Kitchen 911

legant

Picked up a nice ham steak to flavor my first batch of Mississippi cowpeas, but there's enough for one dinner, too.

What should I do with it besides scalloped potatoes, eggs or soup which are the most obvious destinies for this bit of meat. I've got some sweet potatoes to go with and either spinach or green beans.

Picked up a nice ham steak to flavor my first batch of Mississippi cowpeas, but there's enough for one dinner, too.

What should I do with it besides scalloped potatoes, eggs or soup which are the most obvious destinies for this bit of meat. I've got some sweet potatoes to go with and either spinach or green beans.

OK, not very exciting, but I like to brown it up in a pan and glaze it with molasses or really good syrup. Maybe mix with your choice of mustard.

Do you have any corn? I added some extra chopped ham to creamed corn during the summer, and it was a good combination.

Actually, the ham I had leftover was from making a Top Chef recipe. That recipe uses spinach and eggs, though I don't know if you have the other ingredients available. It calls for quail eggs but I used chicken eggs. Search for "green eggs ham" and you want the result on page 145.

Ham fritters or croquettes would be another possibility.

^Monavano, I was actually thinking of making the sweet potatoes you recommended last week (?), so didn't want to go too sweet--I might try red-eye gravy even though that's more of a morning-w-eggs thing, perhaps.

Meanwhile, I hope Dave of Cedarbrook won't object to turning a bit of it into Southern ham relish. Yumm!!!

(Softened golden raisins, ham, both whirred in food processor, little mayo, little cream cheese, curry spices, olive oil, Champagne vinegar and substituting for chow-chow: Spring Valley's pepper jelly, minced yellow bell peppers and a little minced onion.)

According to Cook's Thesaurus I can substitute plain, low-fat yogurt for buttermilk. Although I know I can make my own by adding lemon juice/vinegar to milk, I have yogurt on hand. When used as a marinade prior to frying chicken should I thin the yogurt (to milk-like consistency) before use?

According to Cook's Thesaurus I can substitute plain, low-fat yogurt for buttermilk. Although I know I can make my own by adding lemon juice/vinegar to milk, I have yogurt on hand. When used as a marinade prior to frying chicken should I thin the yogurt (to milk-like consistency) before use?

Depends how thick your yogurt is; you just want want enough of it to drip off when you remove the chicken that you won't get clumpy breading. I'd just thin it a bit with water (or if you want to, some milk) if it's really thick yogurt.

[in case you haven't noticed... I go into a cooking frenzy at the beginning of the month...]

I don't need two loaves of bread and don't have room to freeze them. If I cut the recipe in half, can i safely reduce the amount of yeast?

Conversely, if a recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of yeast, can I safely use a whole packet? [i'm worried about this.]

How many teaspoons are in a packet of yeast? According to the packet: there are 26 x .25 teaspoons = 10.25 teaspoons OR 3.25 tablespoons. For some reason, that doesn't seem right.

[in case you haven't noticed... I go into a cooking frenzy at the beginning of the month...]

I don't need two loaves of bread and don't have room to freeze them. If I cut the recipe in half, can i safely reduce the amount of yeast?

Conversely, if a recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of yeast, can I safely use a whole packet? [i'm worried about this.]

How many teaspoons are in a packet of yeast? According to the packet: there are 26 x .25 teaspoons = 10.25 teaspoons OR 3.25 tablespoons. For some reason, that doesn't seem right.

More yeast = quicker rising = less flavor.

IIRC, 1 packet of yeast is 2.25 t.

Thought we had a Baking 911 topic here. The following could also go under "Vegetable Shortening":

I am planning on making graham crackers from scratch and with rich, dark honey, a jar of barley malt, Red Mill whole wheat graham flour and silicone-coated parchment paper, I am just about set except for one thing: vegetable shortening.

