Fishnet, Owner Ferhat Yalcin's Excellent Grilled and Fried Fish on Berwyn Road in College Park

1 year ago, I opened Fishnet on 11-11-11 and 1 year later we are growing and moving forward. I sincerely appreciate all the support from this great community, friends and customers. To celebrate, starting Tuesday until Friday 16th, we are giving away a Free side with the purchase of a fish sandwich, taco or burger. Come, enjoy and make sure to say hi!

Had lunch again at Fishnet this past week. Salmon and bluefish were still on the menu, but the hake and other fish I am forgetting were replaced with mackeral and catfish, which was good because it forced me to get something other than the hake with the spicy aioli. :P I had the fried catfish sandwich with the turkish tartar and slaw. The sandwich was delicious - I think I would have actually even enjoyed the fish grilled - as always. My only (minor) complaint is on the last 2 visits I've found the slaw a bit too coursely chopped. Other than that, delicious.

And the staff is always friendly and attentive, but I felt the guy working at the register was especially helpful on this visit. I wish that I had caught his name, but hopefully Ferhat will know who I mean (lunch on Friday I believe).

Happy anniversary Ferhat! I am so thankful to have this restaurant within driving distance of my office. I only wish I could visit more often, but finances limit that.

December 24th, Monday, we will serve `Turkey dinner with root vegetable mash, green beans, homemade gravy and cranberry sauce` only for $13, all day. Fish may be limited as we are getting ready to close. Closing dates will be December 25-January 2 (2013), opening on January 3rd. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you!!

A long time planned garden finally finished this evening. In organic soil, we are growing heirloom tomato, cucumber, ancho pepper, baby greens, chocolate mint and red onion, so far. Tomatoes should be ready in couple months. The garden is not big enough to supply the entire menu so we will run specials as the produce becomes ripe enough.

On another note, I am not quite sure if they read this site but they should, I`d like to thank to College Park`s two great counsel men, Bob Catlin and Monroe Dennis, for not only supporting but literally doing everything they can, to pass the bill in MD which was signed by the Governor couple weeks ago, that will allow Fishnet to sell beer & wine, most likely late this year.

now, how do I insert the garden picture here, Don?

I swung into Fishnet Saturday for a late lunch. Glad that I did.

Went with the Spanish mackerel sandwich. Lovely piece of fish, perfectly grilled, moist, meaty, flavorful. The hand cut fries are also really good.

If you haven't been, you should. Only a 5 minute drive off the beltway down Rt. 1.

And say hello to Ferhat! It was good to see him.

Well, I had to look up where "Progression Place" was to realize to my delight that it's within walking distance of home. As someone who's read all the great things about Fishnet on this threat but has never been able to make it out to College Park to try it, I am super excited. Congrats on the expansion!!

• Like 1

Had lunch in College Park today and dragged a colleague who lives and works in the area. Two thumbs up for the fish and the falafel. I didn't try the chocolate mousse but I was tempted. The sour cream seemed a little thicker than I remembered but otherwise everything was great.

He is very excited at the prospect of the coffee place opening up next door. I think he'll be back!

• Like 1

Well, I had to look up where "Progression Place" was to realize to my delight that it's within walking distance of home. As someone who's read all the great things about Fishnet on this threat but has never been able to make it out to College Park to try it, I am super excited. Congrats on the expansion!!

Ditto. Just found out it will be in new development at 7th & S Sts., NW (near the Shaw-Howard U Metro). Was only able to get to College Park to try it once--and, it turned out they are closed on Mondays. :( Am so looking forward to trying the new place!

Motivated by this thread popping up this week, went for lunch today after a couple of months since the last visit. While I'm convinced that Ferhat's hake supplier has me tracked and avoids delivering when I go there (my favorite sandwich of his probably but think I haven't scored it yet in 2013), it was great to reacquaint with the now growing empire.

First time trying the soft shell crab--really good. Large (maybe jumbo?) fresh crab on brioche buns with, what kind of brown sauce was that? Whatever it was, it was excellent. Fries as hot, crispy and freshly made as ever. And, an interesting asparagus soup made without cream I really enjoyed.

Saw the garden close up and the interior has filled out nicely. Good testament to what can be done without a professional designer. it's a warm venue totally reflective of its owner and the land which inspires the menu.

Only real downside today? No Ferhat on the premises. Boo.

