Kitchen 911

legant

I'm making a watermelon and chipotle bbq sauce and simmering it slowly. It's a lot of watermelon juice, so the sauce is pretty thin right now. I'm afraid that reducing it will lead to just less sauce, but still thin. I already added a small can of tomato paste in the beginning.

Would anyone add more paste? Any other thickeners?

Perhaps just reassure me that it will thicken as it reduces? :)

I was going to bake a blueberry cake this afternoon, so I pulled out a stick of butter and 2 eggs so that they both could come to room temp. I am just not in the mood now that I've got a chicken baking and have already made 3 sides. Can I leave them out until tomorrow morning (when I intend to make the cake) or should I put them back in the fridge?

Yours in salmonella-avoiding gratitude.

I was going to bake a blueberry cake this afternoon, so I pulled out a stick of butter and 2 eggs so that they both could come to room temp. I am just not in the mood now that I've got a chicken baking and have already made 3 sides. Can I leave them out until tomorrow morning (when I intend to make the cake) or should I put them back in the fridge?

Yours in salmonella-avoiding gratitude.

The butter will certainly not have a poisoning problem and may get some off flavors. Eggs I err on the side of caution and would put them back in the fridge. If you need to bring them up to RT quickly just stick them in a bowl of hot tap water for 10 minutes.

Another cleaning out the fridge issue:

Last time I made sour cherry preserves, I had way more runny cherry juice than was worth adding to the fruit. Fine, the syrup is useful in lots of things, including this Georgian rice salad w eggplant and sour cherries (scroll down).

Turns out, I over-reduced the juice so that the thick syrup I poured into the jar is now a solid, impenetrable mass encased in glass. I'm glad I had another batch of syrup in the freezer that thawed nicely, but do you think I can liquify the thick block?

I plan to try putting the jar in water and gently simmering it for a little while, then put a lid on it to see if it softens enough to pry out and ummm, perhaps transform into fruit leather, but other suggestions welcome.

Another cleaning out the fridge issue:

Last time I made sour cherry preserves, I had way more runny cherry juice than was worth adding to the fruit. Fine, the syrup is useful in lots of things, including this Georgian rice salad w eggplant and sour cherries (scroll down).

Turns out, I over-reduced the juice so that the thick syrup I poured into the jar is now a solid, impenetrable mass encased in glass. I'm glad I had another batch of syrup in the freezer that thawed nicely, but do you think I can liquify the thick block?

I plan to try putting the jar in water and gently simmering it for a little while, then put a lid on it to see if it softens enough to pry out and ummm, perhaps transform into fruit leather, but other suggestions welcome.

You have cherry jelly. If, as it sounds, you can't even get a spoon into it, try heating the jar in the microwave, at 15 second intervals to see how it is melting. Once you can get it out of the jar, just simmer it in a covered saucepan on low heat with a little bit of water, stirring regularly until the whole thing liquifies. Put it back into the jar, hopefully it will chill into a slightly looser jelly or thick slurry. If it has had sugar added, call it sour cherry molasses. If it does not have added sugar, I'd suggest adding a spoonful of the jelly to pan sauces, braises and stews in the coming months. The jelly will melt into the surrounding liquid environment and add something intriguing to the flavor.

This one isn't really a 911, but I'm hoping someone knows about old selter bottles. I bought a blue one at a garage sale years ago, and the guys who sold it to me told me that they used it by filling it with pre-fizzed seltzer. Granted, they had been hitting the herbal medicine a little hard that morning, but it was about half full of sparkling water that I emptied using the little handle on top. Since then, I and a lot of other people have tried to get the thing open to no avail. Supposedly, the top screws off, but trying to get it off means applying more pressure than seems appropriate for an old spigot that might break. Does anyone have one that they've opened? Am I being too chicken turning the top? I'd like to use it for more than a bar decoration.

This one isn't really a 911, but I'm hoping someone knows about old selter bottles. I bought a blue one at a garage sale years ago, and the guys who sold it to me told me that they used it by filling it with pre-fizzed seltzer. Granted, they had been hitting the herbal medicine a little hard that morning, but it was about half full of sparkling water that I emptied using the little handle on top. Since then, I and a lot of other people have tried to get the thing open to no avail. Supposedly, the top screws off, but trying to get it off means applying more pressure than seems appropriate for an old spigot that might break. Does anyone have one that they've opened? Am I being too chicken turning the top? I'd like to use it for more than a bar decoration.