Ann Amernick's recipe calls for 3 T [to 9 T butter] and since I augment butter w lard these days when making pie crust, I just don't keep vegetable shortening on hand anymore. The fancy new stuff from Spectrum costs $7 for a huge container at WFM. I know partially hydrogenated oil tempers the crispness of pure butter in cookies and trust the author on this account. Just wondering, though.

Any opinions from bakers here? I'm leaning towards a dash to Giant to find a small container of Crisco rather than veer from the instructions for a first-time effort. I am guessing a product like Smart Balance margarine would not do what shortening does--or does it have basically the same properties?

I can maybe help a little. Her pie pastry recipe calls for a similar ratio, and the shortening does make it tender. However, that was enough Crisco for me to really taste it and get the greasy mouthfeel that I don't like. I played with the ratio until I got it down to 2 tablespoons of shortening (it was either 4:1 or 5:1 at that point), the crust was still tender, and I couldn't taste the shortening, only butter. So I would say that the shortening is going to affect the texture, however, if you don't like the taste of shortening, or you just don't want to use that much, you may want to change the ratio.

Two questions related to the lentil soup I plan to prepare tonight:

1) I bought a bunch of red russian kale yesterday that I want to chop up and put in the soup. It was too big for the crisper so I laid it in the bottom of the fridge, and now its quite wilted. Still usable?

2) I have a frozen smoked pork hock that I want to use to flavor the soup. Never used one before (recovering vegetarian here). Do I let it thaw, then add it at the beginning with the oil, or when I add the stock? Do I take it out at the end, flake off the meat and then put the meat back in, or should I do that earlier?

1) I bought a bunch of red russian kale yesterday that I want to chop up and put in the soup. It was too big for the crisper so I laid it in the bottom of the fridge, and now its quite wilted. Still usable?

2) I have a frozen smoked pork hock that I want to use to flavor the soup. Never used one before (recovering vegetarian here). Do I let it thaw, then add it at the beginning with the oil, or when I add the stock? Do I take it out at the end, flake off the meat and then put the meat back in, or should I do that earlier?

1) Smell it and if it smells good, use it. 2) Doesn't need to thaw. Put it in with the stock. Take out at the end, flake meat, put back in.

1) It's going to get very wilted anyway, when it cooks, so don't worry about it. Be sure to remove and discard the stems.

2) If you don't thaw the smoked hock before adding it to the soup, it will just make the whole pot take longer to cook. So, if you're not in a hurry, don't worry. Generally, a smoked hock doesn't require browning, so sauté your aromatics first, add the hock, pour in the stock, bring it to a boil then turn it down and prepare to simmer for a long time. The longer the bone is in the pot, the more flavor it will have.

3) Soup is very forgiving. Don't worry so much about timing and technique. Just don't be in too big a hurry, unless you are going to use a pressure cooker.

So, I'm cooking up an oyster stew with some of Buster's beautiful bivalves. I'm planning to serve it as the first course, but obviously it's a bit on the rich side, what with cream/milk, butter, etc. What should I make to go with it?

Why not make it the main, with some good bread, and have it with a salad?

So, I'm cooking up an oyster stew with some of Buster's beautiful bivalves. I'm planning to serve it as the first course, but obviously it's a bit on the rich side, what with cream/milk, butter, etc. What should I make to go with it?

I'm with Pat and Zora, but if you're really wedded to it as a first course, I'd make something wispy and fundamental for the main. Some sauteed fish with just a very simple veg--lightly cooked garlic spinach, or asparagus, or fennel, or mushrooms, or a bit of everything. Maybe a clear, broth-like sauce over it all. Nothing rich, just crisp, light flavors.

The fish is, of course, a pain in the butt to do for a crowd because you'd have to cook it a la minute, but if you've got an indulgent audience, they may not mind a wait between courses after a filling first.

Some time ago one of the websites I frequent put up a link to a chocolate calculator that let you input the type of chocolate you have by percentage cacao, and then tells you how much to use of whatever you happen to have. Fat and sugar got factored in as well. Somehow I lost the bookmark :) and Google is of no help. I get a not-so-great converter at Gourmet Sleuth, and then calculator-shaped chocolates. Did anyone else bookmark this very useful page?

