#1 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

Con-grat-u-la-tions !!!

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#2 Banco

Banco

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

Con-grat-u-la-tions !!!

Wow. Congratulations, Zora. I feel honored to be goofing off in the same board as you.

#3 squidsdc

squidsdc

ika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Yay Zora! Congrats on the win!!!

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"--The Great Oz

#4 TheMatt

TheMatt

Man Among Men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Big congrats, Zora!

TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#5 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yay, Zora! This is wonderful.

#6 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

Congratulations!

#7 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

Congrats!

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#8 Kibbee Nayee

Kibbee Nayee

Mayor of Springfield Dining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

We are honored to be in the presence of her greatness. Now may we please taste some....?

Do you eat chicken with your fingers?
No, I eat my fingers separately.

#9 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

We are honored to be in the presence of her greatness. Now may we please taste some....?

Umm--I'm hoping the former remark is ironic. Unless you were referring to my large-ness. And friends, as far as the latter goes, this is a really simple recipe (as opposed to the third-place winner, whose sauce involves wood-smoking vegetables for hours). If you have the ingredients on hand--and the only slightly obscure ones are ancho chile powder and Sriracha--it'll take you about 15 minutes to make it from start to finish.

#10 weezy

weezy

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

Congratulations, zora!

Louise Comninaki

Lady Goodknife, LLC

a knife & scissor sharpening service

ladygoodknife at gmail dot com

#11 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Wow! Such a wonderful story, Zora!!! Congrats!!!!
Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#12 DrXmus

DrXmus

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

I just happen to have all the ingredients, including the old blackboard eraser. I'm going to have to give this combo a try soon. Seriously, the recipe sounds awesome.

Sandy Christmus

http://www.ovvhpets.com

Vienna, VA

Why is it that to doctor a document is to falsify it, but to vet it is to check it for its accuracy? - Anu Garg

#13 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

Umm--I'm hoping the former remark is ironic.

or allusive. Zorba the Greek. Zorra the Great... Mazel tov!

#14 KMango

KMango

Mischieftain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

High five, Zora! We are lucky you won, and can enjoy this recipe all summer long.
-KMango

"Everyone expects me to do certain things. It puts a ceiling on your progress. You’re blocked by your pride. To get good, you have to throw your board around and fall." -Rodney Mullen

#15 Keithstg

Keithstg

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

CONGRATS!

#16 Heather

Heather

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

Congratulations!!

#17 Smita Nordwall

Smita Nordwall

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

Congratulations, Zora.

#18 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Umm--I'm hoping the former remark is ironic. Unless you were referring to my large-ness. And friends, as far as the latter goes, this is a really simple recipe (as opposed to the third-place winner, whose sauce involves wood-smoking vegetables for hours). If you have the ingredients on hand--and the only slightly obscure ones are ancho chile powder and Sriracha--it'll take you about 15 minutes to make it from start to finish.

Sounds fabulous and a piece of cake to make. The only thing I'll have to buy to make this is the "ball park" mustard. Haven't bought any of that in years.

#19 thetrain

thetrain

ventworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

The only thing I'll have to buy to make this is the "ball park" mustard.

Don't buy it, or stadium mustard, in Cleveland or you'll end up with the wrong kind!

And thank you Zora for creating a winning simple recipe that nearly anyone can make, looking forward to trying it.

#20 MsDiPesto

MsDiPesto

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Congratulations on being recognized! With a pic to boot! B)

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. - James Beard

#21 sphere777

sphere777

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Congratulations on being recognized! With a pic to boot! B)

Indeed! Congratulations.

#22 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Great job, Zora!-as much as I love my eastern NC vinegar sauce, I'll definitely give this a try. I hope you have fun judging the bbq contest...

#23 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Thanks everybody for all of the good wishes! My impulsive decision to enter this bbq sauce contest and the subsequent win have been a big ego boost and a bit of a reminder that the passion I have for food and cooking resides in my heart and brain, even when the rest of my body isn't able to go along for the ride. When Bonnie Benwick from the Post called me to tell me that I had been chosen as a finalist, I had completely forgotten about entering the contest.

I truly regret not being able to come to the picnic to see old friends and meet new ones, but hope that by the time of next picnic I'll be back on both feet and cooking on all cylinders again.

Warm regards to all!
-zora

#24 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

even when the rest of my body isn't able to go along for the ride.

Just remember, in today's litigious world ... sued is what hexed used to be.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#25 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

Zora, your food knowledge is amazing and I'm happy for your winning entry.

