dr.com 2011 Spring Picnic

agm

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bring a cooler along and I know there's a 7-11 on Elkin, just a little north of the park, so I'll pick up a couple of bags of ice there. I've got a few disposable plates that I can add to the fray as well.

I'll also be bringing 2-3 bottles of some sorts of Chardonnays that I have no idea if they're any good -- Boss keeps buying me a bottle here and there to show his appreciation, which is sweet, but he gets me Chardonnay b/c that's what his wife drinks and I don't particularly care for Chards :D and he's not a wine drinker, so he doesn't know if it's any good B)

Up until yesterday I thought we were going to be out of town this weekend, but now it turns out my wife needs to work, so i will try to make the picnic with my six-month old, so long as he cooperates! I'll bring a Swiss chard dish I like.

I'm coming +1. B)

Gorgonzola and bacon mac-n-cheese is ready to pop in the oven and then into the "hot" cooler. Smoked pork butt (with Lexington NC -style bbq sauce) will also be in the hot cooler.

"Not Ready for the Rapture" eggs are looking pert and pretty.

And wine. There might be some additional "adult refreshment" coming with the +1. Too early to tell. Cigars for sure.

I will also bring some improvised name/food tags (aka Avery labels).

Rhone1998 - bring the baby, cooperative or not . . . we like babies - they are delicious!

I'll also be bringing 2-3 bottles of some sorts of Chardonnays that I have no idea if they're any good -- Boss keeps buying me a bottle here and there to show his appreciation, which is sweet, but he gets me Chardonnay b/c that's what his wife drinks and I don't particularly care for Chards :D and he's not a wine drinker, so he doesn't know if it's any good B)

I'm bringing a bottle of Chard, too, because I had a "function" at my place in April and when asked "What kind of wine would you like?", the answer was almost unanimously "Chardonnay." Also, I'm bringing a bottle of Mark West Pinot Noir because the local Harris Teeter had it on sale. My introduction to this was at the bar of Rays the Classics, served by the glass. How bad could it be? Not bad at all; in fact, it's pretty good.

Pissaladière being prepared now ...

And, Thérèse (who will be there with her New! Boyfriend! (who doesn't speak much English, so everyone please make Jean François feel welcome)) has officially declared the pissaladières (one large and about 8 minis) <<ratées>> (which means "ruined"). You see, I didn't have a single thing in my refrigerator before this weekend, and I also have this 1950s-style electric "range" in which the oven, when set to 450, goes up to about 300 degrees. They will taste just fine, but the crust didn't turn golden brown (she has a good, hot, wood-burning pizza oven in her home in Nice), and indeed, they look quite blanched. Still, they're the real deal, made with hand-rolled flour spread with a touch of anchovy paste, then layered with greatly reduced, caramelized white onions, and topped with whole anchovies and olives that were hand-carried from Nice and acquired from an <<olivier>> who is personal friends with Thérèse - they're little tiny things, similar to picholines (which are grown on the south side of the river facing his olive plantation; his is on the north side and better supports another type of olive that I can't remember the name of). Knowing Thérèse and her very healthful way of cooking (she weighs about five pounds), these will be on the mild side, but a very good introduction to authentic pissaladières Niçoises (if less assertive than the norm).

NB I was the one who lobbied for the anchovies and anchovy paste because that's the way they do it there; she was like, "nobody will like the anchovies!" She underestimates this crew.

PS Beware the pits in the olives; it would be heresy to use unpitted ones.

A sudden family obligation has now trumped my ability to attend today. I am so, so sorry for the late notice as I do really want to be there, but family . . . not much left and I need to be there. Hope it's as successful as I supsect it will be.

well, i'm sorry to say that pete signed me up for black and white cookies but a 2 month old and a last minute invitation to a girls night out kept me from baking last night. so we are bringing an assortment of cookies from SIlva's bakery. we are also bringing some plates and napkins and wine.

I'm bringing a bottle of Chard, too, because I had a "function" at my place in April and when asked "What kind of wine would you like?", the answer was almost unanimously "Chardonnay." Also, I'm bringing a bottle of Mark West Pinot Noir because the local Harris Teeter had it on sale. My introduction to this was at the bar of Rays the Classics, served by the glass. How bad could it be? Not bad at all; in fact, it's pretty good.

Quite good!

