh sea cucumber sashimi. It is not at all liked the cooked sea cucumber I've had. It has a mild briny flavor and has the texture of raw octopus. We also had the abalone and sea squirt sashimi. Abalone reminded me of a mushroom, and the sea squirt, while bitter at first, was just ok.

The lobster soup is in a spicy broth also loaded with fish. It was wonderful.

PICS

How does this place compare to Annandale Seafood?

I've never been to Annandale Seafood.

Nor have I. pras, you're asking for a comparison of a really obscure Ellicott City Korean Seafood house with a really obscure Annandale Seafood house - in 7.5 years of running this website, this is one of the most improbable questions I've ever seen asked. Not that there's anything wrong with that; only that I think the odds of an answer will be fairly slim. But I am intrigued and fascinated by the question itself.

What do you know about Annandale Seafood? Could you start a thread for it?

Cheers,

Rocks

Nor have I. pras, you're asking for a comparison of a really obscure Ellicott City Korean Seafood house with a really obscure Annandale Seafood house - in 7.5 years of running this website, this is one of the most improbable questions I've ever seen asked. Not that there's anything wrong with that; only that I think the odds of an answer will be fairly slim. But I am intrigued and fascinated by the question itself.

What do you know about Annandale Seafood? Could you start a thread for it?

Cheers,

Rocks

Don--

I like that I intrigued you. Will write a review in a bit. I didn't realize that Korean sashimi was so obscure. After having it once I have thought about the meal ever since. I think its about time to trek back to Annandale!

After eating here last evening, I think maybe this should remain an obscure Korean Seafood House.

Granted, we had three kids and didn't do the whole sashimi thing, but it was really not too good. Although they feature the sashimi, the sushi rice itself was one on the highlights. The actual sushi ranged from not too good to terrible. The Shrimp tempura roll was built upon a shrimp that was probably tempuraed on Saturday at best, and we didn't want to think about how old it might be. The egg was bad, Salmon strangely overly salty and Octopus just a rubberband with a nori ring around it.. Even though the waitress checked back with me twice and I ordered by pointing and confirming, the order was still all screwed up.

Hot food wise, the Seafood pancake was pretty good, the off the menu fried rice was devoured by the kids, and the grilled beef was BBQd in the back and quite good. however the Spicy Cod soup was devoid of flavor other than straight spice, the Pork cutlets dry, and the pork belly Very over marinated, to the point of being mushy.

Then there is 5 minutes of figuring out the bill with the waitress since they rung up half the check as "9 open food....$50.95". this is apparently the translation for the 7 sushi items we tried to order, received six of (different items, but six of them), plus the fried rice. Of course, 9 open food, makes perfect sense.

My wife and I don't have many meals with the whole family together due to my schedule and this one was felt like we had wasted one.

We did enjoy the Blue Angels prior, though.

• Like 1