#26 jm chen

jm chen

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

So exciting! Big congrats to you, Zora.
Jael

pop culture commentary: Intrepid Media
cooking up a storm: the SIMMER blog

#27 monavano

monavano

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

I can not wait to try this recipe! I was going to make it tonight but don't have any yellow mustard. When I make it, I'm making it right. I'm going to serve it with either pork or chicken. Am also intrigued by the smoking and Zora has become our very own grill master.
Kudos!

#28 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

So exciting! Big congrats to you, Zora.

Thanks, Jael! I loved your book! I was completely engrossed in reading it while I was in the hospital, after recent surgery--it took my mind off my misery, and for that I am truly grateful!

#29 lion

lion

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Con-grat-u-la-tions !!!

Congratulations! :-)

Thinking about trying it for some eggplants during the first summer grilling. Any particular kind of eggplant you would recommend?

#30 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Thanks, Jael! I loved your book! I was completely engrossed in reading it while I was in the hospital, after recent surgery--it took my mind off my misery, and for that I am truly grateful!

Re: Jael's book: Pay attention to an upcoming announcement on this website!

I went to the White House farmers' market today to pick up some chicken thighs from Garden Path Farms to grill this weekend with your sauce. Nena is invited to partake and, hopefully, pictures will be forthcoming.

#31 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Congratulations! :-)

Thinking about trying it for some eggplants during the first summer grilling. Any particular kind of eggplant you would recommend?

I like to grill slices of small eggplants like Asian or Italian ones.

#32 DrXmus

DrXmus

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

I made Zora's sauce yesterday and slathered it on grilled chicken, with extra for the table. Six of seven people went ga-ga over it! The one abstainer can't do any spice at all, so I assumed she wouldn't be interested. I'm having more today with Popeye's chicken tenders, and the lunch is planned around the sauce! I look forward to doing it again and using pure ancho powder. All I had in the house was Penzey's and Bloemer's, so I used a tbsp. of each. Good, good stuff, Zora. Thanks!

Sandy Christmus

http://www.ovvhpets.com

Vienna, VA

Why is it that to doctor a document is to falsify it, but to vet it is to check it for its accuracy? - Anu Garg

#33 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

I made Zora's sauce yesterday and slathered it on grilled chicken, with extra for the table. Six of seven people went ga-ga over it! The one abstainer can't do any spice at all, so I assumed she wouldn't be interested. I'm having more today with Popeye's chicken tenders, and the lunch is planned around the sauce! I look forward to doing it again and using pure ancho powder. All I had in the house was Penzey's and Bloemer's, so I used a tbsp. of each. Good, good stuff, Zora. Thanks!

Excellent news! So glad you tried it and it made you and your dinner guests happy! When I was informed that I was a finalist, two of the folks at the Washington Post who judged the contest told me in private phone conversations that they REALLY liked it. I only found out that I had actually won the contest about an hour before the story went up online.

Now watch some commercial company'll take the recipe and make a million bucks bottling it as an "award-winning sauce." B)

#34 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

I used it on grilled chicken last night too. Excellent sauce and very easy to make.

#35 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, except I used Rancho Gordo New Mexican Chili Powder, instead of Ancho. When I first made and tasted the sauce, I thought it was probably too hot for people other than myself and didn't add any Sriracha. Interestingly, after sitting in the fridge for a day or so, the heat dissapated quite a bit. It was very tasty slathered on some grilled chicken thighs and there is plenty left over to use again B) . But, I will be sure to add some hot sauce to it before using it again. Such an easy sauce to make, it's almost a shame. Thanks, Zora!

#36 lion

lion

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:06 AM

I like to grill slices of small eggplants like Asian or Italian ones.

Thanks! Looking forward to trying it soon.

#37 Banco

Banco

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, except I used Rancho Gordo New Mexican Chili Powder, instead of Ancho. When I first made and tasted the sauce, I thought it was probably too hot for people other than myself and didn't add any Sriracha. Interestingly, after sitting in the fridge for a day or so, the heat dissapated quite a bit. It was very tasty slathered on some grilled chicken thighs and there is plenty left over to use again B) . But, I will be sure to add some hot sauce to it before using it again. Such an easy sauce to make, it's almost a shame. Thanks, Zora!

I made it last night, doubling the recipe, and had the same experience: too spicy at first. But then when I cooked with it, it mellowed and turned out perfect. I used this on baby back ribs last night and, if you were to play a recording of the sounds my family made as we tore through those two racks of ribs, I don't think it would be work safe. Well done, Zora!

#38 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

I made it last night, doubling the recipe, and had the same experience: too spicy at first. But then when I cooked with it, it mellowed and turned out perfect. I used this on baby back ribs last night and, if you were to play a recording of the sounds my family made as we tore through those two racks of ribs, I don't think it would be work safe. Well done, Zora!

