Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna Blume

Lunch

163 posts in this topic

There's a breakfast thread and a very long, long-established Dinner (as in Supper vs. Jamie Oliver's cause and Ladies) thread. There are meet-ups for lunch at places and you can chronicle your mid-day repasts under "What Are You Eating Now?", but as far as I can tell, this is the neglected meal.

So, Saturday, right after returning home from the farmers market:

Scrambled eggs w fresh, minced chives and rich, yellow feta from Jersey cows (who live in Southern Pennyslvania)
Toasted, buttered Struan
Last-of-the-sungolds, avocado, lime juice and bacon w more chives, a salad even a Jonathan would be tempted to eat
Big, juicy peach

The avocados sold in bags of four at WFM are more pricey than TJ's, but sometimes absolutely perfect. A variation on the above today since several tomatoes got punctured on the trip home:

Gazpacho in a mug w a hand-painted pair of tomatoes on the side
Bacon, mashed avocado and lime sandwiched on toasted Struan
Carrot sticks
Plums

Today's lunch was the last of the chilled calamari salad with lemon and parsley that I liked so much.

V8 Light, GF chicken soup because I forgot to bring GF bread to work (we always have sandwich fixings here), a few pretzels and a piece of Green and Black's Organic dark chocolate with ginger. It sounds much more appealing as I write it down then while eating it.

Spring rolls (two with shrimp, two with fried tofu) from Saigon Quan, Hechinger Drive, Springfield, VA. Washed down with Vietnamese soy milk (soybeans, water) from Thanh Son Tofu, Eden Center, Falls Church, VA.

Ham & Swiss cheese sandwiches for a crowd, grilled after tarragon* butter slathered outside each slice of rye bread; a secret flavor boost from a touch of Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle mixed with a kiss of mayo the inside...with crudite of zucchini, yellow squash, orange pepper and tzatziki dip.

*garden-picked

Caprese salad with both tomato slices and red and yellow cherry tomatoes

Tofu soup with egg, fine egg noodles and turkey sausage

Insalata Kalamata and a peach.

Variation on Salade Nicoise made w leftover tonnato sauce, the latter prepared for leftover poached chicken despite a resolution not to buy canned tuna again.

I pulled a little container of (what I thought was) roasted red pepper sauce out of the freezer, and ended up having pasta romesco. Not a bad surprise.

mock pizza: a galette of pâte brisée topped with a little parmesan (to keep the pastry from getting soggy), lemon boy, viva italia, and sungold tomatoes, genoa basil, kalamata olives, and too much mozzarella.

post-554-0-78554900-1313931750_thumb.jpg

Bacon, baby spinach, and tomato on grilled bun

Kale, white beans, mushrooms, and vinegar

Potato chips

Seared chicken breasts w/blackberry-shallot-balsamic reduction

Fried smashed baby potatoes with lemon and herbs*

Roasted green and wax beans with garlic

The idea behind the potatoes was boil til tender, smush into a ... smushy round, and pan-fry. Well, the "smush" part mostly destroyed them. I guess I overboiled? They still tasted damn awesome, though.

Yesterday, roasted cherry tomato risotto. Today, fresh tomato, basil, and goat's cheese "sauce" over spaghetti. Mmmmmmm. Tomatoes and carbs.

Turkey club with bacon, tomato, baby spinach, avocado, and goat cheese.

Potato chips

Chocolate cake

My lunch usually consists of leftovers from the previous night's dinner. Today, I'm eating some pork loin stuffed with figs and farro, left over from sometime last week.

Chickpea, cherry tomato, and pecorino romano "salad" in a lemon, olive oil dressing. I hate to say it, but I'm getting tomatoed out.

Chickpea, cherry tomato, and pecorino romano "salad" in a lemon, olive oil dressing. I hate to say it, but I'm getting tomatoed out.

I've been "corned" out this summer. Just never found any corn worth gorging on, which I do without repent when the gettin's good.

Egg salad made with Duke mayonnaise. Tasty sandwich.

No Duke mayonnaise while detoxing. No mayo period.

Pimento-cheese sandwich using crustless multigrain

Pair of deviled eggs, riff on Pedro Matamoros's, i.e. w lemon zest and juice (plus chives in mine, etc.)

Salad of roasted okra, roasted corn, heirloom tomato, red onion, etc.

Niagra grapes

Roasted red tomato and orange pepper soup w rice

Two small empanadas filled w beet greens and ricotta

Very juicy peach w handful of almonds

Fried skins from roasted tomatoes to serve as garnish....still love tomatoes, though this may have been the last week of such quality and abundance.

Today's lunch:

Tortellini soup

Bean dip, tomato, and avocado bruschetta

I haven't been doing too much of my oddball fusion cuisine lately, but I had aging avocados and tomatoes, and refried beans that had been open and in the refrigerator for a while, so instead of just toasting the baguette I had left to go along with the soup, I added some sour cream and hot sauce to the beans, chopped up the tomato and avocado and made Tex-Mex/Italian bruschetta. Very good.