Kitchen 911

legant

Okay to brown a sausage and partially cook it before putting it into a pot whose contents will be tomato sauce in about 45 minutes? Or do I have to cook it till the ground pork isn't pink any more?

I have cooked raw meatballs in tomato sauce without any browning at all. I do not see any difference with a sausage. It seems to be the same as boiling the sausage, which is a generally acceptable method of cooking sausages.

Of course, this message has not been approved by the FDA.

Okay to brown a sausage and partially cook it before putting it into a pot whose contents will be tomato sauce in about 45 minutes? Or do I have to cook it till the ground pork isn't pink any more?

I would imagine that is standard restaurant practice for such a dish if they want to finish it a bit closer to service. Nothing wrong with it.

No reason not to. Alternatives: remove the sausage from casing, brown meat and chop while it cooks--then you can drain all the fat and add the ground sausage to the tomato sauce for however long it will cook; brown the whole sausages and cook them almost all the way through, slice them into discs and add those to the partially cooked sauce.

I had an appetizer at Rustico last night that was served on a bed of asparagus carrot slaw. It was thinly shaved aspagarus and carrot strips and tasted of lemon, olive oil and maybe some herbs. I would love some guidance on how to replicate the flavors and am open to using different veggies. Hoping to serve something similar for dinner tomorrow with some smoked pulled pork.

I'm looking for a (chocolate) mousse recipe that does not contain raw eggs. I will be serving someone with a compromised immune system; salmonella is a very real concern. I've found one that uses gelatin and mascarpone. Other suggestions?

I'm looking for a (chocolate) mousse recipe that does not contain raw eggs. I will be serving someone with a compromised immune system; salmonella is a very real concern. I've found one that uses gelatin and mascarpone. Other suggestions?

Are you open to a dairy-free version (tofu-based, sinfully decadent)? Or is that straying too far away from your intention to stay close to the classic...

Are you open to a dairy-free version (tofu-based, sinfully decadent)? Or is that straying too far away from your intention to stay close to the classic...

(KMango, I was thinking the same thing.)

Legant, David Lebovitz points out that he has modified Julia Child's traditional French chocolate mousse recipe to use pasteurized egg whites instead of raw eggs.

The salmonella problem appeared in industrial farming techniques, not in Farmers Market, organically/humanely raised chicken eggs. The problem with the pasteurized eggs from the supermarket is that the whites won't whip--a real problem in making mousse. You can always do a chocolate souffle, which should solve the problem, since it is cooked. There is also chocolate creme brulee or pots de creme, both of which use cooked eggs. Seriously, the origin of the eggs is the key to safety.

I realize this isn't what you're asking, but would homemade chocolate pudding suffice? The eggs in a pudding are cooked, which skirts the problem.

Being the non-milk drinker in the house, I bought a quart for the little man, thinking that he'd go through it fast. But that is not the case and the expiration on the bottle is for tomorrow, Apr. 24. Any suggestions? I was thinking of making waffles with it, but what else, I don't know. Help?

Being the non-milk drinker in the house, I bought a quart for the little man, thinking that he'd go through it fast. But that is not the case and the expiration on the bottle is for tomorrow, Apr. 24. Any suggestions? I was thinking of making waffles with it, but what else, I don't know. Help?

g0t an ice cream maker?

How about edging-into-unseasonal hot chocolate, or hot vanilla (hot milk with vanilla and a touch of maple or other sweetener)?

And there's always pudding.

And dulce de leche.

On the non-drinking form, how about a milk bath? Add essential oils, and the milk also keeps the oil from making the tub too slippery. Milk can also form the basis for a salt or sugar scrub.

Are you sure that is not the "sell by" date? I have used milk up to a week past the stamped date. As long as it smells OK, it should be fine to drink.

Are you sure that is not the "sell by" date? I have used milk up to a week past the stamped date. As long as it smells OK, it should be fine to drink.

I use milk past its sell by date all the time. One thing I have found is that fuller fat milks tend to keep a lot longer than lower fat milks. Whole milk lasts me a long time, usually. Milk that's sitting unopened in the refrigerator is often fine when opened on or after the sell by date (within reason :lol: ). It's opening it that starts the clock ticking.

As for using the milk, mac and cheese made with a white sauce uses quite a bit. You can also freeze milk.

Presuming it's got some fat in it (whole milk is best), make farmer's cheese - heat the milk, add acid (vinegar or lemon juice) and let it curdle. Drain it through a cheese cloth or fine strainer, and set aside to firm up, then refrigerate.

