Chazz, A Bronx Original, Harbor East

I was at Max's a few weeks ago for their rare beer fest, and on the walk back home, my friends and I decided to drop into the recently opened Chazz, A Bronx Original for a late bite.

It's namesake, actor Chazz Palminteri was there, and apparently has been present most every weekend since the opening a couple months ago. You also get to watch A Bronx Tale on the big screens while eating there.

When we were there, we were told by the waitress that not everything was on the menu yet. The food is inspired by Chazz's Bronx Italian roots.

We started with an appetizer of tripe, Calabrese bible tripe in spicy tomato sauce. It was actually pretty good.

We then ordered a couple of pizzas which are coal oven fired. The crust was also not bad- a little crisp and chewy. It was a surprisingly a pretty good late night meal, and unlike Pazo, it's neighbor, there is no dress code.

I'm hoping they play Bullets Over Broadway next time.

We then ordered a couple of pizzas which are coal oven fired. The crust was also not bad- a little crisp and chewy. It was a surprisingly a pretty good late night meal, and unlike Pazo, it's neighbor, there is no dress code.

I'm hoping they play Bullets Over Broadway next time.

Got there Sunday after a great Orioles game. Sure, I'm just a fool for coal-fired pizza.

While their website is still under construction, their Facebook page is updated with the menu.

It helps to preview the menu before arriving because the multiple-sizes of paper and varied fonts are just too much to take in when being hit by the retro-Bronx decor and out-of-place synth-pop soundtrack. Similarly, the initial contact with our waiter and busman were jarring. Thankfully, after a food runner plunked my app down on top the menu I was reading, the service settled into a reasonable groove.

The pizza is a work in progress. Our Margherita's toppings were fresh and in the neopolitan proportions. The crust was tasteless and flat, but slighly crisp with a small amount of char. My +1 had a clear view of the pizza station and was saddened to see the senior pizzaiolo standby as a junior staffer tossed our crust. He went through the motions like someone mimicing a training video without stretching out the dough.

I'll head back to Cinghiale next time, but with some maturing Chazz may be worth another Sunday try.

Dropped into Chazz last night for a late night dinner. It looks like their menu has expanded out now to include more items.

I tried the pizza with egg, pancetta, & chard. It was great- the crust was cooked beautifully this time. I also had an appetizer size of the linguine bolognese. The pasta was fresh and delicious.

I'm actually pretty happy that this restaurant is in the Harbor East area- it's fits well as a moderately priced casual dining option.