Last minute and I'm sorry, but I don't have a big cooler. Must have lent it out at the end of the season last year and didn't get it back. I'm still coming, but I'm not packing ice.

I will pick up a few bags of ice on my way down (leaving right now) to go in Skipper's cooler. Anyone else who might have a cooler (medium-large) and can bring it, that would be great.

See you all very soon!

I will pick up a few bags of ice on my way down (leaving right now) to go in Skipper's cooler. Anyone else who might have a cooler (medium-large) and can bring it, that would be great.

See you all very soon!

I'll bring an one medium sized empty cooler, leaving from arlington now.

Older son and I are coming, bringing a cooler with ice and an eclectic assortment of strange non-alcoholic beverages. Probably buy beer when we stop for ice.

Doubt we'll be there before 2:00. Can't believe how soundly I slept!

Today was a great day for the picnic, not too hot, & the rain held off until later-everything was delicious, but next time, I'm not bringing pulled pork (although can you ever have too much pork?) & I literally pulled the poundcake out of the oven, onto the tinfoil, & off to the picnic-next time, I'll plan ahead & let it cool so the powdered sugar doesn't melt.

I think I ate a little less at this picnic (or maybe I'm just getting better at pacing myself) & it was so relaxing-sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to everyone. Now, for the fall picnic, no pulled pork or poundcake, time to come up w/ something else, & I'll bring the full sized grill, if someone will cook on it (& it's nice to huddle around, if it's chilly). Thanks Goldenticket for organizing, I hope we collected enough donations to cover the site fee...

This was a real treat for us, being in the middle of a kitchen demolition that prevents us from cooking much. Thanks to Don, Goldenticket and Leleboo and everyone else for organizing and sharing their treasures. I think I ate more pork yesterday than in the entire year thus far. It was simply fantastic, as was everything else I tried (Dan Dan noodles, rice salad, chocolate covered bacon, oh my!). And M. Gastreaux's Martian Pig Slop From Hell was truly extra-terrestrial. Thank you!

I feel bad that I had to leave early, but here are my pictures from today's picnic.

Great pictures* and we're glad you could be there! Thanks to everyone who came out - especially KMango and Crackers (and their helpers) for the set-up and clean-up support! We had a good showing from the next generation of Rockwellians, with babies L. and M. making their first picnic appearances, along with old hands Peanut, Edgy, baby M's big sis (another) M, and les enfants de Banco, .

It was a lovely, warm day with just a sprinkle of rain and lots of good food and drink. Beautiful sides of all sorts and delicious desserts... and plenty of pork, though nary a scrap left at the end of the day. Spicy spinach lasagne was a favorite for me. Thistle, I thought that pound cake was delicious!

* You made my humble veggies and dip look like a work of art B)

A great time was had by all. I fell asleep on my chair about 10 minutes after getting home.

PS - the party supplies have taken up a temporary home in my basement. Tons of cups and plates left.

A beautiful day, a beautiful time, and a beautiful tribute to Karen. Don, I'd love to hear what her parents thought of both the day and the diverse cuisine, powerfully special that they could attend.

Special thanks to GoldenTicket, Crackers, Leleboo-behind-the-scenes, and others who rallied the planning and logistics for another banner event.

Props to the Park Ranger for the flashback of college party days when the fuzz stopped by to check on the scene---the thrill of possibly getting busted never gets old.

The pics from 1000yregg are excellent---hats off for such a good eye and memory keeper.

Personal faves included the dolmas, dan dan noodles, rice salad with herbs, lamb meatballs with yogurt sauce, and the smoky crunch in the deviled eggs. I did not get to try many of the wheat-bearing products, but greatly enjoyed the gluten free cookies. And, of course, the lemonade was matched in refreshment only by the abundance of friendly conversation.

My mother in law said she gained several happy kilos from Thistle's pound cake---she raved about the warmth and delighted in the melted, infused icing. She demanded a recipe, something about threatening to disinherit us all if she did not get one...

Maybe we can start a Spring 2011 recipe thread?

Maybe we can start a Spring 2011 recipe thread?

If we do, I request the dan dan noodles and spicy spinach lasagna recipes...and the gorgonzola bacon mac & cheese....and the swiss chard salad...and the brownies.....

Hmmm...maybe I should just say ALL the recipes B)