I bought a couple of bone-in pork chops from Let's Meat on the Avenue in Del Ray. I want to smoke them in a smoker bag with hickory chips. What temp would you advise (not mentioned on the product) and would you add any more spice/rub/marinades than s&p?

We'll be using our gas grill.

Thanks!

Can I freeze a fresh uncooked salmon fillet? I have never frozen fish before so I am unsure of the consequences. Most likely it was already frozen once before on its way to Whole Foods, so perhaps it could weather the trauma one more time.

Can I freeze a fresh uncooked salmon fillet? I have never frozen fish before so I am unsure of the consequences. Most likely it was already frozen once before on its way to Whole Foods, so perhaps it could weather the trauma one more time.

Fresh generally means that it has not been previously frozen. Be sure, because if it was frozen and then thawed it cannot be frozen a second time--unless you cook it first. If it has never been frozen, you can freeze it.

Fresh generally means that it has not been previously frozen. Be sure, because if it was frozen and then thawed it cannot be frozen a second time--unless you cook it first. If it has never been frozen, you can freeze it.

I was under the impression that almost all seafood was store in ice sometime between the catch and delivery to the store.

I was under the impression that almost all seafood was store in ice sometime between the catch and delivery to the store.

Which is why my Safeway sells shrimp and whatnot as "thawed for your convenience." Personally, I'd rather buy it still frozen so that re-freezing won't be an issue. Also, if it's still frozen, then I don't have to worry about how long it has been sitting out deteriorating. Almost all wild-caught salmon is cleaned and then promptly frozen. I, personally, would take the chance and refreeze it, but not after all this time.

Fresh generally means that it has not been previously frozen. Be sure, because if it was frozen and then thawed it cannot be frozen a second time--unless you cook it first.

This was certainly the rule when I was a lad, but is it really still the rule? Obviously if it's been thawed it can be frozen again, but the rule used to be that refreezing what had been thawed would lead to almost certain death, like going into the swimming pool not long after eating. (I think it's now believed that it's possible to eat and then swim without instantly dying.) Is the refreezing ban still actually generally accepted?

This was certainly the rule when I was a lad, but is it really still the rule? Obviously if it's been thawed it can be frozen again, but the rule used to be that refreezing what had been thawed would lead to almost certain death, like going into the swimming pool not long after eating. (I think it's now believed that it's possible to eat and then swim without instantly dying.) Is the refreezing ban still actually generally accepted?

According to this, its OK if the food has been properly thawed.

USDA

Is the refreezing ban still actually generally accepted?

To me, the primary issue is the texture--food that is thawed in a refrigerator and then refrozen may be safe to eat from the perspective of spoilage, but salmon that has been frozen and thawed more than once prior to cooking is going to be mush.

I'm roasting a chicken tonight, but don't know what to do with the little bag of "goodies" tucked inside the little guy. If I'm going to make a gravy with them, do I essentially simmer them in some water with veggies to make a quick stock, then throw them out and reduce? Can I feed them to my cats?

I'm roasting a chicken tonight, but don't know what to do with the little bag of "goodies" tucked inside the little guy. If I'm going to make a gravy with them, do I essentially simmer them in some water with veggies to make a quick stock, then throw them out and reduce? Can I feed them to my cats?

I pull the meat off the neck and chop the other parts and put back in the gravy. There's one thing you're not supposed to use (the liver?) because the flavor is too strong, but when I use any of the giblets, I use all of the parts. Sometimes I don't use any. I'm sure the cats would like any parts you don't want (except for the neck, with all the thin bones).

I usually simmer for at least 90 minutes to make the stock, so I don't know if that's what you consider "quick."

Keep em keep em keep em.

You can make stock, sure, that's might tasty. But rubbing herb butter on them, salt + pepper, and putting them in a little oven-proof dish next to your chicken as it roasts is another super (and super easy) way to prepare them. They cook far more quickly than the bird, of course. Which gives you something to snack on as the poultry aroma envelops your abode.

If consuming heart, liver, and gizzard is not appealing to you, your cats would probably adore them uncooked. A good friend of mine feeds her pets a raw meat diet and the cats cherish everything chicken-innard. But unless they are used to that kind of chow, it might not be wise to dabble with their digestive tracts. I leave that up to the more feline-versed to advise.

I use the "gibblets" as I call them in the pan to make the pan juice. I place them in the bottom of my roasting pan, along with vegetables such as onions, carrots and celery. As the chicken cooks, I add chicken stock to the bottom of the pan, and that, along with the chicken juices are used to baste the chicken while it cooks.

