53 replies to this topic

#51 wisehands

wisehands

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

Made the Lentils with Broiled Eggplant last night, pretty much following the recipe in the book, although I didn't use quite as much cilantro. Don't love it quite as much as Ottolenghi apparently does. It was delicious! One tweak I'll do the next time is cook the carrots a bit more so they're a little softer.

#52 Rieux

Rieux

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Made the black pepper tofu. All the ingredients were easy to find at the Adams Morgan Harris Teeter, except the ketcap manis which I got at the eden center. The dish was great, but I made two modifications. First, there is zero reason to use 11 tbs of butter! I used about five tbs, and it was more than enough. Second I used half the black pepper called for. It was still plenty spicy bd delicious, with some forbidden rice on the side. If you like ma po tofu or major umami bombs, try this!

#53 LauraB

LauraB

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

First, there is zero reason to use 11 tbs of butter! I used about five tbs, and it was more than enough.

I find this to be true of many of the recipes in this book. The amount of butter/other fats called for is ridiculously high. One can easily halve the amount and still really enjoy the dish -- maybe more so, since it's not dripping with oil.

#54 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I made the Sweet Potato Cakes from Plenty last night and thought they were great.  It was kind of on a whim, and I didn't have much in the way of sweet potatoes, so I halved the recipe. (It calls for 2 1/4 pounds, and I had a pound less than that.)  By the time I was getting the meal on the table, I was tired and punted on making the dipping sauce for them.  I used a little of the ranch I had out for salad instead.  I think the yogurt/sour cream dipping sauce would be great with them, though.  Next time.

Instead of using all-purpose flour to bind them, I used the last bit of some chickpea flour I had mixed with dukkah a while back as a coating for something.  That gave them an extra element/dimension that worked well, so I have to remember to do that again.  I also omitted the sugar the recipes calls for, as it didn't seem necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users