Auld Lang Cuisine

Anyone remember the Silo Inn that was on Georgia Ave. just south of Olney.  They had a great salad bar, wonderful baby back ribs, and great service.

I do remember it, also the sandwich place that was right next door (owned by the same people). They had a very good Italian Sausage sub. I often wondered why they had a miniture golf course behind the restaurants.

Anyone remember the Silo Inn that was on Georgia Ave. just south of Olney. They had a great salad bar, wonderful baby back ribs, and great service.

In the 1950's the Silo Inn was called Martin's Dairy and it was a working farm which had ice cream better than Gifford's. Well, it may not have actually been better but it seemed better because you would eat at picnic benches sitting outside with a bunch of cows and their associated effluvia nearby. Truly authentic and at the source. To further put this in perspective Wheaton was just a crossroads with the Anchor Inn-there was no Wheaton Plaza. The 6-7 miles between Glenmont and Olney was mostly farmland-Martin's Dairy/Silo Inn was truly WAY out in the country. Further out in the country was Peter Pan. I remember weekends in the summer when we'd go to Peter Pan on one day and a week or so later go for ice cream at Martin's. Seibel's was around then too in Burtonsville but it didn't compare at all to Martin's. In retrospect there were a lot of "working" dairy farms that had soda fountains then. Only a handful remain today with Longacres on route 100 south of Allentown coming immediately to mind.

Perhaps this is not the propper place for this comment as it's not the restaurant I miss, but I'd give anything for Wendy's to bring back the Superbar.

I'm not sure I'd give up anything, but the Superbar was the roadtrip fast food of choice.

Reasons #38 and #39 that Chesapeake House is the rest stop of choice:

- Popeye's fried apple pies

- make-a-souvenir-penny, Frank Zappa edition

We miss Honolulu Restaurant.  It used to be at the intersection of North Kings Hwy and Telegraph Rd in Alexandria, but thanks to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge project is was closed then eventually torn down.

Welcome Biscuit Girl. I miss that place too. Friendly staff, decent food, divey cheesy decor, cheap prices, and super high octane polynesian drinks that'd put you on your ass.

Sincerely,

Suffering Bastard <_<

Welcome Biscuit Girl. I miss that place too. Friendly staff, decent food, divey cheesy decor, cheap prices, and super high octane polynesian drinks that'd put you on your ass.

Sincerely,

Suffering Bastard <_<

Ah, the drinks, the wonderful, wonderful *hic* drinks.

I remember many a summer evenings (after having dinner and a couple of fog cutters or scorpians and hubby having a couple of suffering bastards) walking outside of the cocoon that was Honolulu ....... into daylight? 9:00 on a summer's night and it was still light out! How can this be? We're way too intoxicated for it to be light out!

Oh what memories ;)

It was dark. Lobbyists and older Congressmen must have loved it! The Blue Hawaii in Bethesda had a number of booths with beads covering the sides of them-you couldn't see in. I can remember a waittress who would ring a bell before pulling the beads back!

They were very popular.

Does anyone actually miss Trader Vic's?

Back in the day, I was a Night Auditor at the Capitol Hilton. I was required to collect the receipts from Trader Vic's every night. This was the definition of torture, in a foodie sense. The kitchen personnel would somehow hose down everything, which meant that I had to tip-toe through water which contained the detritus of that night's efforts. A TV cook was usually busy preparing a meal for the staff of the restaurant. The smell of THAT was enthralling. I, however, was condemned to whatever slapdash food the room service staff came up with for my (required by the Union) meal. Masochist that I was at the time, I would always ask what was being prepared. "Crab Omelet." Doesn't that sound nice? I got a cold "Reuben" sandwhich, which was probably the WORST allegedly "Reuben" sandwich in the world.

The payoff happened, though, when my Mother came for a visit and I took her to Trader Vic's for dinner. The Captains and the Waiters just FAWNED over us. My Mother was SO impressed. Then I put her on a plane back to El Paso, and returned to my more "pedestrian" life. I still think about those Banana Fritters, however. <_<

I still miss the original Le Gaulois on Pennsylvania Avenue. There was a time in the mid-70s when it was my favorite restaurant in the whole world. I ate at its reincarnation in Alexandria in the early to mid 90s and boy it wasn't the same.

During the late 70's / early 80's I lived on the same block as Le Gaulois. Great neighborhood block, now it's filled with a big Michael Graves building.

An amenity of my building was that its front door was a straight shot across Pennsylvania Ave from Mr. Henry's Washington Circle. No, their food isn't the most vivid thing I remember about the place.