This is coming from the vague recesses of memory, so must be taken with a substantial amount of skepticism. I recall visiting relatives of mine who lived in Flatbush, when I was still in high school. They were the first and only people I've met who got seltzer regularly delivered to their door, like milk used to be. I seem to recall my great-uncle saying that the bottles were refilled a certain number of times and then were retired, because the glass would eventually become fatigued from the co2 pressure. I'm not sure that it's such a good idea to try to re-use the bottle. For curiosity's sake, you might try dripping or brushing some lubricant, like mineral oil, around the neck of the bottle and down into the thread.

I recall visiting relatives of mine who lived in Flatbush, when I was still in high school. They were the first and only people I've met who got seltzer regularly delivered to their door, like milk used to be.<snip>

A friend of mine in Manhattan used to have seltzer delivered to his condo, just like milk used to be. I remember him once saying that it was delivered by the last guy who offered the service in NYC and, at some point in the time I've known my friend, it stopped because the guy retired (maybe sometime around 2000? don't remember). He always had flavored syrups to mix with the seltzer; it was great. Made me feel like eating at an automat.

I find myself with lots of leftover compound butter and chimichurri from this. What's the best way to save it all?

Compound butter freezes; put it in wax paper and seal it up tightly (good plastic wrap will do in a pinch). It'll last forever. You may want to portion it out first so you can thaw just what you need at a time.

I'm guessing you could freeze chimichurri in cubes like pesto.

Compound butter freezes; put it in wax paper and seal it up tightly (good plastic wrap will do in a pinch). It'll last forever. You may want to portion it out first so you can thaw just what you need at a time.

I'm guessing you could freeze chimichurri in cubes like pesto.

Frozen butter cuts without too much trouble so no need to portion. And yes freezing compound butter is an excellent idea.

This weather - the lack of searing sun & 230% humidity and presence of a cool breeze - has me craving comfort food rather than the summery salmon and corn panzanella dish I was planning on for dinner tonight, but comfort food with a surplus of summer CSA ingredients leaves me a bit befuddled. Any ideas for something easy to whip up?

I have your typical stuff - corn, tomatoes (sungold, roma, heirloom, red round), tons of yellow and patty pan squash, basil, lots of peppers (banana, sweet, regular bell, poblano), potatoes, and the treat - some sweet potato greens. I also have some vegetarian sausage on hand (Field Roast Italian) but no other protein defrosted and I really need some protein with my meal. I could potentially stop at the market to pick up some chicken or beef if needed or I could quick defrost the piece of halibut I have in my freezer.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I planted way too much basil. More than I could ever eat in a summer. What should I do with it? Is there like a dish that's ALL BASIL, ALL THE TIME?

Don't say pesto or I'll paste you.

It apparently has cosmetic and medicinal purposes.

My food suggestions would be to break it up among a lot of different dishes. I'm not sure on the safe storage of basil oil, but that would be one thing. (It also shows up on that medicinal list.) You could also put it in vinegar, which would probably be safer.

I'm betting you could figure out a kind of alcohol that would be good infused with basil, but I'm not sure which would work best.

Use in in tabbouleh-style grain dishes instead of other herbs. Make lots of tomato sauce with it and freeze. Make pasta dishes with it and freeze. You could try drying/dehydrating some of it.

Think of dishes that use herbs with similar profiles to basil, such as mint. Could you make a basil sauce for lamb?

This weather - the lack of searing sun & 230% humidity and presence of a cool breeze - has me craving comfort food rather than the summery salmon and corn panzanella dish I was planning on for dinner tonight, but comfort food with a surplus of summer CSA ingredients leaves me a bit befuddled. Any ideas for something easy to whip up?

I have your typical stuff - corn, tomatoes (sungold, roma, heirloom, red round), tons of yellow and patty pan squash, basil, lots of peppers (banana, sweet, regular bell, poblano), potatoes, and the treat - some sweet potato greens. I also have some vegetarian sausage on hand (Field Roast Italian) but no other protein defrosted and I really need some protein with my meal. I could potentially stop at the market to pick up some chicken or beef if needed or I could quick defrost the piece of halibut I have in my freezer.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Maybe too late to be useful, but...

