California -- A Temporary Master Thread

porcupine

[i've been asked to split this thread into 3, for northern, central, and southern.  Sundae in the Park, since you've made most of the posts recently, what would you suggest as geographical divisions?]

Per the discussion in the following posts, I've split the old "California: Small Cities and Towns" topic into four:

California, Southern: LA County south to the Mexico border

California, Central: Ventura County to Santa Cruz

California, Northern: north of San Francisco to the Oregon border

California, Inland: everything east of the Coast Range, more or less

All are in the Intrepid Traveller Index.  There are still separate topics for the major cities, so please consult the index when trying to decide where to post.  Thanks!

And Sundae in the Park, don't stop "nattering" about these places - you're giving good info here.

And ps to Don - I'll add tags in the next day or so.  My brain hurts.

As a Californian, the distinction of California as 3 parts is a bit problematic as the central and eastern portion doesn't fit this trichotomy.  But for coastal California:

I think Southern California would be the border north to Los Angeles County.

Central California starts at Ventura county and reaches thru Santa Cruz.  The problem here is that part of Santa Cruz is more of a bedroom adjunct to San Francisco and the Bay Area  which I would put in Northern California.  As well as Napa, Contra Costa, Alameda and Santa Clara.  San Benito I would group with the Central Coast

Northern California, then, is San Mateo to the northern border even though there is another divide above Mendocino.

Inland, there is no real Southern California.  And the trichotomy idea doesnt really work.

Imperial country to San Bernardino is typically called the Inland Empire.

The great center of the non coastal part of California is a very different place than the Inland Empire and runs from  Inyo and Kern to Mono, Mariposa, Merced and Stanislaus for sure.

The rest of the inland North really seems like it consists of two zones, but they arr just not contiguous.  Gold country and Tuolumne are very different from Yolo or Modoc, but Shasta and Lassen are different from the former.

Not sure if any of this helps in the quest you have Mrs P {not the quest for pine nut tarts, but of clarity in the subthreads}.

As a Californian, the distinction of California as 3 parts is a bit problematic as the central and eastern portion doesn't fit this trichotomy.  But for coastal California:

I think Southern California would be the border north to Los Angeles County.

Central California starts at Ventura county and reaches thru Santa Cruz.  The problem here is that part of Santa Cruz is more of a bedroom adjunct to San Francisco and the Bay Area  which I would put in Northern California.  As well as Napa, Contra Costa, Alameda and Santa Clara.  San Benito I would group with the Central Coast

Northern California, then, is San Mateo to the northern border even though there is another divide above Mendocino.

Inland, there is no real Southern California.  And the trichotomy idea doesnt really work.

Imperial country to San Bernardino is typically called the Inland Empire.

The great center of the non coastal part of California is a very different place than the Inland Empire and runs from  Inyo and Kern to Mono, Mariposa, Merced and Stanislaus for sure.

The rest of the inland North really seems like it consists of two zones, but they arr just not contiguous.  Gold country and Tuolumne are very different from Yolo or Modoc, but Shasta and Lassen are different from the former.

Not sure if any of this helps in the quest you have Mrs P {not the quest for pine nut tarts, but of clarity in the subthreads}.

Ha, what Dean said.  Or, I could just stop nattering on about random parts of California. For the coastal divisions, pretty much yes to where Dean places the tripartite cuts. But the Central Valley and desert areas (or, the entire east part of CA) does get more complicated and doesn't really fall into the coastal scheme. Perhaps three threads for the coasts outside of the bigger/more popular cities (where the posts are likely to be concentrated anyway) and then a noncoastal cities and towns for everything else? That should be intuitive enough to folks who actually want to use the information.