Sadly, in today's Washington Post is the obit for Henry Yaffe, the owner of the Mr. Henry's saloons. The obit noted that the "chain" stretched at one time through the Washington area.

During the late 70's / early 80's I lived on the same block as Le Gaulois. Great neighborhood block, now it's filled with a big Michael Graves building.

An amenity of my building was that its front door was a straight shot across Pennsylvania Ave from Mr. Henry's Washington Circle. No, their food isn't the most vivid thing I remember about the place.

Sadly, in today's Washington Post is the obit for Henry Yaffe, the owner of the Mr. Henry's saloons. The obit noted that the "chain" stretched at one time through the Washington area.

Mrs. B took me to Le Gaulois on one of our first dates. After she spent all that money I me I felt, you know, obligated, but it all worked out. Very fond memories.

Also on that block: Trieste, the first place I ate out after I arrived at GW for college; the 21st Amendment, where we crew jocks would go to get wasted, the Chinese Disco (as mentioned in The Preppie Handbook ) and the aforementioned Mr. Henry's, where a Georgetowm Law student/guitarist used to sing a song called "Dissolute Living" while my friends and I bought hime beers.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Arbaugh;s, a German sparerib place on Connecticut Avenue between the Sheraton Park and the Shoreham. I used to go weekly for their ribs and fries. I realize now that the ribs were not that good but it is at least 25 years ago that it closed.

I also remember Hammel's which was located on 1Oth above Pennsylvania Avenue where the FBI Building is now. Hammel's had planked rock bass surrounded by mashed potatoes and other vegetables which is still as good a dish as I can remember. When the FBI forced them to move, they were in Georgetown for a few years and closed.

Tippy's Taco House which had live music and later changed its name to something else.

There are still a few Tippy's around. I used to take guilty pleasure in eating the enchiladas and tacos with plenty of hot sauce and the molten yellow stuff they claimed was cheese.

I used to go to the "Chi Di."  It was a chinese restaurant during most of the week but on Friday evenings, they pushed all the tables to the walls, brought in a DJ and played "beach music"  and everyone did the "shag."  Jesus, that brings back memories.

I remember more than a few hot summer Friday nights at Chi Di with what seemed to be the entire Capitol Hill summer intern staff. The beer was never cold enough!

Arbaugh's was a D. C. institution.  The original Calvert Woodley location was nearby also.  Across the street from Arbaugh's was Tippy's Taco House which had live music and later changed its name to something else.

The original Calvert Woodley was in Woodley Park? That is, the Wisconsin Ave. location near Old Europe was not the original? I didn't know that. When was this? And apparently Tippy's Taco in Woodley Park was before my time also. The name it changed to wouldn't be Tucson Cantina, would it? That's an institution I don't miss at all.

I used to go to the "Chi Di."  It was a chinese restaurant during most of the week but on Friday evenings, they pushed all the tables to the walls, brought in a DJ and played "beach music"  and everyone did the "shag."  Jesus, that brings back memories.

Is anyone else laughing histerically trying to picture JG doing the "shag"? <_<

The original Calvert Woodley was in Woodley Park? That is, the Wisconsin Ave. location near Old Europe was not the original? I didn't know that. When was this? And apparently Tippy's Taco in Woodley Park was before my time also. The name it changed to wouldn't be Tucson Cantina, would it? That's an institution I don't miss at all.

he earlier name for the Tucson Cantina was Tippy's which was part of the national chain when it opened. I don't think the food changed at all when the name changed-it was never very good. But Tippy's date to the late '60's or so.

Also, I may be wrong. There was a liquor store at the corner of Connecticut and Calvert a few doors down from Arbaugh's. There was another, I think, near where People's was on Connecticut where the street angles in next to where the Sheraton Park used to be (Wardman Park?). Now that I think of it, was the one on the corner of Calvert called Sherry's or something like that? I believe you're right about C/W being near where Pearson's is today although I can't exactly picture it. Sorry for my confusion.

The earlier name for the Tucson Cantina was Tippy's which was part of the national chain when it opened.  I don't think the food changed at all when the name changed-it was never very good.  But Tippy's date to the late '60's or so.

Also, I may be wrong.  There was a liquor store at the corner of Connecticut and Calvert a few doors down from Arbaugh's.  There was another, I think, near where People's was on Connecticut where the street angles in next to where the Sheraton Park used to be (Wardman Park?).  Now that I think of it, was the one on the corner of Calvert called Sherry's or something like that?  I believe you're right about C/W being near where Pearson's is today although I can't exactly picture it.  Sorry for my confusion.

That was Sherry's. They gave up their corner space below Marilyn Monroe for a one, assumes, cheaper location across the street, and Chipotle's took over their space a couple of years ago.