Some time ago one of the websites I frequent put up a link to a chocolate calculator that let you input the type of chocolate you have by percentage cacao, and then tells you how much to use of whatever you happen to have. Fat and sugar got factored in as well. Did anyone else bookmark this very useful page?

I googled and found this Chocolate calculator but am not sure if this is it. If so, then it was on eGullet.

I made dough for rugelach today. I quartered it, wrapped it and put it in the refrigerator*...then got busy and too tired to make them today (planning on apricot jam, walnuts and golden raisins). Is it OK to keep the dough in the refrigerator until Wed. morning? I very well may be able to get to them tommorow, if that's much better. I just have about 50 meatballs to make sometime in the next day and a half too.

TIA.

*I think I'm going to only use 2 balls of dough, and freeze the other 2. Then again, can I make the rugelach rolls and freeze some prior to baking? Do the baked rolls needs to be refrigerated if they'll be eaten within 2-3 days?

Not an actual emergency, but... can freezer jam be re-gelled? I made a delicious black raspberry jam last summer, but didn't strain it well enough, and it's just too damn full of seeds. So I thaw it and strain the seeds out, and what's left makes a nice sauce, but it's too thin to be spread on toast or whatever. Is there any way to turn it into jam again, even if I don't re-freeze it?

Not an actual emergency, but... can freezer jam be re-gelled? I made a delicious black raspberry jam last summer, but didn't strain it well enough, and it's just too damn full of seeds. So I thaw it and strain the seeds out, and what's left makes a nice sauce, but it's too thin to be spread on toast or whatever. Is there any way to turn it into jam again, even if I don't re-freeze it?

Did you make it with pectin? If yes, then you probably didn't use enough. Either way, I would simmer it for a bit to reduce it a little after straining the seeds, then add some pectin and boil it hard for a minute, then pour into sterilized jars.

Did you make it with pectin? If yes, then you probably didn't use enough. Either way, I would simmer it for a bit to reduce it a little after straining the seeds, then add some pectin and boil it hard for a minute, then pour into sterilized jars.

Thanks, z - I'll try that! I didn't describe the problem well. I did use pectin, and it set up just fine, but the process of straining the seeds out turns it runny.

Almost couldn't find the thread, on page 2. We must all be turning into better cooks. :)

Had planned to make a pumpkin risotto tonight (just basic risotto w/white wine, shallots, parm, etc. and some pumpkin puree mixed in) and serve with seared scallops, but realized I have no arborio rice. Went looking through my bulk grains and found some French couscous I've never cooked with. Thinking I could use that and make it in a risotto style (probably just add the stock after everything else is done and cover to simmer, then mix in the puree?), but having never cooked with anything but "regular" couscous I'm not sure if this will work. Any thoughts? The french appears to be much larger than regular, but smaller than Israeli. Mostly concerned about overcooking/how it will hold up.

Also, was thinking I might saute the shallot in bacon fat rather than oil, and also saute the scallops in bacon to give an extra savory note to the dish. Yes?

Planning to pair it with an off-dry Alsatian Pinot Gris that went really well with the squash soup I made for my last dinner club. I haven't cooked (other than frozen pizza) in quite some time so really looking forward to a good meal. :chow

Almost couldn't find the thread, on page 2. We must all be turning into better cooks. :)

Had planned to make a pumpkin risotto tonight (just basic risotto w/white wine, shallots, parm, etc. and some pumpkin puree mixed in) and serve with seared scallops, but realized I have no arborio rice. Went looking through my bulk grains and found some French couscous I've never cooked with. Thinking I could use that and make it in a risotto style (probably just add the stock after everything else is done and cover to simmer, then mix in the puree?), but having never cooked with anything but "regular" couscous I'm not sure if this will work. Any thoughts? The french appears to be much larger than regular, but smaller than Israeli. Mostly concerned about overcooking/how it will hold up.

