Lucky Peach

Toogs

I finally got my hands on the first issue of the new journal, Lucky Peach, from the combined efforts of David Chang and Zero Point Zero. So far, so good. Like no other food writing I've read. And I am saving what appears to be the most promising article: "Bourdain, Dufresne, and Chang, Drunk and Ranting" for last.

Issue one is devoted to ramen. Like 200 pages devoted to ramen. So it's got a depth most food magazines (at least the ones I have read and heard of) can't approach.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/luckypeach

Just received my overdue Winter issue. I am now carrying it around like a security blanket. There's a recipe for burnt miso butterscotch that sounds really unappetizing, but the other dessert recipes seem much more intriguing. I've only read the article on Central Asian apricots so far, love the sheet of funny fruit stickers inserted in the middle of the issue. I like the one that says "picked by robots." :)

Just received my overdue Winter issue. I am now carrying it around like a security blanket. There's a recipe for burnt miso butterscotch that sounds really unappetizing, but the other dessert recipes seem much more intriguing. I've only read the article on Central Asian apricots so far, love the sheet of funny fruit stickers inserted in the middle of the issue. I like the one that says "picked by robots." :)

And here I was thinking that my issue that just arrived was way late, although the folks at McSweeny's were informative and apologetic via email when I inquired.

I got this email today (and Issue 2 in the mail):

Dear Lucky Peach subscribers,

We've just been informed that the USPS is working through prolonged and unresolvable delays of many periodical mailings. It's a much wider problem than just our nascent food magazine, but it has caused a majority of Issue 2 to be delayed or, worse, still undelivered. So, first: our deepest apologies for this delay. We feel awful about it, and we're working to correct this problem.

For those of you who have yet to receive your copy of the magazine: please write to custservice@mcsweeneys.net with your name and address (so we can check your magazine's status in our system before re-sending your magazine). Sunra Thompson, our customer service director, will confirm receipt of your email, and make sure a replacement magazine is sent via Fedex. If you are awaiting a response to your customer service query, Sunra will get to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we're in the process of finding faster options for future issues. Suffice it to say, our goal is for your magazine to arrive before it appears on newsstands. We really value your support as subscribers and we'll do everything we can to make sure you're the first to receive future issues.

Thanks for reading and happy holidays,

McSweeney's

Anyone who subscribes to Lucky Peach without also subscribing to Flavor Magazine needs to rethink their priorities.

hmm, I don't know Don...completely different type of publication. Lucky Peach is much more of fan boy type publication, like an early Giant Robot. Flavor looks to be like a localized Saveur Magazine (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

I'm liking Lucky Peach, for a lot of reasons, but not the least of which is the occasional Mark Ibold piece on Lancaster County. He is apprently the Southeastern Pennsylvania "correspondent" for Lucky Peach, which is a job title I would love to have. His pieces on Lebanon Bologna, Hodecker's celery, and Cope's Corn, so far, have been wonderful -- for me, real tear-jerkers because of the nostalgia and also because of how frikkin' awesome (and simultaneously unknown) the food products of Lancaster County can be. His recent tribute to Capt Gus, he of the best little steak shop in Lancaster, reminded me of all that I miss in this area....

http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/lancaster/Founder-of-Captain-Gus-s-Steak-Shop-dies-at-age-86/-/9704306/15441582/-/c2ugt1z/-/index.html

Ha! You know Mark Ibold?!?!?

I had no idea he was a "food correspondent", and I must admit, I didn't get much out of his bologna article, but I did love him as the bassist for Pavement. I always wondered what he did after Pavement broke up. Now I know.