Farmers' Markets Around the World

mame11

I have loved farmers' markets ever since my undergraduate days at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I spent most Saturday mornings eating from a bag of fresh cheese curds while buying fresh produce from the wide variety of farmers at the Dane County Farmers' Market.

I realize now that I use visits to farmers' markets to see a side of the communities I visit that I would otherwise miss. I'd love to know which markets y'all think are not to be missed, regardless of location. For example, I think if you love farmers' markets as I do it would be worth planning a special trip to Madison just to visit the Dane County Farmers' Market. I'm not kidding.

It will also be interesting to see what observations we have of the markets we visit. E.G. this past weekend I noticed the prepared food vendors were far busier at the Peachtree Road Farmers' Marketin Atlanta than the fresh produce vendors.

Additionally, it may be possible to identify sources of local products that are worthy of special orders...

So... what do you think?

Well if you are ever in Melbourne, the Queen Victoria Market is worth a stop. Fish, meat, breads, cheese and other grocer type vendors inside, fresh fruits and vegetables and bins of bulk grains, beans and etc outside. There is a huge variety and a lot of fruits we had never eaten before, or that just were so much better here than we get imported like passionfruit. Really was a fun stop.

If you ever find yourself in Mysore India then definitely check out the Devaraj Market, a heady warren of produce, incense, spices, flowers. Your first priority should be to buy and sample as many different types of mangoes as they are selling...fantastic.

If you are in Mysore, no doubt you will be visiting the Mysore Palace (#1 palace in the world, Buckingham Palace #2), the market is a quick jaunt from the palace grounds.

Admittedly, I have not been to very many farmer's markets in my life, especially outside of the US, but I was pretty much blown away when I went to the Ferry Building Marketplace in San Francisco - http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com. We went on a Satuday, when the farmer's market was there as well, and I have never seen so much stuff that I wanted to eat.

The Jean-Talon Market in Montreal is rad. I went a few Septembers ago, and they were full of great produce and fruit, in addition to the best maple syrup ever. Also, the meat market has horse, in case you're interested. In talking to my friends that live there, apparently Montreal wasn't a great food town until recently, but you wouldn't know it by this market.