The earlier name for the Tucson Cantina was Tippy's which was part of the national chain when it opened.  I don't think the food changed at all when the name changed-it was never very good.  But Tippy's date to the late '60's or so.

Also, I may be wrong.  There was a liquor store at the corner of Connecticut and Calvert a few doors down from Arbaugh's.  There was another, I think, near where People's was on Connecticut where the street angles in next to where the Sheraton Park used to be (Wardman Park?).  Now that I think of it, was the one on the corner of Calvert called Sherry's or something like that?  I believe you're right about C/W being near where Pearson's is today although I can't exactly picture it.  Sorry for my confusion.

Very interesting. I had no idea that Tucson Cantina had been a Tippy's. Or that Tippy's was a national chain, for that matter. I thought it was a local chain. But yeah, Tucson Cantina was a long-running flop. As for Arbaugh's, I remember it being there but never ate there myself.

Sherry's Liquour was in the space now occupied by Chipotle on the northwest corner of Connecticut and Calvert until a few years ago--6 or 7 I think. They moved across Connecticut into a space facing Calvert Street, where they are still operating. I remember the layout of the old Calvert Woodley, up by Old Europe, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was exactly. Was it in a building torn down to make room for the newish building that once housed Germaine's? And does anyone miss Germaine's? (I'm trying to keep this on topic.) And wasn't there a pretty good little French restaurant further down the block, in what looked like an old, small house? What was that called?

The French restaurant was Napoleon, or Napoleon's - I can't remember exactly. 

Hm...that doesn't ring a single bell. Perhaps there has been more than one French restaurant there. The place I'm thinking of would have been in the late 80s to early 90s (I think).

Hm...that doesn't ring a single bell. Perhaps there has been more than one French restaurant there. The place I'm thinking of would have been in the late 80s to early 90s (I think).

Well, I graduated from high school in 1984, so that's what the place was called then. I have no idea how long it lasted.

I remember a La Nicoise on the east side of Wisconsin, just north of R, where the waiters were on roller skates and there were two lions in the front. As for Napoleon, that was up towards Woodley, on the east side of Connecticut, down from the Wardman Towers, and called itself "La Maison du Filet Mignon."

I remember a La Nicoise on the east side of Wisconsin, just north of R, where the waiters were on roller skates and there were two lions in the front. As for Napoleon, that was up towards Woodley, on the east side of Connecticut, down from the Wardman Towers, and called itself "La Maison du Filet Mignon."

The place I'm thinking of was on the west side of Wisconsin, a block or so south of Calvert Street (and south of Pearson's, Old Europe, Austin Grill (if that was there then), and Germaine's). The location you describe for Napoleon... am I correct in understanding that's the block and side of the street currently housing Petits Plats, Lebanese Taverna, Cafe Paradiso, etc.? I don't remember that at all. But then, if it was in the early to mid 80s, I was rarely in that neighborhood.

Speaking of that neighborhood, for a time I thought Thai Town, which closed a couple of years ago, was the best Thai place in the city, so I miss it, even though in its later years it had gone to the dogs. To return to Arbaughs, when Thai Taste first opened in the same space, I thought that was the best Thai place in the city. It went to the dogs rather quickly. But I miss it as it was at first. I've eaten at the current Jandara in that space, and it was a not-bad Thai place, but that was a long time ago and it's probably gone to the dogs. Thai places all seem to. Remember Thai Room, on Connecticut just below Nebraska? I believe it was the first Thai restaurant in the city, and it was the first Thai restaurant I ever dined in, and it was very good when it first opened (some time around 1977, I think). Years later it was still there and just awful.

Al Dented has seen me shag (click), but with the goat it was necessary to four-step, and in general, I want to three.

Build me up, buttercup.

Rocks.

Hmmmmmmmmm.......does anyone remember the Calvert Pastry shop and their homemade ice cream? Or the disco (i.e. bar/club) The Keg? Which was a disco but also had some fantastically good sliced bbq'd beef sandwiches that they sold at a stand in front of it. Of course I'm now talking about the.....early and mid '70's (think Saturday Night Fever). For that matter, does anyone remember Ventuno 21?

The place I'm thinking of was on the west side of Wisconsin, a block or so south of Calvert Street (and south of Pearson's, Old Europe, Austin Grill (if that was there then), and Germaine's). The location you describe for Napoleon... am I correct in understanding that's the block and side of the street currently housing Petits Plats, Lebanese Taverna, Cafe Paradiso, etc.? I don't remember that at all. But then, if it was in the early to mid 80s, I was rarely in that neighborhood.