Also, was thinking I might saute the shallot in bacon fat rather than oil, and also saute the scallops in bacon to give an extra savory note to the dish. Yes?

Planning to pair it with an off-dry Alsatian Pinot Gris that went really well with the squash soup I made for my last dinner club. I haven't cooked (other than frozen pizza) in quite some time so really looking forward to a good meal. :chow

This reply may be a bit late, but in general I think that cous-cous is probably too quick-cooking and not starchy enough to use as a sub for arborio rice to make risotto. Barley could work, but if you don't have any in the house, just make the cous-cous with the sauteed shallots (in bacon fat--why not?) and stock, and serve the pumpkin puree on the side.

Um. I really have a 911 kitchen situation. My wonderful vanilla extract bottle just came crashing down. The bottle didn't break but the top cracked into lots of pieces. If I pour the remaining extract into a tupperware can I keep it? Or is it shot? Thanks in advance for your advice!

:)

Um. I really have a 911 kitchen situation. My wonderful vanilla extract bottle just came crashing down. The bottle didn't break but the top cracked into lots of pieces. If I pour the remaining extract into a tupperware can I keep it? Or is it shot? Thanks in advance for your advice!

:)

I'd pour it through a fine tea strainer to get the glass out. Should otherwise be OK.

This reply may be a bit late, but in general I think that cous-cous is probably too quick-cooking and not starchy enough to use as a sub for arborio rice to make risotto. Barley could work, but if you don't have any in the house, just make the cous-cous with the sauteed shallots (in bacon fat--why not?) and stock, and serve the pumpkin puree on the side.

Okay, I will admit to being a little uneducated about the types of couscous, but my brief googling today leads me to think that regular couscous is very different from say Israeli couscous, which is much starchier and more like a pasta shaped into a little round ball. What I bought was labeled as French, but other than being a little bit smaller seemed to fit the description of Israeli. I really have no idea, but it worked really well as a sub for the arborio in this case.

I ended up following the normal steps through adding the wine and letting that be absorbed, then I did about a cup of stock (I only used about 1 1 /3 c of couscous) and let that simmer with the lid on. When that had been absorbed, I added a second cup and pretty much did the same. By the time that was absorbed, it was pretty much done so I added the puree and some fresh sage, let it simmer uncovered for a few, then mixed in the grated parm and served. Timing was a little quicker, but similar to a risotto. I tasted periodically and the couscous was hard in the center (uncooked) up until that point.

I really don't care for regular couscous - I find the consistency unpleasant and no matter what you do to it, I generally find it really boring. This was a totally different beast. It had substance and bite.

Just under two lbs., venison backstrap is officially thawed.

So, for a quick meal, the gist of recommendations is to slice thin medallions and treat them like veal: brief sauté for 1-2 minutes till rosy, then sauce.

What to do with the other 1 1/2 lbs?

I was thinking I could try something like My Mother's Brisket, but in chunks vs. a solid hunk of meat, and at a very, very low temperature.

Other thoughts?

Where's RJ when you need him?

So, for a quick meal, the gist of recommendations is to slice thin medallions and treat them like veal: brief sauté for 1-2 minutes till rosy, then sauce.

I was thinking I could try something like My Mother's Brisket, but in chunks vs. a solid hunk of meat, and at a very, very low temperature.

Other thoughts?

My understanding is that venison backstrap is the tenderest piece of meat from the animal: think of it as you would a filet of beef. Tougher cuts like shoulder or leg do well with braising, but I don't think you would turn a filet into pot roast. I suggest marinating it with aromatics--include some crushed juniper berries, olive oil and some wine. Then brown it in a skillet in a single piece and roast in a hot oven until medium rare. Strain the marinade and make a pan reduction sauce with it and some veal or beef stock. Invite a friend to share it, and use the leftovers, sliced thin, as you would cold roast beef.