I used part of a leftover chicken breast in a Cobb salad and the chicken has a nice spiciness to it from the sauce that penetrated the meat. Nothing overpowering at all, but a good flavor.

#39 Pete

Pete

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

I used this on baby back ribs last night and, if you were to play a recording of the sounds my family made as we tore through those two racks of ribs, I don't think it would be work safe. Well done, Zora!

Ditto. What a fantastic sauce! Congratulations on winning the contest, although I find it a little odd that the winner of a BBQ sauce recipe contest wins (among other things) a collection of bottled BBQ sauces. B)

Lisa: Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?
Homer: Well, I think the veal died of loneliness.

#40 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

I made it last night, doubling the recipe, and had the same experience: too spicy at first. But then when I cooked with it, it mellowed and turned out perfect.

That's why I made the amount of Sriracha unspecific--it's fiery stuff. And for the WaPo contest, please note that I called it "Spicy South Carolina Mustard Sauce."

Ditto. What a fantastic sauce! Congratulations on winning the contest, although I find it a little odd that the winner of a BBQ sauce recipe contest wins (among other things) a collection of bottled BBQ sauces. B)

Not only that, but a book of bbq sauce recipes! I have not received them yet, but I will look it all over and decide whether I have the pantry space to spare, in anticipation of lazy days when I don't feel like making my own sauce. Or maybe I'll give them away. One of them is supposed to be Rockland's sauce, which I actually like a lot. So I'll probably hang onto that one. What I am looking forward to is the bbq crawl with Jim Shahin, the Post's bbq columnist. He's taking me and the 2nd place winner backstage at three bbq restaurants, to see "how they do it"--Rockland's, Hill Country, and a third one I can't recall. As far as the Safeway-sponsored bbq competition, where I am to be an honorary judge: well, i hope they have an air-conditioned space somewhere, for me to hang out in. Spending a July day outside in downtown DC is not an ideal activity for someone whose personal comfort zone ranges up to a maximum of 78 degrees or so, with low humidity. Kind of like today.

#41 johnb

johnb

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

Now watch some commercial company'll take the recipe and make a million bucks bottling it as an "award-winning sauce." B)

You'll never know for sure because they'll say the recipe is "secret." :D

BTW, I haven't chimed in on this thread before but congrats to my fellow WashPo culinary contest winner. I think we are in a fairly small frat-sor-ety. Alas my recipe for half-smokes served over white beans never did become Washington's "signature dish," but I have high hopes for the future of Butt-Kickin BBQ Sauce!

#42 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

As far as the Safeway-sponsored bbq competition, where I am to be an honorary judge: well, i hope they have an air-conditioned space somewhere, for me to hang out in. Spending a July day outside in downtown DC is not an ideal activity for someone whose personal comfort zone ranges up to a maximum of 78 degrees or so, with low humidity. Kind of like today.

Word. Dame Edna likes to tell people that I like the temp at home to be 55 degrees and he likes it at 85--so we compromise at 55. Is it my fault the boy doesn't know from menopause? B)

#43 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

According to today's Washington Post food section, mine was the most downloaded recipe during the month of May. It brings to mind a WWI era dance craze as depicted in the Fred Astaire film "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle" : 'Too Much Mustard' - B)

#44 monavano

monavano

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:13 AM

According to today's Washington Post food section, mine was the most downloaded recipe during the month of May. It brings to mind a WWI era dance craze as depicted in the Fred Astaire film "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle" : 'Too Much Mustard' - B)

Wow, congratulations! I bought yellow mustard yesterday with your recipe in mind.

#45 MC Horoscope

MC Horoscope

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Love this recipe! We've used the sauce a couple of times on chicken and want to try it on eggplant next!

Do you smell veal and peppers? - - David Letterman

#46 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Love this recipe! We've used the sauce a couple of times on chicken and want to try it on eggplant next!

Let me know how it tastes on vegetables. The WashPost editors added those veg recs. I've never tried it on anything but pork and chicken. B)

#47 weezy

weezy

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Zora -- I saw in today's WaPo online that they're having another BBQ sauce battle. Are they going to let you defend your title against all comers?

Louise Comninaki

Lady Goodknife, LLC

a knife & scissor sharpening service

ladygoodknife at gmail dot com

#48 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

I entered another sauce recipe, but I'm not sure if I'll be disqualified because I won last year. Before I sent in a recipe, I volunteered to help do the judging, but never heard back, so I guess the answer was "no."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users