Hello,

Some great things happening here and I wanted to share my excitement with all of you:

- It looks like we will have a beer&wine license by the end of December, in College Park. City of College Park and Berwyn Civic Association are both supporting this matter for a long time (I do appreciate to those people) and the final hearing is at the end of November. Multiple meetings showed that County attorney and the liquor board are in favor of us. (we were not eligible to get this license when we opened because of the county law. a distance to a school reduced from 1000ft to 400ft and we now qualify)

- We will test the delivery system for a short while starting next week. Tuesday-Saturday 5pm to 9.30pm we will deliver in a 2.5 mile radius with no delivery fee. We only require a minimum amount of $12. I hope it goes well.

- DC location should be ready late December. That is when I look at things optimistic. Construction is moving like a snail because of blah blah blah and blah.

- Planned coffee shop next door to Fishnet passed the first step of the program provided by the City of College Park. There are two more steps we need to qualify and we should begin the construction. Again, optimistic side of me says in January 2014 but who knows what kinds of blahs I will encounter.

@darkstar, you will see me less and less here in CP but more and more in DC.

• Like 4

Hello,

Some great things happening here and I wanted to share my excitement with all of you:

- (1) DC location should be ready late December. That is when I look at things optimistic. Construction is moving like a snail because of blah blah blah and blah.

- (2) Planned coffee shop next door to Fishnet passed the first step of the program provided by the City of College Park. There are two more steps we need to qualify and we should begin the construction. Again, optimistic side of me says in January 2014 but who knows what kinds of blahs I will encounter.

@darkstar, you will see me less and less here in CP but more and more in DC.

Numbers and bold facing my additions to what I've excerpted from Ferhat's post above.

Re (1):  Very cool!  And see you in Spring then.   :D  (I'm kidding, Ferhat! Know well all the "blahs" as you call them and just wish you a bit less consternation and obstruction that most experience here).

Re (2):  Whoo-hoo!  Good people sell coffee. And good people go to coffee shops. The world needs more goodness. So, the world needs more independent coffee shops!  Any questions?  :D

Re the "@darkstar" line.  Deal!  Here's the thing, Ferhat.  Once that DC shop opens, I'll likely almost never trek up to College Park again.  You, your staff and the great fish were the draws that had me doing that.  We already knew you're a very good man but locating in town ups that a few more notches in my book.

Best of luck, Ferhat.  Great progress and really exciting what you have coming down the pike (no pun intended).

P.S., What kind of coffee will you be selling in the coffee shop? Can I put in a plug for multiple roasters? The students will go for that big time. Me too.  ;)

@darkstar,

Main supplier will be Ceremony. I really like their operation, they are local, attention to the detail is very high and they care, plus I like their coffee very much. I am also interested in to try other small roasters. We have a frequent customer here at Fishnet and he`s been roasting his own coffee for a long time. I tried the coffee and find it unique. I am also curious about your ideas.

We will do pour overs and possibly french press for single origins and for people who are not interested in tap coffee. There will be Turkish tea and coffee, as well.

Get the burger here. Seriously, get the burger here. Back in early December, after a trip to the College Park IKEA, I stopped into Fishnet. I was not in the mood for fish and saw the burger on the menu. This was definitely the best burger that I have had in a long, long time. It was cooked to a perfect medium rare, juicy, and tasted like a well-aged steak.

I returned to Fishnet last week and repeated my burger order. Again, this burger was cooked spot-on and just as flavorful as last time. They had a Restaurant Week special of burger, side, and dessert for $12. While they were out of french fries when I got there (!), the simple salad of arugula, radish, and coriander vinaigrette was a perfect complement to the burger. Dessert was a wonderful chocolate mousse.

Ferhat showed up at the restaurant as I was finishing up my lunch and we chatted briefly. The bottled sodas in the cold case have been replaced by bottled beer and he has a new self-service soda fountain serving Maine Root sodas.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Since we have beer now, it would be good to let you know what the list looks like. Beers on tap and wine will be available in few weeks. Also, our Shaw location should be open towards the end of this month. That is if I can get all the permits on time. Have a good weekend.

