Need Some Labor Day Recommendations

I have a special request that I hope our Baltimore locals might assist with.

Among my other idle pursuits, I'm assisting with the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix this Labor Day weekend as the chief course marshal - the guy responsible for the officials in white who stand trackside. This means I also have to play host to roughly 80 out-of-towners who could probably use some tips on where to eat and what to avoid. I'd like to provide each of them with a little information about some decent area food options...it'll look good next to Goodspeed's lexicon of Baltimorese.

Please post up a few brief list of reccs for dining options for middle-of-the-road basics (burgers, pizza, the generic American restaurant), but especially for regional specialties (pit beef, blue crabs), and other genres like sushi. Should be convenient to public transit...and I'd say that taking the water taxi to Fell's Point counts too. We're starting and ending each day at the Convention Center, along with a bazillion tourists. On a related note, a bunch of us will be holed up at a cheap hotel in Linthicum, so ideas in that general direction are good too.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't eaten at some of these places but just tossing out some options

In the city:

Abbey Burger Bistro in Federal Hill (walkable) has some pretty good burgers

1000yrreg also loves Bluegrass Tavern in Federal Hill

Obrycki's for crab cakes (closing in November I think, maybe cab?)

Lots of stuff in Little Italy, everyone has their own preferences for the meal itself but everyone prefers Vaccaro's for dessert

Oh, and Phillips and Hooters :mellow:

In Linthicum, G&M is known for their crab cakes too but I've never been there and its an issue all the locals are very opinionated about. I'm sure people who didn't grow up around crab cakes would love them.

Edit: Oh and Lexington Market is a manageable walk from where the starting line will be, Monday-Saturday 8:30 A to 6 P

I have a special request that I hope our Baltimore locals might assist with.

Among my other idle pursuits, I'm assisting with the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix this Labor Day weekend as the chief course marshal - the guy responsible for the officials in white who stand trackside. This means I also have to play host to roughly 80 out-of-towners who could probably use some tips on where to eat and what to avoid. I'd like to provide each of them with a little information about some decent area food options...it'll look good next to Goodspeed's lexicon of Baltimorese.

Please post up a few brief list of reccs for dining options for middle-of-the-road basics (burgers, pizza, the generic American restaurant), but especially for regional specialties (pit beef, blue crabs), and other genres like sushi. Should be convenient to public transit...and I'd say that taking the water taxi to Fell's Point counts too. We're starting and ending each day at the Convention Center, along with a bazillion tourists. On a related note, a bunch of us will be holed up at a cheap hotel in Linthicum, so ideas in that general direction are good too.

Thanks in advance!

I will be there too, with the BMW owners club! Let me know where you end up. maybe I can say hi from through the masses.

Taxi's in Baltimore are fairly cheap. If they wanted to get out of the din, I would consider taxing up to Woodberry Kitchen, although it will probably be filled with yuppie spectators like me. As wholes in the wall go I love Nacho Mama's. For breakfast in Fell's Point Jimmy's is an institution, greasy spoon. I forget what the great pizza place is named there for late nights. I like Pazo in Fell's Point, others don't but I do. I also like a lot of the American/Italian served in Little Italy- Sabatino's, etc. If there are any vegan's One World up by John's Hopkins is good. G&M is in linthicum, they have huge crabcakes, although it is said that they don't use our Blue Crabs, but if you want a quick bite near the hotel and people want crabcakes, I also don't think they are bad crabcakes, just not MD crabcakes. There is a Capitol Grille and Fogo de Chao near the inner harbor if people want close by and can make a res places. I will be going to Bluegrass Tavern. Sorry can't help you out more, will pass this onto a friend and see if I can get more insight.

Had wonderful dinner during Balt GP at Cinghiale. We ordered a mix of a la cart and the Prezzo Fisso menu. The olive oil the serve, we were told, is from a small producer in Umbria. So fresh tasting--and the dark wheat bread is amzingly light... I personally enjoyed the pepper soup, lobster and chili spaghetti, and a delicious branzino dish. I also tasted the shirt steak, which was spectacular, and the russet potato gnocchi with arrugala pesto, Aldo excellent. Our server provided good recommendations on wine and organized our order at the lowest price for the table, using the Prizzo Fisso options. Gelati sampled were good, with coffee bean and cinimon standing out. The only disappointment was wine service with our second course: out sever failed to check back to take a second wine order, and a previously ordered glass of wine had to be requested after our third course arrived. Also, the more casual area is rather loud when it gets half full. I hate that this makes me sound "old" but restaurants are simply too loud these days. Overall the staff was very accommodating and responsive. I hope to return soon.