Cook the vegetarian sausage, put to the side. As that's cooking, cob the raw corn (assuming it's organic & fresh & sweet), dice the peppers into corn kernel-sized pieces, seed the tomatoes and cut them into kernel-sized pieces, and make a quick vinaigrette with your best olive oil, plenty of salt and pepper, and something citrus-y. Mix the vinaigrette in with the corn and other vegetables, adding diced basil to the mixture.

Once the sausage is done, cook the greens in the oils left behind in the sausage pan (season them!). Depending on how many there are, plate the cooked greens on top of the corn & vegetable mixture, with the sausage on top of that. Consider garnishing with full basil leaf and some freshly grated hard cheese if you have any.

As another option, a giant mash-o-summer could be fun. Throw everything you can into a food processor, blend into a thick paste, season effectively, and use it as a stuffing for the peppers (bake 'em or eat them raw, so many possibilities), with the greens cooked in garlic as a side dish.

I also came across this technique for preparing tomato salad recently and have been wanting to try it. It calls for red onion, though. You could use basil if you don't have oregano.

And potatoes would also be good in a greens-sausage-vegetable stew.

I ended up doing 2 different preparations of pasta with roasted veg b/c I couldn't decide which way would be better and figured why not do a side by side. Ended up using hte salting method in your link for one of the dishes (didn't make the salad, but cut and salted the tomatoes ahead of time - I do think it made a difference). Details and a photo in the dinner thread if anyone is interested.

I planted way too much basil. More than I could ever eat in a summer. What should I do with it? Is there like a dish that's ALL BASIL, ALL THE TIME?

Don't say pesto or I'll paste you.

I don't have your answer, but agree with others - I just make a lot of dishes that have basil in them so over the course of the week it gets used up. And I eat a lot of tomatoes, basil and mozzarella these days.

Oh, just had a thought - you could do some good thai dishes that are basil heavy, like Nava Thai's crispy duck and basil.

Here's another one. Making a dish from one of my favorite cookbooks tonight - salmon with sweet corn panzanella from Down Home Downtown. The grilled salmon is served on top of a bed of panzanella (bread, arugula, red onion, cucumber, corn, and heirloom tomatoes) that's been dressed with a pretty basic balsamic vinaigrette, but the photo shows something sitting on top of the salmon that isn't in the recipe. I don't really like salmon, but I tasted this keta salmon at the farmers market and thought it tasted mild enough that I might enjoy it, but I think I want that dollop of whatever on top just in case. :(

It looks like either a compound butter or an aioli of some sort, appears to be more the consistency of mayo and has a yellowish tinge and flecks of green, I'm assuming basil. The aioli doesn't make sense to me, but it doesn't look like butter - creme fraiche maybe? What do you guys think it is, or what would work in this case at least?

Here's another one. Making a dish from one of my favorite cookbooks tonight - salmon with sweet corn panzanella from Down Home Downtown. The grilled salmon is served on top of a bed of panzanella (bread, arugula, red onion, cucumber, corn, and heirloom tomatoes) that's been dressed with a pretty basic balsamic vinaigrette, but the photo shows something sitting on top of the salmon that isn't in the recipe. I don't really like salmon, but I tasted this keta salmon at the farmers market and thought it tasted mild enough that I might enjoy it, but I think I want that dollop of whatever on top just in case. :(

It looks like either a compound butter or an aioli of some sort, appears to be more the consistency of mayo and has a yellowish tinge and flecks of green, I'm assuming basil. The aioli doesn't make sense to me, but it doesn't look like butter - creme fraiche maybe? What do you guys think it is, or what would work in this case at least?

Dill-yogurt (or dill-creme fraiche, or dill-sour cream) was a common accompaniment to salmon when I was growing up, so maybe it's one of those, with basil in for the dill. Any chance you could snap the picture and put it up?

I'll guess it's an herbed mayonnaise. Fresh mayo would be yellowish. A lemon herb mayo, maybe? One of my favorite poached salmon recipes is accompanied by a red pepper mayonnaise, and it's quite good. I'm sure there are recipes online for herbed mayonnaise.

I'll guess it's an herbed mayonnaise. Fresh mayo would be yellowish. A lemon herb mayo, maybe? One of my favorite poached salmon recipes is accompanied by a red pepper mayonnaise, and it's quite good. I'm sure there are recipes online for herbed mayonnaise.