Blue Mountain Barrel House | Steel Wheels ESB | Virginia | 6.5% ABV | $5.5

Mad River  | Steelhead Pale Ale | California | 5.6% ABV | $5.5

Anderson Valley | Winter Solstice | Ale | California | 6.9% ABV | $5.5

Anderson Valley | Hop Ottin` | IPA | California | 7.0% ABV | $5

Weihenstephaner |Hefe Weissbier (WHEAT BEER) |Germany |5.4 % ABV  | $6

Weihenstephaner | Pilsner | Germany | 5.1% ABV | $6

Southern Tier | Double Milk Stout | New York | 7.5% ABV | $6

Sea Dog | Blueberry Wheat Ale | Maine | 4.7% ABV | $5

Lagunitas | Czech Style Pilsner | California | 6% ABV | $5.5

Lagunitas | A little sumpin` sumpin` Ale | California | 7.5% ABV | $6

Union Craft Brewing | Duckpin Pale Ale | Maryland | 5.5% ABV | $5.5

Stillwater Artisanal | American Farmhouse Ale | Maryland | 6.8% ABV | $6

Crispin | Original Apple Cider | Minnesota | 5% ABV | $5

HAPPY HOUR

WEEKDAYS | 3-7PM | $3 BEER | $3 FISH CIGAR

• Like 4

Hi All,

Since we have beer now, it would be good to let you know what the list looks like. Beers on tap and wine will be available in few weeks. Also, our Shaw location should be open towards the end of this month. That is if I can get all the permits on time. Have a good weekend.

Thanks for posting this outstanding beer list, Ferhat. Cheers!

How about starting a reward program (not just for dr.com members, but for all of your customers), rewarding people when they've gone through your entire beer list? Maybe a little souvenir brochure with beeradvocate.com descriptions (make sure it's okay with them to reproduce first), and a sandwich or beer of their choice? Basically, buy 13 get 1 free, and if they're savvy enough to buy them at happy hour prices, good for them. I'd definitely participate if I lived in the neighborhood.

I like the "descriptive brochure" idea because it helps people to remember and learn about what they've had. You could even organize the program listing the beers from lightest to heaviest, accompanied by suggested food pairings.

---

I hope restaurateurs see that people like Drew and Ferhat who post here are rewarded for doing so with a little free PR. I see it as a win-win-win for restaurants-community-customers. I plan on doing more of this in the future - if I tweet about your posts during prime-time, it will bring you 100 extra views on top of what you'd normally get (which is why I probably shouldn't have done this at 10:30 on a Friday night, but my intentions were good :)).

BTW, did you know that advertisers on this website are guaranteed 300,000 impressions per month? (Don't tell anyone, but we tend to give people extra so they're happy customers!) I made a well-thought-out decision over twenty years ago not to give a damn about money (beyond the obvious need to live), so I just don't care if we give things away as long as it makes people happy. Just ask Rich (write him about our advertising program at RWBooneJr@donrockwell.com) - he still hasn't figured out what makes this time bomb tick. And as long as you're thinking about it, be sure and bookmark his ever-growing and soon-to-be omnipresent DCDiningGuide.com. People probably don't believe me that I haven't made one penny from pumping DCDiningGuide.com, but I haven't.

One day, I'm either going to be really rich, or really poor.

(Sorry for Bogarting your thread, Ferhat, with this bit of self-promotion!)

Hello Everybody,

Here is an updated beer&wine list. Shaw location is coming soon(seriously, it is happening, no April fools here :D)

All our beer, tap and bottle, are $3 during happy hour and wine is $4. Happy hour is 3-7pm weekdays. Soon we are opening on Monday with the same hours.

(btw, we won't have electric hand dryers. as I said in the past, there will be a butler service who will wipe your butt clean)