Other thoughts?

We researched cooking venison backstrap this winter. Most venison cookbooks are remarkably lowbrow. Better quality venison recipes from Hunter-Angler-Gardener-Cook blog.

We ended up browning in a pan on the stove and finishing in the oven to an internal temperature of 135. It took only minutes to achieve that temp and continued to rise after removing from oven to rest. This will be rare but that is good. Easy to overcook.

If the backstrap is also the tenderloin, there is this recipe from Robert Irvine. It was one used on the Worst Cooks series that just ended. One of the semifinalists was on the show because she burns everything. Her husband is a hunter, so they had her learn to prepare a venison recipe (which, in her worry about having overcooking venison in the past, she ended up undercooking).

(Don't be offended by the suggestion. I know nothing about cooking venison and remembered this because I saw it so recently. :) )

Thanks, one and all. Zora, I didn't realize it was the tenderest part, so I appreciate advice that nudges me away from treating it like brisket. I just know the meat's super lean and the bite grilled by the gift-giver was terribly tough, so I just wanted to prevent that. Pat, I am about as ignorant as they come in this dept., so I can't be offended and Ilaine, you seem to have stumbled on the sort of thing I was trying to find since the high-brow food sites weren't giving me much help.

Odd question, but how do you pop your popcorn? I don't have an air popper and I popped mine over the weekend in a wok with some oil over it. This technique worked, but made me think whether one can use water instead of oil or how the air popper works to use no oil?

The end result for me is that I want to drizzle butter over it so I have the movie theater popcorn effect, but not twice the oil/fat. Have not done any research yet so I thought I would just ask here first...

Thanks!

Odd question, but how do you pop your popcorn? I don't have an air popper and I popped mine over the weekend in a wok with some oil over it. This technique worked, but made me think whether one can use water instead of oil or how the air popper works to use no oil?

The end result for me is that I want to drizzle butter over it so I have the movie theater popcorn effect, but not twice the oil/fat. Have not done any research yet so I thought I would just ask here first...

Thanks!

I've been popping on the stove (gas) using a non-stick pan and vegetable oil. I try to use as little oil as possible--have not tried water. I find Orville's popcorn to be quite good with almost all kernals popping.

There's no comparison to the microwave crap in a bag.

I've been popping on the stove (gas) using a non-stick pan and vegetable oil. I try to use as little oil as possible--have not tried water. I find Orville's popcorn to be quite good with almost all kernals popping.

This is probably where my membership gets revoked... But do you put a lid on the pan? I miss popcorn...

Making your own popcorn in the microwave is really easy to do... it's healthy too!

Oh and BLB you must put a lid on the pan when popping popcorn or else... (not sure, just or else!)

I use my spaghetti pot and a splatter screen over top for popping. And a little bit of peanut oil. Water wouldn't work because it will create tough& soggy popped kernals. The air popper works because it shoots the already popped kernals out of the popper and thus they don't have contact with the heat source anymore once they have popped, so that way they don't scorch or burn or set the whole unit afire.

For the buttering, when I give in to the temptation, I melt the butter in the mike, then use my silicone baster brush to brush some butter onto the top layer of the popped corn, salt, then toss well, and repeat a few times until there is a detectable but very thin sheen of butter over all of it.

I just air-pop in a regular saucepan with a lid. I do small batches and I shake it around a lot after it has started popping so that the early poppers do not burn on the bottom of the pan.

If you do not put a lid or cover on the pan, they will pop right out and go whizzing all over your kitchen!

If you do not put a lid or cover on the pan, they will pop right out and go whizzing all over your kitchen!

Having done this before, by accident, I can assure you that you will never do it again. The floor and all other surfaces will be covered with popcorn. When you try to put the lid on you will be strafed by hot popcorn shrapnel, as you shuffle towards the pot trying not to get burned by hot popcorn kernels on the floor. Although it is funny, it is not fun. :)