That's really what it looks like to me consistency wise, or I suppose it could also be a mix of mayo and sour cream. :(

That's really what it looks like to me consistency wise, or I suppose it could also be a mix of mayo and sour cream. unsure.gif

If you thinned an herbed crème fraiche or sour cream with lemon juice, you'd get that consistency and the tinge of yellow.

Truth be told, I think any of these things sound tasty. smile.gif

That's really what it looks like to me consistency wise, or I suppose it could also be a mix of mayo and sour cream. :(

The aforementioned red pepper mayonnaise uses 50/50 mayo and sour cream. (I just checked :))

So would you try to clean a pizza stone that was left out by your grill for a couple days and then you found a squirrel feasting on its crumbs?

Toss?

Those things get so hot, only a thermophile could survive. My verdict would be keep it, after a good blazin'.

What do others think?

I dunno. That squirrel would be awfully well-done.

...oh, wait, that's not what you meant, is it?

Well done squirrel is pretty tough to gnaw on. Especially as there isn't much meat to begin with.

I agree that unless you are the squeamish type that you could keep it. I might scrub it real good then blaze it with nothing but maybe some oil or something to help get it seasoned again. But then again until I had a dog it grossed me out to think that my in laws let the dog lick out of the same bowl they eat out of. Now I just don't think about it... lalalalalalalala. So I think it is you comfort level, that health-wise you could get it back to safe very quickly.

So would you try to clean a pizza stone that was left out by your grill for a couple days and then you found a squirrel feasting on its crumbs?

Toss?

I would toss but the family is ultra squeamish, they'd pitch it in a heartbeat, and mutiny if I did not.

RE: pizza stone... i'd heat it as high as it can go for like 2 hours... or if they aren't expensive, start over.

okay now my question for the team. I just cut open a farmer's market watermelon and it's hollow and dry... was it old when I bought it Saturday? I've never seen this....

thanks!

Here you go:

SalmonPanz001.jpg

Of course, I just realized that the creme fraiche/sour cream idea didn't strike me until I posted and I don't actually have any. :( Will have to hope the Greek yogurt in the fridge is still good if I want to go with that.

That looks like bearnaise to me.

Ok we are doing crabs and bbq (don't know what kind specifically) tomorrow and I'm in charge of an appetizer and am completely stumped. Was thinking a taco/7-layer type dip or maybe some guacamole but I don't know how the transition would go, any suggestions? I'm not the greatest cook in the world and only have a couple hours beforehand to throw everything together so keep that in mind if you think of anything.

Ok we are doing crabs and bbq (don't know what kind specifically) tomorrow and I'm in charge of an appetizer and am completely stumped. Was thinking a taco/7-layer type dip or maybe some guacamole but I don't know how the transition would go, any suggestions? I'm not the greatest cook in the world and only have a couple hours beforehand to throw everything together so keep that in mind if you think of anything.

I have a friend who makes a 7-layer type dip (nowhere near 7 layers) with a can of chili (turkey with beans, in this case), a layer of sour cream and a layer of guac, all smothered in pre-shredded cheddar. Bake until the shredded cheese is melted, not a minute longer. Add sliced jalopenos to one of the layers previously described, if you are so inclined. Serve with chips. HUGE crowd pleaser.

I was looking for a recipe to use up eggplant and peppers, of which I have a ton and came across this recipe. The only problem is I'm not a big fan of lamb. Thinking of using the ground rose veal I have in my freezer instead, does that make sense? Would you change or adjust any of the seasonings in the meat if you did that?

I'm thinking that sage would work better than mint when using veal.

Also see somewhat recent post of mine on eggplant w peppers in the Dinner thread. Make a ratatouille without zucchini.

Thanks, your mention of ratatouille reminded me of a dish I made last year of ratatouille topped with goat cheese and a pesto vinaigrette. Decided to just make something along the lines of ratatouille, the veal patties and tehn a basil walnut pesto (didn't have pine nuts). Not my best work, but it's tasty enough. But man, this veal is gamey.

Dear Kitchen 911,

I am truly unimaginative with veggies and now that my mom left, there are some veggies I need some ideas on what to do with:

1 big bunch of sweet potato greens;

2 little bunches of butter bok choy; and

1 little thing of a lettuce-family-based green that would probably not be a good salad green.

Suggestions? I don't want it to go to waste. Is it okay to chop some up and freeze them? Thanks!!