Speaking of that neighborhood, for a time I thought Thai Town, which closed a couple of years ago, was the best Thai place in the city, so I miss it, even though in its later years it had gone to the dogs. To return to Arbaughs, when Thai Taste first opened in the same space, I thought that was the best Thai place in the city. It went to the dogs rather quickly. But I miss it as it was at first. I've eaten at the current Jandara in that space, and it was a not-bad Thai place, but that was a long time ago and it's probably gone to the dogs. Thai places all seem to. Remember Thai Room, on Connecticut just below Nebraska? I believe it was the first Thai restaurant in the city, and it was the first Thai restaurant I ever dined in, and it was very good when it first opened (some time around 1977, I think). Years later it was still there and just awful.
that's where Napoleon's was - in a townhouse on that side of the street. I haven't driven past there in a few years, so I don't know if that building survives. Nor do I recall the other French restaurant you mention south of Calvert, but those were the years when it seemed like one was opening every month.

The Thai Room was where I experienced my first stuffed chicken leg and the joys of small, fiery chilies and lemongrass. In the late 1970s, it was a unique adventure, especially given the banal Chinese-American joints that dotted that part of upper Northwest.

The Thai Room was where I experienced my first stuffed chicken leg and the joys of small, fiery chilies and lemongrass. In the late 1970s, it was a unique adventure, especially given the banal Chinese-American joints that dotted that part of upper Northwest.

The Thai Room has an interesting place in cold war history. It was a well known hang-out for "Cultural" personal from the Soviet embassy. The restaurant was off-limits to members of the Navy Security Group (the Navy's version of NSA) that were stationed a short distance away on Nebraska Avenue.

In the late 1970s, it was a unique adventure, especially given the banal Chinese-American joints that dotted that part of upper Northwest.

Speaking of joints in that part of town, remember Cafe Burgundy (I believe where Buck's is now)? That place was a trip, especially the plastic fruit chandelier.

The Thai Room has an interesting place in cold war history. It was a well known hang-out for "Cultural" personal from the Soviet embassy. The restaurant was off-limits to members of the Navy Security Group (the Navy's version of NSA) that were stationed a short distance away on Nebraska Avenue.
aybe that's why Quigley's was always so crowded. It surely wasn't because of the food.

Speaking of joints in that part of town, remember Cafe Burgundy (I believe where Buck's is now)? That place was a trip, especially the plastic fruit chandelier.

as Cafe Burgundy involved in sponsoring race cars? I managed to avoid it, opting instead, for whatever reason, to take my chances with the bartenders at the Royal Warrant and the Round Table. Always a roll of the proverbial dice.

In its day and at its best, Quigley's wasn't a bad place to get a burger and a beer. It wasn't any good for anything beyond that, but it wasn't bad for that. I worked at AU for a very long time, and there wasn't anything else within easy walking distance of the campus, so Quigley's got a lot of default business. There still isn't anything good in that neighborhood, of course.

I liked Quigley's back in the day.  It was certainly priced right for a poor AU student.

I agree with you and The Hersch about its utility as a decent beer and burger joint, especially given the paucity of choices in that neighborhood. Compared to Melio's and De Carlos, it was fine.

In its day and at its best, Quigley's wasn't a bad place to get a burger and a beer. It wasn't any good for anything beyond that, but it wasn't bad for that. I worked at AU for a very long time, and there wasn't anything else within easy walking distance of the campus, so Quigley's got a lot of default business. There still isn't anything good in that neighborhood, of course.

I had a few decent meals at the short-lived RD venture, Dolcetto, but the neighborhood just didn't support it.

Tony Cheng at his Szechuan restaurant (615 I St., NW) revolutionized D. C. Chinese starting in the late '70's. At one point Washingtonian AND the Washington Post each listed it as one of the three best restaurants in the city. I may have had 25 to 30 banquets there over the years. For me there is nothing today that is better than what his chef would do then for special meals. His regular menu which was more conservative (i.e. today, the norm) was excellent; but for banquets there were extraordinary dishes. He was also the first to open a good Chinese grocery in this city, the Da Hua grocery next door to Szechuan.

As much as I hate to say this his restaurant on H street is only a very distant second to Szechuan. On Chowhound there were a legion of fans who raved about Full Kee and several others. For me, Tony Cheng's Szechuan has still not been replaced.

Wasn't that Szechuan Pavilion on K Street? Some interesting dishes. But I used to measure Szechuan against Shun Lee Palace, Shun Lee West and David K's in New York back then. I also remember my first trip to Hunan in San Francisco. Anyway, for me, these only reinforced Szechuan. I have no idea whatever happened to Szechuan's chef.

...............I think that was 25 years ago...............

ugh!