Lunch - The Mid-Day, Polyphonic Food Blog

Anna Blume

There's a breakfast thread and a very long, long-established Dinner (as in Supper vs. Jamie Oliver's cause and Ladies) thread. There are meet-ups for lunch at places and you can chronicle your mid-day repasts under "What Are You Eating Now?", but as far as I can tell, this is the neglected meal.

So, Saturday, right after returning home from the farmers market:

Scrambled eggs w fresh, minced chives and rich, yellow feta from Jersey cows (who live in Southern Pennyslvania)
Toasted, buttered Struan
Last-of-the-sungolds, avocado, lime juice and bacon w more chives, a salad even a Jonathan would be tempted to eat
Big, juicy peach

The avocados sold in bags of four at WFM are more pricey than TJ's, but sometimes absolutely perfect. A variation on the above today since several tomatoes got punctured on the trip home:

Gazpacho in a mug w a hand-painted pair of tomatoes on the side
Bacon, mashed avocado and lime sandwiched on toasted Struan
Carrot sticks
Plums

V8 Light, GF chicken soup because I forgot to bring GF bread to work (we always have sandwich fixings here), a few pretzels and a piece of Green and Black's Organic dark chocolate with ginger. It sounds much more appealing as I write it down then while eating it.

Ham & Swiss cheese sandwiches for a crowd, grilled after tarragon* butter slathered outside each slice of rye bread; a secret flavor boost from a touch of Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle mixed with a kiss of mayo the inside...with crudite of zucchini, yellow squash, orange pepper and tzatziki dip.

*garden-picked

Seared chicken breasts w/blackberry-shallot-balsamic reduction

Fried smashed baby potatoes with lemon and herbs*

Roasted green and wax beans with garlic

The idea behind the potatoes was boil til tender, smush into a ... smushy round, and pan-fry. Well, the "smush" part mostly destroyed them. I guess I overboiled? They still tasted damn awesome, though.

Chickpea, cherry tomato, and pecorino romano "salad" in a lemon, olive oil dressing. I hate to say it, but I'm getting tomatoed out.

I've been "corned" out this summer. Just never found any corn worth gorging on, which I do without repent when the gettin's good.

Egg salad made with Duke mayonnaise. Tasty sandwich.

No Duke mayonnaise while detoxing. No mayo period.

Pimento-cheese sandwich using crustless multigrain

Pair of deviled eggs, riff on Pedro Matamoros's, i.e. w lemon zest and juice (plus chives in mine, etc.)

Salad of roasted okra, roasted corn, heirloom tomato, red onion, etc.

Niagra grapes

Roasted red tomato and orange pepper soup w rice

Two small empanadas filled w beet greens and ricotta

Very juicy peach w handful of almonds

Fried skins from roasted tomatoes to serve as garnish....still love tomatoes, though this may have been the last week of such quality and abundance.

Today's lunch:

Tortellini soup

Bean dip, tomato, and avocado bruschetta

I haven't been doing too much of my oddball fusion cuisine lately, but I had aging avocados and tomatoes, and refried beans that had been open and in the refrigerator for a while, so instead of just toasting the baguette I had left to go along with the soup, I added some sour cream and hot sauce to the beans, chopped up the tomato and avocado and made Tex-Mex/Italian bruschetta. Very good.

So for Christmas lunch I did lasagne as discussed earlier in the Simmering thread. At Anna Blume's suggestion, I was guided by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. I largely followed her recipe "Lasagne of Emilia-Romagna" on p. 165 of The Splendid Table, but with plain home-made egg pasta rather than spinach pasta. That recipe in turn uses the "Country-Style Ragu" on p. 48, which I followed with a couple of changes: I had some guanciale, so I used that instead of pancetta, and I left the veal out of the ground meat, which otherwise was beef chuck, pork loin, and prosciutto. I also found that LRK's 50 minutes in a 350-degree oven, 40 minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered, would have been too much. Judging by taking the temperature with an instant-read thermometer, 25 minutes covered and then 10 minutes uncovered was just right. Served with a bottle of Luigi Einaudi dolcetto, which I had bought two bottles of to serve with lasagne for Christmas lunch in 2009 on Dean Gold's recommendation, but had only opened one. It was a 2007, and was even nicer with two more years in the bottle. Also had a lovely salad of rocket and lamb's lettuce dressed with olive oil and lemon juice, which was provided by my mother.

Telecommuting on a cold, cold day, so lunch from the fridge. Salad of mixed lettuces and endives with toasted pecans, cara cara orange, dried cranberries, goat's cheese, and a tarragon vinaigrette. I need to do a pantry challenge and use up the odds and ends in the house.

My lunches have consisted of leftover paella for some time now - today vegetarian, previously chicken/shrimp/chorizo. I'm making the paella as a fundraiser for our upcoming marathon in Madrid, and whenever I don't sell a whole batch, the unsold portions wind up feeding me and my husband. Not a bad deal, though I am getting a little weary of the dish (even though it is delicious, if I do say so myself).

I recommend stuffing leftover braised greens (dry, chopped or not) and bacon in between two layers of really good, melty cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich. I my case: Struan bread, buttered pan, and Keswick's Wallaby cheese.

Today: Sous-vide "braised" pork belly (Red Apron--very loinish, meaty slices, though, w slabs of crisping fat concentrated on one end) over butternut-turnip-apple hash w a hard cider gastrique. Ripped off a photo of dish at PS 7.

Burning-lip hippie chili mixed w scallions, sour cream and cubes of Dragon's Breath cheese.

Doctored the old Moosewood recipe that substitutes coarse bulgur for ground meat in a very midwestern/east coast concept of chili w tomatoes and beans. Instead of bulgur, the whole wheat couscous that I never touch and all the chopped bell peppers from CSA shares frozen last November. Since I use dried chilies instead of keeping chili powder on hand, I decided to throw in a couple of teaspoons of chili from a package of ground spices sold to tourists in Thailand which turned out to be fresher and stronger than anticipated.

Leftover pork from last night

Brussels sprout hash

One of the things I love about teleworking is being able to actually cook something for lunch, rather than reheat in the microwave. (Okay, I just reheated the pork, but veggies are just sooooo much better made fresh.)

Huge salad of blanched Red Russian kale florets, sizzled red spring onions, slivers of Tuscan kale, Irish brown bread as croutons anchovies and burrata. Champagne mango. And later, four squares of Politically Correct chocolate (Divine, Dark with Mint--like Girl Scout cookies only better) and half a cup of coffee.

After packing myself a totally appropriate and well rounded lunch, I went downstairs to our deli and got a chicken filet sub. Fried chicken breast pieces with lettuce, tomato and mayo on a sub roll. I haven't eaten something like that in so long. And it was good, worth the work out that will be done later to counter out those calories. Every now and then you just have to have something you want, but don't need.

Peanut butter and jelly on toasted raisin bread*

Fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple, in 2% Fage yogurt with a drizzle of blue agave syrup)

*Skippy, Smucker's strawberry, and Pepperidge Farm