Signed,

Choloro Phyll

Dear Kitchen 911,

I am truly unimaginative with veggies and now that my mom left, there are some veggies I need some ideas on what to do with:

1 little thing of a lettuce-family-based green that would probably not be a good salad green.

Suggestions? I don't want it to go to waste. Is it okay to chop some up and freeze them? Thanks!!

Signed,

Choloro Phyll

Sweet potato leaves lend themselves well to stronger flavors like soy sauce and chilies and saute nicely with shallots and garlic. I like to saute bok choy with butter, shallots and a little chicken or veg stock to finish.

I wouldn't freeze any of the greens. They'll turn black in the freezer and taste pretty nasty when you thaw them. I'd try making a pesto with either of the greens first so the olive oil preserves them in the fridge and you'll have an extra week to use them.

Dear Kitchen 911,

Signed,

Choloro Phyll

If you want to freeze them, blanch them first and they will be OK.

If you want to freeze them, blanch them first and they will be OK.

But why spend all that money on very fresh, unusual greens to render them thusly?

Cook the sweet potato greens tonight--just sauté for not too long with garlic and serve with your favorite protein and starch. See Dinner thread for something I did with them and coconut milk, but really, you want to retain the brightness. When prepping, throw away the tougher, lower stem, but retain the parts of the stem that branch off from that single, lower "stalk" .

Little gem of a lettuce/cabbage: Separate individual leaves to use as cups or wraps in a bento lunch box.

ETA: And, Zora, that sounds good! (See below.)

use your lettuce-family greens (maybe the sweet potato greens, too) to make a mole verde.

oven roast tomatillos, green chile--poblano is my fave--onion and garlic

pan toast some pumpkin seeds

when the veg have roasted and are soft, peel the skin off the poblano and put them all, and accumulated juices into a blender. Add the pumpkin seeds and the lettuce/escarole, some fresh cilantro and a slug of cider vinegar, fresh lime juice and salt. Puree until smooth. Add some chicken stock (or water) if it is very thick. Simmer it on top of the stove for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure it doesn't burn, add stock or water to maintain a sauce-y consistency as it cooks.

great with pork, chicken, fish or shrimp. Also can be used as a sauce for enchiladas, tamales or chiles rellenos.

But why spend all that money on very fresh, unusual greens to render them thusly?

I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes, unfortunately, life gets in the way of dinner plans. Due to unforeseen travel last week, I've got a couple of containers of yellow crookneck squash in the freezer from dinner plans gone awry, and I was relieved to have the freezer as an option. I sometimes forget that I can cook things halfway, then toss them in the freezer for future exhumation. If I do it within a reasonable period of time, I usually can't even tell that they've been frozen.

not an emergency, but need some ideas. I've promised to contribute to a picnic where the featured item is grilled chicken burrito wraps or something, and so far the only side dish is a pasta salad (hey, I didn't plan it). My go-to black bean, corn, and jicama salad comes to mind, but I've brought that before for this group. Recently. So I need something else, and I'm drawing a blank. Book store syndrome.

Criteria: it has to be fairly temperature stable (it will sit out for several hours); it's going to have to be made about 24 hours in advance; there will be no opportunity for last-minute prep beyond taking the lid off the container; nothing too culinarily challenging (this is not a foodie crowd).

Any ideas? thanks.

not an emergency, but need some ideas. I've promised to contribute to a picnic where the featured item is grilled chicken burrito wraps or something, and so far the only side dish is a pasta salad (hey, I didn't plan it). My go-to black bean, corn, and jicama salad comes to mind, but I've brought that before for this group. Recently. So I need something else, and I'm drawing a blank. Book store syndrome.

Criteria: it has to be fairly temperature stable (it will sit out for several hours); it's going to have to be made about 24 hours in advance; there will be no opportunity for last-minute prep beyond taking the lid off the container; nothing too culinarily challenging (this is not a foodie crowd).

Any ideas? thanks.

How about fruit salad of some sort? Sometimes I like to do a mix of melons (e.g., honeydew, cantaloupe, and watermelon). You could throw some grapes in, too, if you wanted.

Any ideas? thanks.

A vinegar based potato salad? The most recent issue of Fine Cooking had quite a few ideas for variations on the same old boring potato salad, including many using vinegar instead of mayo (for your temperature stability issue). Can't seem to find a reproduction of the article itself online, but they have this wacky "create your own" interface: http://www.finecooking.com/articles/cyor/potato-salad.aspx.