CRAFT BEER MENU

BOTTLES

Brooklyn Brewery | Lager | New York | 5.2% ABV | $6

Mad River  | Steelhead Pale Ale | California | 5.6% ABV | $5.5

Breckenridge |Oatmeal Stout |Colorado |4.9 % ABV  | $5.5

Weihenstephaner | Pilsner | Germany | 5.1% ABV | $6

Weihenstephaner |Hefe Weissbier (WHEAT BEER)|Germany |5.4 % ABV  | $6

Uinta | Hop Nosh IPA | Utah | 7.3% ABV | $5

Sea Dog | Blueberry Wheat Ale | Maine | 4.7% ABV | $5

Lagunitas | Maximus Ale | California | 8.2% ABV | $5.5

Lagunitas | A little sumpin` sumpin` Ale | California | 7.5% ABV | $6

Stone | IPA | California | 6.9% ABV | $5.5

Evolution | Lucky 7 | Porter | Maryland | 5.8% ABV | $5.5

Dogfish Head | Indian Brown Ale |Delaware | 7.2% ABV | $5.5

Dogfish Head | 60 Minute | IPA | Delaware | 6.0%ABV | $5.5

Crispin | Original Apple Cider | Minnesota | 5% ABV | $5

ON TAP all $5.5

DC Brau | The Public | Pale |Washington DC | 6.0% ABV

Schlafly | Dry Hopped | APA |Missouri | 5.9% ABV

Ommegang | Rare VOS |Amber Ale | New York | 6.50% ABV

Evolution | Exile | Red Ale |Maryland | 5.9% ABV

Brooklyn | Sorachi Ace | Saison |New York | 7.60% ABV

Stone | Levitation | Ale | California | 4.40% ABV

WINE

WHITE

LA FIERA, VENETO, PINOT GRIGIO, ITALY, 2012  $24 / $6.5

BELLAFINA, ROSE, MOSCATO, ITALY, NV   $29

EXCELSIOR, CHARDONNAY, SOUTH AFRICA, 2013  $26

CHATEAU MORRISETTE, OUR DOG BLUE, RIESLING/TRAMINETTE, VIRGINIA, NV   $33

RED

ENTRADA, MALBEC, CHILE, 2013   $24

EVODIA, GARNACHE, ALTOVINUM, SPAIN, 2012  $29

CHATEAU MORRISETTE, BLACKBERRY WINE, VIRGINIA, NV $34

SANTA LUZ, ALBA, CABERNET SAUVIGNON, CHILE, 2012   $24 / $ 6.5

• Like 1

We literally stumbled in last night on our way home (cancelled an already arrived uber when we saw Ferhat and the open sign), and we were glad we did. What a great addition to the neighborhood!

No surprise, but it was great to see so many familiar faces, and the food was perfect. Jeff and I shared a bluefish sandwich with a cucumber sauce that created a perfectly balanced meal unlike any available elsewhere in the city. Paired beautifully with on tap duck rabbit. Violet had a well executed grilled cheese with tomatoes. I can't wait to return, maybe a bit earlier in our day next time.

• Like 1

We literally stumbled in last night on our way home (cancelled an already arrived uber when we saw Ferhat and the open sign), and we were glad we did. What a great addition to the neighborhood!

No surprise, but it was great to see so many familiar faces, and the food was perfect. Jeff and I shared a bluefish sandwich with a cucumber sauce that created a perfectly balanced meal unlike any available elsewhere in the city. Paired beautifully with on tap duck rabbit. Violet had a well executed grilled cheese with tomatoes. I can't wait to return, maybe a bit earlier in our day next time.

The yellowtail was terrific, and at half price was an amazing deal.  Between Ferhat and Julien, is there any doubt about which is the best block for seafood in the city?  Nothing else even close, unless Sushi Taro were to move in next to Seki or something . . . .

Congratulations, Ferhat!  What hours will Fishnet DC be open on Monday and the rest of the week?

Great question--I'd like to know about parking as well, in case wei are able to swing by on our way home from work. Also I'm assuming the grand opening is Monday (the 5th) not Tuesday the 6th, correct?

Thank you Daniel and Dave.

This week I plan to open the doors at 6pm until around 1030pm. Sunday(mother`s day) we are not open. Starting May 12th, Monday, we will be open for lunch/dinner and the hours should be 1130am-1030pm.

@squidsdc. correct. Monday the 5th is grand opening. 7th, S and T streets have parking meters however your best bet is green line Shaw/Howard University stop.  We are literally on top of the metro.

A slow pre-Memorial Day Thursday at the office led to a decadent and delicious lunch at FishNet (Shaw location).  It was an easy three stop Metro ride from Metro Center to Shaw/Howard University (make sure you take the Howard Univ exit and then keep walking straight).

The restaurant design is much more focused with a mix of industrial and organic elements hinting at nautical without being Nautical (if you know what I mean).  The short menu is the same as the original - today the offerings included Scottish Salmon, Wild Catfish, Hake, Bluefish with Soft Shell Crabs on special.  Fish tacos, fish sticks, falafel, burgers, and grilled cheese are also available.  Order at the counter and a server brings you your food.

I went with the bluefish, spicy aioli, and fries.  The fish and bun had nice grill marks and the fish was perfectly cooked and juicy.  Very good fries which I doused in malt vinegar.  Heck, even the fountain soda was good, nice spicy ginger ale.  Sandwich, side, and soda for $16.50.