After cooking the chicken and while it rests, I take out the chunks of vegetables to serve on a serving platter with the chicken, or in another dish, and the rest is drained to use for pan gravy. I don't eat the giblets, but I feel that they add to the depth of pan gravy flavor. In the end, they've served a good purpose and are tossed.

Liver gets sauteed in a small frying pan in olive oil or butter, until medium rare. Sprinkle on fleur de sel and enjoy as a treat for the chef. Neck goes into a small zip bag and then into the freezer to be added to the stock pot the next time chicken stock gets made. The heart and gizzard get cooked in a small amount of water, then chopped up and fed to the cat/dog.

Can chard stems be frozen for stock?

[Yes, I could have cut the stems and sauteed them before adding the chard leaves but I had waaay too much chard... went a bit overboard at the market this past weekend... and just couldn't fit the stems in the pan.]

[Yes, I could have cut the stems and sauteed them before adding the chard leaves but I had waaay too much chard... went a bit overboard at the market this past weekend... and just couldn't fit the stems in the pan.]

Members of the cabbage and beet families are generally not used to make stock. Soup, yes. But stock is the underpinning for other soups, sauces or stews, and you don't want it dominated by such a strong flavor. Marcella Hazan has a wonderful dish that makes use of chard stems: she says they should be whole, but they can also be chopped. They should be cooked in chicken stock until just tender, then oven-baked with a covering of good parmesan cheese. Very tasty.

I'm making a baked feta and spinach phyllo roll to serve tommorow afternoon (assemble whole, bake, slice, serve). I'd like to get it in the oven around 3pm or so, but would like to assemble it in the morning. Can I assemble it beforehand, including buttering the top? I plan to cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for a few hours, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake.

Thanks!

I'm making a baked feta and spinach phyllo roll to serve tommorow afternoon (assemble whole, bake, slice, serve). I'd like to get it in the oven around 3pm or so, but would like to assemble it in the morning. Can I assemble it beforehand, including buttering the top? I plan to cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for a few hours, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake.

Thanks!

I'm not the best person to answer this, I'm sure, but I find that you can't have enough butter with phyllo. If you butter the top in advance (which you probably should do to keep the top from getting hard), I'd butter it again before sprinkling with sesame seeds and baking.

Zora's right.

(Well, DUH, Madame Obvious.)

I also actually experienced it recently. I was sauteeing some chard at the same time as I was making broccoli soup, so I just threw the stems in the soup. Even though they were a relatively small amount compared to the rest of the contents, the flavor is really pronounced, and I'm not very happy with it. Well, only a gallon more of healthy chard-broccoli soup to go... :)

Any suggestions for simple/easy dishes that use ingredients that are in season locally right now? I'm headed to a cabin for a 4 day weekend with the pups and am looking for ideas of things I can make ahead of time and take along or make while I'm there with minimal supplies needed (the cabin will be poorly stocked in terms of cooking equipment although I think I will take my chef's knife, a cutting board, and my smallest stainless saute pan). Specifically I'm looking for sides to make for a Sunday supper when my mom stops by - I have a pork loin that I'm going to brine and need sides for that, but if it won't specifically go with that, I'll happily make it for another meal. I don't hold back on the cooking/drinking just cause I'm in a cabin. :)

Any suggestions for simple/easy dishes that use ingredients that are in season locally right now? I'm headed to a cabin for a 4 day weekend with the pups and am looking for ideas of things I can make ahead of time and take along or make while I'm there with minimal supplies needed (the cabin will be poorly stocked in terms of cooking equipment although I think I will take my chef's knife, a cutting board, and my smallest stainless saute pan). Specifically I'm looking for sides to make for a Sunday supper when my mom stops by - I have a pork loin that I'm going to brine and need sides for that, but if it won't specifically go with that, I'll happily make it for another meal. I don't hold back on the cooking/drinking just cause I'm in a cabin. :)

For sides, I would suggest gratins that you can take in their own dish and heat up after you arrive. Or parboil some veggies, freeze or refrigerate them, and then sauté them there. The last time I was in this situation, staying in a cabin along the Appalachian Trail, I cooked a potfull of Ossobucco Milanese and reheated it in its own pot. If you're not too much of a purist you can even do the accompanying risotto beforehand as well.

Thanks!

I wound up baking my Greek phyllo roll in the morning, and gently reheating it later in the afternoon. Turned out great, filled with spinach, feta, parsley, green onions and sun-dried tomatoes. Recipe from Williams-Sonoma The Weeknight Cook.

I wound up baking my Greek phyllo roll in the morning, and gently reheating it later in the afternoon. Turned out great, filled with spinach, feta, parsley, green onions and sun-dried tomatoes. Recipe from Williams-Sonoma The Weeknight Cook.