Good to see Ferhat bustling around the kitchen...Congrats on the new store!      

• Like 1

We went for an early dinner last week.  As Tweaked has noted, the food offerings are very similar to the original in College Park and we were very pleased to see that the quality of the ingredients and cooking was also as good as we've come to know it.  The ambiance is quite different, as you might imagine.  The CP location is kind of a do-it-yourself design.  This one is a lot sleeker.  Both are in keeping with their location.  We both had the mahi mahi grilled: I had the sandwich, he had the platter which consists of the fish fillet served over a large amount of very fresh greens.  We also had their very good fries which we were happy to see are just as good as the originals.  They have quite a number of beers on tap.  I had a Champion Killer Kolsch from Charlottesville that I liked a lot.

We had a nice chat with Ferhat and were interested to learn that the developers of the building actually approached him to open there. They are apparently committed to independent businesses as the 3 Derek Brown bars/restaurants are located there as well as the independent coffee shop, Uprising Muffin Company, next door.  We asked Ferhat if he intended to have delivery service like he does in College Park.  He said no, but he did add that they've had a lot of requests for delivery from people who live upstairs in the building! :blink:

Route 1 in South Alexandria is the next stop for you, sir.

You will get an enormous amount of business there. Enormous.

As a public service, hand out cards detailing the fish, why they're special, why they're endangered (if they are), or why they're not (if they aren't), and get it into peoples' heads. It will stick, I assure you. I'm certain people want to actually know, as opposed to just reading about it in the newspapers, so they can make up their own minds.

That will be five dollars.

• Like 1

Don, I hope you will take a beer and call it even, instead of $5  :)

I also like to put up what we offer as beer&wine here in Shaw:  (sorry I could not do a better job with copy pasting, if any moderator can, feel free to adjust)

Brunch will start here in Shaw on Sunday at 11am with fresh squeezed OJ mimosas, lobster omelets, salmon benedict, brioche french toast..

Wine by the glass

WHITE/ROSE

EL LIBRE | TORRONTES | ARGENTINA| 2012 | $7

CAMPOS de CELTAS | ALBARINO | SPAIN| 2012 | $9

CONO SUR | ORGANIC SAUVIGNON BLANC| CHILE| 2012 | $8

CRIOS | ROSE OF MALBEC | ARGENTINA | 2013 | $8

RED

BLOCK NINE |CAIDEN`S VINEYARD| PINOT NOIR| 2012 | CALIFORNIA| $10

CAMPOS de LUZ | GARNACHE | OLD VINE | 2012| ARGENTINA | $7

EVODIA | GARNACHE| 2012 | SPAIN| $9

FLACO | TEMPRANILLO| 2013 | SPAIN | $7

BEER MENU

ON TAP

WEIHENSTEPHANER | HEFE-WEISSBIER | 5.4% ABV | GERMANY | $7

STONE | IPA | 6.90% ABV | CALIFORNIA | $6.5

BELL`S | AMBER ALE | 5.80% ABV | MICHIGAN | $7

AVERY | WHITE RASCAL  | BELGIAN STYLE ALE | 5.60% ABV | COLORADO| $6.5

DUCK RABBIT | MILK STOUT | 5.70% ABV | NORTH CAROLINA | $6

ANDERSON VALLEY | SUMMER SOLSTICE | CREAM ALE | 5.00% ABV | CALIFORNIA | $7

LAGUNITAS | A LIL` SUMPIN` SUMPIN` | WHEAT ALE | 7.50% ABV | CALIFORNIA | $7

CHAMPION | KILLER KOLSCH | 5.00% ABV | VIRGINIA | $6

BOTTLES

STILLWATER ARTISANAL |AS FOLLOWS | BELGIAN STYLE GOLDEN ALE | 9.0% ABV | MD | $7

EVILTWIN | FALCO |IPA |7.0% ABV |CT | $7

FLYING FISH | RED FISH |RED ALE |7.0% ABV | NJ | $6

CRISPIN | APPLE CIDER | 5.0% ABV | CA | $6

If/when Ferhat has soft shell crabs on the menu - don't miss them! The one I had on my sandwich last week was incredibly meaty and perfectly fried. We also enjoyed grilled bluefish as a 'platter'.

It's great to have Fishnet's Shaw location as a more accessible option (from Virginia), since I never make it over to the College Park area. Looking forward to trying the tacos and some other items on future visits.  The burger at the next table looked great. The interesting wine and beer selection is a definite plus!

Just a quick report to say we went the other day for an early dinner and loved the new space.  (Except the lack of high-chairs or booster seats...1 or 2 of either would be awesome.)

My toddler loved the fish nuggets...ok, who am I kidding.  He did, but my wife and I REALLY loved them.  We also had fried catfish and grilled bluefish sandwiches that hit the spot.  The fish was expertly prepared and portioned nicely for the sandwich.  We made the "mistake" of ordering 2 sides of fries, and took the 2nd one to go.  My Evil Twin IPA was fantastic.

There was a youngish couple there on a date, and the dude apparently felt like flexing his muscles a bit.  He pitched a bit of a fit when his fish and chips came out, complaining that the portion was too small.  Crazy, since the food was cascading over the sides of the plate.  Hats off to whichever staff member dealt with him, because from the looks of it they stood firm, and he ended up pouting and sitting without any food while his date enjoyed her grilled fish platter.

Ah, young love.

Don, I hope you will take a beer and call it even, instead of $5  :)

I also like to put up what we offer as beer&wine here in Shaw:  (sorry I could not do a better job with copy pasting, if any moderator can, feel free to adjust)

Brunch will start here in Shaw on Sunday at 11am with fresh squeezed OJ mimosas, lobster omelets, salmon benedict, brioche french toast..

Wine by the glass

WHITE/ROSE

EL LIBRE | TORRONTES | ARGENTINA| 2012 | $7

CAMPOS de CELTAS | ALBARINO | SPAIN| 2012 | $9

CONO SUR | ORGANIC SAUVIGNON BLANC| CHILE| 2012 | $8

CRIOS | ROSE OF MALBEC | ARGENTINA | 2013 | $8

RED

BLOCK NINE |CAIDEN`S VINEYARD| PINOT NOIR| 2012 | CALIFORNIA| $10

CAMPOS de LUZ | GARNACHE | OLD VINE | 2012| ARGENTINA | $7

EVODIA | GARNACHE| 2012 | SPAIN| $9

FLACO | TEMPRANILLO| 2013 | SPAIN | $7

BEER MENU

ON TAP

WEIHENSTEPHANER | HEFE-WEISSBIER | 5.4% ABV | GERMANY | $7

STONE | IPA | 6.90% ABV | CALIFORNIA | $6.5

BELL`S | AMBER ALE | 5.80% ABV | MICHIGAN | $7

AVERY | WHITE RASCAL  | BELGIAN STYLE ALE | 5.60% ABV | COLORADO| $6.5

DUCK RABBIT | MILK STOUT | 5.70% ABV | NORTH CAROLINA | $6

ANDERSON VALLEY | SUMMER SOLSTICE | CREAM ALE | 5.00% ABV | CALIFORNIA | $7

LAGUNITAS | A LIL` SUMPIN` SUMPIN` | WHEAT ALE | 7.50% ABV | CALIFORNIA | $7

CHAMPION | KILLER KOLSCH | 5.00% ABV | VIRGINIA | $6

BOTTLES

STILLWATER ARTISANAL |AS FOLLOWS | BELGIAN STYLE GOLDEN ALE | 9.0% ABV | MD | $7

EVILTWIN | FALCO |IPA |7.0% ABV |CT | $7

FLYING FISH | RED FISH |RED ALE |7.0% ABV | NJ | $6

CRISPIN | APPLE CIDER | 5.0% ABV | CA | $6

Champion beer from Charlottesville, represent!

• Like 1

Ferhat is putting out some serious food here. The announcement that he had PEI mussels sent me out on the first day without a heat wave. However, I saw that he also had soft-shell crabs on offer so had to go with that. He obviously learned a thing or three from Tom Power about how to prepare softies. I went with the platter instead of a sandwich and got a presentation very similar to what is served at Corduroy. Ferhat serves his with a red pepper coulis, instead of the verjus at Corduroy, which was delicious. He also slipped me a bowl of the mussels, too, so I could try those. Plum, juicy and prepared in an excellent curry/coconut milk sauce.

Since discovering how ridiculously easy it is for me to get there by bus (or subway) and walking right by Mockingbird Hill and Southern Efficiency on the way to Fishnet, I could sure see doing a tour some evening of all those spots. I'll let Metro do the driving.

• Like 5