Can anyone experienced in cooking Chinese food tell me if red bean paste is an acceptable substitute for broadbean paste? Or is my ma po tofu going to taste like dessert?

Dessert.

Broadbean paste is fermented bean paste; a wiki search yielded that Korean gochujang might be similar, or just a mild, fermented bean paste might do the trick. Except not red beans.

Dessert.

Broadbean paste is fermented bean paste; a wiki search yielded that Korean gochujang might be similar, or just a mild, fermented bean paste might do the trick. Except not red beans.

Thanks! Now I need to find a recipe for mochi, I guess...

When converting a BBQ sauce recipe to a dry rub -- I'm not a fan of sauces and gravies and such -- is there anything else I need to take into consideration other than removing the liquids? And, substituting garlic powder and minced onion for the fresh stuff?

What do I do with the butter? I'm guessing it's used to add a "richness" to the finished sauce.

If I did use fresh garlic/onions, is there any "harm" in freezing the excess spice mixture for future use?

* 2 cups tomato sauce or ketchup

* 1/2 cup apple juice

* 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 5 Tbsp butter

* 3 Tbsp paprika

* 2 Tbsp chili powder

* 1 Tbsp chipotle powder (optional)

* 4 finely chopped garlic cloves

* 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped

* Salt to taste

* Cayenne to taste

When converting a BBQ sauce recipe to a dry rub -- I'm not a fan of sauces and gravies and such -- is there anything else I need to take into consideration other than removing the liquids? And, substituting garlic powder and minced onion for the fresh stuff?

They're different creatures. I'd suggest starting with a recipe for a dry rub.

What do I do with the butter? I'm guessing it's used to add a "richness" to the finished sauce.

If I did use fresh garlic/onions, is there any "harm" in freezing the excess spice mixture for future use?

* 1/2 cup apple juice

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 5 Tbsp butter

* 3 Tbsp paprika

* 2 Tbsp chili powder

* Salt to taste

* Cayenne to taste

What is there about this recipe that you want to replicate with a rub? Whatever it is, I am positive you can find a recipe for said rub by googling. I just turned up about 1,860,000 results in 0.21 seconds using as search terms

dry rub paprika

and about 19,900 results in 0.38 seconds using as search terms

dry rub paprika chili powder chipotle onion garlic

Or you could split the difference and use a wet rub. I prefer a wet rub myself, with olive oil and ground up garlic, and cumin, and salt, etc.

But that recipe you cited, yeah, that's a sauce. If you put it on stuff that's on the grill, while it's on the grill, it's gonna burn. Tomato sauce, sugar, apple juice, yeah, it'll burn. You can put it on the last few minutes.

* 1/2 cup apple juice

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 5 Tbsp butter

* 3 Tbsp paprika

* 2 Tbsp chili powder

* Salt to taste

* Cayenne to taste

The non-liquid elements of this sauce could all go into a rub--it's the ratios that's the problem. You are right that you want to substitute garlic powder and onion powder (dehydrated minced onion is too coarse) because fresh will burn, but it also needs more kosher salt, and black pepper. Less brown sugar, although do not eliminate entirely--many rubs have brown sugar in them. I wouldn't use chili powder and chipotle powder and cayenne. I make mine with cumin, powdered oregano and ancho powder--you've got plenty of mild red pepper flavor with the paprika (or you could add or substitute part of the paprika with Spanish pimenton dulce to get the smoky flavor you'd get from chipotle). And then add some cayenne for heat. I make a jarful of spice blend and keep it in my drawer until I've used it up, then make more. I use it when grilling steak and roasting chicken, on grilled mushrooms. No butter.

The non-liquid elements of this sauce could all go into a rub--it's the ratios that's the problem. You are right that you want to substitute garlic powder and onion powder (dehydrated minced onion is too coarse) because fresh will burn, but it also needs more kosher salt, and black pepper. Less brown sugar, although do not eliminate entirely--many rubs have brown sugar in them. I wouldn't use chili powder and chipotle powder and cayenne. I make mine with cumin, powdered oregano and ancho powder--you've got plenty of mild red pepper flavor with the paprika (or you could add or substitute part of the paprika with Spanish pimenton dulce to get the smoky flavor you'd get from chipotle). And then add some cayenne for heat. I make a jarful of spice blend and keep it in my drawer until I've used it up, then make more. I use it when grilling steak and roasting chicken, on grilled mushrooms. No butter.

I use fresh garlic but not for direct grilling, for smoking low and slow, e.g., Cuban style pork shoulder. But then, when I grill, I don't use sauce or rub, just a marinade.